Lions CUT WR Breshad Perriman

The Lions are releasing Breshad Perriman as part of their first round of roster cuts, Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports. ESPN first reported the move early Monday.

NFL teams have until 4 p.m. Tuesday to reach the 53-man roster limit. The Lions are now at 79 players.

Perriman's release comes as little surprise after he finished with one catch for 6 yards this preseason and had more drops (two) than catches (one) against the Colts.

The son of ex-Lions receiver Brett Perriman, Breshad missed time in training camp with a hip injury and was only modestly productive when healthy.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jetsrule128 said:

The Lions are releasing Breshad Perriman as part of their first round of roster cuts, Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports. ESPN first reported the move early Monday.

NFL teams have until 4 p.m. Tuesday to reach the 53-man roster limit. The Lions are now at 79 players.

Perriman's release comes as little surprise after he finished with one catch for 6 yards this preseason and had more drops (two) than catches (one) against the Colts.

The son of ex-Lions receiver Brett Perriman, Breshad missed time in training camp with a hip injury and was only modestly productive when healthy.

Not surprising.  Amazing that there were a significant number of Jets fans who wanted to keep Perriman this year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

LOL. Classic 1st round bust. Beware WRs drafted by Baltimore Ravens.

Hollywood Brown hasn't been bad.  How Boykin and Duvernay turn out remains to be seen, but joining that team is different than joining a bottom of the barrel team.  Guys have to contribute right away.  They are not getting volume to develop.  They drafted Darren Waller in the 6th.  If it weren't for the substance abuse issues that probably would have been a nice pick.  Have to say I am not the biggest fan of Bateman, so he will probably be great.

• Upvote 2

He was a patch.  We practically turned over our entire WR room in 2 years.  It looks like one of the strongest parts of the team right now.  Not sure what anyone's complaining about?

Hoped he would be better last year thought he was a 1 to 2 year band aid at best.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

Not saying Sam is going to be great this season, but he definitely has a chance to shut some people up and have a very nice year.  He had Crowder to begin last year and that was it.  That’s a complete joke.  The rest of his starting skill positions are out of the league 

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Dcat said:

LOL. Classic 1st round bust. Beware WRs drafted by Baltimore Ravens.  As if we Jets fans have anything to brag about....  we have been even worse at drafting WRs.  Man, if Mims busts out then the curse continues. 

the jets receiver curse is in the second round.  of course they did draft lam jones in the first long ago.  that didn't work out very well.

20 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Not saying Sam is going to be great this season, but he definitely has a chance to shut some people up and have a very nice year.  He had Crowder to begin last year and that was it.  That’s a complete joke.  The rest of his starting skill positions are out of the league 

Jamison Crowder says 'what?'

47 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

The old weaponz defense.

Sanchez just needed

Geno just needed

Sam just needed

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Saul Goodman said:

Lot of people were arguing at this time last year that Perriman is better than Robby. 

yep they sure were and praising Joe for the deal as well

sam will thrive for the panthers-he actually has real talent around him-CMAC and Robby vs  the Frank  Gore and Perriman he had with the jets lol

• Upvote 1

How bad of a WR do you have to be to be cut by the Lions this year?   Look at their WR room, it rivals those of the Jets from the past few years.  

Perriman is a cautionary tale that if you can’t catch the ball in college, you aren’t going to be able to catch the ball in the NFL, no matter how fast you can run.   

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

And yet Perriman and Mims looked pretty good with Flacco under center.  Not so much at all with Darnold.  Wonder why.    

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And yet Perriman and Mims looked pretty good with Flacco under center.  Not so much at all with Darnold.  Wonder why.    

No , they didn't .  Flacco is a backup.  Mims is running with a third team and Perriman is gone.  Your overrating Flacco in a game where backups were starting on D.  But, the regular season will tell all.  No need to bicker and I don't post 1000xs a day

54 minutes ago, kmnj said:

yep they sure were and praising Joe for the deal as well

sam will thrive for the panthers-he actually has real talent around him-CMAC and Robby vs  the Frank  Gore and Perriman he had with the jets lol

I, too, am very interested to see how good Sam Darnold will be with a WR like... Robby Anderson.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I remember when people around here collectively pee'd their pants for signing him last offseason.  

I thought he was a good risk-reward type signing, and better value than Robby at his price. Still think that; the nature of risk-reward signings is sometimes you get the downside, not the upside, and I still don't think Robby is worth 10M+ per year (which basically had him as a top-25 WR last year, which he wasn't

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

How bad of a WR do you have to be to be cut by the Lions this year?   Look at their WR room, it rivals those of the Jets from the past few years.  

Perriman is a cautionary tale that if you can’t catch the ball in college, you aren’t going to be able to catch the ball in the NFL, no matter how fast you can run.   

Sounds like the Chase kid from LSU is turning that old axiom around.

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

He also had terrible pre-snap awareness, pocket awareness, mechanics, decision making skills…..

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

a terrible coach, no line no rb no tight ends and no wrs paired with a terrible coach-he is lucky he made it out of NY alive

Sam now can drop off to cmac or throw deep to robby a- sam will be a very good qb for the panthers this year-do I think Sam is an elite QB no but I think he will be very good 

On 8/30/2021 at 11:31 AM, Doggin94it said:

I thought he was a good risk-reward type signing, and better value than Robby at his price. Still think that; the nature of risk-reward signings is sometimes you get the downside, not the upside, and I still don't think Robby is worth 10M+ per year (which basically had him as a top-25 WR last year, which he wasn't

He was 26th last year in average contract money last year (link). Given his production in the 2020 season you're scoffing at, $10MM/yr is an under-market contract. If he was a FA following that season instead of a second season with Darnold he'd have gotten much closer to the $15MM/yr he was seeking. 

Other than guys still on their rookie contracts, how many receivers behind him (in $) were noticeably better and more productive in 2020? I'm not really seeing any who are clearly/objectively superior. 

How many WR making more than RA were not as effective last year? Jeffery, Tyrell Williams, E.Sanders, TY Hilton, Fitzgerald, Shepard, Boyd, AJ Green, OBJ -- none of those 9 top 25 WRs by money were top 25 in production last year either (nor even measured up to RA's numbers with the WR-maker gunslinger Bridgewater). That's not even counting superior and pricier WRs like Thomas, Kupp, & Woods who had down, less-productive years in 2020.

He was worth the $ differential between money to a cap-rich Jets team looking to see whether or not its golden boy QB was worth not just keeping for a 4th season, but also reinvesting in a ~$20MM guaranteed 5th year. On an amortized basis, the team saved very little cash between the two WRs considering that importance. 

What's done is done, I'm very happy WR is finally looking like a Jets team strength (at least on paper thus far), but it wasn't a prudent choice at the time. However things worked out in spite of a poor decision, the plan was never for Perriman to be such an unreliable disappointment he wasn't worth retaining for a second season and the team had to go WR shopping again in both FA (x 2) plus with another high draft pick.

Hey, bad decisions can still work out to a team's benefit. It might be that this is such a case, and I'm hoping it is. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

I, too, am very interested to see how good Sam Darnold will be with a WR like... Robby Anderson.

Well Sammy will not have the excuses he had here and those excuses were 100% valid.  Worst coach in the league by a country mile.  Laughable WRs most who got hurt, no TEs, no Oline, no RBs.

He has tons more to work with in Carolina, starting with a good oc and do it all RB.

Will be interesting to watch what happens.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

I don't see it. Their OL is as bas as ours was last year, and even when he plays well like he did over the weekend he is on the edge of having a bad day. He is just not very good in my view.