Jets Cuts to 53

Lith

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

LOL...I hadn't considered that.  But a quick check shows that everything he does here, he mirrors there.

image.png

Only apparently we got one more '!' than they did (lucky us).

Who has that kind of time or energy?

Hey why not, he's being paid by some Florida College while "working from home"  :) 

No wonder the tuition I'm paying for my kid is so high.  LOL 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

JETS 53 MAN ROSTER
(As of August 30, 2021)

TOTAL: 78
Moves Still to Be Made: 25

I believe that Joe Douglas intends to make full use of the #2 waiver priority.  To do that, we will cut to 50 players and churn for three solid weeks.  Once you get past the starters, nobody is really safe. It is what I would do.  It is simple logic that other teams have better rosters and their trash is better than ours.  It is mini-draft time.

These cuts bring the roster to 50 players.  23 on offense.  24 on defense plus the kicker, punter and long snapper.  Once we have cut down to 53 players and submitted the final roster to the league, we will put Jared Davis and Conor McDermott on recall IR which will shelve them both for the first six weeks.  Then we will add five players from other teams.  We will cut and waive players for the next five weeks until we lose the #2 waiver priority after week three of the regular season.  It will be a huge revolving door.  I truly believe that Joe Douglas intends to make use of it while he can.

Why are we cutting players before we pick up peopleon waivers? Makes no sense.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jetsrule128 said:

Keep in mind the Jets have not announced anything. All these are rumors. 

I love that you're so passionate about the fringe roster players.  Being dead serious.  I know you get a lot of sh*t for it but I think it's really cool.  These guys need more fans in their corner, battling for a roster spot in the NFL is no joke.  It's hard.  Some of these dudes are in 3-4 different camps a year, for years trying to make it.  That's a brutal life.  I just heard Urban Myer signed Devin Smith.  Granted he was a 2nd rounder but still, the guy is still out there trying to make a roster and he's made a nut at least.  Many of the UDFA's, never see the final 53 and do this sh*t for years.  Crazy.

Anyway, kudos to you. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Why are we cutting players before we pick up peopleon waivers? Makes no sense.

You cut them when you claim people.  This will happen regularly and you need to be nimble.  You have to know who is going before you put in a claim.  The Jets have cut past the minimum number in prior years to make room for waiver wire cuts.   It is not an uncommon practice.

Remember, if you are awarded a player on waivers, that player must go on the roster and somebody must come off it.  If you put in five claims, you will need to make room for those players. 

I am saying we will put in five claims.  Guys will stay a week and the process will repeat.  The bottom of the roster will be in flux until after the third week of the season.

36 minutes ago, nycdan said:

LOL...I hadn't considered that.  But a quick check shows that everything he does here, he mirrors there.

image.png

Only apparently we got one more '!' than they did (lucky us).

Who has that kind of time or energy?

My gawd.  lol  And he does this on Twitter too?

I think I'm actually envious, your average human doesnt have this type of commitment to anything.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

You cut them when you claim people.  This will happen regularly and you need to be nimble.  You have to know who is going before you put in a claim.  The Jets have cut past the minimum number in prior years to make room for waiver wire cuts.   It is not an uncommon practice.

Remember, if you are awarded a player on waivers, that player must go on the roster and somebody must come off it.  If you put in five claims, you will need to make room for those players. 

I am saying we will put in five claims.  Guys will stay a week and the process will repeat.  The bottom of the roster will be in flux until after the third week of the season.

I get the premise and I posted a similar thing a week ago or so. I think we will make claims and JD basically told you he is going to. I just wouldn't cut someone until we got the replacement

22 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

JETS 53 MAN ROSTER
(As of August 30, 2021)

TOTAL: 78
Moves Still to Be Made: 25

I believe that Joe Douglas intends to make full use of the #2 waiver priority.  To do that, we will cut to 50 players and churn for three solid weeks.  Once you get past the starters, nobody is really safe. It is what I would do.  It is simple logic that other teams have better rosters and their trash is better than ours.  It is mini-draft time.

Offense - 23

Quarterback  
(3

•   2 -  Zach Wilson  6'2" 214 BYU (QB) (2021 Draft Pick - 1st Round)  
  •   5 - Mike White 6'5" 218 Western Kentucky (QB)    
  •   4 - James Morgan 6'4" 229 FIU (QB)   (Signed Thru 2023)

While Johnson outplayed Morgan, he is less valuable due to age.  I would gamble that he will not be picked up and we can put him on the practice squad.  I am keeping three QBs because of COVID.

Running Back (3

• 23 - Tevin Coleman 6'1" 210 Indiana (RB)  - Free Agent Signing from 49ers
  • 22 - La'Michael Perine 5'11" 216 Florida  (RB)  (Signed Thru 2023)
  • 32 - Michael Carter  5'8" 201 North Carolina (RB) (2021 Draft Pick - 4th Round) 

I cut Adams and Johnson in the belief that Adams will be available to put on the practice squad.  If Johnson cleared waivers, I would sign him too. 

Tight End  (3

• 89 - Chris Herndon 6'4" 253 Miami (TE)    (Signed Thru 2021)
  • 81 - Tyler Kroft 6'6" 252 Rutgers (TE)  - Free Agent Signing from Bills
  • 85 - Trevon Wesco 6'3" 267  West Virginia  (TE/FB)    (Signed Thru 2022)

I cut Griffin, Yeboah and Brown.  If Yeboah clears waivers, I add him to the practice squad and make him a protected player (you can protect four I believe).  After cut-a-rama and claim-a-rama.  I bring back Brown.  The only reason I keep Wesco is as the fullback.  If we like a final cut better for that job, then so be it. 

Wide Receiver (5

• 84 - Corey Davis 6'3" 209 Western Michigan (WR)  - Free Agent Signing from Titans
  • 88 - Keelan Cole 6'1" 194 Kentucky Wesleyan (WR)  - Free Agent Signing from Jaguars
  • 82 - Jamison Crowder 5'9" 177 Duke (WR)  (Signed Thru 2021)
  •   8 - Elijah Moore  5'10" 178 Mississippi (WR) (2021 Draft Pick - 2nd Round)  
  • 11 - Denzel Mims 6'3" 207 Baylor (WR)  (Signed Thru 2023)
  • 10 - Braxton Berrios  5'9" 190  Miami (FL) (WR/KR)    (Signed Thru 2021)
  • 17 - Vyncint Smith 6'3" 202 Limestone (WR)   (Re-signed Restricted Free Agent)
  • 16 - Jeff Smith 6'0" 195  Boston College   (WR)   (Re-signed Exclusive Rights Free Agent)
  • 14 - DJ Montgomery 6'1" 201 Austin Peay (WR) (Reserve Future Contract)  

I cut Montgomery, Berrios and the Smiths.  Really tough cuts but if we want to milk the #2 waiver priority, we have to get down well below 53. 

Offensive Line (9

• 77 - Mekhi Becton 6'7" 365 Louisville (T)     (Signed Thru 2024)
  • 75 - Alijah Vera-Tucker 6'4" 308 USC (G/TB) (2021 Draft Pick - 1st Round) 
  • 60 - Conner McGovern 6'4" 306 Missouri (C)     (Signed Thru 2022)
  • 62 - Greg Van Roten 6'3" 303 Penn (G)    (Signed Thru 2022)
  • 78 - Morgan Moses 6'6" 318 Virginia (T)  (Signed Thru 2021)  - Free Agent Signing from WFT
  • 76 - George Fant 6'5" 322 Western Kentucky (T)     (Signed Thru 2022)   
  • 67 - Dan Feeney 6'4" 310 Indiana (G/C)  - Free Agent Signing from Chargers
  •  
  • 69 - Conor McDermott 6'8" 305 UCLA (G/T)  (Signed Thru 2021) (Injured?)
  •  
  • 78 - Grant Hermanns 6'7" 305 Purdue (OL) (2021 UDFA)
  •  

I put McDermott on recall IR which puts him out for 6 weeks.  But - like Jared Davis LB - he has to make the roster before we can put him on recall IR.  I cut Murray, Levin, Williams, Edoga and Moore.  If Moore clears waivers, I add him to the practice squad.  Good looking player Moore.  Plus he adds to the Jets name issues.  In Becton, Moses and Hermanns.  The Jets have solidified a problem area.  Next year, we will add depth and let Fant walk.  If Moses does not wish to stay, we could do a lot worse than big Grant Hermanns at RT.  Never forget, it is a never ending quest to get younger.   

I am searching for a veteran interior lineman and am willing to pay.   As a Jet fan, I am annoyed that I have to do this.  But way too much is riding on AVT's health for my liking.    That person gets spot #10 and hopefully puts GVR on the bench if AVT is healthy.

Defense  - 24

Defensive Line  8

• 98 - Sheldon Rankins 6'2" 305 Louisville (DT)  - Free Agent Signing from Saints
  • 95 - Quinnen Williams 6'3" 303 Alabama  (DT)  (Signed Thru 2023)  
  • 94 - Foley Fatukasi 6'4" 318 UCONN (DE/DT)    (Signed Thru 2021)   
  • 91 - John Franklin-Myers  6'4" 288  Stephen F Austin   (DE) (Signed Thru 2021)
  • xx - Shaq Lawson 6'3" 270 Clemson  (DE) 
  • 97 - Nathan Shepherd 6'4" 315 Ft. Hays State (DE/DT)  (Signed Thru 2021)
  • 47 - Bryce Huff 6'3" 255 Memphis (OLB)  (Signed Thru 2022)
  • 93 - Kyle Phillips 6'4" 277  Tennessee (DE)   (Signed Thru 2021)  *** Active Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) ***
  • 96 - Jonathan Marshall 6'3" 310 Arkansas (DT) (2021 Draft Pick - 6th Round)  

What a miserable experience!  These are the hardest cuts.  I cut Blair, Smart, Zuniga, Rashed, Valoaga and Adeoye.  Phillips goes on the PUP.  I did not want to cut Rashed.  Obviously a good candidate for the practice squad.

Linebacker   (5

• 57 - CJ Mosley 6'2" 250 Alabama (ILB)     (2020 Opt Out) (Signed Thru 2024)
  • 52 - Jarrad Davis 6'1" 245 Florida (ILB)  - Free Agent Signing from Lions (INJURED)
  • 45 - Hamsah Nasirildeen   6'3" 215 Florida State (OLB/S?) (2021 Draft Pick - 6th Round)  
  • 53 - Blake Cashman 6'1" 237 Minnesota (ILB)    (Signed Thru 2022)
  • 44 - Jamien Sherwood  6'2" 216 Auburn (OLB/S?) (2021 Draft Pick - 5th Round)  
  •  

I cut Phillips, Eifler and Dawkins.  After we cut down and add J Davis to recall IR, it will open up a spot for another linebacker.  This will prove important after Cashman goes out for the season.

Cornerback   (7

• 31 - Blessaun Austin 6'1" 198 Rutgers (CB) (Signed Thru 2022)
  • 37 - Bryce Hall 6'1" 202 UVA (CB) (Signed Thru 2023)
  • 25 - Brandin Echols  5'10" 180 Kentucky (CB) (2021 Draft Pick - 6th Round
  • 36 - Isaiah Dunn 5'11" 189 Oregon State (CB) (2021 UDFA) 
  • 34 - Justin Hardee 6'1" 194 Illinois (CB)  - Free Agent Signing from Saints (special teamer?)

"Slot" Cornerback   (

• 40 - Javelin Guidry 5'9" 191 Utah (CB) (Signed Thru 2021)
  • 30 - Michael Carter II 5'10" 184 Duke (S/CB) (2021 Draft Pick - 5th Round)  
  •  

I cut Pinnock and Campbell to go with seven corners one of whom is a full-time special teamer.  I am fine with putting Pinnock on the practice squad if he clears waivers.   Nor am I concerned with keeping UDFA Dunn over a draft pick.  Neither was highly regarded going into the draft.  Pinnock is all projection based on analytics and Dunn plays special teams. 

Safety   (4

• 20 - Marcus Maye 6'0" 210 Florida  (S)  (FRANCHISE TAG)  
  • 29 - Lamarcus Joyner 5'8" 185 Florida State (S/CB)  - Free Agent Signing from Raiders
  • 21 - Ashtyn Davis 6'1" 202 Cal (S)  (Signed Thru 2023)  
  • 35 - Sharrod Neasman 5'11" 213 Florida Atlantic (S)  

I cut Hassell.  I would cut Neasman too but Davis missed all of camp.   

Special Teams  - 3

Punter 

• 7 - Braden Mann 5'11" 198 Texas A+M (P)      (Signed Thru 2023)

Kicker  

• 6 - Matt Ammendola 5'9" 195 Oklahoma State (PK)   

Long Snapper    

• 42 - Thomas Hennessy 6'2" 246 Duke (LS) (Signed Thru 2023)

These cuts bring the roster to 50 players.  23 on offense.  24 on defense plus the kicker, punter and long snapper.  Once we have cut down to 53 players and submitted the final roster to the league, we will put Jared Davis and Conor McDermott on recall IR which will shelve them both for the first six weeks.  Then we will add five players from other teams.  We will cut and waive players for the next five weeks until we lose the #2 waiver priority after week three of the regular season.  It will be a huge revolving door.  I truly believe that Joe Douglas intends to make use of it while he can.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets

no way we cut Ty Johnson. he was the best player this preseason not named Zach Wilson. plus RB will be a big  on this offense. we keep 4 maybe 5. i would keep Adams too over Perine. i dont see why everyone thinks he so special. out of all the RBs he had the worst preseason  

your cutting Berrios? then who is returning your kicks. he already made the team that why they held him out of the last game.

i think we cut Herndon. the guy cant be trusted after his horrendous drops last year. i go with Yeboah. i will explain on the bottom.

cant really argue with you on the OL. priority #1 is to keep Wilson upright.

same with DL. i do like Rashed. he could stay.

Pinnock stays. just like Yeboah i think we give some kids a chance. i really dont think JD is going to go crazy at the Waivers unless its at OL to help protect Wilson. 

why bring in some vets to take away snaps from the kids when were not wining anything this year. maybe JD drafted some gems. the UDFA too. unless its the line. if a stud becomes available we need to get him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

had my eye on Cushenberry, starting for denver now, not sure if he’s a zone guy or not. But I think Ashytyn Davis’s upside was rated several tiers ahead of guys like him. Liked the Cardinal RT as well Josh Jones. 

(the one that got me In Real time was the James Morgan over Gabriel Davis WR but anyway…)

Cushenberry.  Damien Lewis.  The guy on the Patriots.  All would be more valuable to this team than the guys actually picked. 

9 hours ago, Lith said:
First two cuts to be reported (I will keep this post updated as additional cuts are announced over next day.
  1. CB Lamar Jackson
  2. WR Lawrence Cager
  3. DB Bennett Jackson (corresponding move to Shaq Lawson trade)
  4. S JT Hassell
  5. DL Aaron Adeoye
  6. OL Corey Levin
  7. DL Jeremiah Valoaga

First cuts announced.  Not surprised by either.  Cager was a numbers game at WR and he doesn't play STs.  jackson I asssumed was a bubble player.  Maybe practice squad.

The plan is to sign Jalen Hurd when the 49ers cut him this week.  :)