Jets Cuts to 53

Lith

Morgan has been but awful every time is takes the field.
potential for working at wal mart maybe not throwing passes in this league 
Whelp..... we will know today if Saleh and Douglas agree with you.... or not. For whatever that is worth.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, Larz said:

It’s not excitement. Johnson has 8 career starts and was in San Francisco last year 

White and Morgan have never thrown a pass in an NFL game. 

Its more like a test of JDs common sense. 

Personally, JD lost a bit of his QB common sense when he left us with White and Morgan as backups.  Substituting Johnson in with these two would have been inconsequential if not worse.

Just now, munchmemory said:

Personally, JD lost a bit of his QB common sense when he left us with White and Morgan as backups.  Substituting Johnson in with these two would have been inconsequential if not worse.

Agree either way it’s a mess. They will start getting ready for Carolina soon so we’ll know probably by Thursday if he has been eyeing a trade or makes a waiver claim. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Exactly, if Wilson goes down there not Winning, not matter what scrub is behind Center.

I was surprised by the Johnson cut and here's why. I get what you're saying but think if we are say, 3-2 and Wilson get a twisted ankle and needs a week to heal up real quick.  Wouldn't it make sense for the backup to be able to win a single game until Wilson comes back? 

I like the idea of going young this year and I support the grooming of all the noobs we have on the roster, but I thought JJ was clearly better than either QB at the moment and it made sense to supplement our young roster with a vet QB.  Oh well. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I was surprised by the Johnson cut and here's why. I get what you're saying but think if we are say, 3-2 and Wilson get a twisted ankle and needs a week to heal up real quick.  Wouldn't it make sense for the backup to be able to win a single game until Wilson comes back? 

I like the idea of going young this year and I support the grooming of all the noobs we have on the roster, but I thought JJ was clearly better than either QB at the moment and it made sense to supplement our young roster with a vet QB.  Oh well. 

Nobody's signing him. No need to waste a roster spot.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

There is still time to pickup a QB who will be cut or was cut already.  This could happen tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I can’t believe people are upset about Josh Johnson lol 

Frankly, I don’t think either White or Morgan is going to be the backup.

Someone like Nick Mullens will probably be a Jet within a few days.

Not sure it has been confirmed that Johnson has been cut, but at this point, I would not be spruprised at all if we put in a waiver claim for Nick Mullens, cut Johnson and stash either White or Morgan on the practice squad.

This team is not likely winning anything this year, but we still need a competent back-up who can run an NFL offense if Zach is unavailable.  We have a ton of young guys on offense that need to develop, not only the QB.  If we send a Falk/Simms/McElroy type back up out there, it would be a lost season for all the young guys on offense.

If the CS thinks White/Morgan are ready to do that, then fine, roll with the young guy.  If not, I would feel better about Mullens as an experienced guy than Johnson.

Either way, will be an interesting next couple of days.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Of course you are right.  Johnson was clearly the best backup.

However, in the open market, would another team pick him up?  He is 35 years old, and every team has their backup QB who knows their system.  

On the other hand, a team might take a chance on a Morgan, and try to groom him for the future, and keep him on as a backup to the backup in the meantime.  I have to believe that is what the Jets we're thinking.

White is the back up unless a vet gets cut (Foles) and can be had on the cheap. The team has already given you all the signs that they think thats a role he can fill. Morgan might get cut and stashed on the PS if Joe isn't too protective of his picks, Johnson was a camp arm that could plug and play in case something goes very wrong and could be back on the team at a later point

44 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I'd be surprised to see Morgan cut. Not because of merit or anything, but because I think the thought process was that there is a huge competitive advantage cap-wise to groom a backup QB on a rookie contract.

That and there is about a 90 % chance the season is finished if you have to go to the back up for the remainder. 

Also our chances to even make the playoffs are low not impossible but low. So why at this stage of development would you pay 10-12 mil for a seasoned back up when  you can give those reps (if needed) to grooming your own back up. So many more positive things came come out of grooming a back up 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Icer said:

White is the back up unless a vet gets cut (Foles) and can be had on the cheap. The team has already given you all the signs that they think thats a role he can fill. Morgan might get cut and stashed on the PS if Joe isn't too protective of his picks, Johnson was a camp arm that could plug and play in case something goes very wrong and could be back on the team at a later point

I'm not even sure the Jets would go after Foles. I don't think people fully grasp how bad Foles is. The Bears had Nick Foles and went out of their way to get Andy Dalton (who also isn't very good) to be their starter and then went out of their way to draft Fields. That should tell you something. 

People are still thrown by the two fluke years and ignore the other 7 years where he did nothing. If you throw out that one 27TD/2 INT year, his TD to INT numbers are 54-41. That is really bad in this era.  

• Upvote 1

Probably more likely the Jets go after Benkert - who was just let go by the Pack - then an expensive veteran like Foles.

Personally, I stick with White as the backup and hope to get Morgan onto the PS.  Johnson is only a phone-call away, if needed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I'd be surprised to see Morgan cut. Not because of merit or anything, but because I think the thought process was that there is a huge competitive advantage cap-wise to groom a backup QB on a rookie contract.

I agree with the general premise, but I'm not sure how it applies here.  How much would Morgan save compared to Johnson?  Johnson makes $1M.  Pretty sure Morgan basically makes the same and that any difference doesn't count against the cap based on the vet rules.

Before people get too worked up over initial roster cuts, it should be pointed out that Josh Johnson is a 4+ year veteran.  Maybe they don't want to guarantee his contract for the entire year and have an agreement to bring back after week 1.  In order to get Davis and McDermott on IR, they may go this route with a few guys like Neasman, Blair, Hennessey, Feeney, etc.

Knowing they're going to be active on waiver wire, I think they protect the best 53.  Worry about roster construction near end of week.  Gotta hit that interior OL in waivers.

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I agree with the general premise, but I'm not sure how it applies here.  How much would Morgan save compared to Johnson?  Johnson makes $1M.  Pretty sure Morgan basically makes the same and that any difference doesn't count against the cap based on the vet rules.

Maybe because Johnson has started 8 games in six years and was dreadful. The one year he had 4 starts he had a 50% completion percentage with 4td's and 8 Ints. and a grand total of 114 yards per game . I think that's a tad below Geno numbers.  I think both White and Morgan could very well be better than that at least I hope they are.

I don't get the fascination  with keeping bad QBs who have  "thrown a pass in the NFL before" over keeping the younger unproven options who have been in the system  all off-season. They very well could suck less than a Johnson  or a Mullens.

Josh Johnson  or Nick Mullens is not coming in to keep the season afloat. A Dalton, Trubisky or Foles might... might. That caliber of backup qb is a luxury for team that is in their window, not a team that will be Lucky to sniff .500.

Banking on a backup to do anything other than lose in a respectable manner is a fools errand. At least if Morgan or white show something  in game action you have a trade chip  or viable back up. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

That and there is about a 90 % chance the season is finished if you have to go to the back up for the remainder. 

Also our chances to even make the playoffs are low not impossible but low. So why at this stage of development would you pay 10-12 mil for a seasoned back up when  you can give those reps (if needed) to grooming your own back up. So many more positive things came come out of grooming a back up 

This right here.... 

If Zach  goes down what was already a developmental season goes to our usual NYJ ****show. 

Bad QB bad..... unproven QB unproven....

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Green, maybe my understanding is wrong but I think that what many are not considering is that teams are now allowed to sign veterans to the 16 player PS. Since Johnsons entire salary would be guaranteed on Day 1 it would seem to make the most sense to me to cut Johnson, sign him to the PS, keep Morgan as the #2 and then see if White makes it through waivers to go onto the practice squad as well. In that scenario, you can always bring up Johnson if he is needed for a game or 2.

4 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I don't get the fascination  with keeping bad QBs who have  "thrown a pass in the NFL before" over keeping the younger unproven options who have been in the system  all off-season. They very well could suck less than a Johnson  or a Mullens.

Josh Johnson  or Nick Mullens is not coming in to keep the season afloat. A Dalton, Trubisky or Foles might... might. That caliber of backup qb is a luxury for team that is in their window, not a team that will be Lucky to sniff .500.

Banking on a backup to do anything other than lose in a respectable manner is a fools errand. At least if Morgan or white show something  in game action you have a trade chip  or viable back up. 

He has thrown all of 25 passes in his 1 yr career. QB is the one position where you can afford to give a young guy time to develop. He has everything you would want to develop......size, smarts, can make every throw with ease. Other positions, you can see right away that a guy doesn't have it. Not so with a QB. If JD is gonna draft QB's in the 4th rd, and then cut them without ever seeing the kid get a chance to show something, then we have the wrong guy running this show.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Your assumption is Morgan and white aren’t tested. They have been. Neither is an nfl qb. 

Let me correct that White may be a 3rd string type guy.

Morgan will find himself out of the league like hackenberg shortly 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Exactly, if Wilson goes down there not Winning, not matter what scrub is behind Center.

I do not agree with this comment.  History has suggested that you can win with a competent back up.  The Jets just chose not to go after one.  If they at this point are worried about backup it is bad management by Douglas.

44 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm not even sure the Jets would go after Foles. I don't think people fully grasp how bad Foles is. The Bears had Nick Foles and went out of their way to get Andy Dalton (who also isn't very good) to be their starter and then went out of their way to draft Fields. That should tell you something. 

People are still thrown by the two fluke years and ignore the other 7 years where he did nothing. If you throw out that one 27TD/2 INT year, his TD to INT numbers are 54-41. That is really bad in this era.  

The Bears are brain dead when it comes to QB's.  Trubisky would be the best QB on their roster right now.  

21 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Maybe because Johnson has started 8 games in six years and was dreadful. The one year he had 4 starts he had a 50% completion percentage with 4td's and 8 Ints. and a grand total of 114 yards per game . I think that's a tad below Geno numbers.  I think both White and Morgan could very well be better than that at least I hope they are.

So what?  That was over a decade ago.  Do you think it is fair to compare Geno who was treated as the starter all through camp with what Johnson did in Washington when he was signed in December and forced to start 3 games?   The point is, they are not keeping Morgan over Johnson based on price.

In 2020, JD was obviously learning how to draft on his own and had bad coaches giving him input.  

Morgan should go back up Mac Jones in NE.  I don't see him running the Shanahan offense. I don't know whose offense I see him running-Denver?  Carolina?  San Diego?   He is a five step drop back and throw it QB-like Gase wanted, like Peyton.  

To be successful in business or in life you need to recognize when your costs are sunk.   Morgan seems like a good guy, but he is not a fit for this offense and is a sunk cost.  Benkert and Mullens are better fits.  JD should move forward. 

• Sympathy 1