I don't see Morgan getting cut.  They traded up for him last year and it was known that Bellicheat really liked him.

If Morgan gets cut I would not be surprised at all to see the Pats pick him up, especially after today's release of Newton and the Jets playing the Pats week 2.

You all know how much Bellicheat likes to pick up recently cut players of teams he is about to play.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can we please start a new thread about this since this one has turned into a pissing match about sh*tty QB's?

Fant has Waaaaay more value to us as a swing tackle/depth in this specific scheme that capitalizes on his athleticism than any draft pick could in possibly keeping Wilson upright this year.   

JETS 53 MAN ROSTER (As of August 30, 2021) TOTAL: 74 Moves Still to Be Made: 21 Offense - 37 Quarterback  (4)   2 -  Zach Wilson  6'2" 214 BYU (QB) (2021 Draft Pick - 1st Ro

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

So what?  That was over a decade ago.  Do you think it is fair to compare Geno who was treated as the starter all through camp with what Johnson did in Washington when he was signed in December and forced to start 3 games?   The point is, they are not keeping Morgan over Johnson based on price.

I agree... I was just making the point Johnson is terrible and that's why he got cut I'm not sure he was ever here as a veteran presence. So many other choices that could have been cheap made more sense if the Jets wanted that presence in the QB room

Jets fans tend to put players in either the love or hate category and Morgan seems to mostly be in the hate category. I seem to be alone in thinking that he did not look bad in preseason and he is still really just a rookie. I like his upside and prefer a developmental guy as our backup rather than a veteran who will be with the team short term and really not that much more likely to win a game if needed. There are few backup QBs that can win and none of those are really an option now. That said if the Jets had signed Trubisky it would have clouded the QB picture and led to less reps and development for Zach. So it is really less prepared Zach/solid backup to very prepared Zach/weak at backup QB. I prefer #2.

• Upvote 2
43 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I agree with the general premise, but I'm not sure how it applies here.  How much would Morgan save compared to Johnson?  Johnson makes $1M.  Pretty sure Morgan basically makes the same and that any difference doesn't count against the cap based on the vet rules.

Cost control with upside beyond this year was the point I was going for. The worst case scenario for Morgan is probably what he is now, looking generally unimpressive. The reason to keep him would be if the Jets think he can become a legit backup or a trade asset in the future.

16 minutes ago, section314 said:

He has thrown all of 25 passes in his 1 yr career. QB is the one position where you can afford to give a young guy time to develop. He has everything you would want to develop......size, smarts, can make every throw with ease. Other positions, you can see right away that a guy doesn't have it. Not so with a QB. If JD is gonna draft QB's in the 4th rd, and then cut them without ever seeing the kid get a chance to show something, then we have the wrong guy running this show.

Just want to make sure you get that I want to keep Morgan and don't mind him or White being the back up in a season where I'd rather watch the development  of our young guys. I don't want a Josh Johnson or Nick Mullens  out there they have established  what they are....bad.  Give the young arms a shot.

Our W/L record is one of the least important  things about our season this year. Everything  else goin on around it is what's important. Is Zach developing? Is Q who we think he is? Are their any mainstays moving forward at the CB position? Which WRs will emerge and show they have a place on the team moving forward? Do we or don't we have an o line? All of these and more are the important questions surrounding  the Jets this year. One of the least important  is how many games will they win? Or if Zach goes down what washed journeyman  will keep us in the playoffs hunt.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
1 minute ago, choon328 said:

Can we please start a new thread about this since this one has turned into a pissing match about sh*tty QB's?

I think it will move on when there are more cuts.  JD is really holding his cards close to his vest here.  

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Matt Slauson was never a Pro Bowler. 

You're right.  My memory failed me.  He was snubbed in 2015.  My point still remains that for whatever reasons the Jets have fielded some mediocre OLines yet have said goodbye to numerous guys who have found ways to continue playing in the NFL, in some cases at a very high level.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2015/12/23/18592046/bears-have-pro-bowl-snubs-to-consider

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I agree... I was just making the point Johnson is terrible and that's why he got cut I'm not sure he was ever here as a veteran presence. So many other choices that could have been cheap made more sense if the Jets wanted that presence in the QB room

I think Johnson was brought in to be what he is.  A 54th roster spot.  He is a QB that knows the offense and will be ready in an emergency.  You don't need to carry him, but he will be ready AND available if you need him.  I don't think he is as bad as you do, but he is not a guy anybody is hoping to have play. 

11 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Cost control with upside beyond this year was the point I was going for. The worst case scenario for Morgan is probably what he is now, looking generally unimpressive. The reason to keep him would be if the Jets think he can become a legit backup or a trade asset in the future.

I know.  The issue is that if he is not ready now, his contract is half over and you have carried him for nothing.  I think circumstances have made it difficult.  The lack of camp last year really made developmental guys tough to judge.  Especially at QB.

37 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Just want to make sure you get that I want to keep Morgan and don't mind him or White being the back up in a season where I'd rather watch the development  of our young guys. I don't want a Josh Johnson or Nick Mullens  out there they have established  what they are....bad.  Give the young arms a shot.

Our W/L record is one of the least important  things about our season this year. Everything  else goin on around it is what's important. Is Zach developing? Is Q who we think he is? Are their any mainstays moving forward at the CB position? Which WRs will emerge and show they have a place on the team moving forward? Do we or don't we have an o line? All of these and more are the important questions surrounding  the Jets this year. One of the least important  is how many games will they win? Or if Zach goes down what washed journeyman  will keep us in the playoffs hunt.

Totally get it and I agree with your post . I was just making the point that if we are going to draft young QB’s and get rid of them after 25 passes, we have major problems. Don’t want anymore recycled bums in here either.

• Upvote 3
33 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think Johnson was brought in to be what he is.  A 54th roster spot.  He is a QB that knows the offense and will be ready in an emergency.  You don't need to carry him, but he will be ready AND available if you need him.  I don't think he is as bad as you do, but he is not a guy anybody is hoping to have play. 

I know.  The issue is that if he is not ready now, his contract is half over and you have carried him for nothing.  I think circumstances have made it difficult.  The lack of camp last year really made developmental guys tough to judge.  Especially at QB.

Valid point. I don't agree with keeping Morgan for the contract situation, especially for the point you're mentioning. Btw, hope your IRL stuff is better, I know you mentioned you were going through some rough things.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Quite honestly, that's where he belongs right now.

I agree.  And I am not that worried that someone might claim him if we put him on waivers to get him through to the PS.  If they do, so be it.  He is at least another year away from being reaady to take meaningful NFL snaps.  No need to waste one of 53 roster spots on him.

• Upvote 4
2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree.  And I am not that worried that someone might claim him if we put him on waivers to get him through to the PS.  If they do, so be it.  He is at least another year away from being reaady to take meaningful NFL snaps.  No need to waste one of 53 roster spots on him.

Agree, we have a bunch of kiddos who we need to make room for on defense.

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

Sounds like Morgan may end up on practice squad.  White was clearly the bettter player from what I could see in the preseason games.

Yup. White is significantly more advanced than Morgan, and a better fit as the backup.

Morgan needs development, which he can get on the PS if he clears waivers.

David Moore puts us at 9 so far.  
  1. CB Lamar Jackson
  2. WR Lawrence Cager
  3. DB Bennett Jackson (corresponding move to Shaq Lawson trade)
  4. S JT Hassell
  5. DL Aaron Adeoye
  6. OL Corey Levin
  7. DL Jeremiah Valoaga
  8. QB Josh Johnson
  9. OG David Moore
  10. OL Jimmy Murray
  11. DE Hamilcar Rashed

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  I think people need to remember that if a team claims a player off of waivers they need to place that player on the 53 man roster.  I doubt there is a team out there who thinks Morgan could be worth a roster spot right now.  

And if somebody does, I am not about to lose sleep over it.