Another newbie question: Why is it not: New Jersey Jets?

Hystorm

You are being thrown by the State line. They are and were the NYC Jets (and Giants). They were the NY Jets  when they played in Queens and they'd be the NY Jets if they moved to Westchester without anyone questioning it. They are NYC teams in the regional sense that they play in the NY metro area. They play where they play because of NYC.  Remove NYC and there would be no pro team in either the AFC or NFC in the Meadowlands. 

They were the Detroit Lions when they played 20 miles away in Pontiac.  The Los Angeles Rams and Chargers play in Inglewood, not Los Angeles. The San Francisco 49ers play in Santa Clara. The Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington. The Washington Football Team plays in Landover, MD. The Buffalo Bills play in Orchard Park.

This is not a big deal. I'm not sure why it is ever brought up. If it helps, think of NYC in the same sense as New England - it is a regional area, not subject to municipal boundaries.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

You are being thrown by the State line. They are and were the NYC Jets (and Giants). They were the NY Jets  when they played in Queens and they'd be the NY Jets if they moved to Westchester without anyone questioning it. They are NYC teams in the regional sense that they play in the NY metro area. They play where they play because of NYC.  Remove NYC and there would be no pro team in either the AFC or NFC in the Meadowlands. 

They were the Detroit Lions when they played 20 miles away in Pontiac.  The Los Angeles Rams and Chargers play in Inglewood, not Los Angeles. The San Francisco 49ers play in Santa Clara. The Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington. The Washington Football Team plays in Landover, MD. The Buffalo Bills play in Orchard Park.

This is not a big deal. I'm not sure why it is ever brought up. If it helps, think of NYC in the same sense as New England - it is a regional area, not subject to municipal boundaries.

This a reasoned and measured response. 

Black And White Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Vanity. The entire operation for the Jets, and I believe the Giants also, is located in NJ. Somehow if you put an NJ in front of the Jets or Giants name on TV they become an unwatchable joke or something.

al pacino film GIF

Up until 2008 the TC and offices were still in Hempstead, NY

2 hours ago, Hystorm said:

The team's headquarters are in New Jersey is it not?

Thanks in advance.

No one wants to be associated with New Jersey willingly. The only reason the Devils carry the name is because the original owner, Jim Devil, lost a bet to John Angel in 1905 so they've been known as the New Jersey Devils since. in 2015, Jim said he'd have changed the name to New York a hundred times over if it weren't for that bet. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

No one wants to associated with New Jersey willingly. The only reasons the Devils carry the name is because the original owner, Jim Devil, lost a bet to John Angel in 1905 so they've been known as the New Jersey Devils since. in 2015, Jim said he'd have changed the name to New York a hundred times over if it weren't for that bet. 

I always thought his second choice as the hockey team's name--The NJ Beelzebubs--was spot on.

• Haha 1

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

Holy ****. This is the PERFECT name for the WFT. Washington Beelzebubs. It works on so many levels. 

RLLOL!  Put a shot of Snyder holding a pitchfork (or if it could somehow be depicted, the souls of the fans) on a licensed t-shirt and they'll sell a million of 'em.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hystorm said:

The team's headquarters are in New Jersey is it not?

Thanks in advance.

This is a disgraceful post.

How dare you come into my house and insult my family.

If coach Salah was here now he would go all New Jersey gangsta on your ass and I would help him by offering to hold his jacket (except coach Salah is so tough he only wears a jacket when the polar bears start to shake so I wouldn't have to) 

Who do you support?

How long have you been a fan?

Please post proof otherwise you're just not worth my time ? ?  ?

Here's some pictures to make my post even longer (BTW, they're both future HOFers - you can 100% guarantee that)

Zach-Wilson-5.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w

bjhddhu5sufpmoj2wdkw

Here's a chart that proves Zach Wilson has larger hands than Tom Brady

Classic_Size_Chart_grande.jpg?v=15429150

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Why aren’t the patriots the Massachusetts  patriots? Why aren’t the panthers the south or North Carolina panthers? Why are the Washington Racist Names the Washington Racist names because DC isn’t even a state? So many questions.

Why aren't the Jacksonville Jaguars the London Jaguars?

Why aren't the Houston Texans the Houston Touchers? 

• Haha 1

because the fans would leave them.

when they first left NY they told there fans, no where not leaving NY, where just going right across the river. 

but wait, that isnt NY, thats NJ... Yeah but its so close and we are keeping the NY. dont leave us...

then NYC said to them. if you keep the NY we wont ask the NFL to put a team in the biggest market in the world. which will hurt your fan base. in fact it would probably destroy it. they would have to move.

4 hours ago, jmat321 said:

Named after the city of New York/NY metro area.  There are a lot of NFL teams that do not play in the city they are named after.  Skins play in Maryland, Bills play in Orchard Park, 49ers in Santa Clara, dolphins Miami Gardens, cowboys in Arlington,  there are several more.

This.  I'm not sure why it's so hard to understand that the NY is for the New York metropolitan area.

The Buffalo Bills play in Orchard Park.  About 15 miles away from Buffalo.

The Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington, Texas.  About 21 miles away from Dallas.

The Las Vegas Raiders play in Paradise, Nevada.  About 7 miles from Las Vegas.

The Los Angeles Chargers and Rams play in Inglewood.  About 12 miles away from LA.

The San Francisco 49ers play in Santa Clara.  46 miles away from San Francisco

The Washington Football Team plays in Landover, Maryland.  About 9 miles from DC.

Yet no one gives any of those teams grief for the cities they choose to identify with. 

East Rutherford is about 13 miles from NYC, by the way.  Closer than 3 of the above teams are from their respective associated cities.

6 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

MetLife is 8 miles away from NYC. The Bills are closer to Canada than NYC. As much as I want the Jets out of NJ and brought to Long Island or queens, I never understood the whole Jersey Jets thing. Like @jmat321 mentioned, it’s more common than you think. 

You do realize that Buffalo is a few hundred yards from Canada, right?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, doitny said:

then NYC said to them. if you keep the NY we wont ask the NFL to put a team in the biggest market in the world. which will hurt your fan base. in fact it would probably destroy it. they would have to move.

The NFL will never put a 3rd team in the NYC area.

You cant have 3 games on tv ever Sunday and not have one game overlap another.  Teams are protected against this.