Another newbie question: Why is it not: New Jersey Jets?

Hystorm

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

The NFL will never put a 3rd team in the NYC area.

You cant have 3 games on tv ever Sunday and not have one game overlap another.  Teams are protected against this.

against overlapping? it use to be like that but not anymore.

i count 8 games this season where we start the same time as the giants. 

i agree that they wont do a 3rd NY team but if the Jets and Giants officially called themselves NJ i can see them doing it.

the NHL has 3 NYC area teams. and im sure we cant get a stadium in the 5 boros so maybe long island if they want a little more distance.

14 hours ago, flgreen said:

Pretty sure Jets pulled out of NYC after the NYC corrupt politicians cheated them out of the WSS

A westside stadium would have been an abortion because there would have been no tailgating . More than half of season ticket holders tailgate before the game . I mean actual tailgating , not downing a 12 pack while roaming the parking lot .

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Buffalo Bills play in Orchard Park.  About 15 miles away from Buffalo.

The Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington, Texas.  About 21 miles away from Dallas.

The Las Vegas Raiders play in Paradise, Nevada.  About 7 miles from Las Vegas.

The Los Angeles Chargers and Rams play in Inglewood.  About 12 miles away from LA.

The San Francisco 49ers play in Santa Clara.  46 miles away from San Francisco

The Washington Football Team plays in Landover, Maryland.  About 9 miles from DC.

Yet no one gives any of those teams grief for the cities they choose to identify with. 

East Rutherford is about 13 miles from NYC, by the way.  Closer than 3 of the above teams are from their respective associated cities.

Yes they do.  

The Buffalo Bills play in Orchard Park.  About 15 miles away from Buffalo.
The Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington, Texas.  About 21 miles away from Dallas.
The Las Vegas Raiders play in Paradise, Nevada.  About 7 miles from Las Vegas.
The Los Angeles Chargers and Rams play in Inglewood.  About 12 miles away from LA.
The San Francisco 49ers play in Santa Clara.  46 miles away from San Francisco
The Washington Football Team plays in Landover, Maryland.  About 9 miles from DC.

Yet no one gives any of those teams grief for the cities they choose to identify with. 
East Rutherford is about 13 miles from NYC, by the way.  Closer than 3 of the above teams are from their respective associated cities.
There is a massive difference when the distance involves crossing a border ... when was the last time tijuana declared itself as from San Diego ?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, doitny said:

against overlapping? it use to be like that but not anymore.

i count 8 games this season where we start the same time as the giants. 

i agree that they wont do a 3rd NY team but if the Jets and Giants officially called themselves NJ i can see them doing it.

the NHL has 3 NYC area teams. and im sure we cant get a stadium in the 5 boros so maybe long island if they want a little more distance.

Yeah it still is.  Theyre not playing games next door to each other, no way the NFL does that.  

Its not the NFL or the NBA, the NFL is 8 or 9 home games and its about home attendance.

I think OP needs to read about the Polo grounds and Shea stadium. Things happened before you were born.
Yeah ... and the Baltimore Ravens secret wish the could be called the Cleveland Ravens... pffffft. And the Los Angeles Rams are dying inside that they are not still called the St Louis Rams ... and when they were the St Louis Rams ... they could sleep over not being called the Los Angeles Rams.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I was just in Charlotte over the weekend and checked out the Panthers stadium.  As much as I prefer the Jets being in New Jersey to some of the other suggestions (especially Queens, or sh*thole Long Island), I am very jealous of all cities who can have a football or baseball stadium neatly and seamlessly dropped into their downtown ("uptown" in Charlotte) and all that comes with that.  Mostly I'm just jealous that the exterior of their stadium is beautiful and fits in with everything, whereas MetLife is the biggest abomination in the country.

5 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

I was just in Charlotte over the weekend and checked out the Panthers stadium.  As much as I prefer the Jets being in New Jersey to some of the other suggestions (especially Queens, or sh*thole Long Island), I am very jealous of all cities who can have a football or baseball stadium neatly and seamlessly dropped into their downtown ("uptown" in Charlotte) and all that comes with that.  Mostly I'm just jealous that the exterior of their stadium is beautiful and fits in with everything, whereas MetLife is the biggest abomination in the country.

I just drive by the Panthers Stadium in Uptown Charlotte last week, and while I only saw one side of it, it looked severely lacking in the number of parking spaces available. Again, I just saw one side which exposed about half of the stadium facilities from my site line.i

15 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I just drive by the Panthers Stadium in Uptown Charlotte last week, and while I only saw one side of it, it looked severely lacking in the number of parking spaces available. Again, I just saw one side which exposed about half of the stadium facilities from my site line.i

Yeah it does.  It seems to me like people park elsewhere - there's definitely not a tailgating type scene.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Only a few stadiums are in downtowns. Obviously putting a massive structure and finding 80k Parking spots is not usually realistic.

Only true downtown stadiums besides Charlotte I can think of is Nashville for the Titans.

I guess Cleveland and Indy are close to their downtowns but not true downtown 

13 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Only a few stadiums are in downtowns. Obviously putting a massive structure and finding 80k Parking spots is not usually realistic.

Only true downtown stadiums besides Charlotte I can think of is Nashville for the Titans.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's particularly viable.  But it's cool.  Again, biggest gripe for me is that MetLife looks like total sh*t.

22 hours ago, jmat321 said:

Named after the city of New York/NY metro area.  There are a lot of NFL teams that do not play in the city they are named after.  Skins play in Maryland, Bills play in Orchard Park, 49ers in Santa Clara, dolphins Miami Gardens, cowboys in Arlington,  there are several more.

yet none of those teams play outside the respective states in which those cities are situated.  If the Dallas Cowboys played in New Mexico or Louisiana, that would be a more apt comparison.

19 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Why aren’t the patriots the Massachusetts  patriots? Why aren’t the panthers the south or North Carolina panthers? Why are the Washington Racists named the Washington Racists because  DC isn’t even a state? So many questions.

1. New England is a region in the Northeast that includes Massachusetts.

2. Carolina Panthers represent both states (see: above)

3. D.C. does not have the space nor the infrastructure to support building a stadium in D.C. so they play just outside, but keep the "washington" part because D.C. has higher population density than Maryland.

4. New Jersey has the highest population density of all states, has a huge area (meadowlands) to support a stadium with parking for tailgates, has the highway infrastructure to support 80K fans coming and going from throughout the state as well as NYC which and is located less than a half hour from many parts of NY, has ample public transportation, bridges and tunnels and ferries for the NY fans and is able support practice facilities for both the Jets and Giants simultaneously while also having affordable suburban housing for players and staff.

The only reason they are the New York Jets (Giants) is marketing.  And it works.  Being associated with NYC is a big sales booster.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

yet none of those teams play outside the respective states in which those cities are situated.  If the Dallas Cowboys played in New Mexico or Louisiana, that would be a more apt comparison.

New Mexico and Louisiana are not in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.  Arlington is.  Same for North Jersey.  It is in the NYC Metro area.  If the Jets/Giants played in Westchester, Long Island, Brooklyn/Queens or Fairfield County, they should still be called "New York".

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Centurylink in Seattle is pretty much in the downtown.  SODO is just a 15 minute walk from Pike’s Place and all that.  Soldier Field is in the Chicago Loop, the Ravens stadium is downtown next to Camden Yards and Inner Harbor

But yeah most cities don’t have the football stadium in the downtown it’s usually in some remote suburb in what used to be a cornfield or a slum

1 hour ago, sirlancemehlot said:

The Toronto Blue Jays just played back to back regular seasons in another country

8 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

A westside stadium would have been an abortion because there would have been no tailgating . More than half of season ticket holders tailgate before the game . I mean actual tailgating , not downing a 12 pack while roaming the parking lot .

I’m fascinated to think what would have happened had the West Side Stadium actually got built. To have a gigantic venue like that right off the west side hwy in Manhattan 

1 hour ago, Albaniajet said:

Centurylink in Seattle is pretty much in the downtown.  SODO is just a 15 minute walk from Pike’s Place and all that.  Soldier Field is in the Chicago Loop, the Ravens stadium is downtown next to Camden Yards and Inner Harbor

But yeah most cities don’t have the football stadium in the downtown it’s usually in some remote suburb in what used to be a cornfield or a slum

You are correct about Baltimore….Chicago I guess I know what your saying 

6 hours ago, jmat321 said:

New Mexico and Louisiana are not in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.  Arlington is.  Same for North Jersey.  It is in the NYC Metro area.  If the Jets/Giants played in Westchester, Long Island, Brooklyn/Queens or Fairfield County, they should still be called "New York".

All the places you mentioned are in Bew York. The Meadowlands is in NJ.

On 8/30/2021 at 5:38 PM, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

This is a disgraceful post.

How dare you come into my house and insult my family.

If coach Salah was here now he would go all New Jersey gangsta on your ass and I would help him by offering to hold his jacket (except coach Salah is so tough he only wears a jacket when the polar bears start to shake so I wouldn't have to) 

Who do you support?

How long have you been a fan?

Please post proof otherwise you're just not worth my time ? ?  ?

Here's some pictures to make my post even longer (BTW, they're both future HOFers - you can 100% guarantee that)

Zach-Wilson-5.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w

bjhddhu5sufpmoj2wdkw

Here's a chart that proves Zach Wilson has larger hands than Tom Brady

Classic_Size_Chart_grande.jpg?v=15429150

Halfway through I got this. Damn, haha 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

1. New England is a region in the Northeast that includes Massachusetts.

2. Carolina Panthers represent both states (see: above)

3. D.C. does not have the space nor the infrastructure to support building a stadium in D.C. so they play just outside, but keep the "washington" part because D.C. has higher population density than Maryland.

4. New Jersey has the highest population density of all states, has a huge area (meadowlands) to support a stadium with parking for tailgates, has the highway infrastructure to support 80K fans coming and going from throughout the state as well as NYC which and is located less than a half hour from many parts of NY, has ample public transportation, bridges and tunnels and ferries for the NY fans and is able support practice facilities for both the Jets and Giants simultaneously while also having affordable suburban housing for players and staff.

The only reason they are the New York Jets (Giants) is marketing.  And it works.  Being associated with NYC is a big sales booster.

There are some exceptions like you mentioned,  but most sports teams represent a city and it's metropolitan area.  New York in the name refers to NYC not the state, and is representative of the city and suburbs that surround it.  Just as South Jersey is part of the Philly metro area and supports the Eagles and other Philly teams, Northern NJ supports NYC based sports teams.  The meadowlands is about 8 miles from mid town Manhattan so it seems logical to call them them the NY Jets, rather than the East Rutherford Jets, or the NJ Jets for that matter because half the state identifies with the Philly area instead of NYC.