OT: Wish me luck with knee replacement.

greengeek

30 minutes ago, greengeek said:

Hi JN--  I'm having my arthritic right knee replaced tomorrow (bone on bone and bow-legged).  So for me, 60 years is officially old.  -- GG

Good luck GG!  Quitting sugar worked wonders for my arthritis.  I am sure you will be as good as new.

And anytime you want to do a knee for brain trade, just DM me.

• Upvote 1

I wish you all the best!!  You don't need luck, because they do thousands of these surgeries.  

The real job for you will be the recovery.  I'm told it is not the same as hip surgery, since the hip is easier for the recovery.

Work hard, movement is the key, and the result you will be very happy with, according to friends who have had it done.

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and well wishes.  I have a few friends who have gone through it with excellent results.  I selected my surgeon with their advice.  Thanks also for the consistent theme of recommendations regarding rehab.  I'll take your advice!  -- GG

• Upvote 1

Geek:

I haven't met a single person who's had replacement knee surgery who wasn't satisfied with the results. Almost all of them also said they wish they had done it sooner - including an old college buddy (aged 60 at surgery) and my 80 year old brother who had their hips replaced recently.

I'm holding out for the 2 for 1 brain and penile implant procedure to be perfected ... Right now there's also a shortage of suitable donors, from what I hear.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, greengeek said:

Hi JN--  I'm having my arthritic right knee replaced tomorrow (bone on bone and bow-legged).  So for me, 60 years is officially old.  -- GG

Speedy recovery buddy.  I hope they implant some of those bionic tendons I've been reading about in comic books in the 70's.  😄

3 hours ago, greengeek said:

Good luck sir.. I work with a guy that had both his done in the last 3 years and he said it was the best thing he did. He was very nervous before the 1st one. After that procedure he scheduled the 2nd as quickly as his doctor allowed. 

hope you have a similar experience 

Best of luck with surgery.  I did both knees last year, at 60 as well.  It was nothing short of life changing for me.  Make sure you follow your surgeon's directions for recovery to a tee.  Keep lots of ice around, consider investing in an ice/compression machine.  Breg is the one I had.  Also do all the PT you possibly can.  Flexibility and strengthening are key.  PM me if you want anymore info.  I'd be glad to share.  

• Upvote 1

I have Osteoarthritis and am 66. I tore the cartilage and meniscus in each knee at different times requiring surgery. I was also bone on bone and slightly bow legged. I had the left knee replaced last June and then the right knee last October.
The pain is not unbearable, but expect to be very really sore for the first 48 hours . I had outpatient surgery and went home. Ask your doctor if you can double the pain meds for 2-3 days, if needed. Sleeping will be tough for a month. A visiting therapist should come to your home every other day for the first 2-3 weeks. Do the exercises.
Then you will go to rehab . I had 30 sessions and went 3 times a week. And did the recommended exercise routine at home in between therapy days. Buy the $35 ice pack that the therapist recommends and ice your knee down 3 times a day or as needed.
The pain and stiffness does slowly subside. I was going to “John Wayne” it and do both knees at the same time and I’m glad that my doctor talked me out of doing.
All in all I’m glad that I had it done and feel much better.
Hope that your surgery and recovery go well.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

One more very important thing to recommend. The pain meds will constipate you. Take stool softeners three times a day. Or you will get very uncomfortable around day 5.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, greengeek said:

My wife had it done 3 years ago, almost your age.  Best decision she ever made. Recovery is painful and the PT is rough, but it all comes together and it literally changes your life.

4 minutes ago, ManCave Analyst said:

One more very important thing to recommend. The pain meds will constipate you. Take stool softeners three times a day. Or you will get very uncomfortable around day 5.

No one more qualified to discuss Male Anal Analytics than the Man Cave Analyst!
😁

4 hours ago, greengeek said:

Damn, l didn’t even realize you were on the roster. Get well soon brother! 

5 hours ago, greengeek said:

Hey a new shiny knee joint! Kudos and hope all goes well.

Wish I could get one meeself....

• Like 1