Cam Newton released

Rhg1084

imo as far as the jets are concerned this can be good.  the biggest thing newton did was run well.  the jets always seem to have issues with running qb's.  but jones may be like brady and with good protection and a scheme that gets the ball out quickly he could be trouble.  the patsies need another edelman and/or good te to make trouble.

Even if Belidick wanted to start Jones, why just dump Cam for no compensation?   He's on the last year of his contract.  Just name Jones the starter and keep Cam on the bench in case the kid doesn't work out or gets hurt.    This one is a complete head scratcher for me.  Just beyond friggin' dumb.

9 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Even if Belidick wanted to start Jones, why just dump Cam for no compensation?   He's on the last year of his contract.  Just name Jones the starter and keep Cam on the bench in case the kid doesn't work out or gets hurt.    This one is a complete head scratcher for me.  Just beyond friggin' dumb.

Guaranteed salary for one. He completely sucks for another. Avoids any QB controversy is a third. If the Jets release Morgan dont be shocked to see him picked up by NE

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, docdhc said:

He lucked into Brady and has drafted a lot of QB busts trying to find his replacement. I’m hoping Mac Jones goes the way of Ryan Mallett

Yep.  The 2nd best QB Belichick has ever drafted/acquired is Jimmy Garoppolo.  People need to ponder that carefully for a moment before assuming every QB Belichick covets is going to be awesome.  The dude sucks at drafting.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, johnnysd said:

Guaranteed salary for one. He completely sucks for another. Avoids any QB controversy is a third. If the Jets release Morgan dont be shocked to see him picked up by NE

I still can't believe some team would not have offered something for Cam.  And compared to our two backups (who really can't be evaluated as they've never thrown a ball in an NFL game), Cam is Johnny U.

3 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

You think it's OK to go into a season where we won't be competing  for anything substantial with an unproven backup QB?

It is because we won't be competitive that it makes sense to roll with White/Morgan.

If we were a contender, THAT would be the time to ensure the QB2 job is filled by someone capable of winning a few games if Wilson goes down.

• Upvote 3

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/08/patriots-release-qb-cam-newton-3-logical-landing-spots-for-ex-nfl-mvp-why-jets-should-top-list.html

Patriots release QB Cam Newton: 3 logical landing spots for ex-NFL MVP | Why Jets should top list

Jets

Newton is probably just a top-tier backup at this point in his career. However, his dual-threat ability could be valuable to a team that has a starter with a similar skill set. Second overall pick Zach Wilson doesn’t have an experienced backup behind him, and Newton could come in and immediately upgrade the room from experience and talent standpoints. Like Newton, Wilson is a phenomenal scrambler, so if the worst-case scenario occurred, the veteran QB could pop into the lineup without much adjustment to the play-calling.

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Cam knew the kid was starting over him. Might wanted to see if he could get released to catch on someplace else as a starter? 

He refused the vaccine and then knowingly violated the team’s safety protocols

hes always been a prima donna, just in Carolina he was a talented prima donna

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Totally get it.  They guy was a piece of sh*t and plenty of people knew it.  Just saying that they got 3 solid years out of him.  For a 4th round pick, that isn't the worst pick in the world.  Even as far as pieces of sh*t go, probably a better pick than Rae Carruth.

Hahahaha.  He was a good football player.  

I don't think anyone is sad they passed on him.    

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

He refused the vaccine and then knowingly violated the team’s safety protocols

hes always been a prima donna, just in Carolina he was a talented prima donna

We don't know that NE didn't put out feelers without a positive response.

If he won't get vaccinated and won't follow safety protocols then why would any team want to bear the risk that he can't play and infects others on the team for the #30 QB last year? 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

We don't know that NE didn't put out feelers without a positive response.

If he won't get vaccinated and won't follow safety protocols then why would any team want to bear the risk that he can't play and infects others on the team for the #30 QB last year? 

Ofcourse.  Belichick has been trying to get rid of Cam for over a week but probably couldn’t get more than a conditional late rd pick

Newton sucks and is a headcase.  The guy cost himself between $6-14 million 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I agree with this one thing I will say about Cam Newton.  His beef about not getting roughing calls was 100% correct.

Just because you are a running QB does not mean the other team can hammer you late while in the pocket.  For a few years it was ridiculous looking at plays not called on him and then seeing calls for roughing on brady if a breeze hit him.

I agree ? on this. Cam was getting absolutely slaughtered. However in defense of the refs it's hard to look at a guy running down the field the same way as a guy who sits in the pocket. It's a fine line and we are only human, our unconscious bias can come to the forefront. Josh Allen gets treated the same as Cam. Mobile QBs to a degree bring it on themselves. Still when in the pocket and getting absolutely trainwrecked and not getting calls was BS(although I think roughing should only be for late hits and not hard hits that's not the rules)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I think both are going to kill it. Jones has the edge playing in an offense that has been established over 20 + years.

True, though that offense didn't help Cam Newton, Jarrett Stidham, Brian Hoyer, Jacoby Brissett, Ryan Mallett, Kevin O'Connell, Kliff Kingsbury, Rohan Davey or Michael Bishop very much. 

Jimmy G and Matt Cassel were the only QB's not named Brady to perform decently in that system.  

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

One is celebrating a National Championship.  

The other is posing 

Cam Newton is an NFL MVP who went to a Super Bowl.  That's a bit more meaningful than winning one of the zillion national titles Alabama has won.  Especially when the QB isn't really close to the most important reason Bama wins any of their titles.

Oh, and Cam also won 2 national championships.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Cam Newton is an NFL MVP who went to a Super Bowl.  That's a bit more meaningful than winning one of the zillion national titles Alabama has won.  Especially when the QB isn't really close to the most important reason Bama wins any of their titles.

I was looking at two pictures, in one we see Jones is celebrating a NC while  Cam is just posing.  

I think I summed it up.  lol

58 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah like 10 years ago when he was an athletic freak

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ancient history. Newton is shot, and never was a really great passer to begin with and that season was a pretty big outlier