now that morgan was cut

kmnj

can joe d fan boys finally admit it was a terrible pick  or do we "have to wait 3-4 years before we can evaluate the draft" 

the morgan pick was just like the hackenberg pick but a bit later-anybody that watched football knew  he  was never going play for the team

i would much rather have G Davis in the 4th round who by the way greatly outproduced Mims

I will give Joe D the benefit of the doubt and hope he learned from his rookie mistakes

• Upvote 7
  • Thumb Down 4
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Hey, Morgan throws a mean Hail Mary. But, realistically he is perfect fodder for continued development on the practice squad since it is unlikely any other team would pick him up. TBH, I didn't really see a big difference between him and White and if they do make White the backup QB, who says Morgan cannot be the backup QB in the future as he continues on the teams practice squad. And, if that is the case so you spent a 4th round pick for it. But, yes you are correct, it would have served us much better using that pick on the BA Guard, OLB, CB, etc. positions we are thin at now with not only depth issues, but even starter issues where that 4th rounder could have served in one of those capacities. JD seemed to spread it around in all areas in that draft picking one player at each position of need, when he should have focused on loading up in a few weak areas at G, CB, WR, etc. last year. He did though between FA/Draft address many areas and still have us in position with 10 draft picks next year 7 in the 1st 4 rounds and top 3 cap space to fix our remaining likely bad holes again at CB, G, OLB, etc. We also need to see how this year plays out as you discover other weaknesses at positions as far as starters/depth and sometimes the areas we think are major issues some players may develop quickly like at CB and be less of a weakness than expected.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I posted this in a different thread but felt it applied here as well. 

The  momentum of negativity towards Morgan is confusing to me. He was a mid round prospect before his draft year. He was taken in the 4th round, not the 1st. From many different sources,  if the Jets did not take him there , the Patriots were ready to take him with the next pick. Covid happens, he has a shell of a training camp, no preseason (which equates into no live game snaps), Gase of all people is his coach, and still there are only a few that will give him the benefit of the doubt to keep him around or simply believe he is not a total bust. Has he lit up pre season in year TWO? , No , but he’s been decent to good and the hail mary pass at the very least showed the strength of his arm with accuracy.  I find it questionable at least that he was cut. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

the thing people may be forgetting about morgan is that he was taken when there was still some faith that darnold was going to be the guy so morgan was projected as a back up.  not necessarily a bad pick.  sure you can say it was wasted but at this point no more wasted than clark given his injuries.  plus the development of many players was stunted last season.  not saying this makes morgan more than he is but all players need the reps.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Who is that you want again?

What does it matter who I want?  That's not my job.   Pay me the boatload of money JD gets to be GM and I can guarantee you that I would not have left this year's team with two "projects" who had never thrown a ball in the regular season.  It was his job to identify and sign a competent backup.  Why didn't he pull off a trade for any of the backups who were available until the last few weeks?

He had a world of time since Darnold was traded.  But look where we are: An unproven rookie starter with now the remaining "project".   Like him or not, at least for a while we had McCown as Darnold's backup.  He had some skills and could actually win us a game.  Now, unless JD pulls a rabbit out of a hat, good luck.

• WTF? 1

There is no questioning that this pick was bad in retrospect. Was it a good pick at the time? Not really. With a team with so many needs, buying a lottery ticket with a semi-premium pick was a questionable decision. James Morgan was a project QB from the beginning. Lottery tickets are for teams who can afford to bomb on a pick. 

Grade in 2020 - D+

Grade in 2021 - F

Edit - Final grade - F

If he goes on the practice squad and develops into a long term back up, the best you could grade would be a C-. 

I played mental gymnastics for too long with this pick. I tried my damndest to justify the selection, but as of today, it was an awful pick. 

Edited by TheNuuFaaolaExperience
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He took a shot on a developmental guy at a low cost pick, and it didn't work out.  

4th rounders are a dime a dozen and most amount to little.  It was a risk worth taking.  

Please link where you said that at the time when the pick was being made, then you can have the +1 Internet Point you seem desperate to collect here.

Wasn't a mistake.  It was a calculated risk that didn't pan out.  

Be assured, most of JN was demanding Gandy-Golden at that approx. pick, and he's been a total bust.  So there is no certainty that JD would have taken Davis or some other "know-with-hindsight" guy.  He very likely could have picked Golden, and we'd be talking about how he is a bad pick instead of how Morgan was a bad pick.

Fourth round picks are not low cost. It's not the end of the world if a 4th rounder busts, but you can find some quality starters and depth in the 4th. This team cannot afford to bomb on 4th round draft picks. 

It's almost like some of you think other teams have a 100% success rate in the draft. I get the frustration of rooting for the Jets and the bad GM-ing we've all experienced over the last 10 plus years, but not every pick pans out. And news flash- JD is not Mac. So while it's tempting to vent at JD for not hitting on every pick all the time, you've got to give him and his draft picks more than a season before you grade everything out.

As for Morgan, I'm disappointed. The hope was he'd develop into a quality back up QB and spot starter, and he couldn't beat out Mike White in camp. Can the Jets still stash him on the PS and is there a chance he pans out? Absolutely. But to those who have been bashing the pick since the 2020 draft, you don't get a cookie because you've been endlessly whining about a 4th round pick for 16 months.

• Upvote 2

I think 2021 is going to be a way stronger draft than 2020 ends up being for us. That being said, the pick didn't work out, but it's not a bad strategy. A backup QB that hits in a big way is a valuable asset to have. 

I think you can definitely argue he should be double dipping more in areas of depth in the draft (WR last year, OL this year), but when you have needs everywhere, you just need foundational pieces.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

can joe d fan boys finally admit it was a terrible pick  or do we "have to wait 3-4 years before we can evaluate the draft" 

the morgan pick was just like the hackenberg pick but a bit later-anybody that watched football knew  he  was never going play for the team

i would much rather have G Davis in the 4th round who by the way greatly outproduced Mims

I will give Joe D the benefit of the doubt and hope he learned from his rookie mistakes

Yes - it was a bad pick. Let’s burn Douglas at the stake. Happy now?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

Please stop! Name a GM that hasn't had a questionable pick.  For the most part he seems to be a capable drafter.  Move on already, this is becoming boring.

The people that say 'move on already' the day after a cut are 100% guaranteed to have been utter fan boys of the players.

As for capable drafter, that remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

Dude, get over it.  It was a miss, but that happens with fourth round picks.  And Hackenberg was a second round pick so it was not "just like" that pick.  The success rate on fourth rounders is far lower.

Should we put Joe in the stockade, or would some lesser form of punishment be acceptable to you?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

... TBH, I didn't really see a big difference between him and White ...

I did. Morgan is still raw, but he has a stronger arm than both White and Zach. I would like to see Morgan come back to the practice squad. Give him another year on the PS and see if he can be a capable backup.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

With this fan base..rule of thumb

With Mac or idzik picks get a one year look

With JD it’s “a 3-4 year evaluation, can’t you all just chill out” 

I would of happily eaten crow on this but I said it was a mistake on draft night. And well. It was  

Congratulations.  You must be very proud.

• Upvote 2

Not even close to Hackenberg.  First of all, Hack was a second rd. pick not a 4th rd. pick, second Macc realistically believed we didn't need to draft a QB when we could've had Mahomes or Watson which was the absolute worst part of the Hack pick.  I mean imagine not taking Zach Wilson this year because we drafted Morgan.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

So if he doesnt bat 1.000 he is a terrible GM?  It was a roll of the dice on a fourth rd pick that he got by trading back.  Hind site is 20/20 and the fact that the  regime changed and he never got an off season program last year didnt help a small school guy that needed coaching up. 

BTW Mike White, our back up was a mid round pick by Dallas who cut eventually him.  Now he is our back up so maybe Douglas accomplished what he wanted to do with someone elses cast off, making Morgan expendable.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Fourth round picks are not low cost. It's not the end of the world if a 4th rounder busts, but you can find some quality starters and depth in the 4th. This team cannot afford to bomb on 4th round draft picks. 

No one hits on all their 4th round picks.

Every team, including winners, can and do miss on a 4th.

The Jets will neither win nor lose this year because JD drafted Morgan in the 4th a few years back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

The same guy who picked gabe davis traded away Wyatt Teller for a 5th round pick and now Teller is all pro offensive lineman. 

Every GM makes mistakes. A lot of mistakes. It's about how they handle those mistakes and how much flexibility they give themselves to deal with those mistakes that makes a GM "Good".

• Upvote 1