now that morgan was cut

kmnj

5 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

With this fan base..rule of thumb

With Mac or idzik picks get a one year look

With JD it’s “a 3-4 year evaluation, can’t you all just chill out” 

I would of happily eaten crow on this but I said it was a mistake on draft night. And well. It was  

If you predicted that every pick drafted in the fourth rd or later wouldnt make it, you be right more than youd be wrong.  If you do that for QBs that percentage will be over 80 percent.   So stand up and give yourself a pat on the back!!

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So you don't know. 

But you're demanding White be cut and this mystery person be signed anyway.

/shrug, ok.

"Demanding"?   Yeah, odd that people would share an opinion, informed or otherwise, on this message board.   It's what we do.  

Difficult as it may be to accept, you--or anyone else--don't get to set the parameters (outside of site-prohibited content) for expressing such views.  There is no prerequisite for giving the name of an alternative QB when you want the current guy gone.  Again, I am not the GM of this team, who bears the responsibility to answer your question.

As I've said a bunch of times, I was hoping JD would have worked a deal for Minshew.  That ship has sailed, so I guess we go full speed ahead with White or some miracle on the cut list/waiver wire.   Yay.

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

"Demanding"?   Yeah, odd that people would share an opinion, informed or otherwise, on this message board.   It's what we do.  

Difficult as it may be to accept, you--or anyone else--don't get to set the parameters (outside of site-prohibited content) for expressing such views.  There is no prerequisite for giving the name of an alternative QB when you want the current guy gone.  Again, I am not the GM of this team, who bears the responsibility to answer your question.

As I've said a bunch of times, I was hoping JD would have worked a deal for Minshew.  That ship has sailed, so I guess we go full speed ahead with White or some miracle on the cut list/waiver wire.   Yay.

JD (and Saleh) was never going after a Minshew type (who would have required a trade of draft capital to acquire), so it seems there wasn't much he could do to make you happy on this point. 

We'll just have to hope the #2 overall pick is actually a good QB I guess, and that he stays healthy.  If he doesn't, the Stash' and his his career 7-13 record as a start wasn't exactly going to save our season anyhow, so I admit, I don't get the concern, especially this year, a year all about Wilson and Wilson alone at QB. 

I guess we'll have to hope White can manage a similar ~33% win rate if he is forced to play, but honestly, the point of the season is lost if we end up at that point regardless.  I'm hoping backup QB is the least relevant guy on this team this year.

• Upvote 1

In addition to costing draft capital, Minshew seems very Fitzpatrick-y.  He seems like he would be the type that might have a portion of the team thinking he was the better QB and it could cause problems in the locker room.  Especially if the kid struggles early.  I am generally not against making my guy take the team by the reins and be "the Guy" but this front office elected to trade Darnold and IIRC, one of the reasons was to prevent a QB controversy if Wilson started off slowly.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No one hits on all their 4th round picks.

Every team, including winners, can and do miss on a 4th.

The Jets will neither win nor lose this year because JD drafted Morgan in the 4th a few years back.

Never claimed that anyone hits on all of their 4th round picks. 

We are not winners, so we can't afford to miss on 4ths. 

Agreed. The Jets will not win because of drafting James Morgan. Disagree that we will not lose because of not drafting a contributing player. 

one other point about the 2020 draft is that douglas was being heralded for picking mims.  how's that working out?  there is probably some reason why mims isn't doing so well right now beyond the food poisoning but it's hard to say.  it could be because the other guys around him have improved.  last season he only had to be better than perriman.  so look at that whole draft and see if picking morgan was actually so bad.  in hindsight it was but at the time maybe not.

30 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I would of happily eaten crow on this but I said it was a mistake on draft night. And well. It was  

This is NOT at ALL true. There were many Macc supporters, myself included, who said that we need 3-4 years to evaluate his drafts. We ended up being dead wrong, but many of us, not all of us, gave Macc the benefit of the doubt. I recall the fan base being almost unanimously opposed to Idzik's drafts. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

How do those drafts look after all these years? 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

one other point about the 2020 draft is that douglas was being heralded for picking mims.  how's that working out?  there is probably some reason why mims isn't doing so well right now beyond the food poisoning but it's hard to say.  it could be because the other guys around him have improved.  last season he only had to be better than perriman.  so look at that whole draft and see if picking morgan was actually so bad.  in hindsight it was but at the time maybe not.

We'll let you know when Mims plays more than eight NFL regular season games. Mims has been a disappointment, but he has demonstrated that he has NFL talent. He very well may be another bust, but it's silly to make a determination about Mims this early. Food poisoning is a fluke and is not an indictment on his ability to stay on the field. He is certainly trending down, but it's WAY too early to make determinations about guys like Mims and A. Davis. 

What's even worse is that the pick used for Morgan was acquired through a trade back with New England.

Recall, we traded a 3rd round pick to NE (#101) in exchange for #125 (Morgan) and #129.

New England used #101 to select TE Dalton Keene from Virginia Tech.

Think about that...had JD not royally screwed this up, we could have had Dalton Keene........

Dalton! 

*******!

Keene!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

can joe d fan boys finally admit it was a terrible pick  or do we "have to wait 3-4 years before we can evaluate the draft" 

the morgan pick was just like the hackenberg pick but a bit later-anybody that watched football knew  he  was never going play for the team

i would much rather have G Davis in the 4th round who by the way greatly outproduced Mims

I will give Joe D the benefit of the doubt and hope he learned from his rookie mistakes

I am willing to state the obvious even as a big joe d fan:

His first draft was AWFUL. 

mac-level awful…..

That said, this last draft seems very good and looking forward to the future 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

What's even worse is that the pick used for Morgan was acquired through a trade back with New England.

Recall, we traded a 3rd round pick to NE (#101) in exchange for #125 (Morgan) and #129.

New England used #101 to select TE Dalton Keene from Virginia Tech.

Think about that...had JD not royally screwed this up, we could have had Dalton Keene........

Dalton! 

*******!

Keene!

Or he could have drafted  James Morgan. 

Oh wait, he already did. He could have also drafted Tyler Bdiacz, who would have been a smarter pick based on our needs.

I defended the Morgan pick, and I am a Joe Douglas guy. He is allowed to sh*t the bed once in a while, but he did sh*t the bed. Not the kind that you could pick up with a doggy bag. His pile is watery and full of corn. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

We'll let you know when Mims plays more than eight NFL regular season games. Mims has been a disappointment, but he has demonstrated that he has NFL talent. He very well may be another bust, but it's silly to make a determination about Mims this early. Food poisoning is a fluke and is not an indictment on his ability to stay on the field. He is certainly trending down, but it's WAY too early to make determinations about guys like Mims and A. Davis. 

i'm not dissing mims only that players that look good when drafted may tail off.  the mims pick was highly touted when made.  if you just look at him this season , he looks quite different.  i think mims is a good receiver and it would be great if he contributes bigly.  but i also think morgan was a good pick in the context of when he was picked.

3 hours ago, mrcoops said:

He saw a QB he liked, in the 4th round, and he took a shot. No shame in that.

Jets have had no certainty at QB in a long time, so you keep picking them until you find one.

Morgan hasn't worked out yet, but still might if he comes back on the PS.

And hopefully, this year, we have finally found one. Early signs are good.

You'll always have more strike-outs than home runs in the draft, especially on day 3.

Plenty of shame in it! It goes along with all his lousy 3rd & fourth rd

choices. I'm not a fan of combing picks to move up (AVT) but with

fat baldie's batting average in  the high mid round area I'd

give it a try. There will plenty pf players from rounds 2,3 and

4 who will become contributors. I hated the idea of taking

a developmental guy during the pandemic. With 

his lead feet and inaccurate arm could play star in the movie Hackencrapper returns

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

The same guy who picked gabe davis traded away Wyatt Teller for a 5th round pick and now Teller is all pro offensive lineman. 

You can afford to make that mistake when 7/8 draft picks from that draft class are still currently on a NFL roster 4 years later, while also getting a Franchise QB and Pro Bowl linebacker in that same draft. Teller also returned a pick and wasn't given up for nothing like Morgan.

I wonder why you guys took Morgan in a stacked WR draft class, while also having the worst WR group in the league.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kmnj said:

can joe d fan boys finally admit it was a terrible pick  or do we "have to wait 3-4 years before we can evaluate the draft" 

the morgan pick was just like the hackenberg pick but a bit later-anybody that watched football knew  he  was never going play for the team

i would much rather have G Davis in the 4th round who by the way greatly outproduced Mims

I will give Joe D the benefit of the doubt and hope he learned from his rookie mistakes

Who gives a fuack? It was an understandable pick. It did not work out. More than 50% of 4th rounders don't. Just move on

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

What does it matter who I want?  That's not my job.   Pay me the boatload of money JD gets to be GM and I can guarantee you that I would not have left this year's team with two "projects" who had never thrown a ball in the regular season.  It was his job to identify and sign a competent backup.  Why didn't he pull off a trade for any of the backups who were available until the last few weeks?

He had a world of time since Darnold was traded.  But look where we are: An unproven rookie starter with now the remaining "project".   Like him or not, at least for a while we had McCown as Darnold's backup.  He had some skills and could actually win us a game.  Now, unless JD pulls a rabbit out of a hat, good luck.

This is a BS red herring argument.  Who is Mac Jones back up?  (hint - nobody). Lawrence's?  (CJ Beathard) All McCown did was cost us draft capital by putting up meaningless wins in 2017 on a tanking team.  If a team is a contender, it needs a quality back up QB. The Jets are not contenders.  Wilson and White need every practice snap.  And don't hand me this "mentor" crap.  The QBs have coaches for that.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

Not even close to Hackenberg.  First of all, Hack was a second rd. pick not a 4th rd. pick, second Macc realistically believed we didn't need to draft a QB when we could've had Mahomes or Watson which was the absolute worst part of the Hack pick.  I mean imagine not taking Zach Wilson this year because we drafted Morgan.

There will never be another Hackenturd

7 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

My recollection is that a majority of people on this board were dubious about the pick and wanted a WR in a deep WR class. 

9 hours ago, kmnj said:

What's the hit rate on 4th rounders? 

I've watched enough of these 'behind the scenes' draft videos that every team releases now to know that draft picks are a collective choice between the GM, Head Coach, Owner, and Staff.  

GM's are picking for their coaches.   

It's no surprise that his 2020 and 2021 draft choices are night and day.  He's picking the players his coach wants.  

• Upvote 1