Urban Myers remarks on Jaguars cuts

Copernicus

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

Interesting, I kind of see it the other way.  Seems to me that the national media are jumping down Urban's throat for every little thing he does and I get it, he's a totally unlikable dickwad but in this particular situation...he's just telling the truth.  Damned if you do, damned if you dont but a coach is lying if they say the vax didnt take into account in their decision making.

The media sucks. Florio sucks the most.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I was of the impression that teams could cut/retain players for any reason they wanted as long as they were at least nominally relevant to the team's benefit.  If a team cuts a player for off-the-field conduct, that's fine.  A player's refusal to vaccinate has very real implications to the W/L record, particularly given the introduction of forfeits this season.  The idea that players get to make choices that affect their team and then expect to be protected from being cut because of those choices feels a little off to me.  But perhaps I'm just a dinosaur.

Especially a QB...

It's was 100% a factor into the decision.  The Patriots are not a better team without Cam.  Back ups are important, BB should know better then anyone. 

BB is liar, shocking, I know.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Those are the types of comments that open up doors to lawsuits. 

For what?  NFL teams can cut players for any reason they choose.

The Coach could think the guy is a dick, and cut him for that alone, and there is nothing whatsoever the Players Union (or a Court) is going to do about it.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

31 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

No one remembers this once the games start 

True, my point is that the Jets were considered the laughingstock and Jacksonville the “stable organization” for Lawrence to be chosen by. I find it ironic that they are having such a disastrous off-season and we appear to be the stable ones (knock on wood/no jinx) 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Interesting, I kind of see it the other way.  Seems to me that the national media are jumping down Urban's throat for every little thing he does and I get it, he's a totally unlikable dickwad but in this particular situation...he's just telling the truth.  Damned if you do, damned if you dont but a coach is lying if they say the vax didnt take into account in their decision making.

I can see your point. But the lack if awareness of Urban Myers in “telling the truth” doesn’t bode well for Lawrence. Just another distraction in an off season of pkenty

This is just a sign of organizational quality, which is surprising since Khan is a successful business person who runs a large company.

You don't talk about this stuff publicly.   Particularly in North Florida.  I don't think anyone doubts that Newton's vaccination status factored into his being cut, but you don't talk about it.  

3 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I can see your point. But the lack if awareness of Urban Myers in “telling the truth” doesn’t bode well for Lawrence. Just another distraction in an off season of pkenty

I highly doubt this is a distraction.  Just more of the NFL, NFL'ing.

• Haha 1

My CFL team has had a large out break and had to postpone a game because of it. 

They just cut a starting olineman because he violated the protocols.  (Believe it or not for using a non team approved masseuse).

This is a fact of life in sports like many other parts of society now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jaguars coach Urban Meyer said he and general manager Trent Baalke took a player's vaccination status into consideration during final roster cuts.

Meyer said Tuesday that it was considered because of the more stringent COVID-19 protocols imposed on unvaccinated players who test positive or are identified as high-risk close contacts as compared with the protocols for vaccinated players.

Meyer’s remarks did not go over well with the NFL players association. 

This is not about how you feel about the vaccine and the mandates, but rather how the Jags cannot stay away from controversy.

If this is the case, why in the world would Urban Meyer say this out loud?

More (continued) distractions for Trevor Lawrence.

I find it insane how the Jaguars  get so little push back from the media. They have had a disastrous off season off and on the field.   I find it so curious the media lack of reaction/protection considering it was such a big deal if Lawrence went to the Jets and how we would destroy him. How we were the laughingstock.

Seriously.  What on earth is Meyer thinking?  Can you imagine Bill Parcells discussing his reasoning about final cutdown?   If you even asked the question he wold glower at you and say - NEXT QUESTION.  Then he would go LOOK YOU UP AFTER THE PRESS CONFERENCE.

What a buffoon.  There is literally nothing to gain. 

Do I agree with him on the merits?  Yes.  But that literally has nothing to do with it.   This is public speaking.  Does he think he is running for the Senate?  His phone must be ringing off the hook from the league office, his team, politicians and everybody else who wants to make hay out of the situation.

Imagine young Trevor Lawrence being asked about it while surrounded by teammates.  Some of whom are vaccinated and some of whom are not.  Whose side does the 22 year old take?  Does he punt with "no comment" and fail to support the non-vaccinated Guard who will be trying to save his life from Khalil Mack on Sunday?  Or does he wander into a fray that will make the front page no matter what he says.  He is the first pick of the NFL draft, his opinion on the best varieties of determinate paste tomatoes will be printed nationwide.   

Meyer's JOB in this scenario is to threaten, cajole and manipulate the press coverage so he can develop his young QB.  Not cast him into the pit.