Urban Myers remarks on Jaguars cuts

True, my point is that the Jets were considered the laughingstock and Jacksonville the “stable organization” for Lawrence to be chosen by. I find it ironic that they are having such a disastrous off-season and we appear to be the stable ones (knock on wood/no jinx) 
I have been saying this over and over and over....remarkable how the narrative has changed now that it's not the Jets.

Sent from the NY Jets Training Camp Suicide Watch desk.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably shouldn’t of been said but it’s a smart business move no matter what your stance is on the Vax

This is true for 31 other teams but they are smart enough to lie to the media about it

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

Their owner is a minority, Pakistani-American.  In this day and age no one will challenge the moves for fear of cancellation.  The Jags are in way better position than Houston, Detroit or Philadelphia.

The media only goes after low hanging fruit.  In depth journalism died ages ago.

interesting point! 

• Confused 1
10 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Probably shouldn’t of been said but it’s a smart business move no matter what your stance is on the Vax

Yeah, other than its going to start a shltstorm.  

• Haha 1
Just now, Albaniajet said:

And losing half the roster in the middle of the season because someone won’t get the vaccine isn’t a sh tstorm?

When there are many, who I would characterize as inteligent people, who are choosing not to get the vaccine, risking their paychecks, it would make me research and at least pause as to why. 

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

For what?  NFL teams can cut players for any reason they choose.

The Coach could think the guy is a dick, and cut him for that alone, and there is nothing whatsoever the Players Union (or a Court) is going to do about it.

Other than this along with other reasons outlined by the agreement between the NFL and NFLPA. 

7 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

And losing half the roster in the middle of the season because someone won’t get the vaccine isn’t a sh tstorm?

It will.  

And has nothing to do with it.  Its not allowed.

SO he needed to STFU

Disagree with this premise. Unvaccinated people do not have a “ medical condition “ they have made a choice not to get vaccinated 
Thank you. It's not a "condition" at all. A condition is something you don't have a choice about like having seizures. If the Bears cut a player and said we had to take into consideration that he has seizures then while it's their right there would definitely be a discrimination lawsuit. The fact is this place of employment requires physicality so any kind of risk to the physical health of other players is a valid reason to be cut loose. If you had ebola or were recently exposed then you pose the same risk.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
13 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

Also the point

What's the NFL's thought on Polio?  Vaccine or no?  Do they mandate it for Measles?  Mumps?
Good point but probably moot since most elementary schools required it for admission so many of the players have it already.

• Upvote 2
He was but he got it.  Just look on the sidelines.  If they have a mask on, they aren't vaccinated.  No mask=vaccinated.
Good observation...same thing for press conferences

I’m gonna lol hard if the bills miss the playoffs because Cole Beasley got half the roster infected 
Or someone sends an infected stripper to his birthday party right before the playoffs...that would be a shame wouldn't it?

• Haha 1

It's bad business.  Lots of people are emotional and anti vaccine.  Why piss off a large percentage of Jacksonville customers? 

For example my post is very mooshy and hard to interperate my view on the subject.  That's how you gotta play it no matter where you stand.  

I'm in the hospital almost every day for work often working around COVID patients and I could say "Almost everyone dying in my area were not vaccinated.  Many more unvaccinated who survive get ****ed up probably for life.  Lizard men won't eat your brain if your vaccinated." But we don't want this thread to be locked, so we don't say thank kind of stuff.

Lastly, why do people think this thread will be locked? 

• Thumb Down 1
10 hours ago, section314 said:

An employers first responsibility is the health and safety of his employees. You don’t like it, go get another job. 

Please, they don't care about health and safety.  They care about the rule enacted by the NFL prior to the season, stating that the league won't be flexible in rescheduling/moving games if unvaccinated players are the reason for roster issues. 

This is a pure business decision.  Fringe roster players who are unvaxed are all in danger of losing their jobs, because teams are not going to tolerate those guys potentially costing them wins.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, bgivs21 said:

It's still basing someone's employment on a medical condition. Think what you want but you could definitely bring a discrimination lawsuit. 

I'm sure the NFLPA will be looking into it, but I have no doubt the NFL will win on this one.  The CBA strongly favors the NFL in all disputes and this will be no different.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is a pure business decision.  Fringe roster players who are unvaxed are all in danger of losing their jobs, because teams are not going to tolerate those guys potentially costing them wins.

They must know that.  I agree its the fringe guys who are getting cut for it.  

These guys put their body through hell to play, so they feel strongly about it.  Or they think they are more important to the team than they are lol.  

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Action Zachtion said:

They must know that.  I agree its the fringe guys who are getting cut for it.  

These guys put their body through hell to play, so they feel strongly about it.  Or they think they are more important to the team than they are lol.  

Probably moreso the latter.  These guys are all alpha males who are used to being one of the best players on the field their whole lives at every level.  Hardly any of them think they're fringe guys.

• Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, he shouldnt have said anything.

He didnt have to, so why?  

It’s no secret teams are using this as a determining factor when the decision between a vaxed or unvaccinated player is a close one.

Meyer was asked if it was a consideration and said yes. Good for him. Maybe he feels it’s important to come out pro vaccine. Maybe he’s sending his unvaxed players a message.
Who knows, maybe he doesn’t care either way, just wants as few non vaxed players as possible on his roster because of the new forfeit rules for teams affected by covid this year. If so, I don’t blame him.

Long story short, I have no problem whatsoever with Meyer being honest enough to say what he did, and for outing the NFL’s little “secret.” I wish more in his position would do the same.

I don’t want to be with unvaxed people. I have no sympathy for them when it comes to facing consequences for what I feel is a bad decision on their part.

• Thumb Down 1
3 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

It’s no secret teams are using this as a determining factor when the decision between a vaxed or unvaccinated player is a close one.

Meyer was asked if it was a consideration and said yes. Good for him. Maybe he feels it’s important to come out pro vaccine. Maybe he’s sending his unvaxed players a message.
Who knows, maybe he doesn’t care either way, butjust wants as few non vaxed players as possible on his roster because of the new forfeit rules for teams affected by covid this year. If so, I don’t blame him.

Long story short, I have no problem whatsoever with Meyer being man enough to say what he did, and outing the NFL’s little “secret” I wish more in his position would do the same.

I don’t want to be with unvaxed people. I have no sympathy for them when it comes to facing consequences for what I feel is a bad decision on their part.

Says who?  How does anyone know what teams are doing?  

Meyer can say whenever he wants that hes going against the agreement between the union and teams.  

I totally agree with your last point.  I just heard about a friends cousin.  Refused to get it, they had all the usual excuses.  He died from COVID.  She ran and got the vaccine.  Dumb as can be

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Says who?  How does anyone know what teams are doing?  

Meyer can say whenever he wants that hes going against the agreement between the union and teams.  

I totally agree with your last point.  I just heard about a friends cousin.  Refused to get it, they had all the usual excuses.  He died from COVID.  She ran and got the vaccine.  Dumb as can be

Well, we know that’s what the Jaguars did, and I think you’re smart enough to know they aren’t the only ones.

I think we’re both threading on thin ice here though. I think you and I can have this conversation, but it’s not wise to have it here. Why take the chance of angering others and getting a thread locked?

I thought I addressed your point about the “agreement” in my prior post, but I’ll add that I have absolutely no respect for the NFLPA as a union, so there’s that.

If they want to make an issue out of protecting the rights of non vaxed players they can do so, but I’ll just say that’s a strange hill to die on.

Ill let you have the last word if you like, but after that, I think it best we move on. 🍻

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, DLJ said:

He need to go back to college he isn’t ready for the big leagues. Somethings are best left unsaid

If you think Urban Meyer, with all he’s accomplished, isn’t ready for “the big leagues” then what are the chances that Robert Saleh will be a great HC for the Jets?

I ask because Meyer has likely forgotten more about coaching a football than Saleh knows.

I agree some things are better left unsaid, but in some cases, I think it’s important to say what others are afraid to.

13 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

If you think Urban Meyer, with all he’s accomplished, isn’t ready for “the big leagues” then what are your thoughts on whether Robert Saleh will be a great HC for the Jets?

I ask because Meyer has likely forgotten more about coaching a football than Saleh knows.

I dont know how you can make this statement.  What we do know is when Urban has coached a team with more talent than 95% of the teams hes gone up against, hes won.  

You could say that every college coach with time as a college HC knows more than Saleh.  Yet how many have made it? JJ and who many others?  How come the greatest of all college HCs, Saban, was a failure in Miami?  

37 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I dont know how you can make this statement.  What we do know is when Urban has coached a team with more talent than 95% of the teams hes gone up against, hes won.  

You could say that every college coach with time as a college HC knows more than Saleh.  Yet how many have made it? JJ and who many others?  How come the greatest of all college HCs, Saban, was a failure in Miami?  

I don’t know, maybe his players weren’t good? Why wasJimmy Johnson such a great HC for the Cowboys? Because he had good players?

I don’t understand when people use Saban as an example for putting down the chances of NCAA HCs to succeed in the NFL. It’s akin to those who say Belichick isn’t a great HC without Tom Brady, or that Namath wasn’t a great QB because of his TD/int ratio. It shows a lack of understanding about the game and those who play it.

As for Meyer he’s won everywhere he’s coached, from Bowling Green, where he built the program, to Florida in the SEC where everyone has talent, to Ohio State. His resume is impeccable Not only did he win in those last two places, he won Natty’s (I hate that term, lol). 
Could he lose more than he wins in Jacksonville? Sure. Like the Jets, they’re not the best of franchises, few win there, few win here. Maybe that changes with the new QBs though. Either way, he’s a better HC than 90% of those doing it today. Most HCs fail, it doesn’t matter if they come from college or the NFL. They’re taking jobs with bad teams and bad management in almost every instance.

My concern with him isn’t his ability to coach, it’s his ability to coach and maintain his health. That’s been his only issue.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Maybe their were, maybe not. The lack of awareness by announcing it is alarming to me 

Hes so used to doing and saying whatever he wants in his D1 feifdom.  He will not be able to handle the NFL.  So glad we dodged this bullet 

15 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Interesting, I kind of see it the other way.  Seems to me that the national media are jumping down Urban's throat for every little thing he does and I get it, he's a totally unlikable dickwad but in this particular situation...he's just telling the truth.  Damned if you do, damned if you dont but a coach is lying if they say the vax didnt take into account in their decision making.

Agree

6 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

You can’t discriminate based on disability (there are 6 protected classes race, sex, age, religion, disability and genetic information)

Refusing the vaccine isn’t a disability

Arguably, given what it shows in terms of mental acuity, it is. 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

It’s just way too easy for these guys to be successful in college for them to want to deal with the never ending pressure cooker life of being an NFL head coach

Saban and Petrino couldn’t wait to quit their NFL jobs for exactly that reason.  Meyer probably will as well even if the jags win 6 or 7 games this year which would be considered a very successful year for them 

The college coaches who recently did well transitioning to the NFL — one was forced to switch to a NFL gig (Carroll) due to the fact he got busted for paying players at USC.  The other (Harbaugh) is a nutcase who is simply better suited for the NFL 

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

While not as common as it once was, Pete Carrol has been pretty good.  There really arent too many other examples recently, or currently.  Kingsbury, Rhule, Marrone, O'Brien - it's been pretty limited really.

Part of having good players in college, is attracting good players.  The program helps but as we've seen time and time again, it is unquestionably the Head Coach who makes a program great.  And I dont think it's Urban's endearing personality that attracted players, it was because he was arguably the best coach in country who could get you a chance at a Nat'y and drafted.  Florida hadnt won a Nat'y in 9 years before Urban and we havent won (or been close to it) a Nat'y since.  Ohio St. had not won a Nat'y in 11 years before Urban, havent won one since.  Urban had to take down Saban on the way to his titles at both Florida and Ohio St, arguably beating better teams.

In regards to who knows more, impossible to verify but the reality is, Urban has 20 years of Head Coaching experience at 4 different programs.  Robert Saleh has been a DC for 3 years and was nothing more than a positional coach prior.  I think it's pretty fair to say that Urban has some years of wisdom on being a HC over Saleh.  Doesnt mean anything in terms of who will be more successful but I think that's safe to say.

3 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

It’s just way too easy for these guys to be successful in college for them to want to deal with the never ending pressure cooker life of being an NFL head coach

Saban and Petrino couldn’t wait to quit their NFL jobs for exactly that reason.  Meyer probably will as well even if the jags win 6 or 7 games this year which would be considered a very successful year for them 

The college coaches who recently did well transitioning to the NFL — one was forced to switch to a NFL gig (Carroll) due to the fact he got busted for paying players at USC.  The other (Harbaugh) is a nutcase who is simply better suited for the NFL 

He took over Bowling Green and Utah and won immediately. He wasn’t a always getting 5 stars.