Urban Myers remarks on Jaguars cuts

Copernicus

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

While not as common as it once was, Pete Carrol has been pretty good.  There really arent too many other examples recently, or currently.  Kingsbury, Rhule, Marrone, O'Brien - it's been pretty limited really.

Part of having good players in college, is attracting good players.  The program helps but as we've seen time and time again, it is unquestionably the Head Coach who makes a program great.  And I dont think it's Urban's endearing personality that attracted players, it was because he was arguably the best coach in country who could get you a chance at a Nat'y and drafted.  Florida hadnt won a Nat'y in 9 years before Urban and we havent won (or been close to it) a Nat'y since.  Ohio St. had not won a Nat'y in 11 years before Urban, havent won one since.  Urban had to take down Saban on the way to his titles at both Florida and Ohio St, arguably beating better teams.

In regards to who knows more, impossible to verify but the reality is, Urban has 20 years of Head Coaching experience at 4 different programs.  Robert Saleh has been a DC for 3 years and was nothing more than a positional coach prior.  I think it's pretty fair to say that Urban has some years of wisdom on being a HC over Saleh.  Doesnt mean anything in terms of who will be more successful but I think that's safe to say.

Seems to me the media hates Urban more than they dislike unvaccinated players. Pecking order at work. There always is for the the media.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

The college coaches who recently did well transitioning to the NFL — one was forced to switch to a NFL gig (Carroll) due to the fact he got busted for paying players at USC.  The other (Harbaugh) is a nutcase who is simply better suited for the NFL 

Wow, forgot about Harbaugh.  But another who likes college more than the pros.

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

While not as common as it once was, Pete Carrol has been pretty good.  There really arent too many other examples recently, or currently.  Kingsbury, Rhule, Marrone, O'Brien - it's been pretty limited really.

Part of having good players in college, is attracting good players.  The program helps but as we've seen time and time again, it is unquestionably the Head Coach who makes a program great.  And I dont think it's Urban's endearing personality that attracted players, it was because he was arguably the best coach in country who could get you a chance at a Nat'y and drafted.  Florida hadnt won a Nat'y in 9 years before Urban and we havent won (or been close to it) a Nat'y since.  Ohio St. had not won a Nat'y in 11 years before Urban, havent won one since.  Urban had to take down Saban on the way to his titles at both Florida and Ohio St, arguably beating better teams.

In regards to who knows more, impossible to verify but the reality is, Urban has 20 years of Head Coaching experience at 4 different programs.  Robert Saleh has been a DC for 3 years and was nothing more than a positional coach prior.  I think it's pretty fair to say that Urban has some years of wisdom on being a HC over Saleh.  Doesnt mean anything in terms of who will be more successful but I think that's safe to say.

And as I said Saban, the most successful college coach ever couldn't hack NFL life.  Its not just the knowledge to coach, its much more.  Thats all

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

And as I said Saban, the most successful college coach ever couldn't hack NFL life.  Its not just the knowledge to coach, its much more.  Thats all

I was referring to Urban’s experience vs Saleh’s but yeah like I said, it’s not trendy, hasn’t happened much but Carrol went to 2 Super Bowl’s and won/went to Nat’ys too, so there are examples on both sides, just not common anymore. 

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

I was referring to Urban’s experience vs Saleh’s but yeah like I said, it’s not trendy, hasn’t happened much but Carrol went to 2 Super Bowl’s and won/went to Nat’ys too, so there are examples on both sides, just not common anymore. 

I get it, I agree Urban has more experience.  

But given how many college coaches try to make it as an NFL HC and how many fail I'd put my money on the NFL coordinator making the step to a successful NFL HC over a college HC.  Their odds are better.  Its a different game and adult men making millions are a different breed than college kids.  

Carrol was a 2 time NFL HC before he coached at USC.  Before that he was a DC and a position coach.  

10 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

If you think Urban Meyer, with all he’s accomplished, isn’t ready for “the big leagues” then what are the chances that Robert Saleh will be a great HC for the Jets?

I ask because Meyer has likely forgotten more about coaching a football than Saleh knows.

I agree some things are better left unsaid, but in some cases, I think it’s important to say what others are afraid to.

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I dont know how you can make this statement.  What we do know is when Urban has coached a team with more talent than 95% of the teams hes gone up against, hes won.  

You could say that every college coach with time as a college HC knows more than Saleh.  Yet how many have made it? JJ and who many others?  How come the greatest of all college HCs, Saban, was a failure in Miami?  

Yeah, and coaching in the NFL is an entirely different beast.  It's a lot easier to dominate at the collegiate level when you are recruiting pretty much all the 5-star talent you want.  You need to understand a lot of the minute details at the pro level, because you'll have games or whole seasons with OL issues, a secondary getting burnt constantly, etc, and will need to learn how to make adjustments.

Steve Spurrier knew a ton about football too but was a massive failure in the NFL.  Why?  Because he didn't have a huge grasp of the little details.  When his OL struggled in Washington, his solution was to literally say "Ya gotta block em up.  Just gotta block em up!"  Which of course accomplishes nothing.  Teams turn to the HC to figure out solutions and he didn't have them.  We'll see if Urban Meyer is a guy with solutions.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

39 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I get it, I agree Urban has more experience.  

But given how many college coaches try to make it as an NFL HC and how many fail I'd put my money on the NFL coordinator making the step to a successful NFL HC over a college HC.  Their odds are better.  Its a different game and adult men making millions are a different breed than college kids.  

Carrol was a 2 time NFL HC before he coached at USC.  Before that he was a DC and a position coach.  

I guess it depends a little on how you define success vs failure and the time frame.  Last 20 years?  Not great but Billy O, Carrol and Harbaugh had some good years. Then you got guys like Bill Walsh, Dick Vermeil, Jimmy J, Barry Switzer, Air Coryell, Dennis Green, Marv Levy...pretty good list.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

I guess it depends a little on how you define success vs failure and the time frame.  Last 20 years?  Not great but Billy O, Carrol and Harbaugh had some good years. Then you got guys like Bill Walsh, Dick Vermeil, Jimmy J, Barry Switzer, Air Crowell, Dennis Green, Marv Levy...pretty good list.  

Bill Walsh, because he coached one year in the continental league.  After coaching for Al Davis then on to the Bengals etc?  Nah, that doesnt count.  I could have won with JJs Cowboy team

How about putting it this way, almost all long time college HC fail in the NFL

• Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Bill Walsh, because he coached one year in the continental league.  After coaching for Al Davis then on to the Bengals etc?  Nah, that doesnt count.  I could have won with JJs Cowboy team

How about putting it this way, almost all long time college HC fail in the NFL

Ok well, you just define what you want and consider what you want and have your own criteria!  Makes for a great conversation! 

12 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Ok well, you just define what you want and consider what you want and have your own criteria!  Makes for a great conversation! 

I dont think anyone would call Walsh a college HC 

It is a great conversation because we'll see it play out once again with Urban

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I dont think anyone would call Walsh a college HC 

It is a great conversation because we'll see it play out once again with Urban

Saleh and Meyer are both in very similar situations going into this year. They were both hired by terrible football teams in ‘20, and they both will begin their tenure with heralded rookie QBs but not much else.

What would you say they need to accomplish in order to be considered successful? There’s no right or wrong answer, I’m just curious what you and others think.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

It’s no secret teams are using this as a determining factor when the decision between a vaxed or unvaccinated player is a close one.

Meyer was asked if it was a consideration and said yes. Good for him. Maybe he feels it’s important to come out pro vaccine. Maybe he’s sending his unvaxed players a message.
Who knows, maybe he doesn’t care either way, just wants as few non vaxed players as possible on his roster because of the new forfeit rules for teams affected by covid this year. If so, I don’t blame him.

Long story short, I have no problem whatsoever with Meyer being honest enough to say what he did, and for outing the NFL’s little “secret.” I wish more in his position would do the same.

I don’t want to be with unvaxed people. I have no sympathy for them when it comes to facing consequences for what I feel is a bad decision on their part.

@VUJetsfan you downvoted the above post which is fine. I have a question for you though, assuming the VU stands for University of Virginia. (Could be Villanova though?)

Are you aware that UVA has rescinded acceptance to non vaxxed students this year? What’s your opinion on that?

7 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Saleh and Meyer are both in very similar situations going into this year. They were both hired by terrible football teams in ‘20, and they both will begin their tenure with heralded rookie QBs but not much else.

What would you say they need to accomplish in order to be considered successful? There’s no right or wrong answer, I’m just curious what you and others think.

I just want the Jets, at this point, to be competitive in most games and entertaining.  The Gase years where you knew we were out of everything after the first few weeks of the season and every game was over in the 1st quarter were taking their toll.

Then I need to see improvement as Zach and the rest of the kids on this team gain experience.  I'm not going the braindead route of naming a minimum number of wins to make the season successful.  

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I just want the Jets, at this point, to be competitive in most games and entertaining.  The Gase years where you knew we were out of everything after the first few weeks of the season and every game was over in the 1st quarter were taking their toll.

Then I need to see improvement as Zach and the rest of the kids on this team gain experience.  I'm not going the braindead route of naming a minimum number of wins to make the season successful.  

I agree with you, which isn’t surprising since we’ve both been following this team the same amount of time, and have more patience than a lot of younger fans.

I’m not trying to be a noodge here, but you forgot to mention what you think Meyer needs to show.

• Upvote 1

Jimmie Johnson

Tom Coughlin

Hell even Barry Switzer won a superbowl.

Much like QBs, whether you are successful moving into a new job is dependant yon talent on your team.

College coaches seem to fail a lot because they leave after a few tough years knowing they have the easy college coaching gigs waiting for them.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I agree with you, which isn’t surprising since we’ve both been following this team the same amount of time, and have more patience than a lot of younger fans.

I’m not trying to be a noodge here, but you forgot to mention what you think Meyer needs to show.

Urban?  Mostly the same, but more importantly that hes in Jax for the long haul and is committed to build a team to last, not be a one year wonder and then he bails

• Upvote 1

On 9/1/2021 at 12:04 PM, CSNY said:

But there is no medical condition. It was a choice made by an individual to not get vaccinated. You may have an argument if it was Rankins that didn’t get vaccinated due to his blood issues  and was cut   That blood issue qualifies as a medical condition. 

Vinny Curry

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Jimmie Johnson

Tom Coughlin

Hell even Barry Switzer won a superbowl.

Much like QBs, whether you are successful moving into a new job is dependant yon talent on your team.

College coaches seem to fail a lot because they leave after a few tough years knowing they have the easy college coaching gigs waiting for them.

Fwiw, I think college is much harder grind.  Recruiting never stops, your roster changed year over year and you’re dealing with the NCAA, conferences and administration.  I don’t think they are “easier” gigs, just tend to be a little more secure. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

@VUJetsfan you downvoted the above post which is fine. I have a question for you though, assuming the VU stands for University of Virginia. (Could be Villanova though?)

Are you aware that UVA has rescinded acceptance to non vaxxed students this year? What’s your opinion on that?

My stance is that no one should be pressured to undergo medical treatment they do not want. Students, athletes, employees spend years trying to achieve their goals. They should fight back.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, VUJetsfan said:

My stance is that no one should be pressured to undergo medical treatment they do not want. Students, athletes, employees spend years trying to achieve their goals. They should fight back.

Where's the pressure?  They can take online classes or go somewhere else.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, VUJetsfan said:

NFL rules provide terms of participation for franchises and to some degree the rules of employment for players.

Players questioning the rules would carry about as much weight as a Jets player refusing the wear green uniforms or refusing to line up for kickoffs where everyone else does.  Players are not slaves. They always have the choice to withhold their labor if they don't like the rules.  Any of the rules.

In this case they are self-selecting themselves out of a job and probably out of a career to boot.  Good riddance to them.  Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Fwiw, I think college is much harder grind.  Recruiting never stops, your roster changed year over year and you’re dealing with the NCAA, conferences and administration.  I don’t think they are “easier” gigs, just tend to be a little more secure. 

It's harder for college coaches who aren't established and/or are at smaller programs where recruiting is very difficult.  Or perhaps coaches at programs where expectations are high but its much tougher to recruit than it was for the program a long time ago (like, say, Nebraska). 

But once you've established yourself, its definitely easier than the pros.  Having the ability to get the best talent out there gives you an enormous advantage over all NFL coaches whose rosters are subject to a draft and free agency.  You can't possibly convince me that Nick Saban's job is tougher than any NFL coach's.  But he did put in the work to get where he is today, and I'm sure that grind was highly difficult.  

On 9/1/2021 at 10:19 AM, Copernicus said:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jaguars coach Urban Meyer said he and general manager Trent Baalke took a player's vaccination status into consideration during final roster cuts.

Meyer said Tuesday that it was considered because of the more stringent COVID-19 protocols imposed on unvaccinated players who test positive or are identified as high-risk close contacts as compared with the protocols for vaccinated players.

Meyer’s remarks did not go over well with the NFL players association. 

This is not about how you feel about the vaccine and the mandates, but rather how the Jags cannot stay away from controversy.

If this is the case, why in the world would Urban Meyer say this out loud?

More (continued) distractions for Trevor Lawrence.

I find it insane how the Jaguars  get so little push back from the media. They have had a disastrous off season off and on the field.   I find it so curious the media lack of reaction/protection considering it was such a big deal if Lawrence went to the Jets and how we would destroy him. How we were the laughingstock.

Oh please, so some blow hard media idiots said it would be a crime for the Jets to be allowed anywhere near Lawrence

Eddie Murphy Whatever GIF by Coming to America

10 hours ago, EM31 said:

Walmart probably has a team but on the other hand Walmart will probably have a vaccination policy too.

Play by the rules or seek life elsewhere.

I'm so confused.  I thought choice was being able to do whatever I wanted to do.  

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

I'm so confused.  I thought choice was being able to do whatever I wanted to do.  

Employers have choice too and you have a choice as to whether or not you want to work there. Choices all around.  Nothing to see here.

• Upvote 2