Bless Released

HawkeyeJet

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Why did something have to of happened internally?   We’re talking about Bless Austin…Lol.   What exactly doesn’t  make sense?  

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I think they new players were closing the gap on Austin quickly and I suspect that their was a chemistry issue in the room. Austin has proven to be an arrogant loudmouth (unjustifiably so) and I think this was an addition by subtraction move. Austin is just not the "type" of player the JD and Saleh are looking for to fill their roster.  

the team had 2 cornerbacks with experience.  to randomly cut him, a week before the season opener, when he's been playing with the 1st team defense all preseason doesn't add up. i get he isn't the best of players but echols, dunn, etc didn't show much in preseason to be entrusted with the starting position.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, heymangold said:

the team had 2 cornerbacks with experience.  to randomly cut him, a week before the season opener, when he's been playing with the 1st team defense all preseason doesn't add up. i get he isn't the best of players but echols, dunn, etc didn't show much in preseason to be entrusted with the starting position.

Exactly! So, there is something they are not telling us. IMO, it is probably a "culture" issue. They are building a culture and he doesn't fit it.

• Upvote 1

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) — Bless Austin has a strong message for anyone who thinks the New York Jets are weak and inexperienced at cornerback.

Let’s just say, he doesn’t share your concerns.

At all.

“I come to camp looking forward to get my next contract,” Austin said after practice Monday. “I don’t worry about who’s starting. I don’t worry about none of that. I mean, I think I’m the real deal. There ain’t no secret in that. Click the tape and press play, you know?

“Of course, I make mistakes, but there’s also a lot of plays I’ve made on that field that other corners in this league aren’t making.”

It’s a bold statement by Austin, heading into his third season after being a sixth-round pick out of Rutgers in 2019. But it’s hardly a surprising one.

He is 25 and brimming with confidence. It’s what drives him to be better. And it’s what has allowed him to come back from the knee injuries that stole most of his final two college seasons, caused him to slip down the draft boards and delayed his NFL debut in his rookie season.

21 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Exactly! So, there is something they are not telling us. IMO, it is probably a "culture" issue. They are building a culture and he doesn't fit it.

if that was the case he would have been gone much earlier, don't you think? it sounds to me like either he legit got beat our in camp, or there is some medical concern, or there is an actual issue that developed in the last few days.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

if that was the case he would have been gone much earlier, don't you think? it sounds to me like either he legit got beat our in camp, or there is some medical concern, or there is an actual issue that developed in the last few days.

I had a different idea.  Maybe the jets staff is looking to see who will be here in a few years, when they’re presumably going to be contending.  Bless will be 28 in 3 years and is already saying he wants a huge contract.  Well, if there isn’t much of a difference in actual performance among all these cbs, why keep the guy who is destined to be a contract headache who really isn’t much better than these other rooks?  Douglas just dealt adams for this very reason.  I think bless overplayed his hand, and the jets looked at all these cbs they’ve drafted and thought, well, these guys can hold the fort this year, let’s see what we have and what we need to draft next season when we have 4 premium picks, and move on from this guy who seems destined to be a headache when we don’t need any more divas in our secondary.  Plus the way they value the cbs is no where near where they value the pass rushers anyway.  The last thing douglas wants is to overpay a cb when he’s on the verge of finally getting rid of all the bad contracts that mccagnan dealt.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Barton said:

Something is off here. A guy heading into year 3, who showed flashes last year. Something is up. 

I wouldn't say that he showed flashes because Bless was arguably the worst CB within a Secondary that ranked 32nd and dead last (which is why JD drafted so many DBs).

2020 Pass Defense:
• 28th in passing yards allowed (4,409).
• 28th in receptions allowed (418).
• 28th in passing 1st downs allowed (235).
• 28th in INTs (10).
• 29th in QB Rating allowed (103.2).
• 30th in TD passes allowed (34).
• 30th in completion percentage against (69.1%).

Bless Austin:
• 73 targets with 48 catches allowed (65.8%).
• 478 receiving yards allowed (45.0 per game).
• 3 TDs allowed (0 INTs).
• 97.9 DB Rating against the pass (awful). 

What is there to miss? 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Offense Wins Championships said:

I wouldn't say that he showed flashes because Bless was arguably the worst CB within a Secondary that ranked 32nd and dead last (which is why JD drafted so many DBs).

2020 Pass Defense:
• 28th in INTs (10).

Bless Austin:

What is there to miss? 

Obviously he suffers from delusions of grandeur 

“I come to camp looking forward to get my next contract,” Austin said after practice Monday. “I don’t worry about who’s starting. I don’t worry about none of that. I mean, I think I’m the real deal. There ain’t no secret in that. Click the tape and press play, you know?

1 hour ago, Offense Wins Championships said:

2020 Pass Defense:
• 28th in INTs (10).

Bless Austin:

What is there to miss? 

These stats look awfuly familar. All thats missing are pictures.  Wheres the pictures?

bless.jpg

2nd.jpg

2ndaary.jpg

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Offense Wins Championships said:

Bless Austin:

What is there to miss? 

Except that these numbers are not awful as you state above.  There were 121 CBs who were targeted at least 25 times last season.

• 73 targets with 48 catches allowed (65.8%). 76 out of 121.  Below average (but not awful)
  • 478 receiving yards allowed.  On 73 targets, he gave up an average of 6.5 yards per target.  23 out of 121.  Better than average
  • 3 TDs allowed (0 INTs).  3 TDs on 73 targets comes to a TD every 24.33 targets.  51 out of 121.  Better than average.
  • 97.9 DB Rating against the pass (awful). 69 out of 121.  Below average, (but not awful)

I am not a film guy, especially to evaluate CBs, but the numbers suggest he was average.  Film might suggest otherwise, but the numbers were not bad.  Far from awful.   

Disclaimer, the numbers do not provide context, as Bless probably did not often go up against WR1s, so there could be guys with worse numbers who are better players.  Stats without proper context are not very meaningful.  Evaluate the player and not the box score.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Except that these numbers are not awful as you state above.  There were 121 CBs who were targeted at least 25 times last season.

• 73 targets with 48 catches allowed (65.8%). 76 out of 121.  Below average (but not awful)
  • 478 receiving yards allowed.  On 73 targets, he gave up an average of 6.5 yards per target.  23 out of 121.  Better than average
  • 3 TDs allowed (0 INTs).  3 TDs on 73 targets comes to a TD every 24.33 targets.  51 out of 121.  Better than average.
  • 97.9 DB Rating against the pass (awful). 69 out of 121.  Below average, (but not awful)

I am not a film guy, especially to evaluate CBs, but the numbers suggest he was average.  Film might suggest otherwise, but the numbers were not bad.  Far from awful.   

Disclaimer, the numbers do not provide context, as Bless probably did not often go up against WR1s, so there could be guys with worse numbers who are better players.  Stats without proper context are not very meaningful.  Evaluate the player and not the box score.

As I have written earlier in this thread, Bless was frequently misused during his first two seasons.   Playing one on one in man-to-man off coverage is just not his forte.  He is a press corner who gains his critical advantage by jamming the receiver at the line with his superior strength and length.   We gambled like crazy with all sorts of blitzes and left corners on islands.  When you do that, you do not get up on the line and press the receiver.  It is like declawing a cat.

This scheme's whole purpose is to prevent one on one coverage and to provide help so defenders can keep their back to the end zone and their eyes on the QB.  It is why the scheme generates interceptions.  I really thought Bless would be ideal for it.  That this was his moment.  Instead, the coach decided he would rather train four rookies.  While I have to trust in the new coach, what bothers me about this development are twin realities.  Bless got the snaps in BOTH practice and preseason as the STARTER.  Nobody else was given that burden.  Whoever we throw out there will be starting for the first time.  No preseason and only a limited number of first team reps which had to be shared between Guidry and the four rookies.  One of those guys is the starter fellas.   Second, Bless really did take that next step in his sophomore year.  He came to camp a genuine professional who had hardened his body and it showed up on the field.   We couldn't work with that?   But now that is the past.

On the plus side then we have found four rookie corners worth training.  Two of whom have size in Pinnock and Dunn.  The other two have enough versatility that they can play safety or nickel.  Both Echols and MC2 are solid tacklers. 

• Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, Icer said:

You would have thought he'd have signed to a new team by now with the reactions in here

I mean, the way these guys are saying...there must be some sort of mysterious reason. There isn't. They like the other guys better. I don't think the Jets released Lester Hayes here, just some guy who showed potential and then didn't live up to it. No dead body or coke snorting with underage gypsies...

• Upvote 1