Bless Released

HawkeyeJet

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

So the pass rush takes a hit with the Lawson injury, and they start more or less experimenting with the youngest secondary they can field?

will we ever get to the part of the rebuild where the idea is to win ?

I think they want to win games this year, but the roster just isn’t ready to truly contend.  You know what, maybe the offense will be decent enough to keep them in games for a change, rather than relying on all those top defensive picks in the past decade to maybe  keep the other team under 20 points so the jets have a shot.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

Yes?? Lol there was a "rumor" that the staff was split on what to do with Darnold, Who ultimately had the final say? Apparently they tried to trade Austin before releasing him who's having those discussions? Its Saleh apparently. 

Bottom line Saleh is handed a roster by the GM. Saleh evaluates the players during practice and training camp and makes the final cuts. Keep in mind the GM has nothing to do with calls made by the HC nor does he have a say in roster depth charts.

When it comes to Darnold that's a whole different situation since you are talking franchise QB 3rd overall pick and Saleh just joined the football team. Obviously Douglas gave Saleh and his staff the chance to look over film of Darnold and give their recommendation which was probably then discussed between Douglas and Saleh who both came to a final decision.

My point is I do not think at anytime Douglas makes any cuts that's Saleh's decision. Saleh may also talk about players that he will cut and Douglas probably tries to pull off a trade if he feels the player may bring a nice draft pick Like Herndon Brought a 4th which surprised the hell out of me. Thing is if Herndon was doing great and Saleh loved him at TE do you think that trade would have happened cause Douglas wanted it ?

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think they want to win games this year, but the roster just isn’t ready to truly contend.  You know what, maybe the offense will be decent enough to keep them in games for a change, rather than relying on all those top defensive picks in the past decade to maybe  keep the other team under 20 points so the jets have a shot.

But saying they want to give the young guys a chance Means bless deserved a roster spot based on ability.   That’s messed up especially after preaching all the competition stuff 

9 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Bottom line Saleh is handed a roster by the GM. Saleh evaluates the players during practice and training camp and makes the final cuts. Keep in mind the GM has nothing to do with calls made by the HC nor does he have a say in roster depth charts.

When it comes to Darnold that's a whole different situation since you are talking franchise QB 3rd overall pick and Saleh just joined the football team. Obviously Douglas gave Saleh and his staff the chance to look over film of Darnold and give their recommendation which was probably then discussed between Douglas and Saleh who both came to a final decision.

My point is I do not think at anytime Douglas makes any cuts that's Saleh's decision. Saleh may also talk about players that he will cut and Douglas probably tries to pull off a trade if he feels the player may bring a nice draft pick Like Herndon Brought a 4th which surprised the hell out of me. Thing is if Herndon was doing great and Saleh loved him at TE do you think that trade would have happened cause Douglas wanted it ?

GM’s typically makes the cuts. Jimmy Johnson famously complained that he shouldn’t have to cook a meal if he didn’t decide the groceries.

5 hours ago, KRL said:

Desmond Trufant is out there, I think he played for Ulbrich in ATL

AH yes...I remember the 2013 draft well.  Screaming at the TV that we draft him at 13.....Instead, we drafted Richardson because we made the WONDERFUL move of Dee Millner.  Being a Jet fan is tough.

58 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

That was offseason moves . No way a GM makes cuts during training camp. 

Smash... You're wrong. Coach has final say over depth charts, and a good GM listens to the coach - but who stays who goes is the GM's call if there's a disagreement and the GM wants to pull rank

• Upvote 2

Just now, NYJ1 said:

I was never overly impressed with Austin. I thought he sucked. What I am surprised is the Jets keeping Isaih Dunn? I thought Dunn was GARBAGE. I have an idea they're going to sign a veteran.

Dunn WAS garbage. Maybe he is a locker room guy? Idk. 

But saying they want to give the young guys a chance Means bless deserved a roster spot based on ability.   That’s messed up especially after preaching all the competition stuff 

They were being polite, they weren’t going to say, “Well, Bless sucks the big one. Not literally, but figuratively. That’s why we cut his scrawny little chicken butt. Next question.”

12 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

Saleh had Nick Bosa in SF.  He’s going to have to blitz more here unless QW and Franklin Myers both play all world which might happen

Really not the point I was making.  I was responding to someone’s quote of Rex on how important corners are.  
Yea, the Jets premier pass rusher got injured but it doesn’t change the fact that Saleh’s scheme doesn’t value corners at a high level. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Really not the point I was making.  I was responding to someone’s quote of Rex on how important corners are.  
Yea, the Jets premier pass rusher got injured but it doesn’t change the fact that Saleh’s scheme doesn’t value corners at a high level. 

Ofcourse Saleh didn’t need corners he had a dominant beast edge rusher

Btw 49ers secondary > Jets Secondary 

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yea, the Jets premier pass rusher got injured but it doesn’t change the fact that Sakeh’s scheme doesn’t value corners at a high level. 

It’s not as if Saleh’s defense has ever had a high priced vet named Richard Sherman on it. 

17 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Dunn WAS garbage. Maybe he is a locker room guy? Idk. 

Dunn definitely looked overwhelmed during the pre-season but I can see why the Jets would favor him over a dude like Austin.

The natural talent is there but he’s clearly going to need some seasoning. Especially at turning his head around and playing the ball. But he doesn’t look overmatched physically.

Austin showed a few flashes over the last two years but nothing that would have me touting him as anything more than the 4th or 5th corner on your roster, preferably. A guy who can potentially fill in for a couple of games on the outside if one of your starters goes down with a minor injury, but nothing more.

Hall, on the other hand seems to have the potential to be a legitimate starter in this Cover 3 scheme and a guy like Echols has flashed both out wide and in the slot whenever he’s been on the field.

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

It’s not as if Saleh’s defense has ever had a high priced vet named Richard Sherman on it. 

Dude. I’m not arguing Saleh didn’t have better players in SF. Or that the Jets defense is going to approach SF’s success. Jeeze. 
just that his scheme doesn’t put as much weight into CB’s the way Rex’s did.  

Not everything needs to be an argument. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Dude. I’m not arguing Saleh didn’t have better players in SF. Or that the Jets defense is going to approach SF’s success. Jeeze. 
just that his scheme doesn’t put as much weight into CB’s the way Rex’s did.  

Not everything needs to be an argument. 

Except the 49ers put big money into Sherman in order to have a high end starter and then they retained Verrett who is considered a high end vet. The weight might be different but having good CBs matters in all schemes.

5 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Echols. He outplayed EVERY DB in camp and preseason.  But how do they cut Bless over Dunn and Pinnock. Thats really strange.

“The Real Deal” didn’t seem like the type of guy who would accept being relegated to a backup role quietly.

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Except the 49ers put big money into Sherman in order to have a high end starter and then they retained Verrett who is considered a high end vet. The weight might be different but having good CBs matters in all schemes.

OMG. Of course you want good players. Who wouldn’t?

The Jets don’t have them now and can’t just manufacture players. And have massive holes everywhere.
It’s seems clear to me they didn’t prioritize them because It’s lower in the priority scale. 
in Rex’s system it seemed to be the priority, because his scheme put a major emphasis on the position. 

7 hours ago, JazzyJet said:

i know it's early in the day but now we've got:

1) One TE on the roster who would be a 3rd TE on most teams, one TE/FB who would not be on any other team

2) 1 1/2 CBs with NFL experience

Honestly, there is no good way to spin this according to my very superficial understanding of things. Can the "in JD we trust" people please make sense of this for me.

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC

Given the depth of the hole dug by Idzik and Macc, did you honestly think it would get fixed in one year?

The reason Saleh is so calm about how young and inexperienced he, his coaches and his team are,  is that he's more than happy to "develop" players rather than focus on total W's.  This has been cleared by JD and ownership.  It also increases the value of our draft capital going into 2022.

This season is all about individual improvement, not group success (except for the OL which has to gel and progress as a unit).

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Smash... You're wrong. Coach has final say over depth charts, and a good GM listens to the coach - but who stays who goes is the GM's call if there's a disagreement and the GM wants to pull rank

So the GM is at every practice evaluating players ? The GM is in all the Meetings ? The GM knows how much effort the players are putting in or lack thereof ? The GM knows and understands the entire playbook ? The GM takes the advice of the HC when it comes to training camp decisions on who stays and who goes. The GM builds the roster before the season begins in OTA's and Mini Camps the HC picks his team. What you're saying is almost the same as saying the HC is making calls on who shakes loose from other rosters which is equally wrong since the HC is spending his time in meetings dealing with schemes and coaches and player issues not scanning other teams cuts or the waiver wire. They both have a job to do and equally take advice from one another. I'm not sure how you guys would ever think a GM would over rule a HC while building his roster when so much is involved and the GM is just not around enough to make those calls since he has his own duties to worry about. I'm sure some disagreements can arise but a smart GM listens to his head coaches needs and scheme fits and moves forward from that.

2019 draft class

• 1.3:  Quinnen Williams:  Stud (probably)
  • 3.68:  Jachai Polite:  Cut months after being drafted, now out of NFL
  • 3.92:  Chuma Edoga:  3rd string Right Tackle
  • 4.121:  Trevon Wesco:  Starting at a position that doesn't matter
  • 5.157:  Blake Cashman:  Backup LB, can't stay healthy
  • 6.196:  Blessuan Austin:  Cut

Big Mac Mcdonalds GIF by Arcos Dorados

45 minutes ago, addage said:

Given the depth of the hole dug by Idzik and Macc, did you honestly think it would get fixed in one year?

The reason Saleh is so calm about how young and inexperienced he, his coaches and his team are,  is that he's more than happy to "develop" players rather than focus on total W's.  This has been cleared by JD and ownership.  It also increases the value of our draft capital going into 2022.

This season is all about individual improvement, not group success (except for the OL which has to gel and progress as a unit).

This isnt year 1 for Joe Douglas. This will be the 3rd season in a row he will be the GM starting the season.

Idzik was the Jets GM from January 2013 to December 2014.

Joe was hired in June 2019.

Joe Douglas has been the GM longer than Idzik was. At what point does he stop getting a pass for everything and criticism is allowed of him?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

8 hours ago, JazzyJet said:

i know it's early in the day but now we've got:

1) One TE on the roster who would be a 3rd TE on most teams, one TE/FB who would not be on any other team

2) 1 1/2 CBs with NFL experience

Honestly, there is no good way to spin this according to my very superficial understanding of things. Can the "in JD we trust" people please make sense of this for me.

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC

You can't fix every problem on a roster every offseason, and JD/Saleh don't want to sign a bunch of veterans to block the young players' path. 

This is a year to see what we have while the rookie QB develops  We have a ton of picks in the 2022 class and will also have a ton of cap space.  EDGE rusher and TE will be priorities in that offseason, and I'm sure more DB's will be added as well.  

This franchise dealt with a decade of poor drafting prior to Douglas' arrival.  So this was always going to take some time.  But 2022 should be a very good year for this team.

7 hours ago, doitny said:

thats what i said at the draft when i wanted a CB either with the 2nd 1st rd pick or our 2nd rd pick. but everybody wanted offense. ok fine. but when Zach has to pass 40-45 times a game you put that kid in more situations with an obvious bullseye on his head. and no teams OL can protect the QB for constant blitzing because we are always behind. 

We're never going to draft a CB that high under the Saleh/Douglas tandem.  You probably should stop hoping for that as you'll only be disappointed.  We'll be spending our heavy resources on D on pass rushers instead.

• Upvote 1