Jets roster moves 09/01 - Zuniga released

shuler82

1 hour ago, freestater said:

Hall is a starter for one of the worst CB units in the league. Becton is available for like half the games. Mims has a real Stephen Hill vibe to him. Good (and productive) WRs were on the board when we wasted a pick on Morgan. (I wanted Peoples Jones) Mann is less effective than the shakeweight guy. 

We really need to be grading on a curve to consider JDs 2020 anything other than a disaster. 

Personally, I'm going to give the draft longer than just 1 season with a shortened training camp before I judge the rest.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yes having to cut picks you made like a year ago because they stink is always good gming.

You're right: If Joe Douglas wants to be the best GM, every single one of his picks has to work, and none of them can not work.

C'mon dude....you're better than that.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

You're right: If Joe Douglas wants to be the best GM, every single one of his picks has to work, and none of them can not work.

C'mon dude....you're better than that.

Okay you are right.  All his moves are great and no one should say a bad thing about any of them.

If you say even one thing to counter that well....come on you are better than that.

You get credit for good moves and Douglas has made many.  You get criticism for bad moves.  In the long run the good need to outweigh the bad.

1 hour ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Hey guys can we at least be a little excited about Zach Wilson, Vera Tucker, Elijah Moore, a couple of Carter’s and a bunch of late round safety turned linebackers that all made the team.  Jeez sometimes the self loathing is just too much and I’m as long suffering as suffering gets.  

how long a suffering jet fan are you to be excited about anyone but Zach and Nasirildeen? 

AVT and Moore havent even played yet. cant get on the field. we have seen this before, last year in fact with Mims and Davis and Davis still cant play. 

have the Carters excited you? the RB was the 2nd worst in the preseason. only better than Perine. and Adams played better and got cut. and the DB didnt stand out to me. 

i applaud your optimism. but as you being a long time fan knows, we seen this movie before and it never ends well for us. i hope this changes, but that 2020 draft isnt looking so well right now either.

4 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Never liked that Zuniga pick. Always hurt in college, always hurt as a pro, zero explosion and can't get off blocks. Don't know what the Jets saw in him.

Jabari-Zuniga-RAS-19387.png?w=806&ssl=1

Since athleticism is a pre-requisite to being a successful pass rusher moreso than any other position on the field, at least the pick was somewhat logical. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Love seeing JD not married to his pick, very refreshing. 

i think Saleh has the final say in his cuts. JD supplies the players, but i dont think he would force Saleh to keep someone he didnt want.  and Saleh isn't married to anyone of those 2020 picks.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Just wrote the same thing in the asinine "Fire Joe Douglas" thread.

Joe doesn't need to hang onto underperforming players just to try to prove himself right to us.  I respect a guy willing to say, "You know what, these guys didn't work out.  We didn't do a great evaluation last year during Covid when we couldn't really assess these guys as well as we wanted to, and that's on me.  I'm not going to compound the problem.  I'm going to build the roster."

Your first loss is your best loss

15 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

But its not.

2021 is/will be the bomb

I pray that he got it right and Wilson is the second-coming of Marino and Moore is the next OBJ and Saleh is the next Buddy Ryan.

As a negotiator, I think Joe Douglas is phenomenal.  Great accumulation of draft collateral, great use of cap space.  Bravo.  But player personnel?  Player picking?  Not good.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I pray that he got it right and Wilson is the second-coming of Marino and Moore is the next OBJ and Saleh is the next Buddy Ryan.

As a negotiator, I think Joe Douglas is phenomenal.  Great accumulation of draft collateral, great use of cap space.  Bravo.  But player personnel?  Player picking?  Not good.

SAR I

That's your dream team trio?  The only one that ever won the big one was Buddy Ryan and he never did it as a head coach.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Okay you are right.  All his moves are great and no one should say a bad thing about any of them.

If you say even one thing to counter that well....come on you are better than that.

You get credit for good moves and Douglas has made many.  You get criticism for bad moves.  In the long run the good need to outweigh the bad.

His first draft has played one season.....ONE SEASON.  And it was a disaster with Adam Gase, COVID, etc.

I get the frustration.  Zuniga has not worked out.  But go look at the picks after him.  Not much there to get excited about.  Davis was a good pick;  highly touted.  Guy has been hurt.  Mims, another good pick, not working out so far.

But I would like to see players with an actual NFL caliber coach, rather than Adam Gase.  If the team still looks this year like last year under Saleh  then its time to talk.  But right now, sit back, pour yourself a beer, and relax!

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lmao.  This coming from Mike Maccagnan's biggest fan.  

you can lol all you want but Q and Jamal are better than anything Joe D has picked thus far.

Hopefully this years draft is the real deal because the last couple have been suspect at best.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jabari-Zuniga-RAS-19387.png?w=806&ssl=1

Since athleticism is a pre-requisite to being a successful pass rusher moreso than any other position on the field, at least the pick was somewhat logical. 

Yeah, I was aware of his RAS numbers. But it never seems to show up on film. I took a look at him after he was drafted, and was very unimpressed. His pro film, such as it is, is even more unimpressive. For a plus athlete, he sure plays slow and displays little explosion.

Maybe he comes back on the PS and turns into something, but I'm not optimistic.

JD deserves criticism for draft failures.  Everybody has them and I like JD a lot overall.  But Zuniga was the 79th pick, he was a bad pick.  James Morgan was a terrible pick.

I'm still holding out hope for Ashtyn Davis but he's currently on the path to oblivion.  He's never had an OTA or training camp, in his second system having gotten zero reps in that new system, got very minimal experience last year and looked bad at times, and will already be 25 years old in a month.

• Upvote 3

I don’t know what JD was thinking in his draft picks last year.  

He overvalued athleticism over football playing in Mims, Zuniga and Davis.  He picked Morgan and Perine because they fit what Gase wanted.  He found Clark while scouting Benton.  Hall was a good value pick where he had to figure out the injury.  Becton he was willing to take a chance on his size issues.  

2021 already looks 10x better, mainly because of the coaching. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Pac said:

you can lol all you want but Q and Jamal are better than anything Joe D has picked thus far.

Hopefully this years draft is the real deal because the last couple have been suspect at best.

By 2022, Becton and Elijah Moore will be considered > Jamal Adams.  Why?  Because they are going to be deemed quality players at premium positions.  And obviously the hope will be that Zach Wilson joins that category as well, blowing the worst QB in the league Sam Darnold completely out of the water in terms of career trajectory. 

Obviously its too early to make any claims about Wilson yet but that's also exactly why its so silly for anyone to try to criticize Douglas' track record this soon into his tenure.  Maccagnan sucked so badly (as did his predecessors at GM) that Douglas had to completely start from scratch with this roster.  Their suckitude caused the 2-14 debacle last season, and only in 2021 is this Douglas' roster in earnest.  He has his rookie QB, his HC, and a ton of young guys that fit the system they're trying to run.  

Maccagnan, meanwhile, had 5 drafts and you can only name 2 good players.  One was a 3rd overall pick at DT.  The other was a 6th overall pick at a non-premium position, who Douglas duped Seattle into acquiring for a Khalil Mack package of picks.  That's a pathetic track record and you still defend the guy.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, varjet said:

He overvalued athleticism over football playing in Mims, Zuniga and Davis.  

Maybe so, but its far better to "overvalue" athleticism than not consider it at all, as was the case with Maccagnan.  Hence why we got stiffs like Lorenzo Mauldin and Jachai Polite all the time.  

While Zuniga is an athlete who didn't pay off, its too early to dismiss Mims.  Meanwhile, you forget that leaning on athleticism brought us Becton and Bryce Hall, and a promising young WR in Elijah Moore.  And I imagine there will be other guys who emerge from these last 2 draft classes/UDFA acquisitions who impress as well because of said athleticism.

It's not an either/or proposition.  Many athletes are also good football players.  But its very difficult to succeed in the NFL without athleticism.  And at no position is athleticism more important than at EDGE rusher, so its definitely logical to lean heavily on athleticism when drafting those.  Just sucks that it didn't work out with Zuniga.  Oh well.  Keep trying.  We haven't had a quality pass rusher since John Abraham was traded in 2005.

• Upvote 1