JD Press Conference 9/1

kdels62

Outside of the QB position, the 3 most important positions on a football club is LT, CB and an edge rusher.

Last year's draft and UDFA signings, the Jets secured: a starting Left Tackle in Mekhi Becton; a starting CB in Bryce Hall; a starting edge rusher in Bryce Huff; and starting nickel CB in Javelin Guidry.

CB Bryce Hall (64.5) – Hall recorded a 64.5 PFF grade which ranks around average at his position. For the sake of context, other notable AFC East corner rank as follows for 2020:

• Xavien Howard: 88.3 (leads the NFL)
  • Tre’Davious White: 74.5
  • Stephon Gilmore: 61.0
  • Byron Jones: 59.5

Bryce Huff had 2 sacks and 4 QB hits while playing a limited role last year.

LT Mekhi Becton (74.3) – Becton, who was drafted No. 11 overall in 2020, started 13 games at left tackle, playing 691 snaps (69.9%). He had the second-highest grade among tackles in his draft class, behind Tristan Wirfs. The Jets ran for a season-high 206 yards, the most since 2018, against the Raiders in Week 13 and 125 of those yards came running wide left on Becton's side.

CB Javelin Guidry (73.1)– An undrafted rookie, Guidry played in 11 games (2 starts) for the Green & White. He became the 11th rookie in 10 seasons with at least two forced fumbles in a game and the only undrafted rookie since 2011 to do so. He finished the season with 22 tackles, 4 FF and 1 QB hit.

The jury is still out on Davis, Mims and Perine. But to find 4 rookies who were average to above average in one draft/udfa class is incredible. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

46 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Let’s try this again.

You need to learn the NFL offseason. Free agency comes before the draft. Mac signed Bell, Mosley, etc in 2019 then drafted then was fired. Douglas had only 2 offseasons so far.

Let's try this again.

Joe Douglas was hired right after the 2019 draft.  He didn't sit around doing nothing.  He signed Karre Vedvik and others who lost 3 games costing us an unexpected playoff berth on their own.  Add to that the expensive waste of time Ryan Kalil.  Add to that his stalemate that cost us Kelece Osemele.  Add to that the trading away of Leonard Williams who became a NY Giants Pro Bowler.

Douglas did more damage in 2019 than Maccagnan did.  Of course it "counts". 

This ridiculous notion that Douglas is part of the Year 1 Reset of Saleh, LaFleur, and Wilson is laughable.  He's in Year 3.  It's time we see some results.

SAR I  

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

We have been rebuilding since Suck For Sam in 2017.  If our new GM did a better job in 2020 we would be looking at playoffs.  So I reject your premise outright.  

We expect both 8 wins and looking competitive in every game.  We didn’t need to become an expansion team.  That wasn’t the intent.  Douglas gutted the team and hasn’t filled the holes he himself created.   

SAR I

So you want us to empty the bank and go for broke hoping that the okayoffs is a crapshoot and we win a super bowl? Or do you want to tear this down the right way, with a smart coach and gm who are willing to endure the growing pains so they can become one of the perennial competitive teams. Cleveland is now doing it the right way. Baltimore and Pittsburgh are doing that as well. Tampa bay built up the team before going for broke with Brady. There is no easy answer. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Remind us who you have previously, contemporaneously with the hire, given all the credit to for the hiring of J.D.

I was dead wrong about Adam Gase.

It is entirely possible that everyone else is wrong about Joe Douglas.

SAR I

33 minutes ago, Wit said:

So you want us to empty the bank and go for broke hoping that the okayoffs is a crapshoot and we win a super bowl? Or do you want to tear this down the right way, with a smart coach and gm who are willing to endure the growing pains so they can become one of the perennial competitive teams. Cleveland is now doing it the right way. Baltimore and Pittsburgh are doing that as well. Tampa bay built up the team before going for broke with Brady. There is no easy answer. 

I buy into the rebuild from the ground up strategy.  I bought in back in 2017 when Christopher Johnson first announced it and Mike Maccagnan began shedding talent and accumulating draft capital and free agent money.

What I don't buy into is that Joe Douglas is the right guy.  Because if his 2020 draft and FA acquisitions have shown us anything, it's not good.  Let's see how this season goes.  He's got to prove it to us.  Right now.  It's time.  John Lynch turned the 49ers from doormats into a Super Bowl team in the same 2 offseasons that Joe Douglas has had.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I buy into the rebuild from the ground up strategy.  I bought in back in 2017 when Christopher Johnson first announced it and Mike Maccagnan began shedding talent and accumulating draft capital and free agent money.

What I don't buy into is that Joe Douglas is the right guy.  Because if his 2020 draft and FA acquisitions have shown us anything, it's not good.  Let's see how this season goes.  He's got to prove it to us.  Right now.  It's time.  John Lynch turned the 49ers from doormats into a Super Bowl team in the same 2 offseasons that Joe Douglas has had.

SAR I

I think that’s fair, but making up a random win number isn’t. It’s also unfair to compare the niners who have had good people in their organization prior to lynch taking over vs the Jets who were a disaster from top to bottom. Not every organization is going to turn around on the timeline that you as a fan would like. 

it Is fair to say he had some pretty big misses in the 2020 draft and made some free agency signing mistakes. He believes in building from the draft and Saleh doesn’t really believe in big splashy free agent signings that hamper the cap either. They will sink or swim with that mentality, but it had worked for other organizations. It just takes time. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I was dead wrong about Adam Gase.

We know SAR.

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It is entirely possible that everyone else is wrong about Joe Douglas.

SAR I

I'd be cautious using "everyone". 

Not "everyone" thinks JD is doing a great or special job.  

As with you and Gase, there are a few extreme fans here loudly praising JD.  

But many of remain in the "wait and see, need to see some tangible results" place when it comes to JD.

There is good cause to question his player-personnel decisions to-date, it's been far from an unmitigated or universal success as yet. 

I'd say most of us are holding judgement on JD till after this 2021 season.  If we, or Saleh, or Wilson, suck......JD will be under heat here.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Larz said:

What’s the over on Robby Anderson week 1?  

300 ?

99B5D390-6020-4E37-9DE5-B2A3A05B0A85.gif

He never even reached 115 in a game last season, and only had 3 100 yard games. So, I’m thinking the over under will be about 85, maybe lower since Darnold, and not Bridgewater, is his QB. Check their history together. The rarely exceeded 85 yards.

• Upvote 1

On 9/2/2021 at 6:19 PM, Sonny Werblin said:

He never even reached 115 in a game last season, and only had 3 100 yard games. So, I’m thinking the over under will be about 85, maybe lower since Darnold, and not Bridgewater, is his QB. Check their history together. The rarely exceeded 85 yards.

Plus Saleh will blitz the sh*t out of Darnold. Unless he’s a different QB he’s going to panic and throw the ball anywhere.

5 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Plus Saleh will blitz the sh*t out of Darnold. Unless he’s a different QB he’s going to panic and throw the ball anywhere.

Actually when sam panics, he scrambles and either throws the ball just before he runs out of bound or he runs out of bounds without ever throwing the ball.

On 9/2/2021 at 11:23 AM, SAR I said:

John Lynch turned the 49ers from doormats into a Super Bowl team in the same 2 offseasons that Joe Douglas has had.

And once again the SAR I crazy math is at work

Lynch was hired prior to the 2017 off season.  That would mean 2017, 2018 and 2019 before making the SB at the end of the 2019 season 

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

1 + 1 = 3

SAR I

2019 - Jets hire Joe Douglas to be their GM on June 7, 2019.  No draft or signings at the start of free agency, but Joe Douglas made roster moves before the season, i.e., Joe Douglas rearranged the deck chairs on the Titanic that was the Jets after years of poor roster management by Mike Maccagnan. Jets finish season 7-9.

2020 - Douglas has his first full offseason as GM of the Jets controlling free agency and the draft. Jets finish season 2-14.

2021 - Douglas fires Gase and picks his coach, controls his 2nd Jets free agency and draft. Dumps Darnold and drafted his own franchise quarterback in Zach Wilson. 

It's been about 2 years and 3 months since Joe Douglas signed a contract to be the GM of the Jets, but he's been part of 3 seasons with the Jets. JD has put his indelible handprint on the Jets roster during his 27 months as GM. 

2021 is a huge season for JD. I can't wait.

• Upvote 1

On 9/2/2021 at 9:24 AM, Claymation said:

Outside of the QB position, the 3 most important positions on a football club is LT, CB and an edge rusher.

Last year's draft and UDFA signings, the Jets secured: a starting Left Tackle in Mekhi Becton; a starting CB in Bryce Hall; a starting edge rusher in Bryce Huff; and starting nickel CB in Javelin Guidry.

The jury is still out on Davis, Mims and Perine. But to find 4 rookies who were average to above average in one draft/udfa class is incredible. 

CAREFUL!  There are those here who will suggest we should have had done more.

• Post of the Week 1

On 9/2/2021 at 10:02 AM, SAR I said:

Let's try this again.

Joe Douglas was hired right after the 2019 draft.  He didn't sit around doing nothing.  He signed Karre Vedvik and others who lost 3 games costing us an unexpected playoff berth on their own.  Add to that the expensive waste of time Ryan Kalil.  Add to that his stalemate that cost us Kelece Osemele.  Add to that the trading away of Leonard Williams who became a NY Giants Pro Bowler.

Douglas did more damage in 2019 than Maccagnan did.  Of course it "counts". 

This ridiculous notion that Douglas is part of the Year 1 Reset of Saleh, LaFleur, and Wilson is laughable.  He's in Year 3.  It's time we see some results.

SAR I  

Wow....Kare Vedvik played in one game and was cut.  

The rest, I can't even......