Keys To The Season ...

KRL

12 minutes ago, KRL said:

And other observations:

- Offensively everything will revolve around the run game / run scheme.  And from
actual game play (even though it was only pre-season) initial impressions are
very positive.  The scheme has been creative, displayed a variety of elements and
has been very productive.  Add in the fact that the starting OLine hasn't had Vera-
Tucker at LG and there's reason to be excited for what they can accomplish.  Play
action passing becomes a simple game of "pitch & catch" for a rookie QB when the
running game is getting 4+ yards a carry

- I believe the "Jet sweep" element of the running game had an impact on the back
end of the WR corps.  Vyncint Smith was impressive in the pre-season but he's a 
"long strider" and that running style really doesn't fit the "Jet sweep".  That's
why I believe Jeff Smith & Braxton Berrios beat him out.  Effective runners of
the "Jet sweep" have to be quick & sudden, so expect to see Moore, Crowder, Smith
and Berrios being used in that role

- With Carl Lawson going down the pass rush will rest on the shoulders of Williams
and Rankins.  Just like we didn't see the OLine together as a unit we didn't see
Williams & Rankins together attacking the middle of OLines.  If they remain healthy
and maximize their skills its not crazy to see 15+ sacks and 30+ TFLs from the duo.
If Williams & Rankins are creating havoc for the center and two guards that will 
isolate the DE's (Franklin-Myers, Lawson, Huff & Ward) 1 on 1 with the OT's.  Can
those four win those 1 on 1's and generate 20+ sacks between them?

- The back seven of the defense will be a "nursery" this year with all the youth
that will be playing.  With that being the case Mosley, Maye and Joyner are going 
to be huge because they are the only experienced back end defenders.  I still have
scars from the "LeVeon Bell layoff" and I'm skeptical if Mosley can regain his skills.
But now with the construction of the roster we have to see a faster 2018 version of
Mosley for this defense to be effective.  He has to be the "on field DC" and able
to cover sideline to sideline.  While Maye and Joyner will have to be "perfect" in
their coverage assignments as they provide "security blankets" for our "baby CB's"

On Moseley at least historically LBs hold up longer than RBs do but I share your concern. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, KRL said:

And other observations:

- Offensively everything will revolve around the run game / run scheme.  And from
very positive.  The scheme has been creative, displayed a variety of elements and
has been very productive.  Add in the fact that the starting OLine hasn't had Vera-
Tucker at LG and there's reason to be excited for what they can accomplish.  Play
action passing becomes a simple game of "pitch & catch" for a rookie QB when the

- I believe the "Jet sweep" element of the running game had an impact on the back
"long strider" and that running style really doesn't fit the "Jet sweep".  That's
the "Jet sweep" have to be quick & sudden, so expect to see Moore, Crowder, Smith

- With Carl Lawson going down the pass rush will rest on the shoulders of Williams
and Rankins.  Just like we didn't see the OLine together as a unit we didn't see
Williams & Rankins together attacking the middle of OLines.  If they remain healthy
and maximize their skills its not crazy to see 15+ sacks and 30+ TFLs from the duo.
If Williams & Rankins are creating havoc for the center and two guards that will 
isolate the DE's (Franklin-Myers, Lawson, Huff & Ward) 1 on 1 with the OT's.  Can

- The back seven of the defense will be a "nursery" this year with all the youth
that will be playing.  With that being the case Mosley, Maye and Joyner are going 
to be huge because they are the only experienced back end defenders.  I still have
scars from the "LeVeon Bell layoff" and I'm skeptical if Mosley can regain his skills.
But now with the construction of the roster we have to see a faster 2018 version of
Mosley for this defense to be effective.  He has to be the "on field DC" and able
to cover sideline to sideline.  While Maye and Joyner will have to be "perfect" in
their coverage assignments as they provide "security blankets" for our "baby CB's"

Just saw an article called, In the NFL the best ability is availability.  I immediately thought of CJ.  Hope he stays healthy and plays.

• Upvote 1

This season will be competitive,  but don't expect much more than 6 in the Wins column.

I don't CARE about the Defense this year. The only real "Keys" to this season are keeping Wilson upright and developing the Offense. The Jets have been an imbalanced team since 2009...in the wrong way: Average to good on D, absolute TRASH on Offense. 

The only way to ve competitive moving forward is with an above average Offense paired with a good Defense. Let the Defense take their lumps this year, as long as the Offense sets a foundation.

I think JD and more importantly,  Saleh, get this. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, KRL said:

And other observations:

I think a LB out for two years is a bit different than a RB with a ton of miles on him.  

• Upvote 2

There is so much to be interested in with this team this year it is great.  I am finding the entertainment value from this team and group to be light years ahead of where it's been with previous regimes.  Like previous years my expectation was not to win the super bowl, we didn't have the team for that.  But I was always hoping to see development, progress towards that goal, young/exciting players with upside seeing the field.  A team I can grow with and develop a familiarity with.  We haven't had that.  We've brought in retreads that didn't perform and saw the field a lot.  Development was haphazard at best, non-existent at worst.

I can't wait for the games and to watch this young team play and grow...and to root hard for.

In the past couple years Sunday's were brutal because the people running the show were bizarre and terrible and the players old.  

1 minute ago, WowOhWow said:

There is so much to be interested in with this team this year it is great.  I am finding the entertainment value from this team and group to be light years ahead of where it's been with previous regimes.  Like previous years my expectation was not to win the super bowl, we didn't have the team for that.  But I was always hoping to see development, progress towards that goal, young/exciting players with upside seeing the field.  A team I can grow with and develop a familiarity with.  We haven't had that.  We've brought in retreads that didn't perform and saw the field a lot.  Development was haphazard at best, non-existent at worst.

I can't wait for the games and to watch this young team play and grow...and to root hard for.

In the past couple years Sunday's were brutal because the people running the show were bizarre and terrible and the players old.  

We don't know what we have in the coach or QB.  Might be more of the same.

4 hours ago, KRL said:

Excellent point. SF uses this as an effective weapon whether they run the sweep or not. It makes defense move around & can create confusion and coverage breakdowns.  Gase hardly ever used sweeps or screens out of base offense..... and he wondered why his offense sucked! 2.8 yds into the line and a cloud of dust.

New offense based on angles, speed and misdirection. Keep the "D" guessing.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

NY Jets

Keys to the Jets season and other observations from KRL.

– Offensively everything will revolve around the run game / run scheme.  And from actual game play (even though it was only pre-season) initial impressions are very positive.  The scheme has been creative, displayed a variety of elements and has been very productive.  Add in the fact that the starting OLine hasn’t had Vera-Tucker at LG and there’s reason to be excited for what they can accomplish.  Play action passing becomes a simple game of “pitch & catch” for a rookie QB when the running game is getting 4+ yards a carry.

– I believe the “Jet sweep” element of the running game had an impact on the back end of the WR corps.  Vyncint Smith was impressive in the pre-season but he’s a “long strider” and that running style really doesn’t fit the “Jet sweep”.  That’s why I believe Jeff Smith & Braxton Berrios beat him out.  Effective runners of the “Jet sweep” have to be quick & sudden, so expect to see Moore, Crowder, Smith and Berrios being used in that role.

– With Carl Lawson going down the pass rush will rest on the shoulders of Williams and Rankins.  Just like we didn’t see the OLine together as a unit we didn’t see Williams & Rankins together attacking the middle of OLines.  If they remain healthy and maximize their skills its not crazy to see 15+ sacks and 30+ TFLs from the duo. If Williams & Rankins are creating havoc for the center and two guards that will isolate the DE’s (Franklin-Myers, Lawson, Huff & Ward) 1 on 1 with the OT’s.  Can those four win those 1 on 1’s and generate 20+ sacks between them?

– The back seven of the defense will be a “nursery” this year with all the youth that will be playing.  With that being the case Mosley, Maye and Joyner are going to be huge because they are the only experienced back end defenders.  I still have scars from the “LeVeon Bell layoff” and I’m skeptical if Mosley can regain his skills. But now with the construction of the roster we have to see a faster 2018 version of Mosley for this defense to be effective.  He has to be the “on field DC” and able to cover sideline to sideline.  While Maye and Joyner will have to be “perfect” in their coverage assignments as they provide “security blankets” for our “baby CB’s”.

Be sure to stop by our forums and tell us what you think about the NY Jets Roster and what you think are the keys to the season.

The post Keys to the Jets Season – KRL appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/z63bHEnQSRw

Click here to read the full story...

Nice write up. I agree, the running game will be a huge indicator of how well the season goes. It’ll all come down to the effectiveness of the OL.

On defense, it’s all about the pressure up front.

Things I want to see and will judge:

1) Has Joe Douglas built a team that allows a young QB to grow and be successful? This has been a big focus of his and the offense is where most his premium resources have gone. 

2) Can Robert Saleh coach up the DBs/LBs? Joe Douglas gave him volume (3rd day picks. If he can coach these guys up, than that’s a HR. Otherwise, we probably need to use more premium picks for those positions. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, KRL said:

And other observations:

Spot on. Really it depends on Zach. If he plays like he has in preseason I think we can compete.

• Upvote 1

I think its the coaching that could make the biggest difference. I dont think we realize how bad Gase was at basically everything a coach is supposed to be good at - especially offensive schemes and game plans. Its possible that a lot of our players are much better than they showed last season and our talent is close to everyone in our division except with a lousy head coach our players were not put in positions to succeed. We will see.

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, KRL said:

And other observations:

Moseley's play will tell us a lot about this year.  He is one of the defensive keys.  This is a great write-up as I always expect from you.

mostly agree with the beginning of the thread.  the jets run game will be more key than people may want to admit.  sure it's nice to have a cardiac pass attack but the run game can seal wins and keep the defense off the field.  i think the jets oline talent matches any other team in the afce.  the big issue is that the bills line has played together longer.  the doltfins and patsie lines aren't as good talent wise as the jets.

On 9/2/2021 at 10:26 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

This season will be competitive,  but don't expect much more than 6 in the Wins column.

I don't CARE about the Defense this year. The only real "Keys" to this season are keeping Wilson upright and developing the Offense. The Jets have been an imbalanced team since 2009...in the wrong way: Average to good on D, absolute TRASH on Offense. 

The only way to ve competitive moving forward is with an above average Offense paired with a good Defense. Let the Defense take their lumps this year, as long as the Offense sets a foundation.

I think JD and more importantly,  Saleh, get this. 

Totally agree on your takes about the offense.  But Saleh is a defensive mastermind. I’d be highly disappointed if we don’t keep opposing defenses to 30-40 points per game.

Only two things matter to me this year - The performance of the QB and the performance of the coach.

If Zach looks like the real deal, doesn't make bad mistakes, moves the offense and essentially passes the "eyeball test" (regardless of wins/losses and stats) then this will have been a good year for the Jets organization.  If Saleh proves to be the leader and culture builder we think he can be, if the Jets are competing in all these games and not making lots of mental errors, not committing penalties, etc. then I think we're in a really, really good place.

To become a consistent playoff team and compete for Super Bowls every year you need to have a great HC and QB combo.  Brady/Belichick, Mahomes/Reid, even Brady with Arians last year (Arians has won a SB as coach in Pitt and got to NFC Champ Game as HC with Arizona), etc.

It's all about Saleh and Zach this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1