Wake up! Bless Austin sucked, and we should he happy he's gone thread.

Alka

Just now, Biggs said:

He was cut becaues he sucked.  Very interesting.  

Is there a mystery thread where fans are threatening to fly banners over Metlife because we cut the guy? All I see are Jets fans that were hopeful he would be good and who are now OK with us cutting him for not developing into a good enough player. 

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Is there a mystery thread where fans are threatening to fly banners over Metlife because we cut the guy? All I see are Jets fans that were hopeful he would be good and who are now OK with us cutting him for not developing into a good enough player. 

I think the confusion / surprise has come from him getting lots of reps with the #1 unit and ending up getting cut ... there weren't any signs that he was "on the bubble" throughout camp (see: Mims, Denzel).

Maybe that was part of the plan - throw as many reps as possible at him and see if he can cope / has developed since last year. Clearly he couldn't / hadn't, if this was the case.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There is no JAG, like a Jets JAG.

The is REALLY no JAG like a Jets JAG who went to Rutgers or similar, lol.

Jets Fans fall in love with late-round/UDFA Rutgers guys like they do with few others.

^ Nailed it. 100% spot on.  People on this site fawn over guys from Rutgers, even when they suck (and most of them usually do). 

Reading this site ten years ago, you'd have thought Jamal Westerman was going to be the second coming of Lawrence Taylor. Now it's Bless Austin, the CB whose release is right up there with passing on Dan Marino or taking a safety instead of Patrick Mahomes.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well the question is not if he is lousy in particular it is, is  he lousier than other guys we kept?

He was not that great and also I think a poor scheme fit perhaps?

Here is my view:

Saleh is the Coach.  A new Coach, who we fans have to have some level of trust and faith in, until such time as he proves such trust and faith is misplaced.

He's a Defensive guy, a former D-Co.  He knows Defense.

If he thinks Austin isn't the guy to keep, we have to let Saleh build his team, his way.  No matter what we think, and definitely no matter what the aforementioned Rutgers + Late Round Obsessives think. 

If Austin goes elsewhere and plays lights out, and the guys we keep stay and play like crap, that is 100% a fair criticism of Saleh.

Till then, what choice do we have?  Trust in Saleh to pick the best Saleh-system guys.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

^ Nailed it. 100% spot on.  People on this site fawn over guys from Rutgers, even when they suck (and most of them usually do). 

Reading this site ten years ago, you'd have thought Jamal Westerman was going to be the second coming of Lawrence Taylor. Now it's Bless Austin, the CB whose release is right up there with passing on Dan Marino or taking a safety instead of Patrick Mahomes.

Can someone point me to these posts?  I don't know that I saw a complaint.  Some surprise maybe, but not complaints.  I also don't know that I saw anybody better, but I guess we will see

• Upvote 1

We love our JAGs, but I think the "omg we cut a projected starter" whining is more an issue that we as a fan base aren't too used to young guys starting unless they're drafted in the higher rounds and hyped up since we've never really had any coaches that can teach players and help them get better. Also, we've never really had a coach with the large brass ones needed to play lots of young unheralded players in this market.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There is no JAG, like a Jets JAG.

There is REALLY no JAG like a Jets JAG who went to Rutgers or similar, lol.

Jets Fans fall in love with late-round/UDFA Rutgers guys like they do with few others.

Just mention Hofstra and people get the shivers

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

We love our JAGs, but I think the "omg we cut a projected starter" whining is more an issue that we as a fan base aren't too used to young guys starting unless they're drafted in the higher rounds and hyped up since we've never really had any coaches that can teach players and help them get better. Also, we've never really had a coach with the large brass ones needed to play lots of young unheralded players in this market.

I think a bigger issue is that the guy that they were hyping up, Dunn,  looked fairly terrible in the preseason.  Austin did not look to be the worst CB on roster.  They also carried him an extra day.  Either they were trying to trade him, he was higher on their list than some of the others and they spited him for some reason..  

Will they offer him a practice squad slot?  Speculation:  trying to trade or he was held out of the Packers game for "personal reasons" that can mean nothing or it can mean something.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think a bigger issue is that the guy that they were hyping up, Dunn,  looked fairly terrible in the preseason.  Austin did not look to the the worst CB on roster.  They also carried him an extra day.  Either they were trying to trade him, he was higher on their list than some of the others and they spited him for some reason..  

Will they offer him a practice squad slot?  Speculation:  trying to trade or he was held out of the Packers game for "personal reasons" that can mean nothing or it can mean something.

That's fair, but an UDFA looking bad in his first preseason action should be taken with a grain of salt, at least at first. If he shows growth that's what will matter.  Austin isn't a rookie so if he looked better, but only a little better, than that isn't saying much in his favor.

They replaced a known bad player, with an unknown player.

Are the unknown players bad? Probably, but you may as well see what you have in them. There's a chance one of them could work out, they brought in like 6 of them.

Its not like they released a good player

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think a bigger issue is that the guy that they were hyping up, Dunn,  looked fairly terrible in the preseason.  Austin did not look to the the worst CB on roster.  They also carried him an extra day.  Either they were trying to trade him, he was higher on their list than some of the others and they spited him for some reason..  

Not that I think Dunn will start or play significant time unless there is an injury, Dunn is far from a finished player. You can say that for every DB with the exception of Maye and Joyner. Bless isn't getting significantly better. Bless's ceiling is a bad cornerback & poor tackler, that's why they moved on. Guidry, Hall, Echols, Dunn, Pinnock & Carter's floor is Bless right now. Hall was average last year, Guidry was above average, both of them could still develop into better CBs. We have no idea what the other 4 are going to end up, but the worst case scenario is that they end up being Bless talent wise. And that would fall on the coaching staff on not properly developing them. 

• Upvote 2