Jump to content

Wake up! Bless Austin sucked, and we should he happy he's gone thread.


Recommended Posts

Just now, Biggs said:

He was cut becaues he sucked.  Very interesting.  

Is there a mystery thread where fans are threatening to fly banners over Metlife because we cut the guy? All I see are Jets fans that were hopeful he would be good and who are now OK with us cutting him for not developing into a good enough player. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Is there a mystery thread where fans are threatening to fly banners over Metlife because we cut the guy? All I see are Jets fans that were hopeful he would be good and who are now OK with us cutting him for not developing into a good enough player. 

I think the confusion / surprise has come from him getting lots of reps with the #1 unit and ending up getting cut ... there weren't any signs that he was "on the bubble" throughout camp (see: Mims, Denzel).

Maybe that was part of the plan - throw as many reps as possible at him and see if he can cope / has developed since last year. Clearly he couldn't / hadn't, if this was the case.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Who are the people upset about Austin departing?

The only thing I've seen is general concern that somebody who seemed to be a starting CB is suddenly gone two weeks before the start of the season without a replacement who seems much better. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

2008-2010 were the seasons to care about bottom of the roster guys. We're rebuilding, and I think we shouldn't worry too much about keeping JAGs. Especially ones that won't even be on the team when we finally ARE competitive.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, jgb said:

But we love our JAGs

There is no JAG, like a Jets JAG.

There is REALLY no JAG like a Jets JAG who went to Rutgers or similar, lol.

Jets Fans fall in love with late-round/UDFA Rutgers guys like they do with few others.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We do like matching names.  Two corners named Bryce would surely fit our M.O.

We would have three Bryces.  Are there actually any more in the league?

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There is no JAG, like a Jets JAG.

The is REALLY no JAG like a Jets JAG who went to Rutgers or similar, lol.

Jets Fans fall in love with late-round/UDFA Rutgers guys like they do with few others.

^ Nailed it. 100% spot on.  People on this site fawn over guys from Rutgers, even when they suck (and most of them usually do). 

Reading this site ten years ago, you'd have thought Jamal Westerman was going to be the second coming of Lawrence Taylor. Now it's Bless Austin, the CB whose release is right up there with passing on Dan Marino or taking a safety instead of Patrick Mahomes.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

^ Nailed it. 100% spot on.  People on this site fawn over guys from Rutgers, even when they suck (and most of them usually do). 

Reading this site ten years ago, you'd have thought Jamal Westerman was going to be the second coming of Lawrence Taylor. Now it's Bless Austin, the CB whose release is right up there with passing on Dan Marino or taking a safety instead of Patrick Mahomes.

Can someone point me to these posts?  I don't know that I saw a complaint.  Some surprise maybe, but not complaints.  I also don't know that I saw anybody better, but I guess we will see

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

L:oved me some Ray Lucas. Yes, not an NFL great by any stretch. I loved it when he got a personal foul for blasting a defender who had intercepted one of his passes out running of bounce. Was an OK analyst for SNY, wished he was still there.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We love our JAGs, but I think the "omg we cut a projected starter" whining is more an issue that we as a fan base aren't too used to young guys starting unless they're drafted in the higher rounds and hyped up since we've never really had any coaches that can teach players and help them get better. Also, we've never really had a coach with the large brass ones needed to play lots of young unheralded players in this market.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There is no JAG, like a Jets JAG.

There is REALLY no JAG like a Jets JAG who went to Rutgers or similar, lol.

Jets Fans fall in love with late-round/UDFA Rutgers guys like they do with few others.

Just mention Hofstra and people get the shivers

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

We love our JAGs, but I think the "omg we cut a projected starter" whining is more an issue that we as a fan base aren't too used to young guys starting unless they're drafted in the higher rounds and hyped up since we've never really had any coaches that can teach players and help them get better. Also, we've never really had a coach with the large brass ones needed to play lots of young unheralded players in this market.

I think a bigger issue is that the guy that they were hyping up, Dunn,  looked fairly terrible in the preseason.  Austin did not look to be the worst CB on roster.  They also carried him an extra day.  Either they were trying to trade him, he was higher on their list than some of the others and they spited him for some reason..  

Will they offer him a practice squad slot?  Speculation:  trying to trade or he was held out of the Packers game for "personal reasons" that can mean nothing or it can mean something.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think a bigger issue is that the guy that they were hyping up, Dunn,  looked fairly terrible in the preseason.  Austin did not look to the the worst CB on roster.  They also carried him an extra day.  Either they were trying to trade him, he was higher on their list than some of the others and they spited him for some reason..  

Will they offer him a practice squad slot?  Speculation:  trying to trade or he was held out of the Packers game for "personal reasons" that can mean nothing or it can mean something.

That's fair, but an UDFA looking bad in his first preseason action should be taken with a grain of salt, at least at first. If he shows growth that's what will matter.  Austin isn't a rookie so if he looked better, but only a little better, than that isn't saying much in his favor.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They replaced a known bad player, with an unknown player.

Are the unknown players bad? Probably, but you may as well see what you have in them. There's a chance one of them could work out, they brought in like 6 of them.

Its not like they released a good player

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think a bigger issue is that the guy that they were hyping up, Dunn,  looked fairly terrible in the preseason.  Austin did not look to the the worst CB on roster.  They also carried him an extra day.  Either they were trying to trade him, he was higher on their list than some of the others and they spited him for some reason..  

Will they offer him a practice squad slot?  Speculation:  trying to trade or he was held out of the Packers game for "personal reasons" that can mean nothing or it can mean something.

Not that I think Dunn will start or play significant time unless there is an injury, Dunn is far from a finished player. You can say that for every DB with the exception of Maye and Joyner. Bless isn't getting significantly better. Bless's ceiling is a bad cornerback & poor tackler, that's why they moved on. Guidry, Hall, Echols, Dunn, Pinnock & Carter's floor is Bless right now. Hall was average last year, Guidry was above average, both of them could still develop into better CBs. We have no idea what the other 4 are going to end up, but the worst case scenario is that they end up being Bless talent wise. And that would fall on the coaching staff on not properly developing them. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...