4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

But using up a practice squad spot, for a guy who could be worth a damn if the light went on upstairs? IMO Douglas should be doing this. A prototypical 43DE size, with 4.6 speed and the strength to toss up 225 lbs ~30x, and who is (or at least at one time supposedly was) really quick out of a stance and the power to do something about it when he does (what his 127” broad jump supposedly shows), isn’t that common.

So you're basing his potential value on the fact that he's athletic.  Like Ashtyn Davis.  Like Quinton Coples.  Like Calvin Pryor, Stephen Hill, Devin smith, Ardarius Stewart, Hackenberg, Morgan....Measurables.  Every one of them hung around taking up roster spots due to the simple reason that they were drafted and cutting a draftee too soon would be an embarrassment.  Jachai Polite left them no choice, but they could very well have kept him hanging around stinking up the joint instead of putting a decent body in his place.  There are lots of excuses to keep Zuniga around, "it's just a practice squad spot, no biggy", "he runs fast and bench presses really well, so there's that", "the light could go on for him any time".  This is why fans get pissed at keeping him.  He's bad.  He hasn't a single rush move, can't spin inside, doesn't know how to use his hands and can't catch an edge.  There isn't the slightest thing we can point to over the past two seasons to say he "flashed", or even improved.  As a team with a below average roster, you don't keep a Jabari Zuniga, you upgrade any way, every chance you get.  I guarantee there are better football players on the street that would benefit from development on the PS at OL, TE, LB, S, CB.  Keeping an edge rusher who can't rush the edge is a SOJ move which, in the grand scheme of things may not seem like a huge deal.  But to an oft-burned fanbase it feels like a rock in our shoe.  Get him out.  He's no damned good. 

• Confused 1
  • Like 1
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So now signing a guy to the practice squad is wrong? this was a 3rd round pick last year.  

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Zuniga isn't taking a roster spot. 

A spot on the practice squad for an exceptional athlete that produced in college - to see if you can turn him into a player - is exactly the type of person you want on the practice squad

We know what Austin is - we've seen his upside.  He's not the type of person you want on the practice squad.

Forget Austin.  Cut Zuniga because he's hot garbage and hasn't sniffed a QB pressure in two years.  Usain Bolt can run fast.  That doesn't make him an edge rusher.  

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

So you're basing his potential value on the fact that he's athletic.  Like Ashtyn Davis.  Like Quinton Coples.  Like Calvin Pryor, Stephen Hill, Devin smith, Ardarius Stewart, Hackenberg, Morgan....Measurables.  Every one of them hung around taking up roster spots due to the simple reason that they were drafted and cutting a draftee too soon would be an embarrassment.  Jachai Polite left them no choice, but they could very well have kept him hanging around stinking up the joint instead of putting a decent body in his place.  There are lots of excuses to keep Zuniga around, "it's just a practice squad spot, no biggy", "he runs fast and bench presses really well, so there's that", "the light could go on for him any time".  This is why fans get pissed at keeping him.  He's bad.  He hasn't a single rush move, can't spin inside, doesn't know how to use his hands and can't catch an edge.  There isn't the slightest thing we can point to over the past two seasons to say he "flashed", or even improved.  As a team with a below average roster, you don't keep a Jabari Zuniga, you upgrade any way, every chance you get.  I guarantee there are better football players on the street that would benefit from development on the PS at OL, TE, LB, S, CB.  Keeping an edge rusher who can't rush the edge is a SOJ move which, in the grand scheme of things may not seem like a huge deal.  But to an oft-burned fanbase it feels like a rock in our shoe.  Get him out.  He's no damned good. 

That's a long paragraph, man.  I guess we should save those roster spots for guys without measurables?  I get that Zuniga has been bad.  He probably will continue to be bad.  That being said, the guy had sacks in the SEC.  It's way easier to teach a guy pass rush moves than to teach him to be big and fast.

5 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Forget Austin.  Cut Zuniga because he's hot garbage and hasn't sniffed a QB pressure in two years.  Usain Bolt can run fast.  That doesn't make him an edge rusher.  

He WAS cut! He's on the F-ing practice squad.

How could you possibly know his potential?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

That's a long paragraph, man.  I guess we should save those roster spots for guys without measurables?  I get that Zuniga has been bad.  He probably will continue to be bad.  That being said, the guy had sacks in the SEC.  It's way easier to teach a guy pass rush moves than to teach him to be big and fast.

Besides can’t they always cut him and put someone else on the ps?  No big deal.

• Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

YARN | Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. | Draft Day (2014) | Video gifs  by quotes | 8df160f5 | 紗

Vernon Gholston says hi.

Vernon Gholston OSU 16-1 16x20 Autographed Photo - Certified Authentic

Our American Network - Tony Mandarich Was NFL's Biggest Bust, Then He  Rebuilt His Life

Tim Tebow laughs off attention from shirtless run through rain - nj.com

• Confused 1
2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Pretty tired argument.  For every guy like that there are 10,000 that are just too small or too slow. 

Arguments only get tired when they're proved valid and used often.  I'll start: Zuniga, Coples, Devin Smith, Ashtyn Davis, Ardarius Stewart, Stephen Hill, Jace Amaro, Darren Lee.  All in the first three rounds.  all outstanding combines.  all sucked.  The only difference between these players and Zuniga?  They actually contributed something to the team.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Arguments only get tired when they're proved valid and used often.  I'll start: Zuniga, Coples, Devin Smith, Ashtyn Davis, Ardarius Stewart, Stephen Hill, Jace Amaro, Darren Lee.  All in the first three rounds.  all outstanding combines.  all sucked.  The only difference between these players and Zuniga?  They actually contributed something to the team.

What exactly was outstanding about Ardarius Stewarts combine?  Short, not particularly long and moderately in the sprints and jumps.  Yes, workout warrior all the way!  Darren Lee?  Tiny.  Jace Amaro?  Tiny hands and the LITERAL poster boy for drafting production.  Not only is your argument tired, your examples are poor.  Coples?  Meh.  His combine showed him as a 4-3 DE, but they loved how he looked in drills.  How about all the players with poor combines?  Jachai Polite anybody? 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Get off my lawn!

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Who's frustrated?  And my comment was not about the practice squad.  It was about a certain segment of JN folk who have been talking up/fawning over Zuniga for a couple years now.  

As I said, he's just one of a bunch of similar JAG players who, historically, somehow catch the eye and imagination of some, who believe they are the next big thing.  Unfortunately, most are not.

Frustrated, I says. ;) 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

I'm basing it on his alleged upside as a prospect, in comparison to ones that were lesser prospects. 

Ultimately I expect nothing from anyone who didn't make the 53-man roster on such a raw team. He's as good a gamble as most disposable UDFAs is all, and nothing for people to get worked up over. 

It's a practice squad ffs. The personnel on it changes pretty much every week. It's of little concern. 

• Upvote 2
23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm basing it on his alleged upside as a prospect, in comparison to ones that were lesser prospects. 

Ultimately I expect nothing from anyone who didn't make the 53-man roster on such a raw team. He's as good a gamble as most disposable UDFAs is all, and nothing for people to get worked up over. 

It's a practice squad ffs. The personnel on it changes pretty much every week. It's of little concern. 

seriously after week 1 there could be an injury and they need a body at a different position and zuninga is gone.  

Just now, Augustiniak said:

seriously after week 1 there could be an injury and they need a body at a different position and zuninga is gone.  

Or they just dump him to add whatever castoff was available for an upcoming opponent. It's not like that doesn't happen all the time.

Or maybe the light goes on. Not that I'm expecting it, but if it does the reward will be greater with him than someone else's bulb. At least in theory.

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Yes, in particular with the pickup of Ward, they may want Zuniga for a couple of weeks while Ward learns the D.  Once he is up to speed Zuniga may be even more expendable.  The current rules that allow them to call up a few guys from the practice squad each week to play in the game.  That might mean it makes more sense to carry a guy that knows the D and special teams while a waiver pick up learns the ropes.  

6 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

So Bless Austin isn't worth a roster spot, but Jabari Zuniga, who plays like he has no arms, is worth developing.  Huh.  Ok. 

Id bet anything that developing a Zuniga is a hell of a lot easier than developing a CB.  Getting burned for TDs as he goes along trying to figure it out

Id bet it's also a defensive scheme mis match for Bless.  Not that he was worth a damn in man coverage

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

He only has been in the NFL one year.

People really have a hard time with this kind of math?  

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, xJayce said:

image.png.7493a5716bc24f46edc2d47e840e2924.png

Here was the draft grade from Walterfootball when he was taken.

It seems like GM 101 that you take players chances on players with high RAS even if they were injury prone and/or not productive in college.  

That seems like it could make sense....but do we have any examples of that working out?

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

It seems like GM 101 that you take players chances on players with high RAS even if they were injury prone and/or not productive in college.  

That seems like it could make sense....but do we have any examples of that working out?

First person that comes to mind is Darren Waller, but I'm sure there are plenty more.  

3 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Are people really arguing about giving a 2nd year edge rusher who was a 3rd round pick a chance on a 16 man practice squad? Seriously?

And the Jets still have 2 open PS spots. 

2 hours ago, Offense Wins Championships said:

Jabari Zuniga only played 9% of our Defensive snaps as a Rookie last year.

Just not enough film on him for me to properly evaluate. 

Maybe he just stinks or maybe he just needs an opportunity?

I guess only time will tell. 

Probably performs poorly in practice and/or looks lost on the field.  It happens, unfortunately.

8 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

• Haha 3
On 9/3/2021 at 9:18 AM, FidelioJet said:

It's the Practice Squad!

You have no idea what they think of him as potential.  None of us do, but to question the Jets signing a 3rd round draft pick, from a year ago, to the practice squad is really just looking for a reason to complain.

BS. Zuniga has shown NOTHING so far. Absolutely nothing. That's called an OBJECTIVE take on the kid. You don't like it? You can piss off or get over it. Either way it's still true. Jabari Zuniga showed a very little more than Jachai Polite in 2019. The only reason for that is because Zuniga was actually still on the team. Anyway you cut it, Zuniga has been a total disappointment of a 3rd rounder. He was WAY over drafted. Joe Douglas should cut bait with the guy, so he can train a guy with real potential.

56 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

BS. Zuniga has shown NOTHING so far. Absolutely nothing. That's called an OBJECTIVE take on the kid. You don't like it? You can piss off or get over it. Either way it's still true. Jabari Zuniga showed a very little more than Jachai Polite in 2019. The only reason for that is because Zuniga was actually still on the team. Anyway you cut it, Zuniga has been a total disappointment of a 3rd rounder. He was WAY over drafted. Joe Douglas should cut bait with the guy, so he can train a guy with real potential.

And you know the other 15 guys on the PS are better?

or the 17th guy that didn’t join the ps?

• Upvote 1
On 9/2/2021 at 9:29 PM, RoadFan said:

The downside is nobody else thought he is worth a roster spot either.

How would you know that? He might’ve had other offers and just decided to stay where he’s at.

I repeat.

No.  More. Florida. Gators.

(and my brother is a season tix holder at The Swamp.)

With the almost certain exception of Kyle Pitts, they often make lousy NFL players for whatever reason.   I do believe in Evan McPherson too though.

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I repeat.

No.  More. Florida. Gators.

(and my brother is a season tix holder at The Swamp.)

With the almost certain exception of Kyle Pitts, they often make lousy NFL players for whatever reason.   I do believe in Evan McPherson too though.

91OElZyEDuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg