We should have picked up Ben Mason & Jacob Hollister

hmhertz

8 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

I was wondering why we didn’t pursue them as well.  

I’m surprised they haven’t picked up a Tight end also. Perhaps their looking for more blocking Tight ends? This pans out on who they retained and who they cut. 

Wesco has stone hands, Brown and Griffin are also terrible, and Kroft is the only real Tight end we have on the roster.

• Upvote 1

Hollister is a 4 year vet not subject to waivers so he was free to sign with whoever he wanted. 

Mason was drafted in the 5th round this year by the “great” combination of Decosta and Newsome, who didn’t see enough to put him on their practice squad….so I don’t think we will really miss him.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I’m surprised they haven’t picked up a Tight end also. Perhaps their looking for more blocking Tight ends? This pans out on who they retained and who they cut. 

Wesco has stone hands, Brown and Griffin are also terrible, and Kroft is the only real Tight end we have on the roster.

Mason doubles as a blocking TE

• Upvote 1

Many of us want the Jets to pick up Ben Mason because we wanted the Jets to draft him.  When the Ravens took him - like many on this board - I said that is great.  I will claim either Ben Mason or the veteran Patrick Ricard on final cuts.  IMO - next to the 49er FB (J#@$*^&), Ricard is the best in the game..

Mason got beat out by the 2d best in the game and he was the consensus top FB in the draft.  I would bring him in for a look see.  But there is no rush.  He is a fullback and they are always available.  It is my hope that the coaches think they can work with Wesco. and that he has a real future  All I can say is what an indictment of the previous coaching staff that would be.  

As for Hollister, he evidently choose to join a better team.  Since the only worse team is the Jags, we had a lot of competition.  I would have brought him in for a look too.  I will be bringing lots of guys in for looks.  Lets keep churning. 

Teams will keeping making roster moves for the next three weeks.  We have #2 priority.  Let's go nuts and try everybody we can.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Many of us want the Jets to pick up Ben Mason because we wanted the Jets to draft him.  When the Ravens took him - like many on this board - I said that is great.  I will claim either Ben Mason or the veteran Patrick Ricard on final cuts.  IMO - next to the 49er FB (J#@$*^&), Ricard is the best in the game..

Mason got beat out by the 2d best in the game and he was the consensus top FB in the draft.  I would bring him in for a look see.  But there is no rush.  He is a fullback and they are always available.  It is my hope that the coaches think they can work with Wesco. and that he has a real future  All I can say is what an indictment of the previous coaching staff that would be.  

As for Hollister, he evidently choose to join a better team.  Since the only worse team is the Jags, we had a lot of competition.  I would have brought him in for a look too.  I will be bringing lots of guys in for looks.  Lets keep churning. 

Teams will keeping making roster moves for the next three weeks.  We have #2 priority.  Let's go nuts and try everybody we can.

The previous coaching staff has more indictments than the Gotti crime family.  What's one more between friends ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jamax9999 said:

I agree on Both, unless Ertz is in the mix.  

I still believe Ertz gets traded before deadline. $12 mil against cap and only $8.5 mil in savings post June 1 trade. FA next year. Roseman probably asking too much. Every game trade value diminishes. I’d offer a 2023 5th which is more like a 6th with Eagles throwing in a 7th in the deal. We need more talent at TE.

6 minutes ago, vic said:

I find it hard to believe that after all roster cuts we couldn’t find better options at tight end than the uninspiring group we have right now.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

Right now I see the Jets in "sort the trash mode" as we decide whether to pick players up on waivers while we have #2 priority. 

Once  that priority evaporates after week three, we will begin to sort the cut pile.  We will start to do so with enthusiasm if our chosen three fail to get the job done.  I think we probably can find better guys.  During the season we will bring in loads of guys from the cut pile and see if they are better trainees than Yeboah.  In college, Zack was addicted to his tight ends as a safety valve.  Yes, his tape shows that his focus is downfield.   I am not ripping Zack.  He  is a downfield thrower.  But his dumpoffs went to the tight end more often than not.  Our tight ends are going to be thrown the ball from the inline position all season.  They need to hold their own blocking and catch the darts when Zack throws them.   Or the Jets will find somebody who will.

Then there is the other problem.  Our starter - Tyler Kroft - is frequently injured.  He has missed 25 of his last 48 games.  He managed only seven games last season.  He has not been healthy since 2017.   It may not be realistic to expect a full season out of him.

What am I saying? 

Our backups are going to play.  Yeboah is almost guaranteed to get snaps later this season especially if the Jets like his development.  We are clearly in search and find mode.  The Jets are being cautious.  They made one big decision at tight end.  They will see how things go before they make another big decision. 

One last point.  Many Jet fans - not just you @vic - think very little of Daniel Brown.  He is seen as completely disposable by many Jet fans.  But he really is a rugged special teamer and every team needs them.  I will also point out that last season, we ended up playing him a LOT in the regular offense.  Especially when it became clear the NFL no longer respected the Jet offensive line and were playing eight and nine man fronts.  Gase countered with two tight ends and one of them was Brown.  He is a competent run blocker and - at times - distinguished himself. 

Is that enough?  No.  It's not.  The trick is to find young college guys who can develop the blocking strength, weight and skill.  If they can catch the ball, then that is great.  But if they cannot block,  they had better have speed to split the seam or they are a cut.  Guys who can split the seam and weigh 260+ are 1st round picks.  It is hard to judge college tight ends in the draft.    They lack the strength to block inline and must develop without losing elusiveness.  It  is why so many starters are late round picks.   It is also why draft picks - even high ones - get beaten out for spots by unheralded players who developed.  The Patriots burned two third round picks on banjo blocking tight ends last season.  Neither had much chance of being the answer so Voldermort signed the top two FAs on the market.  Both got hurt too.  Heh.  Tight ends can be really frustrating.  

We Jet fans have been wandering in the tight end wilderness since Jerome Barkum and Mickey Shuler.  We're due. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I still believe Ertz gets traded before deadline. $12 mil against cap and only $8.5 mil in savings post June 1 trade. FA next year. Roseman probably asking too much. Every game trade value diminishes. I’d offer a 2023 5th which is more like a 6th with Eagles throwing in a 7th in the deal. We need more talent at TE.

I agree with you 100%. Coaches will give TE on roster a couple of games to show/see what they have. If production is lacking I see a move for Ertz happening. Ertz is the 2nd highest cap hit on team and is behind Goedert. 
I will definitely be watching the TE positional play 8 days from now along with CB and LB.

53 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Right now I see the Jets in "sort the trash mode" as we decide whether to pick players up on waivers while we have #2 priority. 

Once  that priority evaporates after week three, we will begin to sort the cut pile.  We will start to do so with enthusiasm if our chosen three fail to get the job done.  I think we probably can find better guys.  During the season we will bring in loads of guys from the cut pile and see if they are better trainees than Yeboah.  In college, Zack was addicted to his tight ends as a safety valve.  Yes, his tape shows that his focus is downfield.   I am not ripping Zack.  He  is a downfield thrower.  But his dumpoffs went to the tight end more often than not.  Our tight ends are going to be thrown the ball from the inline position all season.  They need to hold their own blocking and catch the darts when Zack throws them.   Or the Jets will find somebody who will.

Then there is the other problem.  Our starter - Tyler Kroft - is frequently injured.  He has missed 25 of his last 48 games.  He managed only seven games last season.  He has not been healthy since 2017.   It may not be realistic to expect a full season out of him.

What am I saying? 

Our backups are going to play.  Yeboah is almost guaranteed to get snaps later this season especially if the Jets like his development.  We are clearly in search and find mode.  The Jets are being cautious.  They made one big decision at tight end.  They will see how things go before they make another big decision. 

One last point.  Many Jet fans - not just you @vic - think very little of Daniel Brown.  He is seen as completely disposable by many Jet fans.  But he really is a rugged special teamer and every team needs them.  I will also point out that last season, we ended up playing him a LOT in the regular offense.  Especially when it became clear the NFL no longer respected the Jet offensive line and were playing eight and nine man fronts.  Gase countered with two tight ends and one of them was Brown.  He is a competent run blocker and - at times - distinguished himself. 

Is that enough?  No.  It's not.  The trick is to find young college guys who can develop the blocking strength, weight and skill.  If they can catch the ball, then that is great.  But if they cannot block,  they had better have speed to split the seam or they are a cut.  Guys who can split the seam and weigh 260+ are 1st round picks.  It is hard to judge college tight ends in the draft.    They lack the strength to block inline and must develop without losing elusiveness.  It  is why so many starters are late round picks.   It is also why draft picks - even high ones - get beaten out for spots by unheralded players who developed.  The Patriots burned two third round picks on banjo blocking tight ends last season.  Neither had much chance of being the answer so Voldermort signed the top two FAs on the market.  Both got hurt too.  Heh.  Tight ends can be really frustrating.  

We Jet fans have been wandering in the tight end wilderness since Jerome Barkum and Mickey Shuler.  We're due. 

9 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

We know our TEs can’t catch but can they block? Is Wesco a better blocking FB than Ben Mason?

Im just wondering if we are assuming our TEs can block because they can’t catch or if they actually have been shown to be good blockers. This is where some pff stats might be useful.

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Listen to his press conference from earlier in the week. It does not sound as if he is going anywhere.  If he does, it will be an in season trade for a high pick to a team that is competitive and has a need for a TE because of injury.  Not the Jets.

8 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Shouldn’t Lefleur & Saleh decide who has the better upside? JD drafts and manages cap….. Saleh/Lefleur/Ulbrich provide the shopping list.

No,JD puts together the roster with input from the CS.  Its his ass on the line. No one says the GM picked the wrong players but the CS provided the shopping list

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Parcell’s complained about not buying the right groceries. 

Parcells thought of himself as a god who should wear both crowns of HC and GM.  Also so he could bleed Hess for double the pay.  As it turned out he, along with most HC's who think they're qualified to be dual threats as GM too dont pan out.