Smarter than the average bear

Dcat

Animal control?  "Make a lot of noise with pots and pans until she goes away".  There's your animal control around here.  Actuallly kind of small.  Probably a juvenile or a small almost mature female.   1st time one ever came up on the deck.  We've been using bird feeders now since late spring last year.  Going to take them down for several days now. 

The aftermath:

the end.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Animal control?  "Make a lot of noise with pots and pans until she goes away".  There's your animal control around here.  Actuallly kind of small.  Probably a juvenile or a small almost mature female.   1st time one ever came up on the deck.  We've been using bird feeders now since late spring last year.  Going to take them down for several days now. 

The aftermath:

the end.jpg

It would still be a good idea (if you have not already done it) to let the authorities in your town know of the event.  Might save a neighbor from a problem.  

17 hours ago, munchmemory said:

It would still be a good idea (if you have not already done it) to let the authorities in your town know of the event.  Might save a neighbor from a problem.  

In this town, there are dozens of these every day.  Several years ago, there was a large male hanging out near a few houses here (much larger bear).  Neighbor called animal control and Sparta police.  They came and sat in their cars watching him.  After a few minutres, they honked the horn until he left.  There you have the Sussex County animal control protocol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

In this town, there are dozens of these every day.  Several years ago, there was a large male hanging out near a few houses here (much larger bear).  Neighbor called animal control and Sparta police.  They came and sat in their cars watching him.  After a few minutres, they honked the horn until he left.  There you have the Sussex County animal control protocol.

Probably shared a donut or two with the beast.  Dcat, I had no idea the Sparta area had so many bears.  We get a few in my area of Bergen.  But nothing like you're describing.

• 8 months later...
59 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Dcat, do me a favor and never take an afternoon nap on your deck.  lol   Geez, that's crazy.   

"My deck"?

The picture above clearly displays indisputable ownership of said deck. 

• Haha 4