Biggest Draft Regret

Because by the 6th round you have a handful of players equally ranked and its one hell of a lucky break if you wind up with the winning pick.

Has nothing to with anything more than that.

Also I'll need to see more than a Louis Riddick quote on ESPN or an article in the KNOXVILLE NEWS SENTINEL with a game to play before I totally believe:

"Let me tell you something about Trey Smith," ESPN analyst Louis Riddick said before Friday's game. "This is a sixth-round pick who may wind up being their best offensive lineman. He's going to be fun to watch tonight. He's going to have some highlight-type blocks."

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There were TONS of posts of people that wanted another olineman drafted and Trey Smith was talked up big time by at least one poster on here.

so if 1,000,000 people said the earth was flat...

Strike One, Joe Dougl-@ss!

You're three f*ckups away from a small plane banner!!

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Eh… Trey Smith was not that. He was a  legit prospect way above everyone else. He had health concerns so I understand his drop but the guy was value as soon as the second round ended.

I get that but this came before the last preseason game and all depends on health.   He overcame blood clots in 2017 and thats a solid reason to look elsewhere.  Hopefully he remains healthy.  I just can question anyone for passing on him

I mean some here are blaming JD for taking Lawson because hes had two knees as if on some planet those injuries have anything to do with a achilles injury.  

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I get that but this came before the last preseason game and all depends on health.   He overcame blood clots in 2017 and thats a solid reason to look elsewhere.  Hopefully he remains healthy.  I just can question anyone for passing on him

I mean some here are blaming JD for taking Lawson because hes had two knees as if on some planet those injuries have anything to do with a achilles injury.  

This is a bad thread but I understand the lamentation since he’s a legit talent. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

I am not one of those crazy anti JD "fans" but I simply don't understand why we didn't pull the trigger on this guy on the 6th round.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.knoxnews.com/amp/8220300002

Former Vol Trey Smith could 'wind up being' Kansas City Chiefs' best offensive lineman, ESPN analyst says

NICK GRAY | KNOXVILLE NEWS SENTINEL | 10:24 pm EDT August 20, 2021

Trey Smith may have been a Day 3 pick in the NFL Draft, but he might be a Day 1 starter as a rookie with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Smith, who was drafted in the sixth round of April's draft by the AFC champions, has been the starter at right guard since early in camp. The former Tennessee Vols offensive lineman has started both preseason games for Kansas City, including Friday's matchup at the Arizona Cardinals.

"Let me tell you something about Trey Smith," ESPN analyst Louis Riddick said before Friday's game. "This is a sixth-round pick who may wind up being their best offensive lineman. He's going to be fun to watch tonight. He's going to have some highlight-type blocks."

Smith is not the only rookie on the line protecting Patrick Mahomes, either. Center Creed Humphrey was a second round pick out of Oklahoma, and 2020 third round pick Lucas Niang, out of TCU, is in his first NFL season after opting out of last year's campaign due to COVID-19 concerns and is emerging at right tackle. 

POST NFL DRAFT: Trey Smith vows he is 'completely healthy' to play in NFL. Kansas City Chiefs agreed.

EARLIER THIS SUMMER: Former Tennessee Vols star Trey Smith, now in the NFL, continues to give back to Knoxville.

Improving the offensive line was a main focus for the Chiefs in the offseason following their Super Bowl LV loss to Tampa Bay in February, where Mahomes was pressured 29 times on 52 dropbacks. 

Kansas City traded a first round pick for Pro Bowl tackle Orlando Brown, signed guard Joe Thuney to a five-year deal, added Kyle Long after the former Bears guard spent a year out of the league and re-added Laurent Duvernay-Tardif after he spent last year in Canada working in a long-term medical facility during the first several months of the pandemic.

But despite the competition, Smith was listed as the starter at right guard on the first preseason depth chart and has continued to work there ever since.

Smith fell in this spring's draft into Day 3 (NFL.com had Smith as a third round prospect), almost certainly because of his issues with blood clots in college, which prompted the former Tennessee captain to tweet "Will never forget". 

But Smith has climbed the depth chart, and it'll be hard to ignore his name on the starting lineup in Week 1.

Ourlads loved Trey Smith and gave him a 3d round grade.  Said ourlads: "he is a safe bet to be a starter in the league".  He also has played four positions besides center and - at 6' 5" with 33 3/4 arms and 10 hands - is not too small for tackle.   but they liked him at guard too much to recommend a move.

He fell due to the blood clots in the lungs back in 2018 - not small potatoes fellas, you  can die of that.   Otherwise he was a well known "planet theory" guy who was destined for the NFL back in high school.  There really are only so many of these guys.

The reason I did not recommend him in my draft evaluations is the warning in the draft guide that he is a fit for a man blocking gap scheme and not a zone blocking scheme. 

It looks like he has a chance to be this year's Michael Onwenu who also lasted until the 6th round.  Listed as a guard by Ourlads and given a 3d round grade, he started all 16 games for Voldermort at RT last season.   

Edit:  If I read this correctly, Trey Smith is putting Duvernay-Tardiff and Kyle Long on the bench.  Hey @Ecuadorian Jet, I want him too! 

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Eh… Trey Smith was not that. He was a  legit prospect way above everyone else. He had health concerns so I understand his drop but the guy was value as soon as the second round ended.

Yeah, he’s one of those guys who will be really really good if he doesn’t die mid-season from blood clots. 

27 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

He fell due to the blood clots in the lungs back in 2018 - not small potatoes fellas, you  can die of that.

^This

28 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

he is a fit for a man blocking gap scheme and not a zone blocking scheme. 

And THIS….

28 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

He fell due to the blood clots in the lungs back in 2018

But mainly this^^

27 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Edit:  If I read this correctly, Trey Smith is putting Duvernay-Tardiff and Kyle Long on the bench.  Hey @Ecuadorian Jet, I want him too! 

I mean, I just never thought that a board with tons of Jamal Adams, Darnold, Gase and others threads would be so upset that I wanted to contribute that we could have gotten a starter instead of DT Marshall.

Sincerely, no sarcasm, I will try to do better.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

I am not one of those crazy anti JD "fans" but I simply don't understand why we didn't pull the trigger on this guy on the 6th round.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.knoxnews.com/amp/8220300002

Former Vol Trey Smith could 'wind up being' Kansas City Chiefs' best offensive lineman, ESPN analyst says

NICK GRAY | KNOXVILLE NEWS SENTINEL | 10:24 pm EDT August 20, 2021

Trey Smith may have been a Day 3 pick in the NFL Draft, but he might be a Day 1 starter as a rookie with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Smith, who was drafted in the sixth round of April's draft by the AFC champions, has been the starter at right guard since early in camp. The former Tennessee Vols offensive lineman has started both preseason games for Kansas City, including Friday's matchup at the Arizona Cardinals.

Smith is not the only rookie on the line protecting Patrick Mahomes, either. Center Creed Humphrey was a second round pick out of Oklahoma, and 2020 third round pick Lucas Niang, out of TCU, is in his first NFL season after opting out of last year's campaign due to COVID-19 concerns and is emerging at right tackle. 

POST NFL DRAFT: Trey Smith vows he is 'completely healthy' to play in NFL. Kansas City Chiefs agreed.

EARLIER THIS SUMMER: Former Tennessee Vols star Trey Smith, now in the NFL, continues to give back to Knoxville.

Improving the offensive line was a main focus for the Chiefs in the offseason following their Super Bowl LV loss to Tampa Bay in February, where Mahomes was pressured 29 times on 52 dropbacks. 

Kansas City traded a first round pick for Pro Bowl tackle Orlando Brown, signed guard Joe Thuney to a five-year deal, added Kyle Long after the former Bears guard spent a year out of the league and re-added Laurent Duvernay-Tardif after he spent last year in Canada working in a long-term medical facility during the first several months of the pandemic.

But despite the competition, Smith was listed as the starter at right guard on the first preseason depth chart and has continued to work there ever since.

Smith fell in this spring's draft into Day 3 (NFL.com had Smith as a third round prospect), almost certainly because of his issues with blood clots in college, which prompted the former Tennessee captain to tweet "Will never forget". 

But Smith has climbed the depth chart, and it'll be hard to ignore his name on the starting lineup in Week 1.

my guess is that the team has many holes and OL is something hes been addressing. 2-1strd picks the last 2 years. a bunch of FA signings. probably expected Clark to play. CB he never touched until late in the draft. 

19 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

I mean, I just never thought that a board with tons of Jamal Adams, Darnold, Gase and others threads would be so upset that I wanted to contribute that we could have gotten a starter instead of DT Marshall.

that better be sarcasm.

dont let these guys stop you from posting whatever you want. who cares if some dont aprove. 

thats what a forum is..... we post....we answer.....we wisecrack and make fun....we laugh and have a good time.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

45 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

You can play the silly “what if” game until the end of time with every draft. Yes, please try to do better next time. Thanks. 

Ali Marpet in Rd 2 of 2015 instead of Devin Smith would be a solid do-over.

2006 is such a mess of a draft.  Such low moments.

Anthony Schlegel at #76 when Elvis Dumervil went at #126

Hell, we could have paired Brick with Jahri Evans for 10 to 12 years, but, hey, we got Brad Smith 5 picks earlier and he had some cool Wildcat plays.  Maybe not 4 All-Pro, 6 Pro-Bowl but that punt return with 1 shoe... Wooeee!

• Haha 3