Biggest Draft Regret

Ecuadorian Jet

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If we're playing hindsight, then it would have to be Jamal over Mahomes.  Hands down the single move that would have changed our fortunes - unless you believe that we would have just ruined Mahomes, which is entirely possible.

He’s too good to be ruined.  But of course Macc would have never, ever in a million years made the ballsy selection to take Mahomes there.  And he of course still believed in Hackenberg at the time.  

Fire Macc into the sun repeatedly.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

These threads are unhelpful because it's easy to judge drafts in hindsight which says what, exactly? Brady is first round HOF without question but all teams passed on him at least six rounds. Sometimes you draft poorly guessing what a 21 year old becomes. Honestly most of us as fans would be lousy predictors of what ourselves at 21 would become at 30 or 40. Drafting is a lot of being wrong but needing to be right a few times when it counts. Having a system that can reasonably draft a few good and a few lousy picks is what matters. Idzik and Mac drafted so poorly that they were right almost by chance. Douglas had some clunkers but has he developed a system that works? That is the important question we need to answer. 

I am not one of those crazy anti JD "fans" but I simply don't understand why we didn't pull the trigger on this guy on the 6th round.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.knoxnews.com/amp/8220300002
Former Vol Trey Smith could 'wind up being' Kansas City Chiefs' best offensive lineman, ESPN analyst says
NICK GRAY | KNOXVILLE NEWS SENTINEL | 10:24 pm EDT August 20, 2021

Trey Smith may have been a Day 3 pick in the NFL Draft, but he might be a Day 1 starter as a rookie with the Kansas City Chiefs.
Smith, who was drafted in the sixth round of April's draft by the AFC champions, has been the starter at right guard since early in camp. The former Tennessee Vols offensive lineman has started both preseason games for Kansas City, including Friday's matchup at the Arizona Cardinals.
"Let me tell you something about Trey Smith," ESPN analyst Louis Riddick said before Friday's game. "This is a sixth-round pick who may wind up being their best offensive lineman. He's going to be fun to watch tonight. He's going to have some highlight-type blocks."
Smith is not the only rookie on the line protecting Patrick Mahomes, either. Center Creed Humphrey was a second round pick out of Oklahoma, and 2020 third round pick Lucas Niang, out of TCU, is in his first NFL season after opting out of last year's campaign due to COVID-19 concerns and is emerging at right tackle. 
POST NFL DRAFT: Trey Smith vows he is 'completely healthy' to play in NFL. Kansas City Chiefs agreed.
EARLIER THIS SUMMER: Former Tennessee Vols star Trey Smith, now in the NFL, continues to give back to Knoxville.
Improving the offensive line was a main focus for the Chiefs in the offseason following their Super Bowl LV loss to Tampa Bay in February, where Mahomes was pressured 29 times on 52 dropbacks. 
Kansas City traded a first round pick for Pro Bowl tackle Orlando Brown, signed guard Joe Thuney to a five-year deal, added Kyle Long after the former Bears guard spent a year out of the league and re-added Laurent Duvernay-Tardif after he spent last year in Canada working in a long-term medical facility during the first several months of the pandemic.
But despite the competition, Smith was listed as the starter at right guard on the first preseason depth chart and has continued to work there ever since.
Smith fell in this spring's draft into Day 3 (NFL.com had Smith as a third round prospect), almost certainly because of his issues with blood clots in college, which prompted the former Tennessee captain to tweet "Will never forget". 
But Smith has climbed the depth chart, and it'll be hard to ignore his name on the starting lineup in Week 1.

Because the draft isn’t an exact science.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

15 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Hindsight is 2020

Please find all the posts where u were banging the table for this guy....

Yep. If OL-needy KC knew so much that he’d look good right away, they’d have taken him at least a round earlier instead of risking him getting taken elsewhere, by drafting him over the 5th round WR they already waived.

He was the 33rd OLman taken. Not all good players were good prospects, and vice versa. It happens. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Eh… Trey Smith was not that. He was a  legit prospect way above everyone else. He had health concerns so I understand his drop but the guy was value as soon as the second round ended.

Which means every team in the NFL missed in the 3rd, 4th, 5th and some of the 6th round.  

I'm not saying he wasnt a prospect but either the whole league didnt agree that he was a high value right after the 2nd.  Health reasons were a bigger issue that people reason, who knows what a players medical records say. 

Point is I'm questioning any GMs drafting because they missed a 6th round gem.  Especially over an article saying "hey may become"

54 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Link?

Its that same yearly "many here wanted him".  Hear it for every draft.  One guy mentioned him out of TONS of post calling for an offensive lineman.  I bet by the end of the conversation every OL was mentioned by someone

And what does that say exactly, its hind of how the draft played out

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Easy.....Blair Thomas over Cortez Kennedy or Junior Seau.  Not often you have a chance to pass on two HOF guys . That takes incredible talent.

Except that Blair Thomas was rated at the top of that draft and busted.  It happens a lot more often than people realize.  Hell Jeff George was taken one spot ahead of Thomas at the top of that draft.  Keith McCants went ahead of Seau.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

There were TONS of posts of people that wanted another olineman drafted and Trey Smith was talked up big time by at least one poster on here.

I was one of them; I was openly begging the Jets to draft him during the draft. I'm a Vol grad and watched most of his games while he was at UT. He was a stud, and by all reports a good guy.

The blood clot issue was real, but locally it was reported that he had gotten treatment for the condition, etc. I understand why he fell in the draft, but I've also been begging JD to draft more OL for two years now.  

• Upvote 1

For me, its got to be O'Brien over Marino.

Still remember reading that Jim Kensil thought O'Brien had the stronger arm of the two and he that would make him a better fit for the winds of Shea Stadium.  Leon Hess had not yet told Kensil of the plan to leave Shea in a year or two.  For amost 40 years I have wondered if we would have taken Marino if Hess had told Kensil that he was likely to move

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Go ahead ans search the name here and in the draft forum.  I'm not going to do your homework for you.

I just checked my post history.  I was hoping and posting about Smith on May 1, and probably sooner. I made several posts....

Maybe the Jets will finally hire me, now!

:-)

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

I mean, I just never thought that a board with tons of Jamal Adams, Darnold, Gase and others threads would be so upset that I wanted to contribute that we could have gotten a starter instead of DT Marshall.

Sincerely, no sarcasm, I will try to do better.

There is nothing wrong with lamenting that the Jets did or did not do something with our personnel.  You asked the board - hey, what about this guy?   So you got responses ranging from the snarky "this was already discussed" (and it will be discussed again!) to posts about his medicals and poor scheme fit. 

It's all good.  It's cool to have a poster from Ecuador posting on the Jets. 

And you DID contribute.  I did not know Trey Smith had emerged as a starter on the Chiefs.  Nor did I know he had a "the whole league is going to pay" attitude going.   Moreover, I did not know that he put Duvernay-Tardiff on the bench (he starts for us fellas = BANG).  

I suspect neither did the board.  He was a highly touted prospect with can't miss traits before his brush with death.   Here is his scouting report from Ourlads if you would like to read it.  NOTE: I am not giving away the Ourlads product.  They have posted this year's reviews on line.  The site is worth a visit as they review the progress of the rookie class on a weekly basis during the season:

2021 Guide: What Ourlads' NFL Scouting Services said about TREY SMITH: Tennessee, 6054 331 5.11. Four-year starter, Jackson, TN. Two-time first-team All SEC honoree at left guard. Second-team All America in 2020. His career began with him seeing starts all over the line, every position other than center. He was on a trajectory of being one of the best guards in the country before being slightly derailed with blood clots in his lungs halfway through the 2018 season. After overcoming that, he was back on the field for the start of 2019 and didn’t miss another game. A seasoned veteran with over 40 career starts. An oversized guard who will occasionally struggle with lateral movement and adjustment speed, but his size and intelligence can somewhat make up for it. Best suited for a gap-power scheme that will allow him to come off the ball downhill and get movement with his powerful hands, heavy frame, and long arms. He is a safe bet to be a starter in the league. Almost always the biggest guy in the room. Has the frame that simply checks all the boxes. Tall and wide with great length and hand size. Looks like a grizzly bear when he comes off the ball as a run blocker. Will overwhelm and swallow up defenders. Can win the battle even if he lacks the ideal positioning. A hard blocker to simply get around because of his radius and upper body strength. Versatility is a plus, having played all over the line. Brings the mentality that can elevate the outlook of a group up front. Keeps the arms long and feet active post-contact. Plays a smart game and comes across mature and mentally developed. Understands angles and spacing both as a pass blocker and when approaching the second level. Doesn’t always show natural knee bend. Ankles get stiff and it will translate to poor positioning. Will get top heavy and lunge with his upper body. Doesn’t consistently react to late, subtle lateral movement. Third/fourth round. (A-33 3/4, H-10, BP-32, 10-1.75).

14 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Kyle Brady over Sapp SMH

Who among us will be the first to admit that they were chanting at the radio in unison with the crowd at MSG?  I will.  My brother and I were pleading with that electric chunk of plastic and metal to please deliver us. 

Alas.  But I was already a Jet fan.  When we took Brady, I thought of Ron Farout and threw my drink out the window. 

14 hours ago, doitny said:

that better be sarcasm.

dont let these guys stop you from posting whatever you want. who cares if some dont aprove. 

thats what a forum is..... we post....we answer.....we wisecrack and make fun....we laugh and have a good time.

Salute.

14 hours ago, JazzyJet said:

from what I read Trey Smith wasn't a scheme fit. he was a power guy...no?

Yep.  You cannot stand in front of him.  His game reminds me of Andreas Peat - the big guard for New Orleans.  Drafted in the first to play tackle, he lacked the feet and moved inside.  You cannot stand in front of Peat, he just engulfs you.  They said the same thing about Smith.   "Looks like a grizzly bear when he comes off the ball as a run blocker."

13 hours ago, nycdan said:

If we're playing hindsight, then it would have to be Jamal over Mahomes.  Hands down the single move that would have changed our fortunes - unless you believe that we would have just ruined Mahomes, which is entirely possible.

On the merits, in recent drafts this is undoubtedly true.  But the way I grade Jet general managers, it is not a blunder at all.   I want my GM to rank them honestly and fairly.  Then I want him to pick them in order to the maximum extent possible allowing for fair trades as necessary to move around and to establish relationships with other GMs.  I do not want a risky ballsy GM.

The Chiefs took the risk and traded up to get a polarizing prospect who scouting report warned needed to sit for a season.  The Jets took the "once in a generation" Safety.  Ourlads loved Jamal and said he would affect NFL running attacks from day one and they were right.  Was it the right decision?  Uh, no.  Mahomes is a star QB.

But when a GM takes a risk and overdrafts a player based on ardent belief, that player had better work out.  Like you, we have seen that movie before. 

10 hours ago, chirorob said:

The big 2 for me are Marino over Kenny O, lots of people called that at the time

Then Sapp over Kyle Brady.   ALL of us called that.

A dark cloud still appears when I think of losing out on Sapp to draft ole alligator arms. 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Easy.....Blair Thomas over Cortez Kennedy or Junior Seau.  Not often you have a chance to pass on two HOF guys . That takes incredible talent.

Me too.  The worst part is that unlike the Sapp debacle - there were character concerns about Sapp - there was nothing to justify the Jets taking Thomas.  Cortez Kennedy was the real DROB - not the ersatz thing we drafted.  Even double teamed, Kennedy was in the backfield on the one count.  One of the most disruptive interior lineman I have ever seen. 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Sincerely, no sarcasm, I will try to do better.

No no no fren... you tell them to eat a bag of ***** and keep doing you. People  like to act like we are running  out  of real estate  on the boards because  they don't seem to understand the internet.

Feed the trolls and tell the people  telling you how to post or what to post  to gft. They don't have to read your thread or post in it.

14 hours ago, Origen said:

Ali Marpet in Rd 2 of 2015 instead of Devin Smith would be a solid do-over.

2006 is such a mess of a draft.  Such low moments.

Anthony Schlegel at #76 when Elvis Dumervil went at #126

Hell, we could have paired Brick with Jahri Evans for 10 to 12 years, but, hey, we got Brad Smith 5 picks earlier and he had some cool Wildcat plays.  Maybe not 4 All-Pro, 6 Pro-Bowl but that punt return with 1 shoe... Wooeee!

and the gholston at 5.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

I am not one of those crazy anti JD "fans" but I simply don't understand why we didn't pull the trigger on this guy on the 6th round.

Former Vol Trey Smith could 'wind up being' Kansas City Chiefs' best offensive lineman, ESPN analyst says

Trey Smith may have been a Day 3 pick in the NFL Draft, but he might be a Day 1 starter as a rookie with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Smith, who was drafted in the sixth round of April's draft by the AFC champions, has been the starter at right guard since early in camp. The former Tennessee Vols offensive lineman has started both preseason games for Kansas City, including Friday's matchup at the Arizona Cardinals.

"Let me tell you something about Trey Smith," ESPN analyst Louis Riddick said before Friday's game. "This is a sixth-round pick who may wind up being their best offensive lineman. He's going to be fun to watch tonight. He's going to have some highlight-type blocks."

Smith is not the only rookie on the line protecting Patrick Mahomes, either. Center Creed Humphrey was a second round pick out of Oklahoma, and 2020 third round pick Lucas Niang, out of TCU, is in his first NFL season after opting out of last year's campaign due to COVID-19 concerns and is emerging at right tackle. 

POST NFL DRAFT: Trey Smith vows he is 'completely healthy' to play in NFL. Kansas City Chiefs agreed.

EARLIER THIS SUMMER: Former Tennessee Vols star Trey Smith, now in the NFL, continues to give back to Knoxville.

Improving the offensive line was a main focus for the Chiefs in the offseason following their Super Bowl LV loss to Tampa Bay in February, where Mahomes was pressured 29 times on 52 dropbacks. 

Kansas City traded a first round pick for Pro Bowl tackle Orlando Brown, signed guard Joe Thuney to a five-year deal, added Kyle Long after the former Bears guard spent a year out of the league and re-added Laurent Duvernay-Tardif after he spent last year in Canada working in a long-term medical facility during the first several months of the pandemic.

But despite the competition, Smith was listed as the starter at right guard on the first preseason depth chart and has continued to work there ever since.

Smith fell in this spring's draft into Day 3 (NFL.com had Smith as a third round prospect), almost certainly because of his issues with blood clots in college, which prompted the former Tennessee captain to tweet "Will never forget". 

But Smith has climbed the depth chart, and it'll be hard to ignore his name on the starting lineup in Week 1.

Among ALL of the dire needs the Jets have.... Because let's face it, the Jets are an incomplete team right now. They simply don't have all bases covered to even so much as run their offense correctly. FB is an enormous need for this team and we could have had BEN MASON the Michigan FB in the 5th round. Why didn't he draft him? In other words it's silly to talk about the players he opted not to take. The Jets still had an excellent draft.

19 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Ugh...that one did sting.

After watching him play and having no knowledge of his  medical history I said he was the guy the Jets should have taken with the Seattle first-rounder.

Couldn't believe how far he fell.  Figured he'd go in the 4th because of the health stuff but as late as he did?  Shocked.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, section314 said:

How 'bout Parcells trading down twice and having HOF left tackles taken with both picks he traded so he could draft James Farrior who would have one good season with the Jets before leaving?

• Sad 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Go ahead ans search the name here and in the draft forum.  I'm not going to do your homework for you.

Was your claim, not mine.  Supporting your claim isn't actually "my" homework, mate. :)

For giggles I just did a search for your posts and "Trey Smith".

There was exactly one post, on December 23, 2020:  

Creed humphry and Wyatt davis or trey smith in place of sewel.  The overall oline will be better with a high end guard and center than an opposing tackle.

Since I don't really feel like searching every post of every poster, I'll just let it go.  Cheers.