Your worst JN takes....

AFJF

1 hour ago, peebag said:

I really thought Devin Smith was going to tear up the league instead of his leg

I saw him in a preseason game this year.   I still root for the guy.

Nothing happened that his his fault.   A team mate breaking his ribs in a non contact practice.    The acls

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, chirorob said:

In the regular season.

Maybe if he had a competent Org behind him (his owner was a notorious drug addict, after all) and didn’t have to go against habitual cheaters every year for 2 decades he’d have a few more rings.

All I know is, in my lifetime, I’ve never seen a better QB play the game than Peyton.  And I was in attendance at the 41-0 blowout in 2002, if that matters. 

9 hours ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

I was all in on Macc trading up for Sam

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He didn’t even trade up for Sam, though. He traded up for whichever QB was left to him by two other teams. (Some like to pretend he knew the Giants weren’t taking a QB, but he admitted himself he didn’t know until the Barkley pick was announced, let alone the nonsense that he 100% knew who the Giants were taking, and knew it 6 weeks before the draft). Just like Bradway trading up to #4 for Robertson before knowing who’d be there (at least Bradway’s gamble was only like a day in advance, not well over a month). It’s only fitting that both GMs got the player they truly wanted, and both were major letdowns. :bag: 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I think sticking with Mac too long.  It did sound like woody did his homework before hiring the guy and it sounded like his time as a scout would help him select good players. Obviously I stayed with him for 5 seasons too long.  He didn’t do much.  I was also for gase. At least give him more of a chance than he got at the beginning. His first season was encouraging.  Kind of like charley winner in that regard.

I think they finally have a coach and gm that can get the job done.

I once compared, as a positive, Dexter McDougle's ability to mirror receivers with Darrelle Revis's ability to mirror receivers.

Seriously.

Lots of others - giddy that we got Darnold, happy that we picked Hackenberg who just needed to be in the correct scheme, thought that Darron Lee would be a unique defensive weapon, believed that Gholson's take-off was like a young LT.

Yeah, some pretty bad ones.  But that McDougle / Revis comparison....sheesh.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

How was this an incorrect take? Fitzpatrick is clearly a better NFL QB than Geno Smith.

You'll have to ask all the folks here who regularly bring it up as an example of my "bad takes".  

I think some of them think we had a universe of possible QB options going into 2016.  We didn't. 

It was a binary: either we resign Fitz after his 2015 performance or go back to our young 4th year Geno, who lost his job due to injury. 

I preferred Fitz and preferred moving on from Geno.  And I've never heard the end of it. 

So clearly, to many here, it was one of my worst takes.  

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

How was this an incorrect take? Fitzpatrick is clearly a better NFL QB than Geno Smith.

Knowing my fishy friend as I do, I’m more than a little confident he was hoping someone would give him the opportunity to elaborate on this one.

He went Warfishing and got a bite. Good for him. ?

• Haha 3

I don't think I have too many, but that is mostly because most of what I say is qualified and I don't really go out on a limb.  Currently, I am afraid to say what I think of Mac Jones for fear I will be wrong.  

I guess my main ones were being the #clydegates guy, and now the #jeffsmith guy.  I think they were both bargains of potential, but obviously neither has done anything.  I won my bet with whoever it was that Gates had more production as a Jet than Jordan White, but that's not saying much.  We will see about Smith.  I find it encouraging that he has not really been on the street, but obviously he's not Justin Jefferson.

FWIW, FItzpatrick being better than Geno was never the point.  The point was it was a mistake to sign him back when they did.  I actually discussed extending him during 2015, but IMO once they gave him an ultimatum and he didn't sign, move on.  Start Hackenberg and go 0-16 for all I care, but don't sign him back.  Particularly when it is in response to Brandon Marshall lobbying.  Talk about the inmates running the asylum.  IMO that was the death knell for the whole administration.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think I have too many, but that is mostly because most of what I say is qualified and I don't really go out on a limb.  Currently, I am afraid to say what I think of Mac Jones for fear I will be wrong.  

I guess my main ones were being the #clydegates guy, and now the #jeffsmith guy.  I think they were both bargains of potential, but obviously neither has done anything.  I won my bet with whoever it was that Gates had more production as a jet than Jordan White, but that's not saying much.  We will see about Smith.  I find it encouraging that he has not really been on the street, but obviously he's not Justin Jefferson.

FWIW, FItzpatrick being better than Geno was never the point.  The point was it was a mistake to sign him back when they did.  I actually discussed extending him during 2015, but IMO once they gave him an ultimatum and he didn't sign, move on.  Start Hackenberg and go 0-16 for all I care, but don't sign him back.  Particularly when it is in response to Brandon Marshall lobbying.  Talk about the inmates running the asylum.  IMO that was the death knell for the whole administration.  

I had a longer reply on the Fitz thing - go figure, lol - but decided to let Warfish keep his happy. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

You called Josh Allen a running back for 3 years.

Yeah and I owned that one earlier in the thread, along with picking Darnold to be my favorite QB from the 2018 class.

Allen completed 56 % of his passes in college and proceeded to mostly suck his first 2 years in the pros.  His best traits up until his 3rd season began were his running ability and elite athleticism.  Christian Hackenberg, meanwhile, was basically an undraftable prospect and it was very obvious he'd be a terrible bust from the start.  Probably the worst draft pick in Jets history (especially since his presence was a big reason Macc took a Safety over Mahomes/Watson the following season), and that says something given the franchise's awful draft history. 

My take was terrible, no doubt, but there's really nothing to learn from it.  You simply don't draft inaccurate prospects and expect them to become accurate at the pro level.  99 times out of 100 that kind of pick fails.  Allen was that 1 out of 100. 

Buying into Christian Hackenberg based on his freshman year of college, while ignoring how bad he was the subsequent 3 years, was a decidedly worse take.  Nearly all of us called that pick by Macc a terrible one from the jump.  It was obvious.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He completed 56 % of his passes in college and proceeded to suck his first 2 years in the pros.  Christian Hackenberg was an undraftable prospect.  

Comment was more about the audacity of you weighing in on another take being bad, not the splitting of hairs.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Comment was more about the audacity of you weighing in on another take being bad, not the splitting of hairs.

Since I owned my take earlier, I get to do that.  Especially since thinking Hackenberg would be good was a decidedly worse take than thinking Allen would be bad after 4 bad years of college and 2 pretty bad years in the pros. 

Where's your list?

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Since I owned my take earlier, I get to do that.  Especially since thinking Hackenberg would be good was a decidedly worse take than thinking Allen would be bad after 4 bad years of college and 2 pretty bad years in the pros. 

Where's your list?

I’m the guy that wanted us to draft Garappolo, Dak Prescott, and several other good ones. I did think Bryce Petty could be something though.

I banged the table for Bruce Arians after he was temp head coach of the Colts (when Pagano was sick). I did have higher expectations of Bowles though.

I’m also the guy that want Rex fired after his 3rd season. Yea, I was just right.

I haven’t really been guilty of too many bad takes. I dole out cautious optimism at worst with guys like Hack and Gholston. It helps to hate everything we do.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I strongly preferred, at the time, Mike McCarthy (6-10 in year 1 in Dallas) to Adam Gase (9-23 in 2 years in NY) for the open Jets HC job.

This was a 'take' that probably had no winners. 

The only winning move was not to play.

That is interesting, but if Saleh and Douglas are the real deal...then Gase was a better pick. Because he made it happen in record time.

• Upvote 2