It’s Panthers Week

kevinc855

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

If Joe Douglas is a generational GM, his 2 years of drafting and 2.5 years of free agenting should show fruit.  Wilson, Mims, Elijah, the other Elijah, Carter, the other Carter, Perine, Becton, we should see it right now.

If Robert Saleh is a generational HC, his impact should be immediate.  No different than Parcells, Edwards, Mangini, Ryan, or Bowles who all had winning seasons in their first year.

If Zach Wilson is a generational QB, we should see it right away.  Sure there will be hiccups, but the guy is being compared to Marino and Rodgers and he has a ton of weapons and a serviceable line.

The Jets have been in an announced, deep rebuild since 2018.  We've been through Suck For Sam, we've gotten rid of expensive guys, we've drafted with tons of assets, we'd have a ton of free agent money to spend.  In our broken, awful state we've averaged 5 wins a season in the 5 years of the rebuild.  Getting to 8 should not be a challenge for this team.

SAR I

If? I had balls I’d be King!

-The Queen

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

“If you expect nothing from anybody, you’re never disappointed.” 

― Sylvia Plath

This is the Jets groove many of you have allowed yourselves to fall into.  You've accepted Jets mediocrity and this so-called 'slow' rebuild for so long that you think its all you are entitled to.

I've seen the Yankees and Rangers go from rebuild to playoff contenders in a single season.  Shouldn't take the Jets 5.  We have the best OL we've had since 2015, we have the best set of WR's we've had since 1986, and maybe, maybe, we finally found a franchise quarterback all playing in this supercharged Shanahan offense.  We have 9 home games and a neutral site game, we only face 2 elite quarterbacks the whole year, it's the easiest schedule we've had in decades.

Expectations.  You should have them.  You all should.

SAR I

I just had the best jog I’ve taken in ten years. Made it from the den to the fridge without stopping. 

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

This is an 8-win team and the Panthers are one of the games that’s winnable.  

If Douglas, Saleh, and Wilson truly are generational as we’ve been promised, it will show in Week 1.  

SAR I

You just love to make sh*t up.  Nobody promised that.  Period.  Enough with the absurd hyperbole.  Its all you do lately.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I just had the best jog I’ve taken in ten years. Made it from the den to the fridge without stopping. 

I've got the pool ready for one last swim day before draining it for the season.  And as I lie there floating in my premium foam lounger and listening to Coldplay I will remember that this is a Jets team with 7 wins before a tough schedule and a lousy HC/DC ran it into the ground and that the level of "up" for this team starts with the number 8.  

This team may not be better than we think it is, but it damned well should be.  Expectations.  Let's go.

SAR I

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I don't think you could find a "better" opponent than Sam for our young D to begin it's season.  1-0!  Go Jets! 

The Jets young D better have a good game or it'll get ugly early Sunday afternoon. Can they make Sam see ghosts?

Because if they don't and the Panthers OL is able to protect Darnold and give him time he'll eat up the Jets secondary throwing to a real WR1, WR2, TE.

If the Panthers OL is able to open a few holes for McCaffrey the Jets will have to play more guys in the box exposing the very young and experienced secondary.

I think the only way the Jets win this game is in a shoot out where Zach has a huge day.

24 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I've got the pool ready for one last swim day before draining it for the season.  And as I lie there floating in my premium foam lounger and listening to Coldplay I will remember that this is a Jets team with 7 wins before a tough schedule and a lousy HC/DC ran it into the ground and that the level of "up" for this team starts with the number 8.  

This team may not be better than we think it is, but it damned well should be.  Expectations.  Let's go.

SAR I

I’ll be outside spraying  off all the beach stuff with my premium hose nozzle because it’s all covered in sand from the beach last week, before I put it away for the season. I’m currently listening to The Who. I’ll be thinking about the youth on this team in both players and coaches. I will look forward to being impressed by a young energetic well coached team and the progress they will make during the season. They will certainly level up from the team last year by simply trying for an entire season.  I expect  this team to be better than the opinions given  by 95% of the media. You seem to be one of the only people that truly believe in them and their ability to achieve 8 wins. Well done homeboy! 

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

lol At first I thought "had the best jog" was gonna be a euphemism for taking a really good dump. Then I realized you're a mod and you guys don't do that and if you do, it doesn't stink.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ZacharyWilson said:

lol At first I thought "had the best jog" was gonna be a euphemism for taking a really good dump. Then I realized you're a mod and you guys don't do that and if you do, it doesn't stink.

Thank you, but there is damn good reason why no one but the mods are allowed in the mod lounge. Be thankful. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

You just love to make sh*t up.  Nobody promised that.  Period.  Enough with the absurd hyperbole.  Its all you do lately.

First off, we're all making sh*t up, it's a discussion forum, it's a place for opinions.  My opinion is that the Johnson's have been selling this fanbase on the 'deep patient rebuild' since 2017 and even though the actors have changed it's the same production.

After 4-5 years of Maccagnan/Douglas tearing this thing down and accumulating draft capital and cap space we are owed results.  I don't care who the Johnson's brought in here.  It's their show and its been run this way since they gave up on Fitzpatrick.  The media and fans tell me that Douglas is the guy, cool, show me.  The media and fans tell me that Saleh is the guy, cool, show me.  The media and fans tell me that Wilson is the guy, cool, show me.  Schedule is easy, everyone is healthy, Panthers are served up on a platter, go get the win.  You should expect similar.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

The Jets young D better have a good game or it'll get ugly early Sunday afternoon. Can they make Sam see ghosts?

Because if they don't and the Panthers OL is able to protect Darnold and give him time he'll eat up the Jets secondary throwing to a real WR1, WR2, TE.

If the Panthers OL is able to open a few holes for McCaffrey the Jets will have to play more guys in the box exposing the very young and experienced secondary.

I think the only way the Jets win this game is in a shoot out where Zach has a huge day.

5 huge mismatches the NY Jets have against the Carolina Panthers

Here are five areas where the New York Jets have an advantage over the Carolina Panthers in their Week 1 matchup.

By  Michael Nania  09/03/2021

New York Jets DT Quinnen Williams vs. Carolina Panthers LG Pat Elflein

The Carolina Panthers do not have a good offensive line. Outside of impressive right tackle Taylor Moton, their other four starters each offer subpar track records of production over the past two seasons.

This gives the New York Jets – who have an excellent interior defensive line – a massive mismatch that could cause constant problems for Sam Darnold in Week 1.

In fact, the Panthers’ offensive line as a whole is similar in quality to the one Sam Darnold played behind with the Jets last year.

Carolina is particularly weak in the middle. Pat Elflein, Matt Paradis, and John Miller have each performed at bottom-tier levels over the past two seasons.

The most enticing matchup for the Jets defense is Quinnen Williams against former Jets guard Pat Elflein, who projects as Carolina’s starting left guard.

Williams mostly works on the right side of the defensive line, opposite the opposing left guard. By my tracking, he faced the left guard on 47% of his pass-rush opportunities last season, easily his highest rate of the five offensive line positions (center followed at 31%). Williams also had his best success against left guards, posting a 16.1% pressure rate against them according to my tracking – also his best of the five offensive line positions.

Elflein has been a terrible pass protector in the NFL. Last season, he allowed the second-worst pressure rate among all qualified guards (10.0%).

Williams is coming off of a second-half run in which he showed the potential to become one of the three best defensive tackles in the league. From Weeks 7-17, he ranked second among interior defensive linemen in run stops per game (2.1), third in pressures per game (4.4), and second in combined run stops and pressures per game (6.5).

A player-versus-player matchup in the NFL can hardly get more lopsided than this.

New York Jets EDGE Shaq Lawson vs. Carolina Panthers LT Cameron Erving

If Carl Lawson were healthy, this mismatch would be even bigger than Williams-versus-Elflein (which, as I just described, would take quite an enormous mismatch). But even with Shaq Lawson in Carl’s place, this is a matchup in the Jets’ favor.

Shaq Lawson has created pressure at a strong level over the past two seasons. He had an 11.1% pressure rate in 2020 (73rd percentile among EDGE) and a 13.6% pressure rate in 2019 (81st percentile).

Lawson is primarily a right-side defensive end. He lined up on the right side for 92% of his defensive snaps last season.

That would pit Lawson against the Panthers’ starting left tackle, Cameron Erving.

Erving has been one of the worst-performing tackles in the NFL since the Browns took him with the 19th overall pick in the 2015 draft. With the Cowboys last season, Erving’s overall Pro Football Focus grade of 58.0 – by far a career-high – ranked at the 17th percentile among qualified tackles.

The prior season, Erving’s 44.8 grade for Kansas City was the second-worst among all qualified tackles.

New York Jets WR Corey Davis vs. Carolina Panthers CB Jaycee Horn

One of the big advantages that the Jets will have on offense is veteran wideout Corey Davis against rookie cornerback Jaycee Horn. This matchup has not gotten much chatter just yet, but it is likely a big edge in the Jets’ favor.

Davis rotated between both sides of the offense with the Titans last season and did the same with the Jets this preseason. Horn primarily stayed home at left cornerback this preseason. So, Davis should see Horn for about half of his time on the field.

Horn, the eighth overall pick in the 2021 draft, is a talented, long, and physical corner who will likely have a successful career in the NFL.

With that being said, history tells us that he is probably not going to play well this year. Rookie corners tend to put up brutal numbers early in their NFL careers.

Through the first 10 weeks of the 2020 season, rookie cornerbacks combined to allow 39 touchdowns, seven interceptions, 9.5 yards per target, and 1.60 yards per cover snap on throws in their direction. None of the 15 qualified rookie corners ranked in the top-50% among all qualified corners in fewest yards per cover snap allowed. That group includes first-round picks like Jeff Okudah and C.J. Henderson who were regarded similarly highly to Horn.

Davis will be a difficult task for the rookie in his first-ever regular season game.

Plus, the big-bodied Davis (6-foot-3, 209 pounds) was dominant against lengthy cornerbacks like Horn (6-foot-1, 205 pounds) last season.

In 2020, when targeted against cornerbacks who stand at six feet or taller, Davis gained 507 yards on 43 targets. That’s an average of 11.8 yards per target – for reference, the NFL’s leader in overall yards per target last season was Will Fuller at 11.7.

Davis was held in check by sub-six-foot corners, averaging 6.9 yards per target against them.

Playing against a rookie cornerback in his NFL debut who fits the physical description of the type of corner he tends to feast on, Davis has a great chance of going off in Week 1.

New York Jets OTs Mekhi Becton and Morgan Moses vs. Carolina Panthers run defense

The Panthers have constructed a strong edge pass-rushing duo in 2019 first-round pick Brian Burns and 2021 free-agent signing Haason Reddick. Burns developed into a star last season, tying for seventh among edge rushers with 57 pressures. Reddick tied for 11th with 56 pressures in Arizona.

Burns and Reddick will be a stiff challenge for the tackle duo of Mekhi Becton and (presumably) Morgan Moses in the passing game.

However, Becton and Moses have a sizable advantage in the run game.

Burns earned a run defense grade of 61.5 at PFF last season, ranking 33rd out of 62 qualified edge rushers (48th percentile). Reddick ranked 40th (36th percentile) with a 56.7 grade.

Becton and Moses could form one of the more intimidating pair of run-blocking tackles in the NFL. Moses’ 85.9 run-blocking grade last season ranked second-best among right tackles. As a 21-year-old rookie, Becton’s 73.9 run-blocking grade ranked 11th among left tackles.

Carolina has a bevy of run-stopping issues beyond their edge duo. Last season, the Panthers allowed the fifth-most yards per carry in the NFL (4.7). Their safety duo of Juston Burris (38.8 run defense grade) and Jeremy Chinn (47.7) – who are both set to return in their starting roles – was a massive part of those problems.

That is great news for Becton, who excels at getting out to the second level and picking off defensive backs to create enormous running lanes.

The Panthers’ pass rush has the edge over New York’s pass protection, but the Jets’ run blocking should shred Carolina’s run defense, starting on the edges with Becton and Moses.

New York Jets RBs Tevin Coleman and Michael Carter vs. Carolina Panthers LB Shaq Thompson

Carolina allowed the third-most receptions to running backs last season (93). Those struggles were largely on starting linebacker Shaq Thompson. He gave up 63 receptions, tied for the third-most among all linebackers.

Known far more for his run defense than his pass coverage, Thompson is set to reprise his role as one of the Panthers’ starting linebackers for the seventh consecutive season.

He will be tasked with covering a pair of solid pass-catching backs in Week 1 – Tevin Coleman and Michael Carter.

Coleman projects as the Jets’ primary receiver at the running back position. The former Falcon and 49er has been one of the more efficient receiving backs in the NFL throughout his career, boasting numbers of 7.2 yards per target, 1.30 yards per route run, and a 32.5% conversion rate.

Carter was a sneaky great receiver in college. He ranked at the 95th percentile among running backs with 1.95 yards per route run in 2020. Carter snatched 25 of 30 targets for 267 yards (8.9 per target), two touchdowns, and 11 first downs (43.3% conversion rate).

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

All good news. No one being idiots this weekend and crowder was vaccinated. Sounds like a responsible young team 

Covid takes 2-5 days (on average) to show up in a test.

We won’t know how responsible (or lucky) they were until Wednesday or Thursday.

3 hours ago, OceanPanther said:

Good morning Jets Fans,  from the Carolina Coast..  

We've all been waiting soooo long for the season to begin.  

I think it'll be a high scoring game.  I hope we get pressure on Wilson early so he doesn't get into a smooth rythem .

Stay healthy my friends.

Panthers 31,  Jets  17

Jets North 35

Jets South 17

36 minutes ago, SAR I said:

First off, we're all making sh*t up, it's a discussion forum, it's a place for opinions.  My opinion is that the Johnson's have been selling this fanbase on the 'deep patient rebuild' since 2017 and even though the actors have changed it's the same production.

After 4-5 years of Maccagnan/Douglas tearing this thing down and accumulating draft capital and cap space we are owed results.  I don't care who the Johnson's brought in here.  It's their show and its been run this way since they gave up on Fitzpatrick.  The media and fans tell me that Douglas is the guy, cool, show me.  The media and fans tell me that Saleh is the guy, cool, show me.  The media and fans tell me that Wilson is the guy, cool, show me.  Schedule is easy, everyone is healthy, Panthers are served up on a platter, go get the win.  You should expect similar.  

SAR I

Well I am not convinced that Wilson is the guy. How can anyone be convinced at this stge of the game?    He hasn't played any significant time.  But I simply don't recall any pundit or other big NFL media name assuring us that Wilson or even JD & Saleh are to be superbowl bound in the near future.   All I have pretty much heard are upbeat typical media driven dribble, which you obviously enjoy using as your fodder for your agenda.  I don't buy in.  You are spewing nonsense.  Again. <sigh>  

Panthers offensive line isn't good and reported today that their starting RG is out. Our defensive line will put pressure up the middle. Darnold will have happy feet and force throws. Expecting at least 1 turnover from Darnold throwing an INT and couple of sacks.

Jets 24

Panthers 13

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Panthers starting RG. They already had a very weak interior before this. 

Just looking at a Pamthers site they think he's 1 of the 2 Panthers players who aren't vaccinated bc he was wearing a mask on the sidelines of one of the preseason games. That would mean he's out for the game. Although they seem happy about it for what it's worth. 

My take on the game:  Panthers OL is nothing to write home about.  The immediate test here is can the  Jets pressure Sam Darnold? (they should certainly be able to and I'll flat out angry if they can't) And are they able to contain CMC within reason?  I worry about the Darnold-CMC checkdown throws.  If the front 7 or 9 or whatever mishegoss Saleh is going to use to try to confuse Darnold's pea-brain out there doesn't work, and Sam has time, then I'd start worrying about Moore and Robby.

On the offense, for me it's the OL and Wilson initial lab results.  I don't have any feel for how they will compete after such an odd pre season.  Really, I can't remember a season with such a total bunch of ???'s as this in a pretty long time.   I guess that's "much better" than going in 'knowing' we are going to suck as we have in the last decade or so.  It's more than "You mean there's a chance?" But it's nowhere near some of the propaganda out there. And here.

edit:  It's not a game where anyone should be putting a bet on either side. That's for sure. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, All Gas, No Gase said:

Other than Morton at RT, the Carolina Oline is trash. If Jets can get a good pass rush, Mosley can contain CMC and Becton does well against Harris (Carolina’s stud edge pass rusher; Becton should destroy him in the run game), and Wilson doesn’t stink, the Jets can win this one.

I think you mean Mr. BurnsThe Simpsons Reaction GIF

13 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I just want to see Mosely dressed and on the field.

Yep.  And frankly....  the McCaffery matchups against him in checkdowns  has me a little worried.  short coverage was never Mosely's strong point in Baltimore to begin with.  

• Upvote 1