It’s Panthers Week

kevinc855

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You want your best pass blocker back there with a rookie QB.  I fully expected this and don't mind it for the first couple weeks.  Especially since "RB1" isn't really a thing in this system with how many RB's tend to get used.  Coleman can be the RB1 on the depth chart and still play less than 50 % of the snaps.  Just depends on the gameflow, who the hot hand is, and who Saleh trusts most as a pass blocker after Coleman.

If Coleman is still the RB1 and also getting the lion share of the snaps by Week 4 or so, then I'll be unhappy.  

If you say so

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

not sure where else to put this but listening to Saleh's PC, and Zach named a captain.  wow!  this is not the norm, am I right?  speaks volumes about how the team feels about this kid!

Agreed.  Especially since Saleh said he was voted as team captain by his teammates.  Sounds like he has got their respect - now lets hope he can play.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

If you say so

Don't take my word for it.  Just look at the touch distribution for SF the last 3 seasons:

SF Running Back touches, 2020:

• Jeff Wilson:  139
  • Raheem Mostert:  120
  • Jerick McKinnon:  114
  • Jamycal Hasty:  46
  • Tevin Coleman:  32

SF Running Back touches, 2019:

• Tevin Coleman:  158
  • Raheem Mostert:  151
  • Matt Breida:  142
  • Jeff Wilson:  30

SF Running Back touches, 2018:

• Matt Breida:  180
  • Alfred Morris:  119
  • Jeff Wilson:  78
  • Raheem Mostert:  41

Granted, injuries impacted the numbers a bit (particularly Mostert's last season).  But even so, this system uses RB's fairly interchangeably.  And we know injuries are part of the deal for RB's, so having 3-4 guys you can throw out there on any given day is part of the strategy too. 

There usually isn't really a RB1 in the Shanahan system.  More like a RB1a, RB1b, and usually an RB1c as well.  We drafted Carter in the 4th round and are carrying 5 RB's for a reason.  At least 4 of the 5 will get used this year, and at least 2-3 will get used pretty heavily.  So, yeah, its a good bet that Tevin Coleman's stay at the top of the depth chart will be short-lived.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Don't take my word for it.  Just look at the touch distribution for SF the last 3 seasons:

SF Running Back touches, 2020:

• Jeff Wilson:  139
  • Raheem Mostert:  120
  • Jerick McKinnon:  114
  • Jamycal Hasty:  46
  • Tevin Coleman:  32

SF Running Back touches, 2019:

• Tevin Coleman:  158
  • Raheem Mostert:  151
  • Matt Breida:  142
  • Jeff Wilson:  30

SF Running Back touches, 2018:

• Matt Breida:  180
  • Alfred Morris:  119
  • Jeff Wilson:  78
  • Raheem Mostert:  41

Granted, injuries impacted the numbers a bit (particularly Mostert's last season).  But even so, this system uses RB's fairly interchangeably.  And we know injuries are part of the deal for RB's, so having 3-4 guys you can throw out there on any given day is part of the strategy too. 

There usually isn't really a RB1 in the Shanahan system.  More like a RB1a, RB1b, and usually an RB1c as well.  We drafted Carter in the 4th round and are carrying 5 RB's for a reason.  At least 4 of the 5 will get used this year, and at least 2-3 will get used pretty heavily.  So, yeah, its a good bet that Tevin Coleman's stay at the top of the depth chart will be short-lived.

Pure speculation.  LaFluer isnt Shannahan and has never called a Football game in his life.  We have no idea what the distribution will look like.  When Mostert went down last year, Wilson got 95% of carries.  Before that, it was like 60/40 between the 2, so this idea that 5 RB's are going to touch the ball in one game seems foolish but I have no clue and neither do you.  What I do know is Tevin Coleman sucks and he's our starter. 

14 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Pure speculation.  LaFluer isnt Shannahan and has never called a Football game in his life.  We have no idea what the distribution will look like.  When Mostert went down last year, Wilson got 95% of carries.  Before that, it was like 60/40 between the 2, so this idea that 5 RB's are going to touch the ball in one game seems foolish but I have no clue and neither do you.  What I do know is Tevin Coleman sucks and he's our starter. 

I mean, he comes from the Shanahan system and is likely going to follow a lot of the same principles.  That's not speculation.  That's called an educated guess based on historical trends.  What's your reasoning for the touch distribution in the 2 years prior? 

We're running the same blocking scheme that makes JAG RBs successful.  We didn't draft Carter in the 4th round just to not use him.  Coleman himself only got 32 touches across 8 games he was active for in SF just last season, so I have to imagine they're going to want to see what the other RBs can do.  They're not about to ride Coleman for 20+ touches a game.  

But you do you buddy, just trying to have a good football discussion and you're choosing to be really sour about this bit of news (that isn't actually a big deal at all) for some reason.  You OK today?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Coleman will start until it’s obvious he shouldn’t be starting anymore and Johnson is better

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, he comes from the Shanahan system and is likely going to follow a lot of the same principles.  That's not speculation.  That's called an educated guess based on historical trends.  What's your reasoning for the touch distribution in the 2 years prior? 

We're running the same blocking scheme that makes JAG RBs successful.  We didn't draft Carter in the 4th round just to not use him.  Coleman himself only got 32 touches across 8 games he was active for in SF just last season, so I have to imagine they're going to want to see what the other RBs can do.  They're not about to ride Coleman for 20+ touches a game.  

But you do you buddy, just trying to have a good football discussion and you're choosing to be really sour about this bit of news (that isn't actually a big deal at all) for some reason.  You OK today?

Fine.  Educated guess.  Either way, the fact is, you dont know and neither do I. 

Your touch distribution data is meaningless because of injuries, I'm not going to go week by week but I picked a few random weeks and they look the same, 60/40 between 2 backs, maybe Jusczyzk or a random back got 1 carry in a game but they basically played a 2 back system.   So, if we're going off that as our education, a few of these guys are going to get very little run without an injury.  

Hard to take your 2nd paragraph serious when I told you Mostert was JAGalicious and you argued for months that he was elite.

Choosing to be really sour?  huh?  I'm not sour at all.  I'm disappointed Coleman is the starter.  He's not good and I'd rather see the other guys.  

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I think it's pretty obvious now, considering Coleman sucks but whatevs, is what it is. 

I wonder who will be the other back getting carries?

Ty Johnson had a strong preseason coming off playing pretty well for us late last season so he’ll probably get about 10 carries and Michael Carter a couple carries plus third down

The wierd thing about starting Coleman is he’s actually a third down back.  That’s what he’s been his entire career

4 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

Ty Johnson had a strong preseason coming off playing pretty well for us late last season so he’ll probably get about 10 carries and Michael Carter a couple carries plus third down

The wierd thing about starting Coleman is he’s actually a third down back.  That’s what he’s been his entire career

Yeah, no doubt.  That is definitely a strange and part of my frustration.

9 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

Coleman is actual a beast against Carolina, 

as a 49er and as a Falcon he gashed us up pretty good, I'm a little worried, that was actually smart. Give a rookie a vet RB who's familiar with the opponents 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, CpSinceDay1 said:

8 playoffs in 26 compared to 14 playoffs in 52 season

LOL

Put Tom Brady in your division the last 20 years and your playoff appearances drop to zero.

What an absurd argument.  Your team is ******* trash just like ours, you just haven’t accepted it yet.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

LOL

Put Tom Brady in your division the last 20 years and your playoff appearances drop to zero.

What an absurd argument.  Your team is ******* trash just like ours, you just haven’t accepted it yet.

Oh, trust I accepted it once we traded for Darnold, I just hope it doesn't cost us the whole season and they put PJ in, 

But then again Darnold can get you a top 5 pick in the draft, but that 2nd round hurts..

But y'all the Jets, one of the worst teams ever, even the Browns started winning...

We have Tom now, so I see your point...but rooting for the jets is like being proud to be a 40 year old virgin...

Mad props for the loyalty, though.

Tieu.gif

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Hard to take your 2nd paragraph serious when I told you Mostert was JAGalicious and you argued for months that he was elite.

I never once argued Mostert was "elite".  I merely pointed out a stat (maybe yards after contact?  Can't remember) that he was excellent in, which suggested he was better than JAG level.  He's still the starter for the 49ers for a reason so I think I was right.  :)

In any case he's a big injury risk so I drafted Trey Sermon, not Mostert, onto my fantasy team this year.

21 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Choosing to be really sour?  huh?  I'm not sour at all.  I'm disappointed Coleman is the starter.  He's not good and I'd rather see the other guys.  

That's the point.  We will see other guy(s).  Even if you're right about a 60/40 touch distribution among healthy backs, that still means we're going to see at least one other guy in that "1b" role, no?  And the minute Coleman shows he isn't all that good and/or gets hurt, someone else will easily jump into the mix as well. 

Again, we didn't draft Carter in the 4th round just to not use him as a rookie.  I imagine it'll be Coleman/Ty Johnson as the 1a/1b for now, and later Carter will become one of the 1a/1b.  This coaching staff isn't stupid.  They know Coleman isn't anything special and not going to be a big part of this team's future.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I never once argued Mostert was "elite".  I merely pointed out a stat (maybe yards after contact?  Can't remember) that he was excellent in, which suggested he was better than JAG level.  He's still the starter for the 49ers for a reason so I think I was right.  :)

In any case he's a big injury risk so I drafted Trey Sermon, not Mostert, onto my fantasy team this year.

Cbs No GIF by HULU

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Just shocked he didn't say, "I was chomping at the bit to get rid of this guy the moment I took the job.  Boy were we shocked to get a 2nd round pick for this trash,"  a couple of days before the game.

Joe Douglas wanted Jamal Adams to be a "Jet for life" until he wasn't.