Peter King predicts how the season will unfold for AFC & NFC

Facts

The Lead: 2021 Picks

I’m picking a Rams-Bills Super Bowl.

Obvious rejoinder: What’s wrong with Kansas City and Tampa Bay? You had them ranked 1-2 in the spring. The answer is, Nothing. I really liked the Bills and Rams when I went to their camps.

I think it’s Buffalo’s breakthrough year, and I think Matthew Stafford gives the Rams the kind of offensive confidence and explosiveness they haven’t had since we all thought Jared Goff was The Answer, in early 2018.

More about each in a moment, and some explanations.

Here’s how I see the pennant races, with the wild cards asterisked and teams not in the playoffs last year marked with a # sign:

AFC Seeds
1 Buffalo
2 Kansas City
3 Tennessee
4 Cleveland
5 New England*#
6 L.A. Chargers*#
7 Baltimore*

Wild Card: Kansas City over Baltimore, Chargers over Tennessee, New England over Cleveland.

Divisional: Buffalo over L.A. Chargers, Kansas City over New England.
Conference: Buffalo 27, Kansas City 25.

NFC Seeds
1 Tampa Bay
2 Green Bay
3 L.A. Rams
4 Dallas#
5 San Francisco*#
6 New Orleans*
7 Seattle*

Wild Card: Green Bay over Seattle, L.A. Rams over New Orleans, San Francisco over Dallas.

Divisional: Tampa Bay over San Francisco, L.A. Rams over Green Bay.
Conference: L.A. Rams 30, Tampa Bay 27.

Super Bowl LVI, at Los Angeles, Feb. 13, 2022: L.A. Rams 33, Buffalo 24. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/05/super-bowl-lvi-prediction-nfl-picks-fmia-peter-king/

• Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Peter King is a homer douche. His love of NE taints everything he does. He can't help himself. When King was a weekly host on NFL Network a caller called and asked how the NFL can be fair if the refs are clearly biased towards NE.  King got on his high horse and said that he could "guarantee" that NE did not get additional favor from the refs, and might even be officiated tougher. Then Bob Papa chimed in and said it was "obvious" that NE was treated differently and had a huge advantage in officiating but said it was just the fact that they were so good that the refs did not realize they were doing it. King blew an absolute gasket. It was awesome.

That said any prediction that does not have 4-6 new teams in the playoffs will be wrong. There are always a minimum of 4 and most years 5 or 6. NFL never really tracks year to year. It is because of the schedule and injuries. 

What is remarkable thougn despite all his Foxboro love, is Bellichick and Tom Brady have always treated King like the not very bright fanboy he really is. They have given him absolutely nothing, kept him at arms length, and treated him like the mushroom(keep him in the dark and throw poop his way) he really is. 

Don't pretend to know how things will turn out. Cautious optimism, becase we at least have a HC with a clue.  But would love to be able to bet against anything King blathers on about. 

• Upvote 1

The Pats have a top 5 best defense in the NFL. I get we hate the Pats but they were top 10 last year and returned Hightower and added Judon. Remember the Jets with Sanchez? Saying that the Pats will make the playoffs this year,  especially with the extra spot, is not crazy in my opinion. I obviously hope they don't but King isn't crazy here. 

33 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The Pats have a top 5 best defense in the NFL. I get we hate the Pats but they were top 10 last year and returned Hightower and added Judon. Remember the Jets with Sanchez? Saying that the Pats will make the playoffs this year,  especially with the extra spot, is not crazy in my opinion. I obviously hope they don't but King isn't crazy here. 

No Gilmore. No real team speed. Pats are not a top team. Will be exposed by good teams.

• Post of the Week 1

People are underrating the Pats.

They're no longer contenders but people are discounting 1) how much Newton sucked last year and 2) how many opt outs they had.

Their defense will be very good and if Mac Jones can be solid they'll be a good/competitive team that is a tough out.

Whether they can make the playoffs kind of depends what other teams (Dolphins, Steelers, Colts, Chargers, Broncos) who are theoretically in the wild card race look like. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/6/2021 at 12:06 PM, Facts said:

The Lead: 2021 Picks

I’m picking a Rams-Bills Super Bowl.

Obvious rejoinder: What’s wrong with Kansas City and Tampa Bay? You had them ranked 1-2 in the spring. The answer is, Nothing. I really liked the Bills and Rams when I went to their camps.

I think it’s Buffalo’s breakthrough year, and I think Matthew Stafford gives the Rams the kind of offensive confidence and explosiveness they haven’t had since we all thought Jared Goff was The Answer, in early 2018.

More about each in a moment, and some explanations.

Here’s how I see the pennant races, with the wild cards asterisked and teams not in the playoffs last year marked with a # sign:

AFC Seeds
1 Buffalo
2 Kansas City
3 Tennessee
4 Cleveland
5 New England*#
6 L.A. Chargers*#
7 Baltimore*

Wild Card: Kansas City over Baltimore, Chargers over Tennessee, New England over Cleveland.

Divisional: Buffalo over L.A. Chargers, Kansas City over New England.
Conference: Buffalo 27, Kansas City 25.

NFC Seeds
1 Tampa Bay
2 Green Bay
3 L.A. Rams
4 Dallas#
5 San Francisco*#
6 New Orleans*
7 Seattle*

Wild Card: Green Bay over Seattle, L.A. Rams over New Orleans, San Francisco over Dallas.

Divisional: Tampa Bay over San Francisco, L.A. Rams over Green Bay.
Conference: L.A. Rams 30, Tampa Bay 27.

Super Bowl LVI, at Los Angeles, Feb. 13, 2022: L.A. Rams 33, Buffalo 24. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/05/super-bowl-lvi-prediction-nfl-picks-fmia-peter-king/

Ridiculously safe predictions.  Not exactly going out on a limb.

so let's get this straight.  stafford who's been to one or so play off games in his career is suddenly going to win 3 in  a row on his way to the superbowl?  doubtful.  i don't like tommy boy but his teams find ways to win and he's a big part of it.  as for the patsies making the playoffs, you just can't count them out.  it's going to be tough with a rookie qb but i don't think that team has ever been structured to need a top qb to win.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

so let's get this straight.  stafford who's been to one or so play off games in his career is suddenly going to win 3 in  a row on his way to the superbowl?  doubtful.  i don't like tommy boy but his teams find ways to win and he's a big part of it.  as for the patsies making the playoffs, you just can't count them out.  it's going to be tough with a rookie qb but i don't think that team has ever been structured to need a top qb to win.

Stafford the greatest ever qb to never win a playoff game despite having the greatest WR of all time to throw to for 7 years