Defensive Game Plan (CAR)

KRL

1 hour ago, KRL said:

It's pretty simple in my book, focus on McCaffery and stop the run.  He only played
three games last year and had no touches in the pre-season, let's hope he's rusty.
After that we have to exploit Darnold's biggest weakness which is pressure up the
middle when he's passing.  As all Jet fans know his worst games are when Darnold
has pressure in his lap, his footwork/mechanics break down and he throws off his
back foot.  With one of CAR starting guards being ruled out: 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32160800/carolina-panthers-rg-john-miller-covid-19-list-week-1

It's time to see Williams & Rankins go to work and see blitzing up the middle from
Mosley

With the issues on their offensive line I'm expecting them to move the pocket a lot to try to negate the pressure inside. 

• Upvote 2

Brady is a good enough OC to take advantage of our rookie LBs with screens and crossers which is going to be a legitimate issue given the speed Carolina has with DJ Moore, Robby and Cmac.

We really need to be able to stop the run and limit the screen game so Sam is in 3rd and long which should benefit the Jets, even with an inexperienced LB/CB group.  Hopefully Maye. Joyner and Mosley can help cover up some of the inexperience we have because they are a very good group up the middle - its the outside where the problems are.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, KRL said:

It's pretty simple in my book, focus on McCaffery and stop the run.  He only played
three games last year and had no touches in the pre-season, let's hope he's rusty.
After that we have to exploit Darnold's biggest weakness which is pressure up the
middle when he's passing.  As all Jet fans know his worst games are when Darnold
has pressure in his lap, his footwork/mechanics break down and he throws off his

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32160800/carolina-panthers-rg-john-miller-covid-19-list-week-1

It's time to see Williams & Rankins go to work and see blitzing up the middle from
Mosley

I expect productive pressure from Fatukasi as well.  He's actually quietly effective on passing downs as well.  Their IOL is a mess so it's no secret we'll be attacking that so I also expect a lot of designed rollouts and RPO elements to buy Sam that extra second he almost certainly will need.  Gonna need the outside guys to play smart and harry him every time.

My biggest concern is that Robby is going to burn our young CBs once or twice if we can't establish ourselves in their backfield early.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

All the Jets need to do to limit the Carolina Offense is (as mentioned) pressure Darnold. Keep stunting Q and send a LB through the A gaps every series. Darnold will take the sack or dump off to a check down where the improved speed of the defense should be able to contain. 

The defensive run game is where Jets have looked weak thus far, but they should bring Maye into the box and just don’t let Robbie beat you deep off a play action. My 2¢

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Saleh's D's are not designed to blitz.

If the Jets are Blitzing over, and over it means the wheels have come off.

Agree, Saleh's defenses are not designed to blitz a lot but he also doesn't rush only the same 4 guys. You will often see one of the DL's drop into coverage and an OLB or Safety rush the QB. He like to send those speed guys from time to time.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Saleh's D's are not designed to blitz.

If the Jets are Blitzing over, and over it means the wheels have come off.

I agree, but he doesn’t have the luxury to simply play his base defense because he doesn’t have the players to execute it properly. 
Jets are weak at DE - let alone an effective pass rushing one- and have no depth or experience at LB. 

Adapt or die, and Saleh has to come up with a new way to increase pressure on the QB, because the front four alone won’t generate that pressure on their own with JFM, Foley/Rankins, Q, and ShaqLawson/Huff. Thus, I expect him to blitz more to generate a pass rush. The secondary will have to suck it up and hold when exposed more by the blitz. 

• Upvote 1

I think the following will be true: 

1) The Jets should be able to pressure Darnold w/o blitzing - our IDL is our strength and their IOL is their weakness. 

2) We should have success rushing the ball - last year the Panthers were 5th worst in the league in terms of YPC and they didn't make any major additions that should help this in this area - we need to run early and run often to take pressure off ZW and keep Carolina's offense on the sidelines 

3) Carolina's WRs will present a problem if we can't get to Darnold.

So ultimately I believe if we can find success in the run game - especially early - we have a real shot to win on Sunday. If we can get out to a lead it'll make the game a lot easier as we can lean on the run game and force Carolina to pass more - allowing our D-line to focus on getting to Darnold and causing havoc. Once we establish a lead and a run game it'll make life easier for ZW and allow him to find success with PA. 

I worry about CMC in open space - but I do think one of the benefits of our newer smaller LB corps will be their speed - and hopefully we can reduce chunk plays off of screens and sweeps to the outside. I think it'll be a fun game. 

• Upvote 2

Not to change the subject of the post...Curious to see how our special teams look... rookie kicker, can't afford missed xp and chip shot field goals... hope we can get a big kick return or a couple of nice punt returns...also Curious how our discipline will be...stupid penalties, etc... that will certainly help the defense

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, KRL said:

Mosley

set the edge on defense, if McCaffery can get in space and to the second level, we are going to be in deep sh*t.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, frankiepapa said:

Not to change the subject of the post...Curious to see how our special teams look... rookie kicker, can't afford missed xp and chip shot field goals... hope we can get a big kick return or a couple of nice punt returns...also Curious how our discipline will be...stupid penalties, etc... that will certainly help the defense

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Good points all- I'm hoping the better coaching and elimination of dumb penalties (the delay of games, illegal formations, too many men, false starts, etc.) will translate into winning field position, so that the O and D are consistently put in better field position. The playbook/options shrink when you are backed up against an end zone - whether you are going the length of the field, or defending a short one.

I agree.  Acutally I thik the key to this game - on both sides of the ball -- is for us to win the line of scrimmage defensively, as discussed in this thread, and also on the offensive side.  Control the line of srimmage, run the ball, open up play-action and don't put too much pressure on Zach to be the hero.

3 hours ago, Jethead said:

Agree, Saleh's defenses are not designed to blitz a lot but he also doesn't rush only the same 4 guys. You will often see one of the DL's drop into coverage and an OLB or Safety rush the QB. He like to send those speed guys from time to time.

With the OLB's being converted Safeties I would expect in certain situations Guidry will be rushing the passer from the Slot.

That being said i expect to see a lot of sweeps to test the outside of the Jets D .. if those guys can hold this D has the chance to be special. Right now our Run defense worries me even more than the CB's where I think we will actually be Okay

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, KRL said:

Mosley

Good plan but I have to say that all QBs are weak against pressure up the middle. To be honest I think edge pressure has way less impact than people think. Offenses in today's NFL are designed specifically to account for an even exploit edge pressure. I saw a thing that each sack is only worth about .2 points so pressures are worth even less. I am not saying it is not valuable I just think it is way overrated. I did a post once looking at the correlation between winning and sacks and having an elite edge rusher and there really was none. What is important is red zone and 3rd down defense. Sacks are like this gigantic exclamation point,  but really most times they just end a drive. Strip sacks are certainly valuable but they happen even less than regular ones.  

But pressure up the middle wrecks everything about an offense. There is nothing to account for it and not much a QB can do. It's what makes Donald so valuable. He gets pressure from everywhere especially up the middle and it destroys defenses. Even Watt as many sacks as he had made a bigger impact with blocked passes than he did with sacks.

The Jets have a chance to get a lot of pressure up the middle. If that happens our defense will be way stronger than people think it will be.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BCJet said:

Brady is a good enough OC to take advantage of our rookie LBs with screens and crossers which is going to be a legitimate issue given the speed Carolina has with DJ Moore, Robby and Cmac.

We really need to be able to stop the run and limit the screen game so Sam is in 3rd and long which should benefit the Jets, even with an inexperienced LB/CB group.  Hopefully Maye. Joyner and Mosley can help cover up some of the inexperience we have because they are a very good group up the middle - its the outside where the problems are.

Brady showed very little with Bridgewater. As conservative as Teddy is why would we think that he will be more successful with Sam. Teddy is a better QB. Sam is much more aggressive but also doesn't really protect the ball. Maybe Burrow was just good and it did not have as much to do with Brady as everyone assumes

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, KRL said:

Mosley

what about shaw and ward?

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

In 3 years I've never seen Sam throw one into the stands.  I have seen him run out of bounds 10 yards behind the LOS though.....just saying.   

Sam Darnold with an INSANE TD RUN! - YouTube

GAME HIGHLIGHTS: Sam Darnold to Braxton Berrios for a 30-Yard Touchdown | New York Jets | NFL - YouTube

Sam Darnold Scrambles Around FOREVER Before Tossing Amazing TD! - YouTube

Just saying.

Control the line and take away the run game. Make Darnold beat you passing. The D will make its mistakes, but so will Darnold. Have Mosely spy Darnold, and attack him when he see's an opportunity. Darnold will misread Mosely blitzing or dropping into zone a few times. The young D simply needs to swarm to the ball and play aggressive.  They'll make mistakes, but their aggression and speed will enable them to make big plays too.   

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1