Jets will win Sunday against the Panthers 31-27. And a star is born!

Alka

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I can't wait to see what the excuses will be when he sucks!

And if he doesn't?

If he actually plays well and helps the Panthers beat the Jets....what then?

I certainly know what excuses I will read here (some of them will be legit even) should that happen....

Quite honestly, I'm ready to be disappointed by this team like they always have been year after year...decade after decade. ?

• Upvote 1

On 9/7/2021 at 10:12 PM, Litez said:

Just so you know, Pride JR is out for the year and Bouye will be missing the first few games. They also cut Raashan Melvin.  Donte Jackson is actually the only CB on their team with NFL experience! Sound familiar? Dont get me wrong Horn is going to be legit. But its fair to assume he will struggle initially. I think both team's cornerbacks will struggle. I do really like Saleh's/Ulbrich's Double A Gap scheme on 3rd downs which I think will get us off the field a lot even with our CB play. Watching enough of Sam through the years I do think he's going to struggle vs that look because pressure can come from so many different areas. He's not great at reading blitz looks, setting the protections properly and obviously not great vs the pressure in general.

Speaking of pressure, I think youre underrating Sheldon Rankins big time. Rankins and Q are going to go wild vs that horrific Panthers O Line. Besides Morton, those other 4 out there are like Jets 2019 bad. We know how Sam looked that year even with Robby and Crowder. That interior pressure is going to win us this game. We're going to show blitz a lot and try to confuse that O Line which I think we will be able to do. Mug the gaps to avoid them from being able to freely double Q. If they do want to double Quinnen we're going to blitz up the middle with the same look and get free runners at Sam. We know how Sam looks when that happens ? .

Its all about winning both sides of the trenches and having better QB play and I strongly think we win both of those. I know youre concerned with the Panthers pass rush. On pure pass downs we will be in big trouble trying to block Reddick and Burns. But I'll say this.. The Panthers are in big trouble themselves with our glaring mismatch. And that mismatch is Becton and Moses against Burns and Reddick in the run game. We can mediate their pass rush with a good run game and I honestly dont see how Carolina can stop our run with Burns and Reddick pinning their ears back every play. Its just not going to happen if LaFleur is smart with his playcalling. We will tire them out and that will open up the playaction game. If we can stay in manageable run/pass downs and barely get into long down situations we are going to be fine. Their Run Defense in general is not scary at all to me.

Panthers on the other hand I really dont think they will be able to do much vs our D Line. Its not like they can just simply run the ball on us on early downs like you think they will be able to because of a preseason game you watched. Q, Foley, and Shaq Lawson in there is going to be night and day to what you saw vs the Packers. We cant let opposing O linemen get to the 2nd level on our small LBs. I dont think thats going to happen often Sunday. Q, Foley, and Shaq are all excellent run stuffers. Going against that Oline even with CMac I think we're going to stop the inside run well and force them to have to run outside to Morton's side which will quickly become predictable. CMac will get loose on some runs for sure and will definitely be a problem with check down passes in the flats vs our zone. Its going to come down to us hopefully being able to tackle him well enough and limit the YAC. Praying its Mosley or Nas on him and not Sherwood.

Every position that looks like a weakness for the Jets I look at the other side and they have a similar weakness. Like our LBs for example are very concerning but I mean who the hell do the Panthers have at Linebacker? Shaq Thompson is washed man. We still do have Mosley at the end of the day and I think he still has a lot of gas left in the tank.

Moral of my story... We are winning this game.

Good post. Send this to NFL Network.

On 9/8/2021 at 12:58 PM, Vin said:

I think a better question would be :  Does Carolina need Sam Darnold to throw for 400 yards to help them win?  I'm not sure they do.  *shrugs*

Sam has never thrown for 350 yards either in his career.  Sunday would be his first.  

• Haha 3

It sure would be great to have a big, impressive opening day, a win driven directly by our rookie QB.  That would be awesome.

Sunday can't come soon enough, we'll finally get to start seeing the real Zack Wilson, in live-fire, vs. real opponents.  Wilson has really looked good so far, I'm hopeful, nay, optimistic even, that he can continue that show vs. Carolina.

Exciting times! :cheers:

Hell, I even started Wilson on my Fantasy Football team this week, over Mayfield.  Lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 9/7/2021 at 11:40 AM, JiFapono said:

First off, I didnt say worst ever.  I said worst I've seen on paper.  And well, I'm not backing off from statement.  You have 1 somewhat elite player  in Q. Will and the rest is JAG mania.  Maye is good, not great player they have no interest in resigning.  Joyner is old and slow and often injured and has created 4 turnovers in 6 years the last one coming 3 years ago.  lol  Mosley hasnt played Football in 2 years.  

It's really bad.   The only team on paper that I think might be equally as bad is the Bengals.  

955CCCA4-1396-4933-92F1-EFBC3DB3612E.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It sure would be great to have a big, impressive opening day, a win driven directly by our rookie QB.  That would be awesome.

Sunday can't come soon enough, we'll finally get to start seeing the real Zack Wilson, in live-fire, vs. real opponents.  Wilson has really looked good so far, I'm hopeful, nay, optimistic even, that he can continue that show vs. Carolina.

Exciting times! :cheers:

Hell, I even started Wilson on my Fantasy Football team this week, over Mayfield.  Lol.

I have seen into the future, and the Jets will win on Sunday.

The following Sunday will be opening day at home against the Patriots.  I will be in attendance, and the stadium will be rocking, especially starting the season 1-0, and welcoming in Zach Wilson and our new coaching staff!  As I expect my prediction to be correct, you will have the privilege of viewing my 2nd prediction thread against the Patriots.  I can't wait!  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Wondering if Gase will be watching this game? He’ll probably be on some bench drawing up plays for Gore on 3rd and 2.

Did any team pick up Gore for this season, or is he hoping that the Jets will call him at some point?

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

You forget your keys?

Perhaps our D is better than people think and Saleh is the master of schemes/pressures/compensation.  All it will take are a few three-and-outs for Darnold to start to choke and if Zach and Mike can put up a couple TD's Panther panic will set in.  This is a game that can easily be won in the 1st quarter by either team.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Perhaps our D is better than people think and Saleh is the master of schemes/pressures/compensation.  All it will take are a few three-and-outs for Darnold to start to choke and if Zach and Mike can put up a couple TD's Panther panic will set in.  This is a game that can easily be won in the 1st quarter by either team.

SAR I

Pressure you the middle early on Sam is all it should take. Last nights game was an awesome display of how absolutely more important scoring is and secondaries are officially obsolete.  The NFFL :The Nation Fantasy Football League!

44 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Pressure you the middle early on Sam is all it should take. Last nights game was an awesome display of how absolutely more important scoring is and secondaries are officially obsolete.  The NFFL :The Nation Fantasy Football League!

Exactly right.  Suddenly it all makes sense.  Wilson, a stack of playmaking WR's, and a K is all it takes.  So long as we put up 48, who cares what our opponents do?

SAR I

• Upvote 1

Sadly, the pessimists appear to have a good read on our defense. It is not merely that we have youth on the outside, they have thus far not inspired confidence. During the preseason, outside receivers were often open. Yet, what troubled me the most, much to my surprise, was the play of our linebackers, especially on the outside. Our youngsters there were often able to get near the ball, but too often they simply missed tackles or were pushed around. Their inability to dominate either against linemen (and our guys are smallish, so this is no surprise), they also seemed to have trouble with backs blocking them and with backs breaking tackles. 

My bet is that the jets will need to pick-up veteran CBs (where?) and LBs--the Dline is good and safeties are better than what others above mentioned. Maye is outstanding, not just above average. CBs and LMs just do not cut it--up the middle--who knows how Mosley will play. Thus far, what I have seen is a guy that cut considerable weight and is still having a tough time keeping up with backs and TEs--what adds to my concern is that I do not see the old-dominant presence he had as a larger LM---Thus, I think our D will stink.

I have been waiting nearly half a century for us to catch a break and become elite. Sadly, I think we have to wait yet another year or two. Finally, I am optimistic about the offense. Zack appears to be the real deal. Perhaps we can outgun everyone else? Fingers crossed--classic eternal optimistic Jets fan. 

22 hours ago, Alka said:

Sam has never thrown for 350 yards either in his career.  Sunday would be his first.  

My point was that on that team he's on now, he won't have to play Hero-Ball 'cause he has better options to throw to.   That's all I was alluding to.

21 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Hey SAR, long-time-no-see.    Maybe you're right and the D will run roughshod over the Panthers O-Line but can it do it consistently?  

Jets D-Backs need to be in their backfield for Sam to start seeing Ghosts again.

Otherwise, if they only manage to do it sparingly, then the other times when they don't get to Sam, he'll be completing passes to YAC-monsters like Robby, DJ Moore, Terrace Marshal Jr. and Christian McCaffrey.     

Too many times I've seen with past Jets teams (even in years where they were "watchable") is the inability to get to the QB.

You know how long it's been since the Jets had an actual Pass-Rusher?   John Abraham is still the "most recent" that comes to mind.  Jesus....

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Vin said:

Otherwise, if they only manage to do it sparingly, then the other times when they don't get to Sam, he'll be completing passes to YAC-monsters like Robby, DJ Moore, Terrace Marshal Jr. and Christian McCaffrey.     

Wow, I guess the Jets don't have a shot!?  When the Jets had both Darnold and Robby, i imagine the Jets must have won almost every game they played? And Christian McCaffrey?  Wow.

The Jets don't have any great players on their team, do they?  The offensive line and defensive lines are just not important, are they?

It really comes down to if Darnold will have the time to complete his passes, and if the defensive backfield is as incompetent as many think they will be.  

I think that games are won and lost in the trenches, and I really believe that the defensive line will be able to penetrate the offensive line of the Panthers.  Darnold is a good QB, but when has he ever proven to be great?  If he were Tom Brady, or one of the top 15 QBs in the league, then I would feel differently. 

Will the Jets have the time to manage sparingly to complete passes?  If only Sam Darnold will complete passes sparingly, then I would agree with you, then the Jets are in trouble.

On 9/7/2021 at 9:59 AM, ScarletKnight89 said:

Sam isn't very good but he's not incapable of having a good game. We've seen him do it before. The Jets are likely going to have trouble getting to the QB with Carl Lawson and Vinny Curry both out for the year and our corners are extremely young and inexperienced. 

This game is setup for Sam Darnold to play well in. 

We're going to need Sam to do Sam things and make mistakes and we need our offense to play well. 

I saw Sam have two good games.  Colts vs. Luck.  Packers vs. A-Rodg.  That’s it.  

He had a few good halves every once in a while… but only two solid full games in 3 years.

He sucks, and won’t play 4 quality quarters tomorrow either.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I saw Sam have two good games.  Colts vs. Luck.  Packers vs. A-Rodg.  That’s it.  

He had a few good halves every once in a while… but only two solid full games in 3 years.

He sucks, and won’t play 4 quality quarters tomorrow either.

He doesn't need to play 4 quality quarters to win a football game. He just needs to be good enough in any given game to win.

Sam's development, or lack of it, is irrelevant to me now because he is no longer a Jet. But he is definitely capable of playing good enough against our team tomorrow to win. Hopefully he doesn't play well, like he's done for most of his career, and we beat him and the Panthers.  

• Upvote 1