Who will the starting corners be?

Slikmojet!

I’m guessing Echols to man the outside and Guidry as the slot. Guidry has a year on Carter and played well in PS. Dunn took a step back in live action, he needs a year in the weight room and more learning, same for Pinnock and Carter. Echols looked like the most pro ready of the four I think, and he has the best ball skills, might be a ballhawk type CB. 

We’ll see but I think whoever it is they start they feel very good about since they let go Bless Austin, and while he wasn’t great he still showed good upside. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

11 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

I’m guessing Echols to man the outside and Guidry as the slot. Guidry has a year on Carter and played well in PS. Dunn took a step back in live action, he needs a year in the weight room and more learning, same for Pinnock and Carter. Echols looked like the most pro ready of the four I think, and he has the best ball skills, might be a ballhawk type CB. 

We’ll see but I think whoever it is they start they feel very good about since they let go Bless Austin, and while he wasn’t great he still showed good upside. 

i think thats a fare qustine but i like to Zach wilson and tuker and see whats the play book of sala

12 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

I agree. Week 1 it will be Hall and Echols outside, with Guidry in the slot. 

Hall and Guidry are good young vets, and Echols was impressive in pre-season.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Still made no sense to let Asutin go.  Echols and Hall start, but where is the depth behind them. At least Austin provided some depth and experience.  

I don't think Austin wanted a reduced role. Officially the coaching staff said they didn't want to ask him to take a lesser role and wanted him to have the chance to catch on with another team. Read through it. I've never met anyone who would rather be outright fired than at least given the choice of a reduced role instead.

12 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Still made no sense to let Asutin go.  Echols and Hall start, but where is the depth behind them. At least Austin provided some depth and experience.  

I don't think for a second that they would release him if they felt that he could contribute more than the younger guys. This was Saleh's call, and JD agreed. The 2021 season is all about evaluation and growth. Bless is not in the future plans, so there is no use having him take up a roster spot. Bless playing lights out is not moving the needle this year or next. Having the young guys learn in the lion's den is going to make them grow up fast. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, David Harris said:

Hughes has a feeling that something went south with Bless Austin. He can’t get any Jets to talk but gets that feel.  He sat out the Packers game for personal reasons yet was on the sideline, he wasn’t away at a sick family member and then he was cut.  There’s a story there.

but anyway I think it’ll be Echols, been some talk of Guidry going outside and MC2 playing slot

without Lawson pressuring we are going to get lit up outside 

I believe this. Either something they just didn’t like about him, or he had some sort of incident. Don’t think it’s in JD or Saleh’s DNA to badmouth any player, so who knows if we’ll ever find out. It’s disappointing, I was rooting for Bless, but there’s definitely a lot more to this than the official story. 

And, also, they probably do like the guys they added to specifically fit the scheme. There’ll be some ugly plays, no doubt, but I’m not anticipating the complete disaster that some are predicting. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

I'm with @slats and @David Harris  I think something was going on.  I mentioned it one of the other Bless Austin threads, but the day off against the Packers and the fact they held him for an extra day, but they cut him while bringing back guys that they cut previously seems to indicate something behind the scenes. 

If you check out his social media, there is a bunch of stuff discussing things like how he is "a different cat" and "doesn't think like other people."  Those are the kinds of things that may be positives when you are an artist, but football coaches generally want puppets that will do exactly what they are told, exactly when they are told.  Puppets that will do what the coach wants only way faster and harder than the coach ever could   I am guessing Austin was not 100% buying in.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm with @slats and @David Harris  I think something was going on.  I mentioned it one of the other Bless Austin threads, but the day off against the Packers and the fact they held him for an extra day, but they cut him while bringing back guys that they cut previously seems to indicate something behind the scenes. 

If you check out his social media, there is a bunch of stuff discussing things like how he is "a different cat" and "doesn't think like other people."  Those are the kinds of things that may be positives when you are an artist, but football coaches generally want puppets that will do exactly what they are told, exactly when they are told.  Puppets that will do what the coach wants only way faster and harder than the coach ever could   I am guessing Austin was not 100% buying in.

Or he was talking too much about getting his next contract.  No way they were going to pay him a lot, and after the whole adams thing maybe they just figured he’s not good enough to want to deal with his whining.

• Upvote 1

Hall and presumably Echols/Dunn on the outside. The Jets are in love with both of the latter guys.

Frankly I think you'll see lots of action out of both nickels. Guidry is the only one who can keep up with Robby, so let's hope he's on him all Sunday long and Carter will be in the mix too.

With a ridiculous amount of young guys, this is a weird way to manage one of the most important positions on defense. That said, instead of high priced vets like recent years, it's a very young CB group that has a chance to grow together in the system - and their cheap contracts provide huge cap flexibility if they emerge as legit starters.

It's totally boom or bust and that's oddly exciting. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, David Harris said:

Hughes has a feeling that something went south with Bless Austin. He can’t get any Jets to talk but gets that feel.  He sat out the Packers game for personal reasons yet was on the sideline, he wasn’t away at a sick family member and then he was cut.  There’s a story there.

but anyway I think it’ll be Echols, been some talk of Guidry going outside and MC2 playing slot

without Lawson pressuring we are going to get lit up outside 

I think he was complaining about playing time. And with QW and Rankins, Shaq and JFM the Defensive line is a strength... don't forget Huff on the edge too... The LBs are going to be picked apart by McCaffery though... thats a weakness that will be exploited... Its going to be a high scoring game.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Or he was talking too much about getting his next contract.  No way they were going to pay him a lot, and after the whole adams thing maybe they just figured he’s not good enough to want to deal with his whining.

he was probably walking after this season unless he got paid.  the jets did him a favor.

10 minutes ago, rangerous said:

he was probably walking after this season unless he got paid.  the jets did him a favor.

He signed a 4 year contract in 2019.  He wasn't going anywhere after this season unless we wanted him to go somewhere.  He only signed a one year deal with the Seahawks, but even so, he will only be an RFA after the season.  He only has 2 years of accrued service.  They can tender him and he can't do **** all about it until 2023

• Upvote 1