our rbs are trash

kmnj

Running back is a young man's position.  This is a good group of young, fresh legs (aside from Coleman who is the veteran presence).

It's going to be a full blown committee approach, and I think they will be effective.  Based on the camp reports and what we witnessed in the preseason, the running game was a strength.

People get too hung up on big names.  This system is designed to make the name, and the Jets have a stable full of hungry, adequately talented, low mileage players.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Oh yeah, we didn't have a third. Forgot about that. So aside from that small detail...

I don’t necessarily agree with you. Adams, Johnson, Coleman are more than adequate for this offensive scheme. We haven’t even played one game yet and you’re coming out with a blanket statement. How about we take a look at things At the by week? Then we can get on our soapbox and start bragging on our players.

Tevin Coleman averaged 4.0 in 2019.  Frank Gore averaged 4.0 or better one time since 2014.  Tevin Coleman had 28 carries in 2020.  Small sample size does not bother you there, but for it does for the 54 Ty Johnson had last year and the 117 he had in his career?

They didn't do anything except add AVT, Morgan Moses, and Michael Carter in addition to the Coleman (started for SF) and Feeney (started for Chargers) signings that presumably do not meet your approval.  I mean that plus the completely new system.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

We haven’t even played one game yet and you’re coming out with a blanket statement. How about we take a look at things At the by week? Then we can get on our soapbox and start bragging on our players.

The original poster said JD did nothing to improve the running game. I brought up the things that have changed. It wasn't a blanket statement it was a list of things JD did that should help the run game. I even said we'll see if those changes show up on the field, but that clearly JD made moves that should help the run game. I didn't get on a soapbox bragging about anyone. I stated that we drafted a player in the third round, you corrected me as it was the fourth round. I didn't know stating the round a player was drafted in, particularly a mid round, was bragging.

Please tell me which of the lines below is a blanket statement or bragging about a player... Clearly none of it. Maybe you were thinking of a different post.

Drafted and signed players leading to a potentially vastly better o-line. Check!

Drafted a play making RB at the top of the third round of this year's draft. Check! (Sorry 4th round. Thanks Boozer)

Brought in a different run scheme. Check!

Won't be force feeding the ball to a 40 year old RB. Check!

Seems like you're wrong. Maybe none of it shows up on field, but to say JD did nothing is laughable.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

our "number one rb" averaged 1.9 yards last year and has run like he had a piano on his back the past few years

our "number two rb" is at best an unknown with under 300 yards and only one td in his brief history

I keep hearing the jets are going to be a run team like the niners were-really who is going to be doing the running?

Perine is trash too

Joe has done nothing to improve our running game vs last year -a washed gore = a washed coleman 

on the plus side Wilson will be throwing all over the place as the passing game is going to be the only thing working for the jets so hopefully is becomes our franchise QB we all hope and pray for

I only disagree with about 87% of this. lol

I'm not going to claim the Jets have a stable of stud RBs, and there's no Derrick Henry or Alvin Kamara on this team.  BUT, what they do have is a young, talented and complementary mix of players.  Tevin Coleman is the defacto veteran starter but I'll be shocked if he's getting at least 50% of the touches by Week 3 or 4.  I'm expecting either one of Ty Johnson or Michael Carter to have stepped up by mid season and be the guy carrying the mail for this team.  Perine is still a bit of an unknown, but I don't think the Jets were wrong to keep him on the team.

What a lot of people don't realize is that the most important talent for the rushing game in THIS SCHEME is not the RB, it's the OLine.  This outside/widezone, one-cut or whatever you want to call it rushing attack is based on timing and synchronization of the OLine.  We'll find the right guy who can make that one cut and hit the right hole.... that's all you really need.

The 2019-2020 SF 49ers didn't have a Christian McCaffrey, Ezekiel Elliott, Nick Chubb, etc.   They had three guys.... Tevin Coleman, Matt Breida, Raheem Mostert.   None of them averaged below 4.0 yards per rush.  They went to the Super Bowl.

I think I'd put Tevin Coleman, Breida and Mostert up against Tevin Coleman, Ty Johnson and Michael Carter without thinking there's a huge difference.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

I'm Going on a Cleanse - Birthday Cake Body

What's wrong with trash?

Oh, I love trash! 
Anything dirty or dingy or dusty 
Anything ragged or rotten or rusty 
Yes, I love trash 

I have here a sneaker that's tattered and worn 
It's all full of holes and the laces are torn 
A gift from my mother the day I was born 
I love it because it's trash 

Oh, I love trash! 
Yes, I love trash 

I have here some newspaper thirteen months old 
I wrapped fish inside it; it's smelly and cold 
But I wouldn't trade it for a big pot o' gold! 
I love it because it's trash 

Oh, I love trash! 
Yes, I love trash 

I've a clock that won't work 
And an old telephone 
A broken umbrella, a rusty trombone 
And I am delighted to call them my own! 
I love them because they're trash 

Oh, I love trash! 
Yes, I love, I love, I love trash!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

our "number one rb" averaged 1.9 yards last year and has run like he had a piano on his back the past few years

our "number two rb" is at best an unknown with under 300 yards and only one td in his brief history

I keep hearing the jets are going to be a run team like the niners were-really who is going to be doing the running?

Perine is trash too

Joe has done nothing to improve our running game vs last year -a washed gore = a washed coleman 

on the plus side Wilson will be throwing all over the place as the passing game is going to be the only thing working for the jets so hopefully is becomes our franchise QB we all hope and pray for

Zero chance this is a Jets fan.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Schefter reporting that he is expected to be added to the 53.  So long as he is not on our roster, that works for me.

Apparently the Ravens just signed THE Trenton Cannon to their active roster.

One Jet reject taking the potential roster spot of another Jet reject! :D  

• Haha 2

On 9/8/2021 at 11:22 AM, kmnj said:

Perine is trash too

'Our', you don't play on the team... Nor are you a fan of the jets... Move on

• Post of the Week 1

the oline will dictate how good the rb's play.  they're good enough to be in this system.  carter and johnson are both fast enough and are good pass receivers.  the main issue with any back will be his ability to pass protect.  if they can stick it to the free runner then they'll really work out.

9 hours ago, kmnj said:

Perine is trash too

That's a whole lot of words for "I don't understand our offense"

• Upvote 2