our rbs are trash

kmnj

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

1) If you think RBs are interchangeable, you didn't watch McCaffrey.

2) Given the complete lack of effectiveness of our RBs, which I will partially lay on the OL, I am banging the desk to give Josh Adams a few carries.  He was the most effective guy last season and during this preseason.  Or do we have to watch a few more weeks of Coleman and Carter running into walls.

cmac is a joy to watch-dude is elite with tons of heart

we will continue to watch coleman run out there with the piano on his back just like we did all last year with gore

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed, Coleman shouldn’t be getting those short yardage touches.  Carter looked decent and I think once Perine comes back we’ll see him get a lot of those.  

yea agreed, perine is destined to be the short yardage back,  I would have thought though after watching carter drag brown for like 3 yards when he was stopped for no gain would have persuaded them to use him as the short yardage guy that game over coleman as it went on. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/8/2021 at 11:22 AM, kmnj said:

our "number one rb" averaged 1.9 yards last year and has run like he had a piano on his back the past few years

our "number two rb" is at best an unknown with under 300 yards and only one td in his brief history

I keep hearing the jets are going to be a run team like the niners were-really who is going to be doing the running?

Perine is trash too

Joe has done nothing to improve our running game vs last year -a washed gore = a washed coleman 

on the plus side Wilson will be throwing all over the place as the passing game is going to be the only thing working for the jets so hopefully is becomes our franchise QB we all hope and pray for

how was our oline's blocking?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

43 minutes ago, kmnj said:

to the folks that blasted my assessment of our rb situation how do you feel now? is Tevin Coleman all you imagined him to be ? did you enjoy our running "attack" using the 9ers system?

I mean, you're just trolling but if you honestly thought the problem was the RB's on Sunday I don't think you know what you're watching.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I mean, you're just trolling but if you honestly thought the problem was the RB's on Sunday I don't think you know what you're watching.
I think the RB usage seemed suspect ... at least from an outsiders view.

I would have run Carter all day to see what he can do.

Regardless the production was underwhelming... yes the OL contributed to the issue, but some of the greatest RBs ever had crappy OLs.

No idea why Perine is still here ... what am I missing? Did he get fast in the off season ?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I think the RB usage seemed suspect ... at least from an outsiders view.

I would have run Carter all day to see what he can do.

Regardless the production was underwhelming... yes the OL contributed to the issue, but some of the greatest RBs ever had crappy OLs.

No idea why Perine is still here ... what am I missing? Did he get fast in the off season ?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

yea I don't think anyone has been claiming we have barry sanders on the roster.

I too would like to see more of Carter - I think @Biggs probably hit the nail on the head that he needs to be able to pass protect to stay on the field. A lot of rookie backs have work to do there.

25 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

no I am NOT trolling I am DEAD serious and 100% CORRECT-we rushed for like 50 yards and averaged 2.66 ypc and how many tds ? this was against a panther D that was the d you would start all fantasy RBS against last year-their D is bad.

the lack of the  running game directly impacts how teams play on defense -the panthers brought the house vs wilson because they knew our rbs are trash and had zero respect for our rushing attack and the lack of effective check downs to the RBS

Wilson will get killed back their for 2 reasons-our line is bad which I also stated and if teams know you cant run they will blitz like crazy-watch what BB does this weekend. I actually would not even be playing Wilson right now-the team is going no place this year.

I would let him ride the pine and hope Joe can use FA and our large draft capital to bring in a real line and real running backs

if anybody thinks  coleman  is worth starting they are insane-there is a reason the falcons and Niners both let him walk-he is washed-the rb lifespan is a short one-once a guy is washed he is washed-we saw it with Bell you saw it with Gurley-Coleman is trash(and was never elite to start with)  and should not be starting but they will roll him out again just like they did with  Gore.

The young guys should be starting and Coleman  should be released-we are starting a rookie QB no reason not to let our young RBS start and play too-are we going to sit though a full Coleman  season like a full Gore season?

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, kmnj said:

no I am NOT trolling I am DEAD serious and 100% CORRECT-we rushed for like 50 yards and averaged 2.66 ypc and how many tds ? this was against a panther D that was the d you would start all fantasy RBS against last year-their D is bad.

the lack of the  running game directly impacts how teams play on defense -the panthers brought the house vs wilson because they knew our rbs are trash and had zero respect for our rushing attack and the lack of effective check downs to the RBS

Wilson will get killed back their for 2 reasons-our line is bad which I also stated and if teams know you cant run they will blitz like crazy-watch what BB does this weekend. I actually would not even be playing Wilson right now-the team is going no place this year.

I would let him ride the pine and hope Joe can use FA and our large draft capital to bring in a real line and real running backs

The two Moore drops early allowed the Panthers to continue to stack the box.  Had Moore cought those balls the D might have been a little more on their heels?

Zach looks like he's athletic enough and has the arm to make teams pay for blitzing.  He needs guys to catch the ball.  

We have a QB who can make teams pay.  Maybe we should pass the ball to set up the run game instead of the other way around.

19 minutes ago, kmnj said:

The Jets RB's averaged .2 yards before contact on Sunday. With rare exception, the running game is a product of the o-line and the running backs. The line has to create the holes, the back has to hit them. When the backs are averaging a boner of space prior to contact the issue is not RB.

You have to give these guys some time to learn and gel in the new system. Maybe they're still trash after that, but I doubt it.

• Post of the Week 1

36 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

yea I don't think anyone has been claiming we have barry sanders on the roster.

I too would like to see more of Carter - I think @Biggs probably hit the nail on the head that he needs to be able to pass protect to stay on the field. A lot of rookie backs have work to do there.

I hear you on this.  Yet, the jets have invested an early 4th round pick on a rb and a 2nd round pick on a wr in mims, and I’d hate to think the coaches are overthinking the play allocation time by not putting the potentially best playmakers in the game.  I do think it will be quite telling what the coaches plan for this Sunday after seeing how wilson functioned much better in a hurry up offense when he was rolling out and slinging it downfield rather than a plodding predictable pound attack where you had 2nd and 9 much of the time.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The Jets RB's averaged .2 yards before contact on Sunday. With rare exception, the running game is a product of the o-line and the running backs. The line has to create the holes, the back has to hit them. When the backs are averaging a boner of space prior to contact the issue is not RB.

You have to give these guys some time to learn and gel in the new system. Maybe they're still trash after that, but I doubt it.

Our backs are average and the OL is bottom 5, again.

Send a future late round pick to Houston for David Johnson.  At least Zach will have a good receiver safety valve out of the backfield 

45 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The two Moore drops early allowed the Panthers to continue to stack the box.  Had Moore cought those balls the D might have been a little more on their heels?

Zach looks like he's athletic enough and has the arm to make teams pay for blitzing.  He needs guys to catch the ball.  

We have a QB who can make teams pay.  Maybe we should pass the ball to set up the run game instead of the other way around.

The Moore drops and defenses stacking 8 in the box on us is a symptom of bigger problem 

We need to use Mims and Davis both to stretch the field and take advantage of Zach’s accuracy downfield.  Use Mims to try to get behind the defense every play and watch suddenly plenty of space will start opening up for our RBs regardless of blocking 

2 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

Send a future late round pick to Houston for David Johnson.  At least Zach will have a good receiver safety valve out of the backfield 

Don't see catching out of the backfield to be the issues. We need a vet RB who can stay in and competently pass block. A guy like... dare I say it.. Frank Gore.

3 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

Again, we need to give the o-line time to gel in the new system and the rookie OC time to learn how to run it. It is a work in progress and it will evolve. Things don't need to be so black and white with concrete conclusions after one week. 

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Don't see catching out of the backfield to be the issues. We need a vet RB who can stay in and competently pass block. A guy like... dare I say it.. Frank Gore.

All 3 of our rbs combined for 25 yards receiving total while our QB was constantly getting pressured and/or sacked

It’s a problem. 

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Again, we need to give the o-line time to gel in the new system and the rookie OC time to learn how to run it. It is a work in progress and it will evolve. Things don't need to be so black and white with concrete conclusions after one week. 

The problem is even if this OL gels and gets better in pass pro I don’t see a unit that can run block effectively.  Our best run blocker by far is our for the next 2 months

1 minute ago, Albaniajet said:

We need a back who can pass block and make plays as a receiver.  The Texans are still in fire sale mode even after winning and they have 5 backs rostered.  We can pretty much get David Johnson for almost nothing

Ok sign me up anything is better than what we currently have. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

RB Todd Gurley is a free agent and is only 27. 

Dunno if he’s good in pass pro but sure why not have him come in? Although the Ravens took a look this off season and even after their RB Armageddon didn’t sign him…

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

3 RB's that if not on the NY Jets roster possibly not in the NFL. 

RB's are irrelevant in the NFL haven't you heard the battle cry. 

RBs are not irrelevant. There is just not a lot of separation between the 10th and 25th best RBs in the league. Studs are always going to change games.