our rbs are trash

kmnj

13 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Kyle Shanahan started 0-9 in San Francisco before finishing the season strong for a 6-10 season. He followed that up with a 4-12 season and people were saying Lynch and Shanahan were in over their heads. In year 3 they were 13-3 and went to the Super Bowl. It takes time to implement a new system with young players but it can be successful.

Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch I am not saying that Saleh and LaFleur will go to the Super Bowl in year 3, just that it isn’t necessary to panic 3 games into the season.

valid point....Should also be noted however, they lost in OT weeks 4 and 5 and a few other games by a point or two. They were competitive. As you said, went on to win 6 games total. 

The Jets aren't even in these games. 6 wins? Even 4 wins? Not at this rate. We will see. 

21 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Kyle Shanahan started 0-9 in San Francisco before finishing the season strong for a 6-10 season. He followed that up with a 4-12 season and people were saying Lynch and Shanahan were in over their heads. In year 3 they were 13-3 and went to the Super Bowl. It takes time to implement a new system with young players but it can be successful.

Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch I am not saying that Saleh and LaFleur will go to the Super Bowl in year 3, just that it isn’t necessary to panic 3 games into the season.

if Saleh and JD are 6-10 and 4-12 in there 1st 2 seasons they wont get a 3rd here. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Im disappointed in Johnson.  I thought he would be good but Im just not seeing it.  Id like to see Perine and Adams get a shot these next few weeks.

He was a 6th round draft pick who got released by the Detroit Lions….not sure what you expected but he is what he is and you get what you pay for…..6th round backs that get cut don’t usually turn out to be Barry Sanders or Derrick Henry

if you want a good running back, you need to invest in a good running back, either through free agency, trade, or use a high draft pick.

There’s a consistent narrative among fans that you can just plug in any old warm body at running back and get production, especially in the Shanahan system, the same narrative used to be trotted out about OG’s until our line sucked….we are seeing how much of a fallacy that is. There are rare exceptions of course but they are just that, exceptions.

obviously it would help if our OL was any good and clearing out huge holes in the ground game but that’s another argument.

50 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Honestly the Michael Carter duet seems to be a positive ray of light from the draft. Far as I’m concerned. 

both Carters. the CB has played well too. 

with them and if we can have AVT and of course Wilson have a good year we could get 4 good starters from this draft. maybe add Moore. that would be great.

but of course it wont be enough for the JD haters. they will still talk about 2020 and Fant and Feeney till the end of time.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

OL is everything.

A good OL makes your running game better which in turns allows the QB to have more than a millisecond to take the snap and make the right read and throw.

You would think that after years of guys like Mawae, Mangold, Brick, Faneca, Woody opening holes and protecting the QB, they would at least have somewhat of an understanding OL and DL are the most important parts of a football team. 

true. when the line played well against NE, Carter, Johnson and Coleman all avg. over 4 ypc.

the RBs are fine, its the line

41 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Convenient of you to disappear week 2 you twat. Will you disappear again if we run well against the Titans?

Not only that but he starts threads and runs away as if his thoughts are the only ones that matter. Go post your not-so-unique thoughts in another thread like the rest of us

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Convenient of you to disappear week 2 you twat. Will you disappear again if we run well against the Titans?

oh no a keyboard warrior posting from his moms basement-I posted week two plenty and by the way our running attack sucked then too. I will be at the titans game coaches club what about u -hiding in your moms basement  or  a peasant that cant afford tickets

10 minutes ago, kmnj said:

oh no a keyboard warrior posting from his moms basement-I posted week two plenty and by the way our running attack sucked then too. I will be at the titans game coaches club what about u -hiding in your moms basement  or  a peasant that cant afford tickets

you completely ignored the responses in your "our rb's are trash" thread after week 2. Let's take a look. All of our backs averaged over 4YPC in NE and Carter > 5 YPC. I suspect we'll see similar success this week and you'll disappear from the RB conversation.

3 hours ago, Joejet said:

Were his OL allowing free rushers?

Were his WR's running the wrong routes?

Where his WR's dropping 5 to 6 passes a game?

This team isn't just talentless...it's an unmitigated mess...

I'm not saying this team is irriedeamble, but this is not easy to turn around.

RB's are irrelevant in todays NFL that's what many say I strongly disagree. 

But they are. You show me a good RB and I’ll show you a very good offensive line.

RBs have become disposable and interchangeable. One gets hot for a few seasons but ultimately can be shutdown and burn out and not worth investing money or draft picks in

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

8 hours ago, Joejet said:

You are probably right which is why we continually rinse and repeat year after year.

For JD that would be 19 wins in 4 years.  Do you think he should be kept at that point?

If so, if you don't want to rinse and repeat at what point would you say it's time to move on?

Serious question.

I ask because they're no way they're winning 6 games this year, 4 is highly unlikely....

41 minutes ago, funaz said:

But they are. You show me a good RB and I’ll show you a very good offensive line.

RBs have become disposable and interchangeable. One gets hot for a few seasons but ultimately can be shutdown and burn out and not worth investing money or draft picks in

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yes, RB's have a very short lifespan of being dominant.  3 maybe 4 years.

I mean, certainly some are better than others, but I agree - When all's said and done it's about the OL.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

For JD that would be 19 wins in 4 years.  Do you think he should be kept at that point?

If so, if you don't want to rinse and repeat at what point would you say it's time to move on?

Serious question.

I ask because they're no way they're winning 6 games this year, 4 is highly unlikely....

That is an excellent question that I don’t have a definitive answer for. I don’t think it would be out of line to give Saleh at least 3 years to see if he and his staff can show year over year progress in turning this around. If we are going to do that I think JD would have to stay for that time period also. I am not a fan of hiring a new GM and pairing him with an existing coach. This is the first year for this pairing and the first draft class with Saleh’s input. I am not a JD defender or hater, I have the same concerns as a lot of people about his first draft class but I am not totally down on those players yet. I still like Becton, think Mims has a lot of potential, I think Hall is a solid starting CB,I need to see more of Ashtyn Davis also. Unfortunately it appears that Zuniga, Morgan, and Clark because of injury are busted picks. I believe that this draft class holds a lot of promise but of course only time will tell. I know a lot of people disagree and I can respect that, but this is my opinion.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, redlichtie said:

He was a 6th round draft pick who got released by the Detroit Lions….not sure what you expected but he is what he is and you get what you pay for…..6th round backs that get cut don’t usually turn out to be Barry Sanders or Derrick Henry

if you want a good running back, you need to invest in a good running back, either through free agency, trade, or use a high draft pick.

There’s a consistent narrative among fans that you can just plug in any old warm body at running back and get production, especially in the Shanahan system, the same narrative used to be trotted out about OG’s until our line sucked….we are seeing how much of a fallacy that is. There are rare exceptions of course but they are just that, exceptions.

obviously it would help if our OL was any good and clearing out huge holes in the ground game but that’s another argument.

Please tell us what RB today is playing well and having success with poor o-line play.

Barry Sanders is the greatest RB of all time and their a few in history who could do the type of stuff he did. 

Using high draft picks on RBs is a waste in today's NFL.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, LockeJET said:

I think you’re completely wrong. If we win 10 games the next two years, they’ll be up for extensions. 

hey im a supporter. 

it all depends how we look. if were losing 24-21 and losing on last second FGs and TDs then yes cause we look like were just one player away. but if were getting shut out every week....