Zach’s quick release reminds me of Marino

tfine

9 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I for one think ZW has a tremendous arm but I just don't see a Namath or Marino arm ability.

And if I went into the comparing business I would compare him I know... I know don't say it Joe Montanna.  In the sense he has  a very good arm and has excellent movement in and around the pocket.

Indeed for me saying that ZW is like Montanna potential is big since Montanna is my No. 1 QB of All Time.. Screw you.. you know who!!! :) 

So saying that he doesn't have Marino or Namath's arm is not a knock, it is not just what I see.....

But it is ALLLLLLL JUST TALK UNTIL ZW does it on the FIELD!!!.

Joe Montana had 1 of the Most AVERAGE arms in NFL History... Montana was exceptionally accurate, exceptionally bright, threw a beautiful ball & ran a great system... I think he was 1 of the Greatest QB's in NFL History... but his arm???... meh

Zach's arm is Nothing like Montana's.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, jetsons said:

Joe Montana had 1 of the Most AVERAGE arms in NFL History... Montana was exceptionally accurate, exceptionally bright, threw a beautiful ball & ran a great system... I think he was 1 of the Greatest QB's in NFL History... but his arm???... meh

True. But arm strength is overated in QB's. I was rading an articel where they stated even Brett Farve didnt have an exceptionally strong arm compared to others like Pastorini or George.  Montana was a general on the field. Zach has a strong arm, stronger than Montana. I tink Rodgers easily has a stronger arm.  But this kid has that it factor. Similar to Mahomes. He's very crafty.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jetsons said:

You are 100% correct in terms of pure arm strength. I guess my point should have focused more on timing and rhythm and ease that I see in ZW.  

• Upvote 1

On 9/9/2021 at 5:12 AM, AFJF said:

Thread reminded me of this throw.  I was so focused on Wilson's improvisation, arm angles, accuracy that I'd kind of overlooked the quick release until I saw this throw.  Great stuff.

On top of extremely quick release I also took note of how quickly the ball got to the receiver. 15 yards in a little over one second from release. That’s just me counting off in my head… But I still came away thinking with such a short release he gets an incredible amount of speed on those throws. From that perspective he has the goods that approach Marino and Favre. I look forward to watching his progression this season… We should have a good idea of what the future holds for this young man as he deals with the growing pains of a rebuilding team.

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I have no clue why this was confusing to you.  I clearly said a quick release doesnt make him Marino.  

Having a quick release is nowhere the same as saying hes Marino.  Thats 3Xs now.

You should stay far away from QB comments.  No one called him Marino.  Have no idea what you are trying to say.  Comparing a release to the overall talent of a QB is ridiculous.

Dont tag me in posts where youre the confused one 

You can't possibly be this obtuse.

Or maybe you can, actually.  Back on ignore with you.

• Thumb Down 1

People have been trying to convince me that WIlson has a cannon.  An arm as strong as anybody.  Like Mahomes.  Now you want to compare him to ... Montana?  I guess I was right in the first place.  

FWIW, he doesn't remind me of Marino at all.  Marino was all hip twist and little arm motion.  Zach can kind of flick it, but it doesn't seem similar to me.  Namath either, but Marino never reminded me of Namath either despite everyone drawing the comparison.  

• Upvote 2

On 9/10/2021 at 9:53 AM, Warfish said:

You can't possibly be this obtuse.

Or maybe you can, actually.  Back on ignore with you.

You still don’t get how lame your post is bitching that because his release is Marino like that no one is saying he’s Marino?

Then you tag me in a thread and conversation I’m not a part of? Why, what was the reason to bring me into this dumb discussion?  Then you call me obtuse?     Because you have no sense of logic.  Brilliant and totally expected out of you, its what you do.  

And when you cant think and realize how I havent even come close to saying that hes Marino youre going to threaten me by ignoring me?  How about this, dont tag me, I've told you this before, then you dont have to put me on ignore. Guess I'll be deprived all those deep insightful posts where you'll back from making decisions of players until they become stars or bust.  Because why would you want to go out on a limb and have an opinion or just piss on everyones parade.  You dont know what its like to be a fan and people excited about our new QB has you confused for some reason.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

People have been trying to convince me that WIlson has a cannon.  An arm as strong as anybody.  Like Mahomes.  Now you want to compare him to ... Montana?  I guess I was right in the first place.  

FWIW, he doesn't remind me of Marino at all.  Marino was all hip twist and little arm motion.  Zach can kind of flick it, but it doesn't seem similar to me.  Namath either, but Marino never reminded me of Namath either despite everyone drawing the comparison.  

Wilson throws with his hips.  Every scout has talked about all the zip he has on his throws and how he can make off platform throws by torquing his hips.

For what its worth I havent heard one person say his arm is as strong as Mahomes or Marino.  Theyre comparing him because off platform throws are part of his game.

On 9/9/2021 at 11:21 AM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Pat’s arm angles

Roger’s accuracy and improvisational skill

Marino’s release 

Manning’s brain

Elway’s cannon

Brady’s will to win 

Damn my dude be smoking that good s***!?  Hope you're right but if not let me offer you up a bro hug in advance!

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/9/2021 at 5:45 PM, Warfish said:

When someone says "X is  like Y", that's called comparing.

When someone says "X is just like HOF'er Y at this, HOf'er Z at this, HOF'er Q at this", that is alot of comparing.

It’s actually impressive to miss the mark by this wide of a margin.

Zach’s release can be compared to Marino.  That doesn’t mean they’re directly comparing the two as players.  Nor is anyone is putting him in the HoF or saying he will be a HoF QB.  They’re just just saying he has a similarly quick release which, by the way, he does.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Dont really see it.  Different motions all together really.  

Interestingly enough, when I was watching some stuff about the San Fran's system, Zach and Jimmy G. have a lot in common. Similar size, athleticism, motion and release.  Neither have cannons but both can sling it, get it out fast, different angles, etc.  Probably advantage to Wilson in terms of fast ball but both have long balls that seem to die a little.  Very similar QB's IMO.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Interestingly enough, when I was watching some stuff about the San Fran's system, Zach and Jimmy G. have a lot in common. Similar size, athleticism, motion and release.  Neither have cannons but both can sling it, get it out fast, different angles, etc.  Probably advantage to Wilson in terms of fast ball but both have long balls that seem to die a little.  Very similar QB's IMO.

Agreed.  There’s really nothing about Marino that resembles Zach, like nothing.  It was just a very odd comparison.   

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  There’s really nothing about Marino that resembles Zach, like nothing.  It was just a very odd comparison.   

The hyperbole around here for this kid is insane.  I don't remember it this bad three years ago for Sam, or any of our prior QB busts.  At least he starts to write his own story tomorrow.  I just hope he doesn't suck.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

The hyperbole around here for this kid is insane.  I don't remember it this bad three years ago for Sam, or any of our prior QB busts.  At least he starts to write his own story tomorrow.  I just hope he doesn't suck.

Agreed.  It’s been truly bizarre.  Like you said, we can start collecting legit data points starting tomorrow.  

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Jimmy’s a fair one too, as is Romo and Rodgers (who is closest to Zach mechanically…AS FAR AS RELEASE).  I think the OP was really just trying to say: “Zach gets the ball out fast”.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Does he get the ball out fast or does the ball come out fast?

Until we see him tomorrow we can only go by college and preseason, which suggests both.

Mechanically, which I think is the discussion here, he’s very sound.  That’s all I’m saying.

40 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Zach’s release looks nothing like Marino’s. 

Marino was always up at the earhole then-flash- the ball was out. 

Like someone said, Zach’s arm is kind of loose, and that ball is out from wherever it happens to be at that point. Just as quick, but from anywhere. Not just the earhole. 

Saw him the first time live at Pitt, still the best pure QB I’ve ever seen. Notwithstanding no SBs. 

Completely different releases, both just as effective. 

I think the point was he has a quick release like Marino.  At least thats how I took it.  

Somehow it turned into he doesnt look like Marino.  

12 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Maybe I misspoke.

There are a ton of QBs with a quick release. Plenty to compare Zach to. 

Marino was mentioned in the thread title. 

Marino, while having a lightening quick release does not remind me of Zach’s release or vice-versa. 

I’m not saying he doesn’t “look” like Marino because clearly he does not. 

I’m saying their quick releases are very different. 

A Ferrari and a motorcycle are both very fast. 

Nevermind. 

Again, the OP didnt say he looked like Marino, he said the ball comes out of his hand fast, reminds him of Marino.  Didnt say he was Marino, looks like Marino, plays like Marino, will have a Marino like career or whatever interpretations people took from it.

• Sympathy 1

Okay, I’ll admit all I read was @tfine saying who Zach reminded him of, but… What the heck are we doing here?

This kid hasn’t taken a single regular season snap and guys are comparing him to Marino and Rodgers?

Come on, stop with this nonsense. Yeah, we want him to be the QB we’ve been hoping for. Yeah, he looked good in the preseason, but please… stop with the stupidity.

We just went through this with Darnold. Are we really going to do it again?

Let. The. Kid. Play. Before. You. Anoint. Him.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, tfine said:

To be clear. I never said he was like Marino in terms of mechanics and throwing style or even style of play. The just the way the ball flies out of his hand just reminds me of how quick the Marinos release was. That is all.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Dont waste your time.  

It was clear as day that you said the ball flies out like Marino.  Not he looks like Marino.