4 things to know about new Jets S Jarrod Wilson - also my 2 cents

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

Seems like a high quality signing.  I think JD is trying to gather options to avoid paying Marcus Maye $15mm in 2022.  

seems like a smart move anyway you look at it, but you want to know why Baltimore or Pitt alway has great talent, its this.

Why would you pay Maye 15mm when you can get same production from guy like this at way less. Joe knows you pay the premium positions money cause you cant jjust pick up a guy off the street to do the same. Look at who he has paid - pass rush WR etc..building depth everyone else. 

It just great to see this. AMong all the stuff Joe has changed the very core foundation of the Jets has been changed over the last few seasons. And I love it

• Upvote 3

I’m split in my view. Jets need to sign their good picks to long term contracts. Maye is a great candidate for that. Do not want players coming in to think of Jets as a brief stop before joining their real team.

Meantime JD has to position the Jets as if Maye wants to leave. So bolstering the safety position is smart.

At the end of the day it probably comes down to whether Maye wants to stay or go. Assuming he has a good year, there will be a competitive deal for him. But does he want to sign it?

If not, JD is ready 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Larz said:

Gotta be honest, the way JD treated cut down day I really don’t think winning is the priority this year. 

you can’t look at the TE group, the corner group and tell me that’s the best that he could do 

Agree.  That was an eye opening "reset your expectations" kind of a day.  Plus the head coach basically tried to lower expectations to win this season in a presser.   Not normal coach speak before week 1.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Gotta be honest, the way JD treated cut down day I really don’t think winning is the priority this year. 

you can’t look at the TE group, the corner group and tell me that’s the best that he could do 

why not? We got something for Herdon, signed capable players and have a TE room? What exactly do you think shoudl have happened? I think he did great! Im looking forward to seeing our TE play this year.

CUt down day has been great for the team. Winning is the priority every year. Including this one. We literally singed our QB and got him weapons and protection. That seems to go opposite of your statment.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Based on what? Who was available that you would have signed? I know there were some vet CBs on the market, but no one that seemed like a must sign prospect.  Previous Jets administrations would have signed known quantities that would generally underachieve while screwing the cap. This way the Jets develop young players, probably draft a bit higher, though not much, and they don't waste another year with JAG signings making up the bulk of the team. Then repeat the cycle again next year when the signings wash out and the Jets haven't built anything because the Jets once again went in on hopes and dreams.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, addage said:

Meantime JD has to position the Jets as if Maye wants to leave

Compensatory  picks game needs to start somewhere. I can think of better places for $12 to be spent but what do I know. If he has an outstanding year helping “sheepdog” this young secondary along with 5 INT and a dozen PD then I’ll personally type up the new contract

18 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Compensatory  picks game needs to start somewhere. I can think of better places for $12 to be spent but what do I know. If he has an outstanding year helping “sheepdog” this young secondary along with 5 INT and a dozen PD then I’ll personally type up the new contract

Excellent point 

21 hours ago, Larz said:

I don't know how many more times this needs to be said before people come to grips with the fact that this is year one of the rebuild. Last year was the end of the teardown. With the exception of Maye and Mosely, there is no more fat to trim. While Maye and Mosely are quality players who contribute to winning football, they are closer to the end of their primes than the beginning, and at too high of a cost. I will not at all be surprised if Maye and Mosely are playing for a contender when the trade deadline comes around. 

This will be the most entertaining and fun a tank season could possibly be. I am prepared for what this season is going to bring. The Jets have been turning heads with Zach Wilson. The anti-Jets sentiment will start to shift. The media will get behind the direction that this team is heading. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I don't know how many more times this needs to be said before people come to grips with the fact that this is year one of the rebuild. Last year was the end of the teardown. With the exception of Maye and Mosely, there is no more fat to trim. While Maye and Mosely are quality players who contribute to winning football, they are closer to the end of their primes than the beginning, and at too high of a cost. I will not at all be surprised if Maye and Mosely are playing for a contender when the trade deadline comes around. 

This will be the most entertaining and fun a tank season could possibly be. I am prepared for what this season is going to bring. The Jets have been turning heads with Zach Wilson. The anti-Jets sentiment will start to shift. The media will get behind the direction that this team is heading. 

My understanding is that Mosley is not tradeable or cuttable because of his contract, at least this year.     They also need him.

I wonder if JD regrets signing Maye to the FT given who they have picked up already at safety.  I think if Davis was the player he was supposed to be, Maye would not have been signed.  I think the plan was to extend Adams and replace Maye with Davis.  

It is easy to say that you don't pay FS who are not All-Pros $10+mm, but some team will, and Maye knows it.  Maye is a good guy and player, and it would be nice to keep him.  But I think the Jets are better off spending the money on a new Quinnen or Moses contract than spending it on Maye. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Based on what? Who was available that you would have signed? I know there were some vet CBs on the market, but no one that seemed like a must sign prospect.  Previous Jets administrations would have signed known quantities that would generally underachieve while screwing the cap. This way the Jets develop young players, probably draft a bit higher, though not much, and they don't waste another year with JAG signings making up the bulk of the team. Then repeat the cycle again next year when the signings wash out and the Jets haven't built anything because the Jets once again went in on hopes and dreams.

Agreed. 

I don't have a list of CB names, but there were players would have upgraded the position for this year. I'm glad that JD didn't upgrade just for the sake of upgrading so that we can win five games instead of three.     

Do we need to be reminded of that Trumaine Johnson contract? Was he even better than anything we currently have on the roster?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, varjet said:

My understanding is that Mosley is not tradeable or cuttable because of his contract, at least this year.     They also need him.

The Jets cut Trumaine Johnson and Le'Veon Bell even though we were hit with dead cap money for years after. If we got a decent enough offer, the Jets can afford another dead cap hit. We are better with Mosely than without, but what exactly do we need him for? Giving up 28 points instead of 35?

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

I wonder if JD regrets signing Maye to the FT given who they have picked up already at safety.  I think if Davis was the player he was supposed to be, Maye would not have been signed.  I think the plan was to extend Adams and replace Maye with Davis.  

What was the other option? Letting him walk for free? At least now we have someone to trade for a decent haul. There would be at least one team offering a third for Maye.

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

It is easy to say that you don't pay FS who are not All-Pros $10+mm, but some team will, and Maye knows it.  Maye is a good guy and player, and it would be nice to keep him.  But I think the Jets are better off spending the money on a new Quinnen or Moses contract than spending it on Maye. 

Some team will pay Maye, and I would bet $100 to win $10 that the Jets will not be the team who gives him a contract extension worth more than $8 million a year.  

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, addage said:

I’m split in my view. Jets need to sign their good picks to long term contracts. Maye is a great candidate for that. Do not want players coming in to think of Jets as a brief stop before joining their real team.

Meantime JD has to position the Jets as if Maye wants to leave. So bolstering the safety position is smart.

At the end of the day it probably comes down to whether Maye wants to stay or go. Assuming he has a good year, there will be a competitive deal for him. But does he want to sign it?

If not, JD is ready 

I just want Safetys who want top money to get paid by another team. plenty of good Safetys to he had on the cheap. supply and demand.

I dont think JD wants to pay him at all, but I could be wrong.

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

The Jets cut Trumaine Johnson and Le'Veon Bell even though we were hit with dead cap money for years after. If we got a decent enough offer, the Jets can afford another dead cap hit. We are better with Mosely than without, but what exactly do we need him for? Giving up 28 points instead of 35?

The Jets did that.  My understanding is that they still saved cash by cutting them, and as players they were useless.  I don't think either is true of Mosley in 2021, but the Jets could save cash and some cap space if they cut him in 2022.  They would need a replacement though.

What was the other option? Letting him walk for free? At least now we have someone to trade for a decent haul. There would be at least one team offering a third for Maye.

If we don't think Maye will be a Jet in 2022, we should save the cap space and get that 3rd round pick.  My guess is that if there was really a 3rd round pick offer, JD would take it. 

Some team will pay Maye, and I would bet $100 to win $10 that the Jets will not be the team who gives him a contract extension worth more than $8 million a year.  

I completely agree with this.

All is all, I am a supporter of 2021 being a developmental year.  That means making sure the offense can protect ZW and develop.  I would be exchanging expensive one-year rentals for 2022 draft picks and cap savings.  That was basically the Herndon trade.  That would also include Maye and Crowder.