Get used to the term " New Age Quarterback"!

This thread is about Zach Wilson. However I would first like to say if you saw Tom Brady try to make an off schedule play last night, he looked like Bambi taking his first few steps! Lmfao! Seriously get that guy some Aspercreme! At 44 years old he looked like he had a neck, a wrist, knee, ankle and throw in a groin for good measure.

So new age quarterback what does that mean? Well throughout the history of the NFL there have been certain quarterbacks who were considered special. Guys that could just will things to happen. Since the Advent of color TV we can go with Namath in college, Archie Manning, Steve young, Kenny Stabler, then you had Brett Favre and Mike Vick. Now we're watching Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, and hopefully Zach Wilson. I think you get the idea.

Point is that for decades the NFL was ruled by the old guard which were usually older white head coaches who did things in a conventional way. Easy reference would be Bill Parcells and Vinny Testaverde. Just a few decades ago today's modern day new age quarterback would be considered risky, having bad footwork, an awkward throwing motion etc. In fact a lot of these guys would have been cut a few decades ago. This is the reason they used to make Quarterbacks sit for a few years. There was no hero ball, you couldn't make off schedule plays and you weren't allowed to just go make things happen. Those old timers would be having heart attacks on the sidelines! can you imagine what Bill Parcells would have to say at the press conference if Vinny testaverde rolled out to his right and jumped in the air like Peter Pan and threw against his body!? It would not be kind. Why do you think Belichick drafted Mac Jones lol!?

So this new generation, these new age quarterbacks and coaches and players have all grown up on video games. The reason I bring that up is because when I play my kids in Madden they are totally unconventional. They barely ever run the ball. They throw Hail Marys 30 times a game, and on first and 10 when I have the ball they'll send out the field goal block unit.

Let me also say that obviously the players today are faster and more athletic. There's a lot less personal rivalry and the players of yesterday seemed tougher. The game itself was more tough. Not to say that they aren't playing hard but I think they look out for each other as far as injuries more so than in the past. This is probably due to free agency and social media and players being closer friends? I watch the old NFL films from time to time. I saw an interview where a former player said Dick Butkus was the nicest guy you could ever meet off the field. He would buy you beers in the bar all night before the game, and the next day he came after you like he hated you from the old neighborhood.

Oh well so the game has changed a little bit as all things do. If Zach Wilson is even close to Pat Mahomes lite, then we're lucky and we got ourselves a winner. 

Lastly when it comes to pro athletes, musicians, actors, hardcore fishermen, motorheads etc. I always appreciate when somebody puts full dedication to their craft as you pay a heavy toll to get to there. So I absolutely will be watching Sunday and I ...can't wait!

I am ready for some football!

J-E-T-S!!!

• Upvote 2

This is probably off topic, and definitely has nothing to do with this thread but I’m getting a little sick & tired of dealing with “new” employees everywhere I go. 

New flight attendants, new servers, new fast-food employees, new clerks at the grocery store…. It’s becoming a bit ridiculous. They’re all bad at their jobs. 

I’m boycotting all commerce until these “new” people can get their sh*t together. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Except that Tom Brady is still the best QB in football.

Pocket passers will always have a place in the NFL - more now than ever because QB's are barely allowed to be hit any more.

I'm not disagreeing with you I'm just saying times have changed. Hence my mention of Mac Jones to the Pats. They found the most cerebral statuesque white guy in the draft at QB!

Btw I'm a white guy.

Also I think I was just trying to say that the new generation of coaches have loosened the noose so to speak? Meaning they're willing to just let these young dudes who are thoroughbreds just go out there and run, where the old guard wouldn't.

Like I said in the original post some of the quarterback play these days would have been considered risky back in the day. What's the point in having an online protect a pocket passer if he's just going to take off and run a-la RGIII or Cam Newton?

Either way just stating that the style of football has changed. Toughness has been replaced with athleticism, brute force has been replaced with grace. It's just a simple take.

Kind of like guys used to drink Budweiser and eat cheeseburgers and these days you order a grilled chicken fillet with avocado on an asiago bun with a lemonade buzzweiser seltzer?

These Goddamn kids are soft I tell ya!! Lol

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

My favorite "New Age" artist from that 80s era is the late Michael Hedges.   Two handed guitar attack was/is revolutionary.  He was like one man orchestra.  Musical genius.   

New Age music saved me in the early 90's. I was suffering from extreme insomnia and heard this music for the first time.  Really let me relax and fall into deep sleep. The genre had just begun to take hold.  I then began exploring, studying the styles in the electronic genre.  New Age/Space/ Ambient are all variations of electronic muisc, extremely intertwined and have distinctive styles.  My favorite amongst them all:

The Master Pete Namlook who created the Fax label. 

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

This is probably off topic, and definitely has nothing to do with this thread but I’m getting a little sick & tired of dealing with “new” employees everywhere I go. 

New flight attendants, new servers, new fast-food employees, new clerks at the grocery store…. It’s becoming a bit ridiculous. They’re all bad at their jobs. 

I’m boycotting all commerce until these “new” people can get their sh*t together. 

Just wait, you’ll see, then they won’t be new anymore 

If by new age you mean; that the QB will start taking snaps from the center, drop back and either hand the ball off to a Running Back and/or throw the ball to a Receiver and/or maybe even does a little running on his own, well then I sir, am very intrigued to see this New Age QB.

• Haha 1

of course we need to add some race baiting into this, and then say, "oh, its ok, I'm white"

This is stupid, Aaron Rodgers has been doing this for a long time, its always, always been beneficial to be mobile, but mobility without accuracy and a competent arm with good decision making is worthless. 

This is not new age, and has nothing to do with white coaches

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Except that Tom Brady is still the best QB in football.

Pocket passers will always have a place in the NFL - more now than ever because QB's are barely allowed to be hit any more.

I'm waiting to see if Mac Jones inherits the Brady," sure the line can hold" perk or will he have to earn it first.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

If by new age you mean; that the QB will start taking snaps from the center, drop back and either hand the ball off to a Running Back and/or throw the ball to a Receiver and/or maybe even does a little running on his own, well then I sir, am very intrigued to see this New Age QB.

I thought they are finally figuring out how to incorporate Gucci sunglasses into the helmet. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

I'm waiting to see if Mac Jones inherits the Brady," sure the line can hold" perk or will he have to earn it first.

Nothing much more frustrating than watching Patriots tackles and guards putting our Dline in headlocks and pulling them down with no calls only to be followed by a Jets holding call for getting hands a little too inside from the side.....

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I've always felt Brad Smith could have been a good QB here, had the club been willing to shape the offense around him, as Baltimore has done with Jackson, and other clubs now seem more willing to do. They lean towards what the kids know coming out of college, rather than telling them to sit on the bench and "learn how we pros do it." Smith was before his time. I'm glad he still had some sort of career and made a few bucks out of it.

I've always felt Brad Smith could have been a good QB here, had the club been willing to shape the offense around him, as Baltimore has done with Jackson, and other clubs now seem more willing to do. They lean towards what the kids know coming out of college, rather than telling them to sit on the bench and "learn how we pros do it." Smith was before his time. I'm glad he still had some sort of career and made a few bucks out of it.
I wish people could wait and see if Jackson has success this year before annointing him the new face of football.

My guess is that defenses will shut him down this year.

Of course i am heavily against RBs playing QB ... so i am aware i could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

They meant new born. Zach is just a smidge bigger than a fetus.