2021 Week One Game Thread -- Jets vs Panthers; Let's Go Jets

Maxman

I'm going to go with glass half full, I'm not going to be doom and gloom our first game of the season. Even though there are many unknowns in all areas of the team including new coaching staff and rookie Qb. I'm not convinced how our defense will respond esp with a pretty young and inexperienced secondary. I think it's a good matchup today with Carolina who has many similar question marks. The one thing that concerns me more than McCaffrey is the hookup between Sam and Robby. We know it has worked in the past and very hard to defend. So I don't know if we're going to win today on the road. This could be a season where we lose games even to average or below teams like the Panthers and later in the season learn how to win. But anyways, Jets 24 Carolina 20.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm going to go with glass half full, I'm not going to be doom and gloom our first game of the season. Even though there are many unknowns in all areas of the team including new coaching staff and rookie Qb. I'm not convinced how our defense will respond esp with a pretty young and inexperienced secondary. I think it's a good matchup today with Carolina who has many similar question marks. The one thing that concerns me more than McCaffry is the hookup between Sam and Robby. We know it has worked in the past and very hard to defend. So I don't know if we're going to win today on the road. This could be a season where we lose games even to average or below teams like the Panthers and later in the season learn how to win. But anyways, Jets 24 Carolina 20.

Sam has had good days. It could happen against us. But I believe we have a better QB, and our DL>>>OL. Plus listening to Joe Brady yesterday he was talking about Sam like he was a rookie. He seems to have little confidence in Sam. Essentially if Zach is preseason Zach we win, if he is nervous and affected by first time on a true NFL stage we lose. BYU is high pressure so I think we get preseason Zach. That said if the Jets press the run too much on 1st and 2nd down we lose. We need to be balanced on first and second day and avoid obvious passing situations.

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm going to go with glass half full, I'm not going to be doom and gloom our first game of the season. Even though there are many unknowns in all areas of the team including new coaching staff and rookie Qb. I'm not convinced how our defense will respond esp with a pretty young and inexperienced secondary. I think it's a good matchup today with Carolina who has many similar question marks. The one thing that concerns me more than McCaffry is the hookup between Sam and Robby. We know it has worked in the past and very hard to defend. So I don't know if we're going to win today on the road. This could be a season where we lose games even to average or below teams like the Panthers and later in the season learn how to win. But anyways, Jets 24 Carolina 20.

Me too on the above.  I add that it really all comes down to Zack.  The Jets went all in at QB and moved up to protect him.  So far, so good.  But Zack will need some help. 

The key matchup today is Brien Burns against Becton.  Burns is a bona fide edge rusher.  He is going to get in some licks.  If he has a field day, it will determine the outcome.  On the other hand, if Becton can stymie him we will run the ball down his $*%*&^*ing throat.  If we can run the ball, we can control the clock and it will not come down to 3d and long. 

For the first time in a long time, I like our chances in the key matchup.  Burns gives everybody trouble, but a healthy Becton did some fine work last season.  A classic contest of speed versus power.

I too think Carolina will score 20.  Whether we score more comes down to Zack and whether we block Burns.  I choose to be optimistic even though we are on the road.   Jets 21 - Carolina 20.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

One plus for Sam with Carolina is McCaffrey. He never had as reliable a 3rd down maker with the Jets. I thought Bell was going to be that but he wasn’t. He never got that much help from the tight end position. Crowder was his best option and even though the guy is good not as good as McCaffrey. It should make Sam more effective. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, peebag said:

For the love of all that is good and holy, please let Zach Wilson be the real deal.

Amen.

We are so due.  The odds have been in our favor for years.  How many short straws can one team draw? 

Here is to the Ultimate Utah QB and our Morman Missile.  May Zack produce Zounds of first downs. and Tons of TDs!

image.jpeg.825b0d444864713b9e2adcca5347778f.jpeg

2 hours ago, OceanPanther said:

NFL WARS  WEEK 1

PANTHERS VS JET

” MOUNT UP MEN ,, RIDE TO THE SOUND OF THE CANNON FIRE,,, THERE’S A BATTLE TO BE FOUTHT “

PANTHERS 31

jets  17 

uhh..wut?

I tried reading that and cringed with every word of that statement.   ?

The final score, however (and sadly), could happen.  

We all want to win this game 24-20 or something but something tells me that we are not holding the Panthers with all those weapons to just 20 points for 4 quarters.    Come on now....

3 hours ago, slowmoe57 said:

Last year opening day I drove from Bradenton Florida to The Villages Fl. After living with my Mother in law for 4 months as my house was being built. Pouring rain the whole way up as I was relocating to a rental until move in. Got to the sports bar 2 minutes til kickoff and was lucky to get in as I did not have a reservation (never occurred to me to have one)Well after one of the worst opening half’s  of football I have ever seen (96 in Denver number 1). I posted somewhere 3-13 here we come. Which was pretty darn close

Now resettled I have invited old and new friends for an opening day party with lots of food and various forms of liquid refreshment. I am very excited for the season but I am guessing 6-7 wins but the future is bright.  Sad part most of my new neighbors are Patriot fans.

enjoy the game all 

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS 

Reading thru your post, bud thinking there's zero chance this game is anywhere near as bad as last year's embarrassment. Then I saw about the Pat's fan's . . . . 

Knowing what a great cook you married, I guess there's a chance you can keep food in their mouths and maybe they'll shut up long enough for you to enjoy the game. 

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

• Haha 2