2021 Week One Game Thread -- Jets vs Panthers; Let's Go Jets

Maxman

17 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I have no idea why that dog shyte performance would encourage you.   To me, they got gashed all day.

Zach didn't "get gashed”, my response was specific to your comments on Zach (see what I quoted).

I am encouraged by Zach's total overall play and toughness. I see no comparison to Geno Smith.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Lmaoo sam had 200 yards in first half and still couldn't break 300

Just four 300+ yard games in 39 starts for Darnold.  Basically just 1 solid quarter of play today against the youngest defense in the NFL.

Imagine how bad their offense will look if/when McCaffrey gets hurt.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just four 300+ yard games in 39 starts for Darnold.  Basically just 1 solid quarter of play today against the youngest defense in the NFL.

Imagine how bad their offense will look if/when McCaffrey gets hurt.  

exactly !! Darnold throws for a buck fifty today and loses without McCaffery

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Action Zachtion said:

Wow.  You don't understand what pressure does.  This was a total failure by the OLine.  Plays are not supposed to start with trying to dodge a free runner all the time.  

There were at least 5 throws in the first that were way off the mark with minimal presssure. Stop homerin

Next off season JD NEEDS to spend BIG BIG BIG money on the OL. **** everything else or Wilson is going to get demolished if this OL doesnt improve.  In fact, something needs to be done NOW. McGovern SUCKS. Van Roten WORSE.  They had no push and couldnt slow down teh Panther DL all game.  Zach was running for his life. Lucky he wasnt injured. 

2 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Next off season JD NEEDS to spend BIG BIG BIG money on the OL. **** everything else or Wilson is going to get demolished if this OL doesnt improve.  In fact, something needs to be done NOW. McGovern SUCKS. Van Roten WORSE.  They had no push and couldnt slow down teh Panther DL all game.  Zach was running for his life. Lucky he wasnt injured. 

Nah. Pass on Thuney and spend big $$$ on a Dlineman/linebacker with 4 career sacks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I had this as an ugly 16-13 loss today.  No surprise today.  Can only go up from here and it will over the course of the season.  We don't have a ton of talent obviously but some encouraging play out of a lot of our young defenders.  And the OL play will get much better.  Not too worried about that.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Maynard13 said:

Next off season JD NEEDS to spend BIG BIG BIG money on the OL. **** everything else or Wilson is going to get demolished if this OL doesnt improve.  In fact, something needs to be done NOW. McGovern SUCKS. Van Roten WORSE.  They had no puch and couldnt slow down teh Panther DL all game.  Zach was running for his life. Lucky he wasnt injured. 

No he needed to close the deal this past off season and the one before.  He has at least tried to address the oline but his eval of Center and RG has been laughably bad.

Oh, also I'll say it for the umpteeth time, i friggin hate the zone blocking scheme.

Zero excuse for not drafting a 2nd olineman this draft when many good developmental guys were there mid rounds.

Also the oc had better adjust our game plans, bring in two TEs or use the backs to block most of the time.

• Upvote 1

Zach showed some Killer Instinct in that 2nd half. He didn't have a pretty game, but the fact that he held strong, composed, decisive, and accurate even after the drops + pick was real encouraging. Overall I thought it was an encouraging first outing. Never seen a rookie QB face that much on his debut game. 

He obviously has a cannon, and showed if off a few times. If Moore catches that ball in the 1st, that might be the best play we've seen in years. It's gonna be a long road up, but the fact that he didn't break is awesome to see. I got to used to seeing hanging heads and compounded bad QB play so it's refreshing to see a good bounce back to having an overall nice game. 

I feel that we may have a lot of Burrow comparisons this year if protection doesn't get its act together. Would be great to see Wilson build on this and get better, but obviously we run the risk of hurting him even if he's playing great while pulling this team behind him kicking and screaming. 

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I’m….not mad? 

Zach battled back and finished strong and the young defense played better than I thought, all things considered.

Exactly how I feel.  I was expecting a blowout and it probably could have been if Sam didnt miss a few pass but still, that's how the game goes and they held in there and fought even though the game was pretty much out of reach.  So I appreciated their spirited effort., 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Imagine how bad their offense will look if/when McCaffrey gets 

He had a good game. Not a great game. He made good decisions. Hung tough in the pocket. Great games will be hard to come by for Sam and Zack. Both offensive lines stink

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Just cracked open my first beer. I'm trying to cut down so I'll limit the number of beers during the game to the number on INTs Sam throws. Question is will I pass out before the end of the first half.

Panther win and Sam out plays Zach.

OK - I've switched to the harder stuff and what else is legal in Fl.

Sam didn't throw a INT but the fumble could be blamed on him and that cost at least a field goal.

So, I'll drink to that.

I guess it's hard to judge a possible FQB  when they're under constant pressure.  Let's hold Zach to the same standard as Darnold had.

2 minutes ago, genot said:

He had a good game. Not a great game. He made good decisions. Hung tough in the pocket. Great games will be hard to come by for Sam and Zack. Both offensive lines stink

Excuse # 1 for Darnold in Carolina comes from genot!  Basically a free space on your Bingo cards if you're playing from home.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I’m….not mad? 

Zach battled back and finished strong and the young defense played better than I thought, all things considered.

exactly. Biggest disappointments today: did not utilize Elijah Moore at all. The RB's stunk probably because the OL got raped. Becton is exactly what I thought Becton was, slow, can't handle speed rushers and is injury prone.

I was going to get on the DL but they turned it up in the second half Franklin Meyers played well Williams was handled most of the time in one on one situations which I did not expect. The defense being on the field as much as they were early did a really good job IMHO.

Not sure we can grade Zach for his statistical performance in the first half but to only have one turn over as a rookie with all that pressure was a win for him. He was really good in the second half and showed the pressure didn't get in his head if this was any other Jet QB of the past 10 years it would have been a disaster in the first half. 

7 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Exactly how I feel.  I was expecting a blowout and it probably could have been if Sam didnt miss a few pass but still, that's how the game goes and they held in there and fought even though the game was pretty much out of reach.  So I appreciated their spirited effort., 

This goes both ways with our 5 drops, but I get what you mean.

Overall, I don't exactly feel angry or distraught right now. At the end of the first half I was as miserable as ever, but I'm kinda alright with it now. Didn't expect to win, and certain offensive pieces played straight up bad, but Wilson and the defense definitely held strong and played some hard/good ball at the end. That's very important in my eyes.

1 minute ago, Action Zachtion said:

So 13.5% of his passes against heavy jailbreak pressure half the time were not good and you are unhappy with a 1st game? 

No stop with stats.

I wanted to see zach shine under pressure. First half he mad 5 or so bad short throws.

thats all im saying. He did better in junk time yes

Analysis:

what i thought were good wrs were not

the oline is very very bad

no run game

gteat special teams today

the d overall held it together for all the time they were out there

e moore terrible

dont miss herndon or bless

zach stayed alive and showed something in the 2 nd half. Not bad for a rookie but i was hoping for just a lil bit moore i mean more

OL needs to play better. RBs were mostly from hunger . Puts Wilson in a bad way.But the kid was game. He made it a game in the second half. The defense still does not generate nearly any kind of pass rush. Ultimately this came down to one team had Christian McCaffrey and one team did not. With a 16 point lead in the second half Carolina played the odds and basically won.

Q has to be better.

Saleh has his work cut out for him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 minutes ago, BloodGreen said:

Just heard on SNY post game that Jets believe Becton has sprained MCL. Great news if they are correct!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

MRI back already?  He got bent in a funny position by getting rolled under.  Sometimes you see the real damage on light contact weeks later after those.  It looked bad but I'll hope for the best.