O-line was supposed to be Joe Douglas' expertise

freestater

Just now, Sonny Werblin said:

Is becton miscast in a zone blocking scheme?

and this is last year’s bad O line with AVT swapped for Lewis. So, I’m not sure why anyone expected a huge improvement especially since this was the first game they all played together and it was a trial by fire with constant blitzes.

plus, the o line will be bad so long as it includes Mcgoven at C and Van Roten at RG. They are bad at their jobs and the DCs know it.

It looked like a more athletic OL is better for wilson as he moves around well and just needs the LT to not get completely torched so he can step up or around the defender.  The middle of the OL was also a disaster as carolina’s stunts nearly got wilson killed.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Barton said:

Not saying he's a bust, but AVT on college film.......was he really that impressive? Didnt maul in the running game. Gave up some sacks in college. 

Yes, he was. 

My biggest concern was that the OC didn't use the backs to chip the free pass rusher. That might have to do with the fact that Ty Johnson isn't much of a blocker but still. He could have used a TE to help with the edge rushers.

For all the complaining, the one constant rule of thumb about putting together an OL is that it has to work as a unit and play together to become one of the better units.  This OL played for the first time together as a unit.  All the bickering about who sucks and who put this together is a lot of nonsense at this point.  And really, signing Moses and having the incumbent outplay him to earn the start is nothing to keep bitching about.  

It was their first time as one unit.  

• Upvote 1

This system they’re running is demanding mentally and physically on the OL. Shanahan talks about it taking two years to learn; the Jets have had one offseason in it. Their prized new first round OG missed the entire preseason. It’s going to take a number of games before this OL starts functioning as a unit. Maybe most of the year. 

• Upvote 4

The OL has some capable players but they were terrible and will get Wilson killed if they don't dial it in and start to gel as a unit, but I do have confidence in this coaching staff to do what it takes to get them playing at their best. We knew this was going to be a long season and we knew there would be some growing pains along the way. This is just that. As long as we see improvement across the board from every unit as the season progresses, we will all be able to rest a little easier.

Have some faith, people. It's a much better approach than jumping off of rooftops after one game. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

To be very clear...

Yesterdays starting OL was the same as the worst OL in the NFL - but subbing in a rookie G in his first game.

Expecting this OL to play well yesterday was a pipedream.  

that's what really burns my ass about it.   We finally have a franchise QB and completely hamstring him with no OL to effectively run the ball or protect him.   GVR + McGovern were both terrible last year and yet here they are again - totally inexcusable.  

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

For all the complaining, the one constant rule of thumb about putting together an OL is that it has to work as a unit and play together to become one of the better units.  This OL played for the first time together as a unit.  All the bickering about who sucks and who put this together is a lot of nonsense at this point.  And really, signing Moses and having the incumbent outplay him to earn the start is nothing to keep bitching about.  

It was their first time as one unit.  

Outside of AVT it's the exact same line as the worst one in the NFL last year.  I know it's a new system but they've all played together plenty.

The reality is we don't have good players on the OL. 

Hopefully AVT is the real deal and will be the first cog in rebuilding the OL.

7 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

When will everyone finally admit JD is just the latest mediocre to poor GM hired by the Johnsons?

new-york-jets-gm-john-idzik-press-confer

Amen.

If Joe Douglas looked like this arrogant country club elitist they'd have run him out of town by now.  But, no, he looks like their fantasy football beer buddy so he's alright, just give him another year, maybe another after that, nah, that's not enough, give him just one more.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

Just now, SAR I said:

new-york-jets-gm-john-idzik-press-confer

Amen.

If Joe Douglas looked like this arrogant country club elitist they'd have run him out of town by now.  But, no, he looks like their fantasy football beer buddy so he's alright, just give him another year, maybe another after that, nah, that's not enough, give him just one more.

SAR I

The same people gloating about JD’s bona fides because he got coffee for the Eagles front office are the same people who thought Macagnan was soooooo much better than Idzik

JD sucks.  Saleh is Rex minus the sense of humor.  Zach is going to get killed behind this trash OL same way Sam did and the Sam haters will all be Zach haters in 2 years because this organization is a dysfunctional mess

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

"The first cog"?????  Joe Douglas has been rebuilding this thing since 2019.  

Reminder:  This was the offensive line during our 6-2 run to end the 2019 season:

Alex Lewis
Jonothan Harrison
Kelvin Beachum
Brandon Shell
Tom Compton

We'd be better off if he left it alone.

SAR I

I’m no scout - I do pretty good with getting things right on prospects - but, it’s not a skill or whatever.

My understanding is that Becton was better suited for a power scheme. Not the zone scheme of Shanny lore, which requires speed and athleticism from the OL. Unless I have it all wrong… I dunno.

Im rooting for Becton though. Hope it’s a short-lived slump and he comes around for us.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I’m no scout - I do pretty good with getting things right on prospects - but, it’s not a skill or whatever.

My understanding is that Becton was better suited for a power scheme. Not the zone scheme of Shanny lore, which requires speed and athleticism from the OL. Unless I have it all wrong… I dunno.

Im rooting for Becton though. Hope it’s a short-lived slump and he comes around for us.

Fitting square pegs in round holes is what we do 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

So you understand a young team will have growing pains, but they're terrible after one game.  Okay.

A young an inexperienced line, would lack communication, it would lack trust and there would be tons of mix ups. What I saw yesterday was a bunch of individuals who were beat one on one. They were slow off the ball and looked weak individually. IMO, that has NOTHING to do with youth. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Too many excuses the kid got hit 11 times if this continues while the OL gels Wilson will end up like the rest of the QB’s this team has failed. 

I genuinely thought he got hurt on two big sacks.  The second one near the end of the game saw his head get whipped into the turf.  Seriously thought Zack should have come off the field for an evaluation after that one.

• Upvote 2

Lets see if they can mix and match JD did sign players with experience to get depth and now there could be a major injury on the O-line. The O-line during the exhibition season did not have a lot of time to work together. They played better in the second half but you're all right it is the key to success on the offense. 

4 hours ago, slats said:

This system they’re running is demanding mentally and physically on the OL. Shanahan talks about it taking two years to learn; the Jets have had one offseason in it. Their prized new first round OG missed the entire preseason. It’s going to take a number of games before this OL starts functioning as a unit. Maybe most of the year. 

Yea.  So sit Wilson until they get their sh## together, so he doesnt get frickin killed. He nearly had a damn concussion yesterday. Protection was awful. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I saw the head whip on that play, too.   Whatever happened to the NFL protocol of examining a player after a hit like that?  

Yup. Very surprising it didnt happen. Wilson was laying on the ground a good 2-3 secs and not even moving.

Not to mention, where is the effing flag?

• Upvote 2

“The kid has been hit before,” said Robert Saleh, who lost his head-coaching debut. “He took some shots today, obviously. But he got back up. He showed resolve. And he’s fearless. He really is. He’s only going to get better.”

How about you STFU and protect him from getting killed? Run a damn 2 tight end set and keep them both in as blockers. Do whatver you have to do. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Officially, Wilson took 10 hits and was sacked six times by the Panthers in his NFL debut. Unofficially, it felt like the rookie quarterback was running for his life for three hours at Bank of America Stadium.

“Neck’s a little sore,” Wilson said. “A little whiplash, but I’ll be all right.”

The Jets line is not good and their rbs are not good either-teams will be going heavy blitz vs the jets as there is zero reason to respect our "running game" 

The panthers looked like the sack exchange out there yesterday when the reality is they are not an upper tier defense.

I think Joe should have brought in a vet QB and let Wilson sit this year (which  even the biggest Joe D fans appear to believe it is a lost season anyways)  and try to build protection around him next year in the draft and through FA

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I genuinely thought he got hurt on two big sacks.  The second one near the end of the game saw his head get whipped into the turf.  Seriously thought Zack should have come off the field for an evaluation after that one.

Tuff kid.  If anyone in this organization feels comfortable about putting possibly the most talented  QB we have had behind those scrubs this week should be ashamed. I don’t want to hear any excuses if this kid starts to regress, that is on the staff. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, FTL Jet Fan said:

Tuff kid.  If anyone in this organization feels comfortable about putting possibly the most talented  QB we have had behind those scrubs this week should be ashamed. I don’t want to hear any excuses if this kid starts to regress, that is on the staff. 

For a good part of yesterday's game, Zack looked like David Carr in Houston taking shot after shot.   As you say, they better fix the o line quick or Zack is going to have the same fate as Carr.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

For a good part of yesterday's game, Zack looked like David Carr in Houston taking shot after shot.   As you say, they better fix the o line quick or Zack is going to have the same fate as Carr.

After 45 years as a fan it’s just like reliving the same scenario  over and over. How as an owner can you sit there and watch that kid take a beating without having a serious sit down with your GM and staff. I hope this is corrected but I won’t hold my breath. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

After 45 years as a fan it’s just like reliving the same scenario  over and over. How as an owner can you sit there and watch that kid take a beating without having a serious sit down with your GM and staff. I hope this is corrected but I won’t hold my breath. 

56 for me this year, FTL.   Totally agree.  How many GMs now have told us they would address/fix the O line problem?  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Outside of AVT it's the exact same line as the worst one in the NFL last year.  I know it's a new system but they've all played together plenty.

Really?  AVT and Moses?  2 out of 5 are new and they just dont need to work together, the comment about an OL needing to work together doesnt count?

We dont have good players?  Becton, AVT and Moses arent good?  

26 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I was watching and I didn't see all that much QB hitting. I saw a couple of hits. I see most QBs taking hits after throwing balls. Nothing out of the ordinary. (Or maybe I'm a Jets fan and think, "wow, my guy had time to make some downfield and/or short throws, that's not commonplace...for the Jets.").

But I thought the OL play was "ok" for a first game playing together in a real NFL game. I saw room for growth and expect growth because they have some talented players, unlike the normal crap they field.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1