Oh no! Zachapono might suck?!?

freestater

2 hours ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

By my count, this is the third time someone has suggested that I am a poster called "DWC" or "Defense Wins Championships."  I will review that posters posting history to see if there's any obvious reason for the comparison beyond the temporal proximity between DWC being banned or suspended (I have gleaned he is no longer posting here from some of the responses) from these Jets Nation Forums.  I am not DWC, but will find it interesting to see if there's another kindred spirit on the internet.  

Maybe you're Data from star trek...lol

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Ben Had said:

Maybe you're Data from star trek...lol

I gather that this will sound odd coming from me--as most people on Jets Nation Forum that have interacted with me have concluded that I am nerd--but I actually dislike Star Trek, science fiction, fantasy, and other such hobbies, so your comparison is somewhat lost on me.  I gather that this is a gentle ribbing, and humorously compares my penchant for comprehensive dispassionate analysis to a robotic alien life form that is devoid of humor.  Though it is not coming across from my posts, I believe that even the people making fun of me are very humorous and I have laughed (though not audibly) at several comments.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s hard to imagine this board today, if the jets had traded out of 2 and taken, say, pitts. 

The one player I would have been cool with trading back and taking would have been Pitts.  @Paradis

But I would have also wanted Darnold to be traded.  It was never an either/or proposition for me.  Darnold needed to go.  And a 2 & a 4 was a great price for a bad QB on an expiring contract.  Maybe bring in a guy like Tyrod Taylor and see what happens, while planning to take a QB in 2022.

If they needed to punt QB another year because they didn't like the ones in this class, and it meant we'd have Pitts there for our rookie QB the next year, that would have been acceptable.  

6 hours ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

I gather that this will sound odd coming from me--as most people on Jets Nation Forum that have interacted with me have concluded that I am nerd--but I actually dislike Star Trek, science fiction, fantasy, and other such hobbies, so your comparison is somewhat lost on me.  I gather that this is a gentle ribbing, and humorously compares my penchant for comprehensive dispassionate analysis to a robotic alien life form that is devoid of humor.  Though it is not coming across from my posts, I believe that even the people making fun of me are very humorous and I have laughed (though not audibly) at several comments.  

How do you feel about Florida State or the ACC in general?  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Um, he seemed to do quite well in his first game with the circumstances of getting sacked and hurried pretty much every play and still posting: 20/37 258 2 1. For you fantasy guys he was worth more points than sam that game. Remember sam's first pass as a rookie?

Yeah, I believe it was a pick six, no? Wilson has a chance but the JETs are doing little to help him. 

I went and made a website to convey that I liked Justin Fields better than Zach Wilson, but I trust in Zach Wilson.   I do think he's a franchise QB now.  

Issues that I saw that remain:

1.  He needs an adjustment period to NFL lines because he had great OL play at BYU.  I'm not even sure we can call our line an NFL line because it sucks.  

2.  His biggest issue in terms of passing is that he's not quite adept at passing into tight windows in the middle of the field.  He does MUCH better working the sidelines (think reverse Lamar Jackson) because Wilson focuses on looking off defenders, which doesn't give him enough time to properly read the primary defender at times.  And with all young QBs, he had issues with backside defenders, ala the interception.  

The main crux for him right now is the middle of the filed is determined by your run success.  If your running game is successful (Ravens) then the middle of the field is open because linebackers have to bite one way or the other.  If the running game sucks (as we did), we have linebackers dropping back more confidently into the passing lane.  

However, here are my reasons why I believe in Wilson.  

1.  Film Study - This is quite possibly the biggest news I've heard out of training camp and pre-season, and it's his affinity for film study.  It may not be immediate, but having a film junkie with talent goes a LONG way in QB development because he then starts to understand concepts from a different point of view.  

I thought the story of him talking film with Saleh was enormous because to be a stud, he needs to understand what the defense is trying, and that's accomplished by talking to a defensive coach.  

2.  His ability to read defenses have been very good, even yesterday with heavy pressure.  This was a major concern for me because frankly he didn't need to do much of it at BYU last year.  He could pretty much throw the ball up against some teams and rest assured it wouldn't be intercepted.  

Some Instances:

The first sack of the game, Panthers dropped into coverage with a free runner from the opposite side, to essentially bait the hot read.  The quick slant is the hot read but a linebacker jumps that route, and Wilson wisely pulls it back.  If he throws it, almost guaranteed pick 6.  The fault lays with game plan, which might actually be need to adjusted.  The running back or tight end needed a chip release to slow down the free runner because that extra time would have given them plenty of time to hit the second read.  Instead, the free runner gets there.  While it's a sack, this is a failure on the play call (or the Panthers just called it better) and good on Wilson to pull it.  I think it might have been confusion, because the running back was called into the backfield form splitting out wide.  It would make sense that he was called back for protection or a chip block in this case.  The running back didn't and it resulted in a sack.  

An almost sack at 9:43 in the 2nd quarter, this is just a rookie mistake.  When the receiver goes in motion and the CB doesn't follow, now has any threat in the area, this play is dead.  This means you have 2 defenders going after the QB, one with a chip block and one unblocked.  You can't execute a long play action in this case.  This is once again, the Panthers had a better call than the Jets on the play.  No one respects Jeff Smith on the Jet Sweep, so the intended movement just isn't there.  

The interception was absolutely dreadful, and plays into two issues.  One, Wilson didn't account for the second defender (Thompson) in this case.  However, it wouldn't have mattered because the primary defender would have undercut the route as well for a possible INT.  The issue is that he throws this ball off balance instead of stepping up first.  He has great arm talent but sometimes relies on being able to make off balance throws when he needs to navigate the pocket better.  

There's more but too tiring to break down.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I went and made a website to convey that I liked Justin Fields better than Zach Wilson, but I trust in Zach Wilson.   I do think he's a franchise QB now.  

Issues that I saw that remain:

1.  He needs an adjustment period to NFL lines because he had great OL play at BYU.  I'm not even sure we can call our line an NFL line because it sucks.  

2.  His biggest issue in terms of passing is that he's not quite adept at passing into tight windows in the middle of the field.  He does MUCH better working the sidelines (think reverse Lamar Jackson) because Wilson focuses on looking off defenders, which doesn't give him enough time to properly read the primary defender at times.  And with all young QBs, he had issues with backside defenders, ala the interception.  

The main crux for him right now is the middle of the filed is determined by your run success.  If your running game is successful (Ravens) then the middle of the field is open because linebackers have to bite one way or the other.  If the running game sucks (as we did), we have linebackers dropping back more confidently into the passing lane.  

However, here are my reasons why I believe in Wilson.  

1.  Film Study - This is quite possibly the biggest news I've heard out of training camp and pre-season, and it's his affinity for film study.  It may not be immediate, but having a film junkie with talent goes a LONG way in QB development because he then starts to understand concepts from a different point of view.  

I thought the story of him talking film with Saleh was enormous because to be a stud, he needs to understand what the defense is trying, and that's accomplished by talking to a defensive coach.  

2.  His ability to read defenses have been very good, even yesterday with heavy pressure.  This was a major concern for me because frankly he didn't need to do much of it at BYU last year.  He could pretty much throw the ball up against some teams and rest assured it wouldn't be intercepted.  

Some Instances:

The first sack of the game, Panthers dropped into coverage with a free runner from the opposite side, to essentially bait the hot read.  The quick slant is the hot read but a linebacker jumps that route, and Wilson wisely pulls it back.  If he throws it, almost guaranteed pick 6.  The fault lays with game plan, which might actually be need to adjusted.  The running back or tight end needed a chip release to slow down the free runner because that extra time would have given them plenty of time to hit the second read.  Instead, the free runner gets there.  While it's a sack, this is a failure on the play call (or the Panthers just called it better) and good on Wilson to pull it.  I think it might have been confusion, because the running back was called into the backfield form splitting out wide.  It would make sense that he was called back for protection or a chip block in this case.  The running back didn't and it resulted in a sack.  

An almost sack at 9:43 in the 2nd quarter, this is just a rookie mistake.  When the receiver goes in motion and the CB doesn't follow, now has any threat in the area, this play is dead.  This means you have 2 defenders going after the QB, one with a chip block and one unblocked.  You can't execute a long play action in this case.  This is once again, the Panthers had a better call than the Jets on the play.  No one respects Jeff Smith on the Jet Sweep, so the intended movement just isn't there.  

The interception was absolutely dreadful, and plays into two issues.  One, Wilson didn't account for the second defender (Thompson) in this case.  However, it wouldn't have mattered because the primary defender would have undercut the route as well for a possible INT.  The issue is that he throws this ball off balance instead of stepping up first.  He has great arm talent but sometimes relies on being able to make off balance throws when he needs to navigate the pocket better.  

There's more but too tiring to break down.  

He’s a rookie on a really bad team. There are going to be some ugly moments this year. Fans need to come to grips with that. 

2 minutes ago, KO91 said:

He’s a rookie on a really bad team. There are going to be some ugly moments this year. Fans need to come to grips with that. 

I think he's a stable OL away from being decent because the underlying ability looked a lot better than any of the QBs we've had since Sanchez (his rookie season is distorted because he had a great team around him).  

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to fix it with Becton out and Fant looking like he needs lasik. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

I think he's a stable OL away from being decent because the underlying ability looked a lot better than any of the QBs we've had since Sanchez (his rookie season is distorted because he had a great team around him).  

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to fix it with Becton out and Fant looking like he needs lasik. 

On paper the OL isn't world beaters, but should be better.  AVT might make a leap forward.  Fant at LT and Moses at RT looked better - and it made sense when Salah mentioned Becton only practiced 4 times recently, so that's where Fant and Moses were getting reps.  

That and the fact the OL and RBs were so exposed means the scheme should adjust.  

I'm talking myself into a good change of improvement blocking next week.  Not world beaters, just not the worst looking in the league to start.  

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The one player I would have been cool with trading back and taking would have been Pitts.  @Paradis

But I would have also wanted Darnold to be traded.  It was never an either/or proposition for me.  Darnold needed to go.  And a 2 & a 4 was a great price for a bad QB on an expiring contract.  Maybe bring in a guy like Tyrod Taylor and see what happens, while planning to take a QB in 2022.

If they needed to punt QB another year because they didn't like the ones in this class, and it meant we'd have Pitts there for our rookie QB the next year, that would have been acceptable.  

Zach - supporting cast = Sam - supporting cast

Sorry to burst that bubble

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

How do you feel about Florida State or the ACC in general?  

While my main sport is Tennis, I have in recent years become something of a devotee to College Football with an emphasis on the ACC.  I think the shift towards the ACC becoming a power conference has been a welcome one after years of SEC domination.  I cannot say that it is pleasurable to root for an ACC bottom-feeder, but at the very least it has enabled me to engage in amateur scouting of NFL prospects.  

Apologies if that's vague, your prompt was a bit open ended, and I am trying to tone it down as I get the impression that I should offer "deep" insights more sparingly.  

On 9/13/2021 at 12:07 AM, Sports-Journalism101 said:

Once we get a chance to look at the game more closely and  contextualize  with with later performances by the Jets we might catch details that suggest that the causes of the New York Jets success or failure in the 2021-2022 season, and beyond.

15 hours ago, Flightattendant said:

Sounds like something DWC would say. 

Nah, DWC didn't throw words like "contextualize" around in his posts.

This was bad.....

What's even worse was throwing this kid to the wolves with this roster to start the season. The kid played at BYU last year. It's like sending him from High School Geometry to College level calculus....

Even Andy had enough sense to sit Mahomes for most of his 1st season. 

But yea today was otherworldly bad...

• Upvote 1