Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Yes.  He's done.  Will never be healthy for a 17 game schedule....Bad choice.  

It happens to all GM's..it's okay.  I just hope he learns from it.

Agreed . At this point move him to guard and with any luck  he turns out to be Dave Cadigan 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of the responses in this thread are beyond sad. He's still a ******* kid who might've gotten a season-ending injury. Good lord

I don’t even feel bad for him.   He was terrible all game.   When you get bull-rushed and/or beaten and thrown off balance every play… it was bound to happen that he got rolled up on in awkward f

Man the takes here are so over the top in either direction.  Lay out the facts...  1- Wirfs was the safer and more stable pick to being with. Everyone knew it. JD even stated he picked Becto

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, RobR said:

Yet Becton graded higher than Wirfs and was playing LT for a Gase led offense with Darnold at the helm, when Wirfs was playing RT for the goat.

The biggest concern on Becton has been his health which wasn't an issue when he entered the league. Wirfs is a great player but Becton has sky is the limit potential.

I'm glad you have written him off at the ripe old age of 22 when we have seen him as a dominant force in this league as a 21 year old rookie.

Dominant force in this league ….lol …ok ..and we’re the ones with blinders on . 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, David Harris said:

A little bit of both- Becton get juked inside and didn’t recover well but the ball didn’t come out either

So why are we hearing what a terrible game he had?  It's simply not true. For some odd reason Jets fans think that their LT should never give up a pressure or a sack, yet it happens to every team every single week unless you're named Joe Thomas. I have a hard time wrapping my head around that our LT gave up what was a questionable coverage sack and now all of the sudden he totally sucks and needs to be replaced next draft. It's lunacy. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm genuinely confused so can someone who truly understands OL play explain to me please. I watched every pass set and I saw Becton get beat once on a nice inside move by the rusher. I understand elite tackles shouldn't give up any sacks but to say he was horrible seems like a huge stretch to me. Am I missing something? Is there something I don't understand? I didn't really watch his run blocking, was that bad? 

The entire oline stunk as a unit and needs to improve asap but why are we singling out mekhi? He looked like he played reasonably well to me, again, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jolot said:

Dominant force in this league ….lol …ok ..and we’re the ones with blinders on . 

He graded out as a top 7 LT in this league as a 21 year old rookie with no training camp last year. You're out of your league on this one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Another clown take 🤣 

I never took physics, but even I know that a meatball on toothpicks isn't very stable.

SAR I

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sammybighead said:

I'm genuinely confused so can someone who truly understands OL play explain to me please. I watched every pass set and I saw Becton get beat once on a nice inside move by the rusher. I understand elite tackles shouldn't give up any sacks but to say he was horrible seems like a huge stretch to me. Am I missing something? Is there something I don't understand? I didn't really watch his run blocking, was that bad? 

The entire oline stunk as a unit and needs to improve asap but why are we singling out mekhi? He looked like he played reasonably well to me, again, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes...he got beat for a sack once.

But he wasn't good in pass protection.  And I can live with that because he's still young...

But the reality is...he CAN'T stay healthy.    Honestly, he was a guy that had the most raw talent in the draft but other GM's passed on him because his body was simply not capable of dealing with an NFL schedule.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Jolot said:

Wait I’m just processing this , as was pointed out above by Dr McDreamy I’m not that smart …you’re actually trying to say that Becton played good today ? That’s your take ? LoL 

I'm not trying to be a wise guy or sarcastic but can you please let me know what I'm missing? I just didn't see him playing horrible outside of that 1 sack. Is your argument the 1 sack made his whole performance today horrible? I'm open to be convinced but I'm just not sure what I'm missing...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I never took physics, but even I know that a meatball on toothpicks isn't very stable.

SAR I

Honestly,

This is a legitimate take.  Troll or no troll, JD should have seen this a mile away.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jolot said:

Agreed . At this point move him to guard and with any luck  he turns out to be Dave Cadigan 

The hot takes in this thread are getting hot. LOL

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RSJ said:

Becton was terrible. Belongs on the right side or at guard. Not a good enough athlete to play LT


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The problem with bechton is that he’s not the dominant run blocker we hope he is, and then he’s slow in pass protection.  You need to be good at something and right now he’s just not there, either physically or mentally.  We saw it all preseason and the guy just is not locked in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RobR said:

He graded out as a top 7 LT in this league as a 21 year old rookie with no training camp last year. You're out of your league on this one. 

IMG_7940.jpg

....and he came back this offseason in poor condition, fighting "something going on" according to his OC, got a concussion, and had an awful training camp.

We've seen this before.  He's not the first Jet to make millions and act like he's achieved something.

SAR I

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I'm genuinely confused so can someone who truly understands OL play explain to me please. I watched every pass set and I saw Becton get beat once on a nice inside move by the rusher. I understand elite tackles shouldn't give up any sacks but to say he was horrible seems like a huge stretch to me. Am I missing something? Is there something I don't understand? I didn't really watch his run blocking, was that bad? 

The entire oline stunk as a unit and needs to improve asap but why are we singling out mekhi? He looked like he played reasonably well to me, again, please correct me if I'm wrong.

You're not wrong and even elite tackles give up sacks. Just look at how many Brick gave up his first few seasons in the league.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
The problem with bechton is that he’s not the dominant run blocker we hope he is, and then he’s slow in pass protection.  You need to be good at something and right now he’s just not there, either physically or mentally.  We saw it all preseason and the guy just is not locked in.


Yeah I didnt want to make it seem like an over reaction. But honestly he would be best at RG imho. As soon as he left the game the pressure off the edge stopped. When he was in there the pamthers were flying around the edge every play. Makes be think the protection was slid his way and it was still a disaster. The experiment with this guy should be over now. We cant risk hurting this kid at QB. He looks completely legit.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jolot said:

Dominant force in this league ….lol …ok ..and we’re the ones with blinders on . 

No, just another armchair GM who says he knew best.  IF some of you guys are that good, you should be NFL GM's, shouldn't you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I'm not trying to be a wise guy or sarcastic but can you please let me know what I'm missing? I just didn't see him playing horrible outside of that 1 sack. Is your argument the 1 sack made his whole performance today horrible? I'm open to be convinced but I'm just not sure what I'm missing...

Because he didn't play bad outside of the 1 sack, you're not missing anything in terms of his play. 

Even when you asked a simpe question about his play, no one can tell you with evidence thay he played poorly outside of the sack. 

What you are missing is some posters here have decided that they're going to blame Becton for everything. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

 


Yeah I didnt want to make it seem like an over reaction. But honestly he would be best at RG imho. As soon as he left the game the pressure off the edge stopped. When he was in there the pamthers were flying around the edge every play. Makes be think the protection was slid his way and it was still a disaster. The experiment with this guy should be over now. We cant risk hurting this kid at QB. He looks completely legit.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

It was telling that when bechton left, wilson seemed to thrive. Bechton hasn’t been right since he hurt his foot and for all we know he’s still playing thru plantar and not telling anyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Augustiniak said:

It was telling that when bechton left, wilson seemed to thrive. Bechton hasn’t been right since he hurt his foot and for all we know he’s still playing thru plantar and not telling anyone.

Again thats just untrue. Wilson started to thrive while Becton was still in. Remember he got hurt on the first TD. 

You also seem to forget that we still gave up 3 sacks after Becton left

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bgivs21 said:

🤣🤣🤣

You're TV might have been operational but you must've watched with your glasses off. 

Why don't you take another look at the evidence and get this silly narrative that the offense played better when he got hurt out of your head. They started playing better while Becton was in. And this video shows that Becton had a good game on the left side. 

 

Becton had three bad blocks in that film. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
It was telling that when bechton left, wilson seemed to thrive. Bechton hasn’t been right since he hurt his foot and for all we know he’s still playing thru plantar and not telling anyone.


I agree on both points. Its not about sacks either. Its about pressure. Zachs escapability and super quick release means you kind of throw out traditional stats.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Because he didn't play bad outside of the 1 sack, you're not missing anything in terms of his play. 

Even when you asked a simpe question about his play, no one can tell you with evidence thay he played poorly outside of the sack. 

What you are missing is some posters here have decided that they're going to blame Becton for everything. 

 

The thing is I want to be convinced. Please show me an example of two of plays where he stinks and I'll believe it. Full disclosure I would have drafted wirfs all day so I don't have some special loyalty to Becton. But for those saying he stinks, please give me something specific why because I must be missing it....

As some pointed out, his biggest issue is staying healthy whether it's his fault or not

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RobR said:

He graded out as a top 7 LT in this league as a 21 year old rookie with no training camp last year. You're out of your league on this one. 

He sucks , he’s soft , and cries a lot . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
The thing is I want to be convinced. Please show me an example of two of plays where he stinks and I'll believe it. Full disclosure I would have drafted wirfs all day so I don't have some special loyalty to Becton. But for those saying he stinks, please give me something specific why because I must be missing it....
As some pointed out, his biggest issue is staying healthy whether it's his fault or not


By all accounts he was owned all camp. He played really poorly today. They ran way better on the right side. I saw many pressures to his side. I hope its injury. I really do.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RSJ said:

 


Yeah I didnt want to make it seem like an over reaction. But honestly he would be best at RG imho. As soon as he left the game the pressure off the edge stopped. When he was in there the pamthers were flying around the edge every play. Makes be think the protection was slid his way and it was still a disaster. The experiment with this guy should be over now. We cant risk hurting this kid at QB. He looks completely legit.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

He played well last year.  What has happened between the end of last season and this year where he seems to have lost something.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jolot said:

He was the wrong draft pick . I get that JD swung for the fences , but he swung and missed . Wirfs was the pick . Would have plug and played for a decade like DBrick . He blew it .

People here hated brick for the longest time here. So I think we should consider that when looking at how we view becton. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RSJ said:

 


I agree on both points. Its not about sacks either. Its about pressure. Zachs escapability and super quick release means you kind of throw out traditional stats.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

Wilson’s ability to escape pressure and throw on the run while scanning the field should be incorporated into game plans.  I thought they should have used more roll outs today, and had moore/mims/Jeff smith going downfield to exploit this. His accuracy is great and for the first time I’m not cringing every time a jet qb throws downfield.

Link to post
Share on other sites
He played well last year.  What has happened between the end of last season and this year where he seems to have lost something.  


Thats a good question. Could be injury. Could be protection scheme is different. Thats why I dont value PFF. Football stats are kind of useless for the most part.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RSJ said:

 


Thats a good question. Could be injury. Could be protection scheme is different. Thats why I dont value PFF. Football stats are kind of useless for the most part.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

He’s also not getting the same push in the run game and i think that’s more telling than what’s happening in pass pro.  Still wouldn’t be surprised if his foot issue was worse than reported and he’s still fighting it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

 


By all accounts he was owned all camp. He played really poorly today. They ran way better on the right side. I saw many pressures to his side. I hope its injury. I really do.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

Yeah I didn't really review the running plays so I won't comment on that aspect. But are we saying any pressure from the left was on Becton? Maybe this argument can be made if you mean he needs to communicate better with AVT to pick up guys. However, outside of the 1 sack I just didn't see anything he specifically gave up that was of significance. 

I think the whole oline had communication issues because guys were coming in unblocked. If Becton can't iron out the mental aspect of the game to know when to pass off guys and pick up others I can see the "he stinks" argument. But cmon, they all learning a new system after being tainted by gase. I think we need to give them some time to gel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

The thing is I want to be convinced. Please show me an example of two of plays where he stinks and I'll believe it. Full disclosure I would have drafted wirfs all day so I don't have some special loyalty to Becton. But for those saying he stinks, please give me something specific why because I must be missing it....

As some pointed out, his biggest issue is staying healthy whether it's his fault or not

I'm agreeing with you. You're asking for examples that aren't there. Most of the pressure today came up the middle off of stunts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
He’s also not getting the same push in the run game and i think that’s more telling than what’s happening in pass pro.  Still wouldn’t be surprised if his foot issue was worse than reported and he’s still fighting it.


True. Also wouldn’t surprise me if the front office and coaching staff was schematically protecting him last year either.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×
×
  • Create New...