Becton Carted Off (MCL sprain)

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Honestly,

This is a legitimate take.  Troll or no troll, JD should have seen this a mile away.

I would agree with this, if Becton was injured often in College, but he played almost every game.  

Just now, ID. said:

I would agree with this, if Becton was injured often in College, but he played almost every game.  

His body type scared the heck out of me when drafted.  It really did..

Now, maybe it's me being an "I told you so" on this (as I've been wrong many times) but I saw this coming a mile away.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, RSJ said:

By all accounts he was owned all camp. He played really poorly today. They ran way better on the right side. I saw many pressures to his side. I hope its injury. I really do.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

So he wasn't lighting it up in basic walk throughs with shells. Just like Moore was the best thing since sliced bread. Never read too much into these practice tweets we get, many of them are contradictory from the moment the user hits send.

33 minutes ago, RobR said:

He graded out as a top 7 LT in this league as a 21 year old rookie with no training camp last year. You're out of your league on this one. 

PFF had him 31st out of 79 starting Tackles (both right and left) in the league last year.  So while I do think he looked good, he wasnt a top ten player.  He did have a number of penalties and sacks against..  Much more than the truly elite do.

I was kinda hoping that he was going to become that this year.  Which is whats chapping me at the moment, b/c we very much needed him to be that franchise dominant LT that we drafted him to be (and for which he looked like he was capable off)

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

His body type scared the heck out of me when drafted.  It really did..

Now, maybe it's me being an "I told you so" on this (as I've been wrong many times) but I saw this coming a mile away.

It’s a good call-out, hopefully he’s able to get his body right and continue to improve.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

He had a bad game and might be struggling to adapt to the new scheme - but no one should be enjoying one of our guys getting hurt. I also don't get questioning whether he is soft when the lineman rolled over his legs from behind.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes...he got beat for a sack once.

But he wasn't good in pass protection.  And I can live with that because he's still young...

But the reality is...he CAN'T stay healthy.    Honestly, he was a guy that had the most raw talent in the draft but other GM's passed on him because his body was simply not capable of dealing with an NFL schedule.

The big sicket

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

I am no expert on O Line play so this is just casual observation after watching that film (thanks for posting that) I think Becton looks a little slow footed though. He looked like he was struggling dealing with speed to the outside. When he blocked toward the inside he contained the rush in space. I really saw the difference when Fant was in there and he seemed to catch up with the DE on the outside much more efficiently with quicker feet. Maybe a move to Guard might allow him to block with better efficiency in a more confined environment? Just my 2 cents. I like the kid and wish him the best, but he did look a little overmatched as an LT when confronted with a speed rush to the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jolot said:

Did you hear the word “soft”and get summoned ? Like Candyman , or Beetlejuice ? 

No I heard you repeating the word soft over and over and over again.  Like a dyslectic parrot

It was classless and annoying at the same time 

All of which had nothing to do with you calling out @TheMo for being a lot smarter than you 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d imagine that Saleh and LaFleur are at least conflicted over Becton being out for a few weeks. He’s been super-garbage all summer and he was helping to get Wilson smacked around today. It’s not impossible that Fant + Moses combine to be a more consistent, professional pair of tackles than Becton and an out-of-position Fant. If, in a month, Wilson looks comfortable behind the Fant/Moses line, do you risk setting him back by throwing Becton back out there? Or do you make up some excuse to keep Becton out a few more weeks and teach him how to play RG and/or RT? The sole mission for Saleh this year is to get Wilson upright. If Becton isn’t mentally ready to be a professional left tackle, they shouldn’t punish Wilson for that. 

Move Becton to RG or cut him, like they did Yeboah.

DWC, represent.  LOL

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

35 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No I heard you repeating the word soft over and over and over again.  Like a dyslectic parrot

All of which had nothing to do with you calling out @TheMo for being a lot smarter than you 

Ok good , usually when I want you to appear you I would type “Psychopath” 3 times…but “soft “ is easier …as you said I’m kind of simple. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

It's the same old tough guy routine that happens with all these injuries. It's much like the tough guys that keel over when you put a thoracic epidural but will rant about millennials. And yet millennial women in their 30s in the middle of labor handle their epidurals without much of sweat. The whole exercise is rather silly if you ask me.
Most importantly... Can you handle a power shot?!?! I'm looking at you @Mogglez@jetstream23@Dcat@Paradis! Nevermind I know Paradis can't, Canadian bastard ?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, TheMo said:

It's the same old tough guy routine that happens with all these injuries. It's much like the tough guys that keel over when you put a thoracic epidural but will rant about millennials. And yet millennial women in their 30s in the middle of labor handle their epidurals without much of sweat. The whole exercise is rather silly if you ask me.
Most importantly... Can you handle a power shot?!?! I'm looking at you @Mogglez@jetstream23@Dcat@Paradis! Nevermind I know Paradis can't, Canadian bastard ?

This is a football board bro …nobody is impressed. Pipe down son. We played along with your pompous doctor routine for a bit cuz it was funny …be quiet now . Clown . 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jolot said:

This is a football board bro …nobody is impressed. Pipe down son. We played along with your pompous doctor routine for a bit cuz it was funny …be quiet now . Clown . 

I'm shaking in my boots. Are you going to stuff me in locker now "brah"? Point is not to impress. It's just that what you're saying regarding an injury is actually wrong. Like saying a touchdown is worth 4 points. But carry on. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheMo said:

I'm shaking in my boots. Are you going to stuff me in locker now "brah"? Point is not to impress. It's just that what you're saying regarding an injury is actually wrong. Like saying a touchdown is worth 4 points. But carry on. 

Nobody cares what you do for a living ,I’m a cop …moron, I’ve been on the board for 13 years and never talk about it ..pipe down son .I’ve had enough . We’re done here . 

1 minute ago, Jolot said:

Nobody cares what you do for a living ,I’m a cop …moron, I’ve been on the board for 13 years and never talk about it ..pipe down son .I’ve had enough . We’re done here . 

And that would actually make you an expert on policing. I defer to you on anything related to that. You know WAY more about that than me.  Idk why you're so triggered about this issue. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jolot said:

Did you hear the word “soft”and get summoned ? Like Candyman , or Beetlejuice ? 

24 minutes ago, Jolot said:

15 minutes ago, Jolot said:

Officer Jolot, I know you said you are done with this conversation, so I am reticent to reignite the flames, but I am compelled to comment on the dialogue we have all witnessed on this page.  Undoubtedly, your position that Becton is soft and TheMo's position that he experienced a medical ailment with quantifiable levels of pain are not deeply in tension with each other.  Becton may be soft for reasons unrelated to his reaction to the injury he experienced today.  In other words, we may be able to conclude that, regardless of his pain tolerance (or lack thereof) to today's injury he does not have the right disposition to set a physical tone for our offensive line. 

Given the apparent lack of tension in your respective positions, I do not fully understand why this evolved into a dispute where people's egos came into play.  It seems to me that you are feeling isolated because you were rejected for taking what seems like a common-sense football fan position -- e.g., "hey, this player I don't like is soft.  And, once you voiced your objection to the rejection of your position, you found that posters were suggesting you were stupid or not worthy of commenting on the subject because of your professional background.   While your initial post suggests that you are not exactly empathetic to Becton, I also think that you weren't treated with much empathy here.

Regardless of the above, my experience in journalism school taught me that referring to players as "tough" or "soft" is not the most useful dichotomy and doesn't really get to the heart of fundamental issues with players.  Smarter players and teams think a lot about how to put a player in the best position to succeed with conditioning, injury, pain, and other factors in mind.  The fact that Becton has not been the right guy to play due to injury or pain tolerance speaks to a combination of his mental health, physical conditioning, general focus, comprehension of game plan, and his ability to match up with respective edge rushers.  That combination has not been a winning combination for much of the second half of last season, preseason, and the first game.  I think you could have articulated your position in an unassailable way that would have earned praise and would have even been a decent amateur journalistic insight.  But, in the understandable quest for brevity, you left too much open to interpretation and people rejected your position as outdated, machismo, and insecure.  

• Haha 1