Where the bleep was Mims all game?

JetBlue

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

You mean after he spun around, getting a few extra yards before being pushed OB?

Daughter Reaction GIF

I really don't know what he expected the guy to do, especially when you come off the bench practically cold and make the biggest yardage play of the game... 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BloodGreen said:

Mims could have continued that play after the catch instead of giving up once contact was made. I am guessing it is that type of play that reflects on attitude and work ethic, that has him in the dog house. Talent is there, but his lack of finish on that play today spoke volumes about his heart. Just my opinion and gut reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Exactly.  A good player gets his a$$ into the end zone on that play, or at least tries.  “Content” just to make the catch and then pirouette out of bounds is why the CS is unhappy with him.

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

Whatever Man.  I made my point, I have no interest in going back on forth on something that is currently unknowable.  What Darnold has to do with this is beyond.   BTW Darnold did suck; was it all his fault, no it wasn't the the results were the results.   Now he has a decent offense around him and a coaching staff that is committed to helping him improve.  He didn't have that here, unfortunately.  

Again, knowing isn’t the standard. Reasonableness is. Mims is the most physically gifted WR on the Jets. He barely plays. It’s not rocket surgery.

On 9/12/2021 at 4:44 PM, BallinPB said:

No.  Robby Anderson’s TD out coverage was just clearly beat.  

Mims catch the cornerback was expecting help from the safety that wasn’t there.  

2 different things.  

Joyner goes out with an injury, Redwine who came to this team this week blows his assignment on Anderson, fans think Anderson just beat the coverage and with Mims, the only reason he gets a catch because the S wasnt there.

LOL

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I really don't know what he expected the guy to do, especially when you come off the bench practically cold and make the biggest yardage play of the game... 

Do you know why he wasnt in the game?

Maybe there was a good reason.

You think the CS just felt like playing with another WR?  Why?  Because they want to lose?

27 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

What about Moore? Was a star of camp and was non exisistent.. no help for wilson

Dude is a rookie who missed all of the preseason.  This is the NFL regular season and guys are not running around in shorts.  Give him a little time; he will be fine.   

3 hours ago, Icer said:

He might not be great but we dont need 3 of the same type of player getting snaps before him (Crowder, Berrios, J. Smith) on the outside.

I think the game plan today was designed for running to set up play action with wilson sitting in the pocket but when the pass pro was so bad, they used berrios more for shorter routes.  They seem to view mims as a wildcard deeper play threat right now, with davis/moore/berrios/crowder as more of the move the chains guys along with the TEs and rbs.  Yet, the offense clicked when wilson went into 2 minute mode and started moving around and slinging it downfield.  That’s not what the coaches want to do to have to move the chains but they can’t allow wilson to be a pure pocket passer vs NE and not expect the same poor results.  They need all the weapons on the field and they need to move wilson around so he has more time to hit guys like moore and mims downfield.  That will open up the runs.

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Yup.

On the coaches.

Again, I hope they learn....so caught up in their own virtue and not giving their best players reps.

• Like 1

No gas today. The o-line was man handled. The d-line was gashed by Mc Caffrey and put no pressure on Darnold. The Panther O- line was regarded as the weak link, still we only came up with one sack. One big mistake Davis made in the draft was not to add more offensive linemen. One of them ( a 4th rounder) is starting for the Steelers another ( 6th rounder?) is starting for KC.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Criminal that Jeff Smith gets more snaps then him. Trade him if you're not gonna play him. 

I've obviously been very bullish on Mims but I agree with this.  If he's not a fit for this system and/or is pissing off the coaches, find a trade partner. 

We say we want to play the young guys but even with a bunch of WR injuries, Mims can't see the field?  Come on now.  

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, undertow said:

Maybe there was a reason he dropped 50 spots in the draft that online scouts weren't aware of and taking him wasn't the stroke of genius it was made out to be.

It's a real puzzle because Douglas obviously passed on him once when he traded down in the 2nd round.  But he had interviewed the kid twice pre-draft and still took him when he was sitting there in the late 2nd.  So while he clearly wasn't in love with Mims he still felt good enough to take him in the end.

My guess is Douglas took a shot at his athleticism like he's done at other spots on the field and decided any red flags he had could be overcome.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's a real puzzle because Douglas obviously passed on him once when he traded down in the 2nd round.  But he interviewed the kid twice and still took him when he was sitting there in the late 2nd.  

My guess is Douglas took a shot at his athleticism like he's done at other spots on the field and decided any red flags he had could be overcome.  

At this point my guess is that his route running is still raw compared to the other wrs and they want guys in there who are better equipped to help wilson.  Problem is, they need weapons and you know NE is going to take away the running game next week and wilson will be back there running around and you need guys like mims who can make you pay.  They need to work him in, you need guys with his measureables.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Theres something going on with mims.

behind the scenes 100%

otherwise the coaches would play him simple as that

I really hope this is the case.  

Because he needs to be on the field as his talent far surpasses what we're putting out there.

If it's just out spite of some other nonsense they need to suck it up.  Hopefully there's more to it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

LaFleur is Shotty 2.0

Paul Hackett.  Mike Heimerdinger.  Brian Schottenheimer.  Tony Sparano.  Marty Mornhinweg.  Chan Gailey.  John Morton.  Jeremy Bates.  Dowell Loggains.  And now Mike LaFleur.

How many OC's do we have to go through and try to scapegoat for our problems on offense before people start to realize that maybe OC's aren't THAT important?  

These are pro athletes we're talking about.  They're the ones who have to make the plays on the field, no matter the system, scheme, technique, play-calling or personalities of the coaches.  If your offense has talent, they will succeed.  if they don't, especially at QB, they won't.  Some OC's are absolutely better than others, but they all tend to get blamed far too much when an offense fails.

We haven't had a franchise QB since Namath.  If Wilson is the first since then, we'll all love LaFleur or whichever OC this team has in that spot.  If Wilson sucks, people will piss and moan about LaFleur as if he's never coached before.  That's how it always goes.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's a real puzzle because Douglas obviously passed on him once when he traded down in the 2nd round.  But he had interviewed the kid twice pre-draft and still took him when he was sitting there in the late 2nd.  So while he clearly wasn't in love with Mims he still felt good enough to take him in the end.

That's exactly what happened.  Douglas didn't love anyone at that spot so he traded back...when Mims then fell to him he thought the talent was too good to pass on.  Not this grand scheme were he knew he wasn't on anyone else's board and traded back and still got his guy that makes no sense when a player drops that far.   I like JD but people went overboard with all that sh*t.  He obviously had red flags and we are seeing them now. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Mega crickets from Q today.  And most of the defense too.  Was Mosley napping?  DC forget how to call blitzes?

I thought the rookie DBs played well.  The tackling was the best I’ve seen from a Jets team in years.  Physical too. You could hear the tackling on TV.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I thought the rookie DBs played well.  The tackling was the best I’ve seen from a Jets team in years.  Physical too. You could hear the tackling on TV.

I've been trashing the secondary now for weeks, I will admit a bit of defeat on this one (at least for game 1) I never expected our D Line to be the problem after game 1. 

5 hours ago, JetBlue said:

This game comes down to poor play of the offensive line and Mike Lefleur and his love affair with Braxton Berrios.  Where the actual f**k was Mims the entire game????  He gets on the field and all he does is make the biggest play of the game;  the dude is a walking mismatch.  I hope and pray that after this game Lefleur gets his head out his ass and gets Mims on the field.  They said he had his best practice on Friday and yet he is an afterthought.   I realize Moore was a little rusty so after missing all preseason plus no Keelan Cole and yet who do I see every freaking time?  BB!  Look not saying can't be a contributer but Mims can be a special player of given the opportunity.  the fact that he wasn't on the field much was criminal.

I half agree with you.  Mims needs to be on the field more. 

It's not Berrios that's keeping him off the field, Berrios plays the slot, it's Smith, and I sure don't get it. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Theres something going on with mims.

behind the scenes 100%

otherwise the coaches would play him simple as that

Two of the first things I was taught is that:  (1) there is no such thing as "behind the scenes", there's just things you don't understand and (2) if you want to make a big prediction about someone's livelihood--i.e., whether they are liked by their employer--you better have good sourcing.  

As far as point one goes, I think watching Denzel Mims dispassionately you could infer a lot, including that he only was able to make a play on a go-route--i.e., one of the simplest routes that most HS-level WRs are able to operate.  If that is the extent of his route tree then, sorry to spoil it for you champ, but he's not going to save Zach Wilson from getting clobbered by the big boys on the defensive line.

As far as point two goes, its not hard to find sources from the hardworking Jets beat writers who have analyzed Denzel Mims' standing on the roster.  You can cite to one of the professionals if you cared...