Where the bleep was Mims all game?

JetBlue

5 hours ago, BloodGreen said:

Mims could have continued that play after the catch instead of giving up once contact was made. I am guessing it is that type of play that reflects on attitude and work ethic, that has him in the dog house. Talent is there, but his lack of finish on that play today spoke volumes about his heart. Just my opinion and gut reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

No he couldn’t of continued the play…. 

pic 1: after he secured the catch, he was already out of bounds. 

Pic 2: after he spun around the 2nd defender already engaged in pushing him out 

3rd Pic: out of bounds. 

there wasn’t a chance for Mimms to continue the play and score, like some in this thread contend that he should’ve if he was a good player. 

87EBAA06-0CB5-4F78-A24F-08091A38CAC0.png

BC324F6B-D146-4866-BED6-0DED7B8C4564.png

B947BACE-0A86-44F3-85CE-51D1916BC0B4.png

• Upvote 2

Mims could have continued that play after the catch instead of giving up once contact was made. I am guessing it is that type of play that reflects on attitude and work ethic, that has him in the dog house. Talent is there, but his lack of finish on that play today spoke volumes about his heart. Just my opinion and gut reaction.

Sorry for the triple post 

Damn it!!!

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

He's Stephen Hill, he also was the most physically gifted wr we had.

43 minutes ago, longsuffering88 said:

He is in no way, Hill

if you think that, you need a forum timeout

My sports journalism professor explained to our class that the use of comparisons can, at its best, be an effective tool for contextualizing performance.  At its worst, its a sad reflection of our own mortality as we begin to perceive events of the present day through the prism of past unrelated performances and ultimately wind up going through a Sisyphean task of turning on the TV every Sunday to watch the same performance--the performance our mind manifests through visions of the past.  

I would argue that comparing Denzel Mims to Stephen Hill could be a useful comparison if the commenter, Beerfish, noted that Denzel Mims and Stephen Hill both: (1) have impressive size and speed for their size, (2) possess limitations with respect to their route tree, and (3) faced a real challenge to develop upon their natural talent early in their career.  

However, I believe it is necessary to articulate those similarities because there are also meaningful differences between the two players.  I worry that anyone that breathlessly compares Denzel Mims and Stephen Hill may be staring at the dark void and grasping for footing by conjuring players from yesteryear.  

On the other hand, my sports journalism professor also said its important to keep things light, at least with respect to coverage of football, and sarcasm can be a useful tool.  So apologies if I am being dense.  

46 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

You shouldn’t drink on game day. Just eat fish.

Injured year one and missed half the year

Should be coming into camp year two ready to just rip it up and show something great.

Looks bad enough to be stuffed down the depth chart and then gets hurt again.

I havent seen it, i have not seen good crisp patterns, i have not seen a good looking wr.

Want to show me something?  Put together about 6 really  good games, force your way up the depth chart, impress me.

1 hour ago, doitny said:

no but this week i imagine this board will want JDs head. 

But do you not think that it is merely a vocal minority of fans of the New York Jets that will be calling for the termination of Joe Douglas?  I can empathize with the desire of fans to have some semblance of control in their lives.  Whether its a sporting event , finding companionship in an age of isolation, or moving up the ladder in one's respective career, we want instant gratification and struggle in the face of challenges and the easiest thing to grasp onto is the idea of taking back control of outcomes by making a fundamental change to oneself in attempt to avoid experiencing the same struggles.  But some struggles are constant.  Only one team wins the super bowl each year, or no matter how much we accomplish in our profession the job will not give you a sense of worth if you do not have it already, or you will be a lonely person regardless of whether you meet the perfect partner if you are not open and vulnerable.  

The Jets fans that, in a heat of passion declare the season over after one quarter, or call for the termination of staff and players are looking for control where no control can be found.  Those who mock the doom-posters are looking for social acceptance signaling their relative stability and may obtain that sense of acceptance.    

The discourse between the two factions often devolves into people talking past each other and, to be honest, the substance of the sporting performance plays second fiddle to bickering and one-upsmanship.  

2 minutes ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

But do you not think that it is merely a vocal minority of fans of the New York Jets that will be calling for the termination of Joe Douglas?  I can empathize with the desire of fans to have some semblance of control in their lives.  Whether its a sporting event , finding companionship in an age of isolation, or moving up the ladder in one's respective career, we want instant gratification and struggle in the face of challenges and the easiest thing to grasp onto is the idea of taking back control of outcomes by making a fundamental change to oneself in attempt to avoid experiencing the same struggles.  But some struggles are constant.  Only one team wins the super bowl each year, or no matter how much we accomplish in our profession the job will not give you a sense of worth if you do not have it already, or you will be a lonely person regardless of whether you meet the perfect partner if you are not open and vulnerable.  

The Jets fans that, in a heat of passion declare the season over after one quarter, or call for the termination of staff and players are looking for control where no control can be found.  Those who mock the doom-posters are looking for social acceptance signaling their relative stability and may obtain that sense of acceptance.    

The discourse between the two factions often devolves into people talking past each other and, to be honest, the substance of the sporting performance plays second fiddle to bickering and one-upsmanship.  

oh it will be a minority, in fact the same few who do it now, just they will be louder. you got to give them the whole season. 

i see there concerns. im not blind. Becton is a serious problem. hes too fat. he needs to lose another 20-30 pds and that probably wont happen to next offseason.

14 minutes ago, doitny said:

oh it will be a minority, in fact the same few who do it now, just they will be louder. you got to give them the whole season. 

i see there concerns. im not blind. Becton is a serious problem. hes too fat. he needs to lose another 20-30 pds and that probably wont happen to next offseason.

Your point reminds me of something my favorite Sports Journalism professor taught me.  Covering sports is not about being a support group for unhealthy fans that have over-invested their time into obsessively following the workings of a team.  Nonetheless, such people partially populate the community of readers (or, in this case, forum participants).  You cannot avoid their perspective, but you must stand by your own perspective and where necessary refute the falsehoods that have propagated in the hearts of the beleaguered wretches.  In any event, if a sporting event like Football is comparable to the gladiator battles of yesteryear it stands to reason that the viewers would have a nearly epigenetic sense of right-and-wrong and life-and-death sense of the outcome of games.  It is ingrained in us.  But to transcend that aspect of viewing a game to actually understanding the reasons why it occurred should be the goal.  And we can all do better to comprehend a game in both its hyper-narrative import and its technical nuances.  

52 minutes ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

Your point reminds me of something my favorite Sports Journalism professor taught me.  Covering sports is not about being a support group for unhealthy fans that have over-invested their time into obsessively following the workings of a team.  Nonetheless, such people partially populate the community of readers (or, in this case, forum participants).  You cannot avoid their perspective, but you must stand by your own perspective and where necessary refute the falsehoods that have propagated in the hearts of the beleaguered wretches.  In any event, if a sporting event like Football is comparable to the gladiator battles of yesteryear it stands to reason that the viewers would have a nearly epigenetic sense of right-and-wrong and life-and-death sense of the outcome of games.  It is ingrained in us.  But to transcend that aspect of viewing a game to actually understanding the reasons why it occurred should be the goal.  And we can all do better to comprehend a game in both its hyper-narrative import and its technical nuances.  

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Injured year one and missed half the year

Should be coming into camp year two ready to just rip it up and show something great.

Looks bad enough to be stuffed down the depth chart and then gets hurt again.

I havent seen it, i have not seen good crisp patterns, i have not seen a good looking wr.

Want to show me something?  Put together about 6 really  good games, force your way up the depth chart, impress me.

Then give him time. Gase screwed this kid up and injuries, covid, lack of training camp didnt help. You just cant give up on a player just like that.  New QB, HC, OC...lot to deal with. 

1 hour ago, doitny said:

Why? they are plenty of OL that are his size. Moses is like 360. As is the kid from Bama Neal. He's 360-370. 

12 hours ago, BallinPB said:

His catch was busted coverage.  

I’m not saying he shouldn’t have been in but let’s not overreact to that one catch.  

Even if it was contested, odds are he comes down with it. We've seen it in the past. He fights for the ball.....

8 hours ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

Two of the first things I was taught is that:  (1) there is no such thing as "behind the scenes", there's just things you don't understand and (2) if you want to make a big prediction about someone's livelihood--i.e., whether they are liked by their employer--you better have good sourcing.  

As far as point one goes, I think watching Denzel Mims dispassionately you could infer a lot, including that he only was able to make a play on a go-route--i.e., one of the simplest routes that most HS-level WRs are able to operate.  If that is the extent of his route tree then, sorry to spoil it for you champ, but he's not going to save Zach Wilson from getting clobbered by the big boys on the defensive line.

As far as point two goes, its not hard to find sources from the hardworking Jets beat writers who have analyzed Denzel Mims' standing on the roster.  You can cite to one of the professionals if you cared...

OMG it's Jimmy Cannon

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

Two of the first things I was taught is that:  (1) there is no such thing as "behind the scenes", there's just things you don't understand and (2) if you want to make a big prediction about someone's livelihood--i.e., whether they are liked by their employer--you better have good sourcing.  

As far as point one goes, I think watching Denzel Mims dispassionately you could infer a lot, including that he only was able to make a play on a go-route--i.e., one of the simplest routes that most HS-level WRs are able to operate.  If that is the extent of his route tree then, sorry to spoil it for you champ, but he's not going to save Zach Wilson from getting clobbered by the big boys on the defensive line.

As far as point two goes, its not hard to find sources from the hardworking Jets beat writers who have analyzed Denzel Mims' standing on the roster.  You can cite to one of the professionals if you cared...

Wow.

I have no source I am simply speculating. This is a message board after all.

Theres something going on with that guy behind the scene.  You and I are not privy to it wether you believe that or not.

my guess? He has a 2 cent head and cant learn a playbook

10 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

A good OC will find a way to get his most talented players the ball.

ML seems to want to play head games.  He needs to get over it.

Whatever Mims issues are - aren't Mims issues, they're ML issues and he needs to figure out how to make utilize him.  

Unfortunately we don’t have a good OC

7 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Journalism 102 

Who What Where Why When Which HUH

kr.jpg

I get that sometimes my writing is a bit dense or inaccessible or strives for tackling heady subjects that aren't the first and more obvious means of analyzing sports.  I am a work in progress (aren't we all).  I have been attempting to emulate the stylistic and intellectual innovations that David Foster Wallace brought to the long form essay because I think it is largely absent from the coverage of Football.  Most of my drafts have been roughly 30 pages to date.  So I get your criticism, but its sort of like you are assuming I was attempting to write a blog post about why [insert Jet] is going to do good this year, when in fact I'm trying to understand things we take for granted in sports in a more comprehensive way.  

4 hours ago, Claymation said:

Berrios made some plays yesterday from the slot. 7 targets, 5 receptions for 51 yards. And a big 4th and 8 completion.

Berrios is a better player and has heart-it is really that simple-he is a jaq but one with heart that gets most out of his ability -he could be our cole beasley  type 

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Wow.

I have no source I am simply speculating. This is a message board after all.

Theres something going on with that guy behind the scene.  You and I are not privy to it wether you believe that or not.

my guess? He has a 2 cent head and cant learn a playbook

I believe we are talking past each other at this point.  I believe your insight that Denzel Mims has a "2 cent head" and that he "can[']t learn a playbook" is worth exploring and does not require in-depth access to the person.  We can watch his film and, for example, assess how his route tree has developed.  We can also watch his interviews and get a general sense of his ability to articulate his thoughts, deal with complex questions, and cognize his responses to stimuli.  Finally, we can talk to third-party experts about intellectual misgivings of unsuccessful athletes and compare notes.  After engaging in that multiple source analysis you might have a decent article you could prepare about the mind of Denzel Mims and would be able to prepare it entirely from internet sources and the expert consultant.  

49 minutes ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

I believe we are talking past each other at this point.  I believe your insight that Denzel Mims has a "2 cent head" and that he "can[']t learn a playbook" is worth exploring and does not require in-depth access to the person.  We can watch his film and, for example, assess how his route tree has developed.  We can also watch his interviews and get a general sense of his ability to articulate his thoughts, deal with complex questions, and cognize his responses to stimuli.  Finally, we can talk to third-party experts about intellectual misgivings of unsuccessful athletes and compare notes.  After engaging in that multiple source analysis you might have a decent article you could prepare about the mind of Denzel Mims and would be able to prepare it entirely from internet sources and the expert consultant.  

Very interesting. Do you have any film of your route tree prowess?  

19 hours ago, BallinPB said:

His catch was busted coverage.  

I’m not saying he shouldn’t have been in but let’s not overreact to that one catch.  

Yeah, I am huge Mims guy but he just jogged into an open spot of the zone and caught the ball. He didn't do anything special that would define a WR as good/bad:

1- Didn't run an elite route

2- Didn't show elite speed

3- Didn't show contested ball ability

4- Didn't show any YAC ability

5- DID show he can catch a ball when wide open. 

So yeah, let's take it easy on the Mims love. But I do  hope they give him a bigger role. He is a big/fast kid that has shown pretty good hands in real games. Not sure why he is getting the Herndon treatment.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Claymation said:

Berrios made some plays yesterday from the slot. 7 targets, 5 receptions for 51 yards. And a big 4th and 8 completion.

Right not, bad but why was Mims not in the game and then only targeted once???  If are going to be depending on BB every week this team may not win a game this year.