Where the bleep was Mims all game?

JetBlue

14 hours ago, flgreen said:

I half agree with you.  Mims needs to be on the field more. 

It's not Berrios that's keeping him off the field, Berrios plays the slot, it's Smith, and I sure don't get it. 

Apparently we are not the only ones not getting it....  

https://www.jetnation.com/2021/09/13/jets-handling-of-denzel-mims-reaches-point-of-absurdity/

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

This is not boy scouts its the NFL,  1 catch for negative yards? How is he a star in camp but has 1 catch game 1?

If you can't figure that out then there is no point in having a discussion.  Moore will be fine. 

14 hours ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

Two of the first things I was taught is that:  (1) there is no such thing as "behind the scenes", there's just things you don't understand and (2) if you want to make a big prediction about someone's livelihood--i.e., whether they are liked by their employer--you better have good sourcing.  

As far as point one goes, I think watching Denzel Mims dispassionately you could infer a lot, including that he only was able to make a play on a go-route--i.e., one of the simplest routes that most HS-level WRs are able to operate.  If that is the extent of his route tree then, sorry to spoil it for you champ, but he's not going to save Zach Wilson from getting clobbered by the big boys on the defensive line.

As far as point two goes, its not hard to find sources from the hardworking Jets beat writers who have analyzed Denzel Mims' standing on the roster.  You can cite to one of the professionals if you cared...

No the Jets are screwing this up, plain and simple.  Last year he managed to get open and catch plenty of passes when the ball was thrown to him, not to mention make extra effort plays.  First game of the year and he gets ONE PASS THROWN HIS WAY????  THE ENTIRE GAME???  I don't care what reasons you give, that is TOTALLY unacceptable and I am not the only one who can see this. 

https://www.jetnation.com/2021/09/13/jets-handling-of-denzel-mims-reaches-point-of-absurdity/

Jets Handling of Denzel Mims Reaches Point of Absurdity

Denzel Mims’ relationship with the New York Jets has been a strange one through his first season-plus as a pro, and it took another turn for the worse in the Jets season-opening 19-14 loss to the Carolina Panthers.

Having spent the entire off-season buried on the depth chart despite showing big play potential as a rookie, Mims had a strong showing in the pre-season when given the opportunity and was in position for a significant role against the Panthers this Sunday with both Keelan Cole and Jamison Crowder on the shelf.

The result?  Mims didn’t see a single target until late in the fourth quarter.  All he did was haul in Zach Wilson’s longest completion of the day with a 40-yard grab.

Meanwhile, Braxton Berrios, Jeff Smith, Ryan Griffin and Tyler Croft combined for nineteen total targets with none of them coming close to a chunk play as big as Mims on his lone opportunity.

The handling of Mims defies logic at this point.  Even if the receiver isn’t a “great fit” for the Jets offensive scheme, it’s up to Mike LaFleur and company to find ways to get a 6′ 4” receiver with game-breaking speed and strong hands involved in the offense.  We saw from Mims last season that he’s not afraid to go over the middle, is more than capable of picking up yards after the catch and is far more than what some viewed as a “one trick pony” who was only capable of running “go” routes.

If it turns out the Jets have brought another offensive coordinator on board who refuses to play his best players due to personal preference and not ability or production, things could get ugly in a hurry.

Damn I had forgotten that both Cole and Crowder were out.  How is it even possible that Mims was not featured more in the offense?????   He lost reps to Jeff Smith?? Jeff Freaking Smith???  Is LeFleur out of his ******* mind???!!!??? 

17 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Theres something going on with mims.

behind the scenes 100%

otherwise the coaches would play him simple as that

No the only thing going on is a rookie OC so caught up in his "system", he is not putting all of his best offensive players in position to succeed.   

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

No the only thing going on is a rookie OC so caught up in his "system", he is not putting all of his best offensive players in position to succeed.   

thats HIGHLY unlikely. Look were all speculating but the thought that mims has a great work ethic and is mastering the playbook and blowing people away at camp but the OC just doesnt want to use him is outright absurd.

next.....

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

No the Jets are screwing this up, plain and simple.  Last year he managed to get open and catch plenty of passes when the ball was thrown to him, not to mention make extra effort plays.  First game of the year and he gets ONE PASS THROWN HIS WAY????  THE ENTIRE GAME???  I don't care what reasons you give, that is TOTALLY unacceptable and I am not the only one who can see this. 

I think you are confusing me for someone that changes their position because a counterpoint was repeated with absolutely no additional details in a louder and slower voice.  I am happy to get into the finer details of his performance if you will adopt a civil tone...

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vic said:

Mims is talented. Make the system fit the players, not the other way around.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

I agree, but he needs to prove he can get open. I doubt he is dominating in practice and the Jets are sitting him because they don't like him personally. 

Again, I am a Mims fan and MUCH prefer to see him succeed than see Berrios playing (although they do play different positions) but we are all reacting to a play yesterday where he did nothing remotely special other than not drop a ball.  He didn't run a good route, he didn't win a contested catch situation, he didn't break any tackles.  He simply jogged to a soft spot in a zone and made an easy catch. 

2 hours ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Whats the infactuation with Mims ?  Is he the next coming of Jerry Rice ?  If the coached dont think hes deserving of minutes then he wont get them. Entirely new system put in and aint like he's been available all preseason . People act like he lit it up last year  .

But he kind of did when Flacco was under center (Darnold is an awful deep-ball thrower, hence why Flacco was a big upgrade for Mims). 

Small sample, yes, but on a per-game basis, Mims' numbers when paired with Flacco were the 6th or 7th best of any rookie receiver last year.  And considering how loaded last year's WR class was that's pretty solid.  And we saw, again, in a limited sample what he could do yesterday.  He was barely on the field all day yet all it took was 1 catch (on 1 target) for him to finish 3rd on the team in receiving yardage.  

So when some argue that people are obsessed with Mims or overrating him, I ask the opposite....why are people already counting a clearly talented WR as a bust already?  Because of 2nd round WR failures in the past like Stephen Hill, who he shares very few similarities to? 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

He was with the third stringers for a reason. Only reason he played yesterday was cuz our WR depth was banged up. Don’t expect greatness after 1 catch. 

No one ever said anything about greatness.  And it also isn't just about 1 catch yesterday.  It's about him averaging 8.9 yards per target when paired with Flacco last year, too, and passing the eye test when he did so.  

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I agree, but he needs to prove he can get open.

Does he though?  With his size/speed/hands combo (and no, I'm not saying he's "special" in any of those 3 dimensions, only that he's shown enough to say he can do the job as a deep threat) he's a guy you can "throw open" with back shoulder tosses, draw PI flags, and/or have him "post up" on smaller DB's when needed too.  

And he was open quite a lot last year.  Flacco found him and people who watch the games or analyze the plays reported he was open a lot for Darnold (who couldn't find him and also has poor deep ball accuracy).  

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But he kind of did when Flacco was under center (Darnold is an awful deep-ball thrower, hence why Flacco was a big upgrade for Mims). 

Small sample, yes, but on a per-game basis, Mims' numbers when paired with Flacco were the 6th or 7th best of any rookie receiver last year.  And considering how loaded last year's WR class was that's pretty solid.  And we saw, again, in a limited sample what he could do yesterday.  He was barely on the field all day yet all it took was 1 catch (on 1 target) for him to finish 3rd on the team in receiving yardage.  

So when some argue that people are obsessed with Mims or overrating him, I ask the opposite....why are people already counting a clearly talented WR as a bust already?  Because of 2nd round WR failures in the past like Stephen Hill, who he shares very few similarities to? 

This is called a new coaching staff outsmarting itself.  They forced the old 49ers run first game plan all first half and got zero points.  Ran every first down.  Ran on 4th and 1 when it was clear the panthers knew what was coming and the jets couldn’t run all game.  Stubborn offensive coaching staff not using everything they have.  Let’s see if it changes next week, b/c NE will certainly be coming at wilson and the jets can’t have him sitting back in the pocket waiting to get nailed. 

• Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This is called a new coaching staff outsmarting itself.  They forced the old 49ers run first game plan all first half and got zero points.  Ran every first down.  Ran on 4th and 1 when it was clear the panthers knew what was coming and the jets couldn’t run all game.  Stubborn offensive coaching staff not using everything they have.  Let’s see if it changes next week, b/c NE will certainly be coming at wilson and the jets can’t have him sitting back in the pocket waiting to get nailed. 

Belichick always destroys rookie QB's.  I'm definitely worried about that.  But I'm not worried about the coaching staff making necessary adjustments....yet.

Remember, this is probably more about big picture/culture stuff right now rather than X's and O's.  Sending the right message to players that you have to earn the playing time and nothing is handed to you based on raw talent. 

And that kind of thing is a Shanahan kind of deal, too.  Yesterday we saw the 49ers bench 3rd round rookie RB Trey Sermon as a healthy scratch, instead activating 6th rounder Elijah Mitchell (who performed very well) and JaMycal Hasty.  Is that the last we'll ever see of Sermon?  Of course not.  But the 49ers are all about culture, and I believe we're seeing Saleh bring those elements here, too.  

Saleh was just on the Michael Kay Show and slipped that Mims was the 4th WR yesterday. Berrios was in front of him. so that answers as to way he got in on only 2 plays. 

now why was he behind Berrios is another question. so when Cole and Crowder are back that makes Mims the 6th WR.

33 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

Ohh okay I feel better now because YOU said so 

No you should feel better because the guy can play and missed all of camp. Only an idiot would think he would not be a bit rusty after not playing all that time.  So feel how ever you want but use some brain cells and you will be okay. 

3 hours ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

I think you are confusing me for someone that changes their position because a counterpoint was repeated with absolutely no additional details in a louder and slower voice.  I am happy to get into the finer details of his performance if you will adopt a civil tone...

Actually I really don't care that much what you think.  I am totally pissed that they are misusing the guy or not using at all. Sorry if my tone offends you; I hope you are kidding about that.  Bottom line is I'm sick of this team doing this over and over.   

On 9/12/2021 at 4:44 PM, BallinPB said:

No.  Robby Anderson’s TD out coverage was just clearly beat.  

Mims catch the cornerback was expecting help from the safety that wasn’t there.  

2 different things.  

I do not know who was responsible for the blown coverage, but Sheldon Redwine - who was trailing the play - was not asked by the Jets coaches to play 30 yards off the ball in the middle of the field.  Nobody was on Robby until Redwine saw him running at full speed straight at him.  Then it was too late.  A corner blew his assignment imo.

35 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

No you should feel better because the guy can play and missed all of camp. Only an idiot would think he would not be a bit rusty after not playing all that time.  So feel how ever you want but use some brain cells and you will be okay. 

So someone who been playing football all his life is rusty? Brain cells? Guess you don't have many, not like he's trying something after not trying for 20 years that would be rust

• WTF? 1

10 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Wow.

I have no source I am simply speculating. This is a message board after all.

Theres something going on with that guy behind the scene.  You and I are not privy to it wether you believe that or not.

my guess? He has a 2 cent head and cant learn a playbook

I tend to agree with this.

It’s one of three things:

1) He really isn’t good (which is very hard to believe)

2) He’s somehow in the dog house and we just don’t know what’s going on

3) He’s not a system fit and our OC is too obtuse to find a way to put his best talent on the field   

2 seems like the most likely scenario   
3 would be the worst case scenario because then we don’t have an OC and the offense will struggle until he’s fired 

He had 23 catches in 10 games ,,,cut it out

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Probably the first major thing I disagree with the coaching staff on. 
He’s gotta know all 3 spots??? Gtfo. If he knows one at a high level he should be playing. Probably like how the “main 3” do. 

Does Mims really need to learn the Slot? Give me a break. 

Sorry, but this is professional football. You play your best players. Even if you don’t like the guy. 

• Upvote 1