Where the bleep was Mims all game?

JetBlue

2 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:
Probably the first major thing I disagree with the coaching staff on. 
He’s gotta know all 3 spots??? Gtfo. If he knows one at a high level he should be playing. Probably like how the “main 3” do. 

I agree fully with this.  I get that the coaching staff values versatility, and there's a lot of merit to that philosophy.  And I like the type of WR's we brought in this offseason as a result.  But coaches also have to adapt their scheme to the personnel sometimes.  It's OK to have ONE guy out there on the field who is a pure deep threat, no?  Is it that damaging to the scheme if he can't handle slot receiver duties?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I agree fully with this.  I get that the coaching staff values versatility, and there's a lot of merit to that philosophy.  And I like the type of WR's we brought in this offseason as a result.  But coaches also have to adapt their scheme to the personnel sometimes.  It's OK to have ONE guy out there on the field who is a pure deep threat, no?  Is it that damaging to the scheme if he can't handle slot receiver duties?

It was the offensive coaching that didn’t adapt until late 3rd quarter, so maybe they realize they don’t know everything.  Their game plan in the first half was abysmal.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Does he though?  With his size/speed/hands combo (and no, I'm not saying he's "special" in any of those 3 dimensions, only that he's shown enough to say he can do the job as a deep threat) he's a guy you can "throw open" with back shoulder tosses, draw PI flags, and/or have him "post up" on smaller DB's when needed too.  

And he was open quite a lot last year.  Flacco found him and people who watch the games or analyze the plays reported he was open a lot for Darnold (who couldn't find him and also has poor deep ball accuracy).  

Not that I think much of Gase, but now you  have two different offensive coordinators who seem less thrilled about Mims than this board. They see him every day. I personally don't get it, but there is more to this situation than just a decision based on his athletic ability. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Augustiniak said:

It was the offensive coaching that didn’t adapt until late 3rd quarter, so maybe they realize they don’t know everything.  Their game plan in the first half was abysmal.

Well I'd rather they start poorly and make adjustments to improve than the alternative.  The Gase-led Jets had a lot of solid first possessions, because the first 10 plays or so are scripted and that's when Gase it at his best; scheming up plays that can be practiced heavily entering a game.  But beyond those plays, things tended to fall apart.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Well I'd rather they start poorly and make adjustments to improve than the alternative.  The Gase-led Jets had a lot of solid first possessions, because the first 10 plays or so are scripted and that's when Gase it at his best; scheming up plays that can be practiced heavily entering a game.  But beyond those plays, things tended to fall apart.  

True, you want to see improvement.  But if they bench mims again and the offense doesn’t score in the first half, that’s what concerns me.  Being stubborn to the point where they are hurting the offense and wilson.  

It was nice to see in game adjustments, and see the offense click.  That never happened with gase or bowles.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

True, you want to see improvement.  But if they bench mims again and the offense doesn’t score in the first half, that’s what concerns me.  Being stubborn to the point where they are hurting the offense and wilson.  

It was nice to see in game adjustments, and see the offense click.  That never happened with gase or bowles.

Yep.  Adjusting at halftime is one thing.  Learning from the experience and adjusting game to game will be another matter.

6 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Actually I really don't care that much what you think.  I am totally pissed that they are misusing the guy or not using at all. Sorry if my tone offends you; I hope you are kidding about that.  Bottom line is I'm sick of this team doing this over and over.   

I was merely gently ribbing you about the civil tone.  Your tone is passionate and conveys a deep enthusiasm for consuming media related to the New York Jets which, as a student of sports journalism, I think it deeply admirable despite our present disagreement about the merits of Denzel Mims as a Starting Wide Receiver in the National Football League.  

• Haha 1