Nothing in this game made me regret trading Sam

yvj

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

This is hilarious l. During a preseason game I pointed out how Davis had to stop and wait for a ball and he really did stop and wait for it. All Anderson did was slow down. Someone actually made a whole thread about comment describing what a perfect throw Zack made but when Sam does it, suddenly  it's  a bad thing. 

Look, I think Zack made some really good throws especially that last TD to Davis. That was an amazing throw. If so many passes weren't  dropped, we might have won, but Sam played well today. I didn't  see him make any really bad mistakes except for that one hand off and pretty much took what the Jets D gave which was enough. Zack was also rattled during sone drives which is ok. He will grow out of it but Sam played fine today. 

That td throw by ZW was very very nice

18 minutes ago, Death2NE said:

If we swapped Qbs today the panthers win 30-3 and it looks exactly like the offense from last season . . The panthers put up 19 points with the best rb in the game and two very good wrs , this is with no rush whatsoever to bother Darnold and still the best he could muster against a secondary with first and second year guys all over the place with no rush to help them out was checking down to mccafrey or 5 yards over the middle and one pass to Robby who was WIDE open and he had to take a little stutter step bc it was a little under thrown . If we had crowder today I think we win , crowder and Lawson ? 100% … Wilson would have been justified in having 5 turnovers today with how disgusting this line was in his first game , instead he almost every time threw a ball that at least gave the reciever a chance on it sometimes processing best place to go with ball in under 2.5 … It won’t be the narrative you hear on the radio or podcasts all week you’ll hear how awesome Darnold was and how Zach struggled . But that’s not at all what happened and after seeing Wilson handle pressure for first time we now know he isn’t going to fold and suck so if we can ever protect this kid and get him another legit weapon or Moore cleans the sh*t from his pants from today’s game or they let mims out of the doghouse or all those things , Wilson is going to be very good and watching the lasers he’s firing 20+ yards downfield is something I haven’t seen as a 32 year old jet fans , Darnold certainly does not have that kind of arm talent

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Someone really needs to show me where I said Zack sucked. I thought Zack was good. I also thought Darnold was good. You do remember  it was 16-0 Panthers at halftime. I credit the Jets D for getting its  collective  heads out of its ass and just allowing a FG the rest of the game but Sam was not bad. 

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Sam looked composed and had a good connection with CMC and Moore for a guy that just showed up

He just showed up?

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Actually of there was no pressure,  I would say our D was pedestrian,  not Sam. 

This brings me to another thought. Why do we have to suck for an entire half before we figure out what is wrong and fix it. God forbid we make a change to what is messed up during the first half. Again we are tortured with these slow starts. 

Sam had what 50 yards passing and 3 points in the second half while Zach and the Jets cut the lead to one score?  I would say giving up only 3 points in a half, 19 total is better than pedestrian.  Especially if Sam was as good as you seem convinced he was.

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Hilarious?

I don't care what you said in the past or what other knuckle head poster responded to you with. 

The reality is Sam was not particularly good today.  You can say whatever you want but he wasn't.

He wasn't bad, but NOTHING about his performance said "special".  And if you're not a "special" QB I want nothing to do with you - because you can't win a Super Bowl without a special one.  Not any more.

Thread Title "Nothing in this game made me regret trading Sam" and I couldn't agree with that statement more.

You don't  care because it makes your point look, well pointless. 

I think you were the one who also called me an anti-zackster or something  like that. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You don't  care because it makes your point look, well pointless. 

I think you were the one who also called me an anti-zackster or something  like that. 

I really don't care about my points.

And yes, from what I can tell, you have been an anit-zaxer....

I loved Sam and would like him to be good..He wasn't today.  

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He just showed up?

Sam had what 50 yards passing and 3 points in the second half while Zach and the Jets cut the lead to one score?  I would say giving up only 3 points in a half, 19 total is better than pedestrian.  Especially if Sam was as good as you seem convinced he was.

Let me ask you something. Did you ever feel in the second half the Jets were going to win? That they were going to climb out of the 16 to zip hole they dug in the first half? They scored 14 points. They could have shut the Panthers out in the second  half and would have still lost. 

The positive out of this is Zack made some great passes. Even the drops were great. The pass Moore dropped was perfectly placed. I believe Zack will be a good QB eventually, but I also believe Darnold is good and he played good today. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I really don't care about my points.

And yes, from what I can tell, you have been an anit-zaxer....

I loved Sam and would like him to be good..He wasn't today.  

If you want to call me that because I was jizzing in my pants over the guy the way some on this board have been, so be it. The truth is I haven't  seen him play against an NFL starting  D until today and he looked ok so I feel better about the pick. The guy I wanted was Fields so I wasn't  so excited about the Jets taking a QB with the second pick when we could have traded back and gotten the guy I wanted. 

Sue me.

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

If you want to call me that because I was jizzing in my pants over the guy the way some on this board have been, so be it. The truth is I haven't  seen him play against an NFL starting  D until today and he looked ok so I feel better about the pick. The guy I wanted was Fields so I wasn't  so excited about the Jets taking a QB with the second pick when we could have traded back and gotten the guy I wanted. 

Sue me.

Honestly, I'm sorry.  You're right...Your position on ZW/JF doesn't matter anymore. 

Glad you're on board.....

I just think the issue is/was Sam's performance today.  I just thought it was okay but nothing that made me regret the move. 

36 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Actually of there was no pressure,  I would say our D was pedestrian,  not Sam. 

This brings me to another thought. Why do we have to suck for an entire half before we figure out what is wrong and fix it. God forbid we make a change to what is messed up during the first half. Again we are tortured with these slow starts. 

The first half sucked, absolutely pathetic effort on both sides of the ball. Let’s hope next week we come out strong and don’t look back. That is on the coaches as well as our damn Oline. 

14 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Let me ask you something. Did you ever feel in the second half the Jets were going to win? That they were going to climb out of the 16 to zip hole they dug in the first half? They scored 14 points. They could have shut the Panthers out in the second  half and would have still lost. 

The positive out of this is Zack made some great passes. Even the drops were great. The pass Moore dropped was perfectly placed. I believe Zack will be a good QB eventually, but I also believe Darnold is good and he played good today. 

Yes, they were one score down and had shut Darold down and stopped the Panthers from scoring.  Why couldn't anyone think there was a chance to pull a win out of their ass?  They came 5 points short.  Did some of you forget that teams can come back and win games like this?  

You also haver to realize that Anderson got open and free for a gift TD when Joyner was injured and Redwine, who has been with the team less than a week was forced in to play and blew the coverage.  And if they didnt blow the coverage and give up a 7 point gift the Panthers would have lost.

Crazy right?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I have read this entire thread and really get the impression that everyone here just wants to bicker with each other rather than dispassionately analyze the game of football and the performance of the New York Jets.  I try to just watch the game and divorce my own ego from the process and in my experience it lets me pick up on the finer aspects of the game.  Perhaps next time you guys can detach yourself from the framework of whether or not you "regret" a trade. 

All that being said, Sam Darnold's performance suggests marginal improvement in his ability to take what the Defense gives him and not forcing the issue.  If he maintains this level of performance, there's a meaningful argument that a Second Round pick (possibly a late Second Round pick) was insufficient compensation to the Jets. 

^See what I did there?  Rather than speaking in the language of regrets, I focused my analysis on value, compensation, and team-building.  

• Upvote 1

wow some of you guys watched a different game.

that was the same Sam we had. he just had the 2nd best RB in the NFL . 

CMC beat us today. not Sam. they could have had PJ Walker in there and still won. 

Sam missed some throws. anyone remember in the redzone he had a WR make a slant right and he threw it over his head? he throws that on target and that's a TD and not a FG. same play that Wilson threw a strike for his 2nd TD. 

the TD to Robbie was a blown coverage. the Safety who replace Joyner was out of position. Redwine i think. i heard he got benched and will probably be cut this week. that must have been really bad for that to happen.

and the fumble? common man. a 4th year QB cant have his hand hit the FB, and on the goaline no less. that's more points that Sam cost them.

the 1st half was some of the worst football i ever seen and Carolina only scores 16 in the half. 

Sam is Sam. if a team can stop CMC you will see the same old Sam. Sam doesn't make his team better, his team makes him look good. and who wants a QB like that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes, they were one score down and had shut Darold down and stopped the Panthers from scoring.  Why couldn't anyone think there was a chance to pull a win out of their ass?  They came 5 points short.  Did some of you forget that teams can come back and win games like this?  

You also haver to realize that Anderson got open and free for a gift TD when Joyner was injured and Redwine, who has been with the team less than a week was forced in to play and blew the coverage.  And if they didnt blow the coverage and give up a 7 point gift the Panthers would have lost.

Crazy right?

Right, and if the bear didn't  srop to take a ?, he would have caught the rabbit. I didn't feel the Jets would win in the second half because, well we are the Jets. And once the Panthers kicked the FG and went up 2 scores, I knew that was all she wrote. I knew they would just run the ball with CMC and grind out the win. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Seibelt said:

The first half sucked, absolutely pathetic effort on both sides of the ball. Let’s hope next week we come out strong and don’t look back. That is on the coaches as well as our damn Oline. 

bright spot was that Saleh made some good half time adjustments. now he has to make some good 2nd game adjustments.

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Right, and if the bear didn't  srop to take a ?, he would have caught the rabbit. I didn't feel the Jets would win in the second half because, well we are the Jets. And once the Panthers kicked the FG and went up 2 scores, I knew that was all she wrote. I knew they would just run the ball with CMC and grind out the win. 

Other than that analogy has nothing to do with the reality of the situation, you might have a point.

8 min left and the Jets went down 2 scores and you just knew the Jets would lose?  Because they were the Jets?  Before the Jets scored a TD and lined up for the onside K?  Did you just walk away or did you watch? I mean, there was no reason to watch, us being the Jets.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

i felt the Jets would win because, well Sam is Sam

im not trying to be funny. after that 1st half was so bad against any other team i would have said no. but after seeing Sam up close for 3 years i just thought he would make some bonehead fumble or pick 6 or something. 

and he gave us one with that fumble. it definitely cost them a score, probably a TD.

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Are you also at peace with the fact that the Jets are putting Wilson out there with the same type of garbage OL they did with Sam?

Im glad you’re at peace with the decision, and your arbitrary ceiling nonsense, (yay Sam was the 42 ranked NFL QB last year) but think about this….

How many games do you think Zach will last this year taking the type of beating he did today, and how long do you think it will be before those beatings have him looking like Darnold did after dealing with them?

See, I came out of this thinking completely differently than you did. I’m incredibly frustrated right now. I’m thinking we might have finally gotten the right guy to play QB, but we’re going to throw him to the wolves.

Waaaaaaaa....  waaaaaaaaaaaa

It's a shame, the false hope Sam can play with one's heart. 

Z.Wilson didn't look like a bust, I knew the defense he was about to face. If we had switch Qbs, same out outcome, but it would've been a blowout.

At least ya'll got the most important position cover, hopefully we can make Sam look good enough to trade back for our 2nd, and maybe get a 3rd or 5th out the deal.

Oh, Can't say I really enjoyed, but I did appreciate the Jets fan sitting next to me, made rooting for the Panthers and yes even Darnold worth it, omg, we still better than the Jets at least...

But i dunno, we could be looking at two Superbowl contenders....sike, Rodgers Dat...if them Chiefs lost though...but nah yall can't even stop Darnold lol 

all's well that end well...

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, CpSinceDay1 said:

It's a shame, the false hope Sam can play with one's heart. 

Z.Wilson didn't look like a bust, I knew the defense he was about to face. If we had switch Qbs, same out outcome, but it would've been a blowout.

At least ya'll got the most important position cover, hopefully we can make Sam look good enough to trade back for our 2nd, and maybe get a 3rd or 5th out the deal.

Oh, Can't say I really enjoyed, but I did appreciate the Jets fan sitting next to me, made rooting for the Panthers and yes even Darnold worth it, omg, we still better than the Jets at least...

But i dunno, we could be looking at two Superbowl contenders....sike, Rodgers Dat...if them Chiefs lost though...but nah yall can't even stop Darnold lol 

all's well that end well...

so your forum liked what they seen from Sam?

im guessing you didnt since you think PJ Walker would have blown us out. and your looking to dump Sam 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, doitny said:

so your forum liked what they seen from Sam?

im guessing you didnt since you think PJ Walker would have blown us out. and your looking to dump Sam 

Mixed reactions...

Like take me for example, I said he did good, then you got people, who have been praising all year, afraid he's another Teddy, now they can't even hope to draft a QB...

It's pretty much the playcalling in the RedZone, which falls on Brady. But Sam earned my respect for stepping up, and not losing to the Jets. First game, old team, a lot of pressure to overcome, granted, the team he was facing wasn't like some past team he's won 3 superbowls with. 

I think, first game, was sloppy. But being able to hold on to a lead, was different. 

Sam's first pick 6, trust he'll lose the Huddle forever....Cam gets no respect, Delhomme still gets talked about the AZ game...so it's only a matter time before we start echoing this forum in regards to Sam.

Btw, good luck the rest of the season, was kidding but I wouldn't mind a rematch in the bowl

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Nothing from today or anything else should make us regret trading Sam. 

Zach is going to be a great NFL QB. I think top 5 at a minimum. 

But it’s clear Sam does not suck. Will be a 10 year starter. 

No reason to keep perpetuating the buffoonery.  

Zach will be truly broken before the end of the season with this line. Panthers are not even that good. What happens to Wilson when he faces truly elite pass rushers?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, CpSinceDay1 said:

Mixed reactions...

Like take me for example, I said he did good, then you got people, who have been praising all year, afraid he's another Teddy, now they can't even hope to draft a QB...

It's pretty much the playcalling in the RedZone, which falls on Brady. But Sam earned my respect for stepping up, and not losing to the Jets. First game, old team, a lot of pressure to overcome, granted, the team he was facing wasn't like some past team he's won 3 superbowls with. 

I think, first game, was sloppy. But being able to hold on to a lead, was different. 

Sam's first pick 6, trust he'll lose the Huddle forever....Cam gets no respect, Delhomme still gets talked about the AZ game...so it's only a matter time before we start echoing this forum in regards to Sam.

Btw, good luck the rest of the season, was kidding but I wouldn't mind a rematch in the bowl

funny how both our fanbases are in the same boat.

you got most of this forum including me who don't want to see Sam do good so our decision to change QBs was right.

and you guys are doing the same with Teddy except i have been to the huddle. i know every one of you except for that one Teddy fan wanted him gone. now he just had a pretty good game vs the Giants. so now its Teddy vs Sam for the whole season.

i would love a rematch on week 10 or so. i knew this wouldnt be a good game being the 1st for 12 rookies and a QB, HC, OC, DC... 

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  know what you were watching. Sam looked composed and had a good connection with CMC and Moore for a guy that just showed up and completed a really nice long pass to Anderson. He was far from pedestrian today. This whole dumping on Sam thing is getting ridiculous 

I'm not sure good connection with CMC is a trait that should be applauded. I would think most QBs should be able to hand of and dump it to the RB.

His throws to Moore and Robby were good for sure. That said, I really do think Zach looks like a far better QB when given any time to throw.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Other than that analogy has nothing to do with the reality of the situation, you might have a point.

8 min left and the Jets went down 2 scores and you just knew the Jets would lose?  Because they were the Jets?  Before the Jets scored a TD and lined up for the onside K?  Did you just walk away or did you watch? I mean, there was no reason to watch, us being the Jets.

I watched because I was interested in seeing the new players. In all truthfulness,  the only reason I watched was to see how the young players did. I stopped watching every Jets game years ago because I have better things to do on most Sundays. 

2 hours ago, doitny said:

i felt the Jets would win because, well Sam is Sam

im not trying to be funny. after that 1st half was so bad against any other team i would have said no. but after seeing Sam up close for 3 years i just thought he would make some bonehead fumble or pick 6 or something. 

and he gave us one with that fumble. it definitely cost them a score, probably a TD.

If Gase was his coach, I would say you have a point. The Sam you are referring to was never given a chance to succeed. If you wanted to sabotage a young  QB, would you do anything different than what the  Jets did to Sam?

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

I have read this entire thread and really get the impression that everyone here just wants to bicker with each other rather than dispassionately analyze the game of football and the performance of the New York Jets.  I try to just watch the game and divorce my own ego from the process and in my experience it lets me pick up on the finer aspects of the game.  Perhaps next time you guys can detach yourself from the framework of whether or not you "regret" a trade. 

All that being said, Sam Darnold's performance suggests marginal improvement in his ability to take what the Defense gives him and not forcing the issue.  If he maintains this level of performance, there's a meaningful argument that a Second Round pick (possibly a late Second Round pick) was insufficient compensation to the Jets. 

^See what I did there?  Rather than speaking in the language of regrets, I focused my analysis on value, compensation, and team-building.  

After reading two of his posts, I already know this guy is going to be really annoying. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

After reading two of his posts, I already know this guy is going to be really annoying. 

I am open to criticism and trying to learn from others.  So, if I am annoying, you can provide me with direct criticism either on a public forum or in a message and I will attempt to internalize your feedback.  You do not need to signal to others that I will be annoying in order to signal your status as a member of the in-crowd, and my respective status as an outsider, in order to shame me into better posts or to ostracize me.  

23 minutes ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

I am open to criticism and trying to learn from others.  So, if I am annoying, you can provide me with direct criticism either on a public forum or in a message and I will attempt to internalize your feedback.  You do not need to signal to others that I will be annoying in order to signal your status as a member of the in-crowd, and my respective status as an outsider, in order to shame me into better posts or to ostracize me.  

Never mind all that, I just noticed your avatar. 

I can’t believe we lost to Rutgers yesterday. At home. ?