Nothing in this game made me regret trading Sam

yvj

14 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I like to think of the trade as all of us are in a better place.

I would agree with that. Sam is clearly better off -- the contrast between what each QB was facing/dealing with was glaring. The Panthers are just a better team across the board. I think I underestimated their defense.

I'm not sold that the Panthers will stick with him long term -- next week against the Saints will be an interesting case, I'm curious to see how he performs in that situation.

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I would agree with that. Sam is clearly better off -- the contrast between what each QB was facing/dealing with was glaring. The Panthers are just a better team across the board. I think I underestimated their defense.

I'm not sold that the Panthers will stick with him long term -- next week against the Saints will be an interesting case, I'm curious to see how he performs in that situation.

If you projected Sam Darnold's stats yesterday for an entire season they would be almost identical with Teddy Bs. stats for the entire year last year.  McCarrery only played in 3 games last year.  

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

If you projected Sam Darnold's stats yesterday for an entire season they would be almost identical with Teddy Bs. stats for the entire year last year.  McCarrery only played in 3 games last year.  

He played the worst defense in football.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, doitny said:

the knock isn't that he threw it to CMC. the knock is when guys like you say it was his best game and it was but CMC had 50% of there yds. anybody can hand it off or pass it 2 yds. and watch CMC run it for another 8 plus. 

Sam miss 2 open WRs in the end zone. that's where it counts. not encouraging. 

and did you miss the bonehead fumble.? another mistake in the end zone.

you said we are insecure?. you said the Panthers should be encouraged? well i went to the Huddle last night to see just that and they are more insecure than us and they won. lol must be a fan thing.

funny how they thought there OL was the worst thing. i didn't see it. they also thought Rhule got outcoached by Saleh cause of the 2nd half adjustments. 

and there cautiously optimistic about Sam. for pretty much what i mentioned above. they know those miss opportunities in the end zone wont fly with about 3/4 of the league. hell that almost didn't fly with us despite how bad we played.

I never said it was his "best game".  I said it was his best "opening day" game. 

QB's miss throws.  It happens to the very best.  I didnt forget about the fumble but that wasnt Sam doing something stupid/making a dumb decision, their timing was just off.  It wasnt like when Zach threw it directly to a defender or just coughed it up on a sack that they luckily recovered, it was a botched hand off.  If this was something that plagued Sam prior to arriving to Carolina, ok, I'm listening but I'd be willing to bet that doesnt happen again.  I dont see that as an egregious example of Sam sucks type play that we've become accustomed as Jets fans.  Fair if you do, I dont.

Probably a fan thing but I'm a Jets fan and we do this, all the time.  We are the worst scorned lovers I've ever seen.

If I were a Carolina fan, I'd be very encouraged but that might because my expectations are very low when it comes Sam.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Flightattendant said:

You said it right here. Sam isn't a top 10 qb. So we did right trading him for someone who may or may not be. One thing for sure is that we won't be paying Zack like a top 10 qb next year. Sam on the other hand...

Also yeah he had a good game. Not very good. Just good. Take away CMC. Take away Moore. Take away Anderson. What do you have? Same guy we drafted 3+yrs ago.

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not 

I said I don't regret the trade and am glad we have Zach.  Check.  

I said Sam isn't a top 10 QB. Check. 

Very good versus good is a subjective opinion. Check. 

Take away his top 3 weapons? 

Lolwhut.  That's not the basis for a logical discussion.  

Btw, that's kind of the point about why some folks still believe Sam can be a long term starter in the NFL and why, possibly, he was pretty bad during his Jet career.  

Again, love Zach, think he's going to be top 5 some day, possibly top 2-3.

Sam will be in the league for a very long time.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Darnold haters last 3 years "He just sucks"

Darnold supporters: "Let see how he plays when he finally has time and some weapons."

Darnold Haters now "Well of course he played well, he had time and weapons."

Darnold supporters "Duh, that's all we have argued the last 3 years." 

not all of us. some of us argued that he would have showed us something with what he had.

do you realized we almost won the game? we were down 5 points. one score. the game was in reach.

and our RBs avg  2.64 ypc while CMC avged  4.7 . do you think they win with the rushing game we had?

Wilson almost got killed by the OL 6 sacks and 10 hits. we already have seen how Sam reacts to that. he would have seen ghosts.

Sam NEEDS the weapons. but sometimes there not there. there injured or defenses plan to shut them down. 

Wilson's had 2 top WRs out. the rest of his offense was invisible. yet he showed us that he could still keep us in a game. you know Sam would not have been close to keeping us in this game if he was our QB yesterday.

39 minutes ago, doitny said:

not all of us. some of us argued that he would have showed us something with what he had.

do you realized we almost won the game? we were down 5 points. one score. the game was in reach.

and our RBs avg  2.64 ypc while CMC avged  4.7 . do you think they win with the rushing game we had?

Wilson almost got killed by the OL 6 sacks and 10 hits. we already have seen how Sam reacts to that. he would have seen ghosts.

Sam NEEDS the weapons. but sometimes there not there. there injured or defenses plan to shut them down. 

Wilson's had 2 top WRs out. the rest of his offense was invisible. yet he showed us that he could still keep us in a game. you know Sam would not have been close to keeping us in this game if he was our QB yesterday.

And do you realize you are arguing with someone that has repeatedly said he preferred trading Darnold and drafting Wilson? The point is that the Darnold haters appear wrong when they thought he would be bad even with a better supporting cast. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Only recently did Chad Pennington stop being a frequent topic of conversation.  If you're bothered by Sam Darnold discussions the day after way play him for the first time, I'd suggest Jet Nation Dot Com is not the right hobby.

Not bothered about it at all.  I think you’re reading too much into it.  

1 hour ago, undertow said:

The people who wanted to keep Darnold seemed to have moved on after Wilson was drafted the ones that wanted him gone are still angry and talking about him on a daily basis it's kinda bizarre. 

Exactly.  Look I’ve always like Sam BUT I was ready to move on and restart the rookie contract clock.  I also felt Sam was in a dreadful situation but was a supper professional about it and deserved a better situation.  It’s perfectly fine to make criticisms but there seems to be a select group that seem to have a lot of venom toward him which is very hard to understand why.  I understand why many(like myself) dislike Adams because he was a cancer.  Anyway my focus  is on Wilson now who showed a lot of good things in the second half 

• Upvote 3

Its okay to admit that Sam played well.  He was solid, hit an open receiver for a TD when he had the chance, made plays when they were there to be made, got the ball in the hands of his best playmaker and avoided the big mistake.  Nothing spectacular, but he had a good game. 

Still, I am glad he is in Carolina and happy we have Wilson.  Yesterday he was good and deserved the W.  

Does not matter to me what he does the rest of the season except that we have a couple of their picks, so I hope his team loses a lot.  Whether he plays well or not doesn't matter.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Lol - Jets fans and their insecurities.

It's Monday, the Jets are 0-1 and the Panters are 1-0.  A very large part of the reason they are 0-1 is because Sam Darnold had the best opening day of his career and connected with former Jets WR, Robby Anderson for a 60 yard TD.  Like all QB's, he missed some passes but he made the ones he needed to when it mattered.   Knocking him for throwing the ball to the best weapon in Football, might be one of the dumbest exercise in mental gymnastics I've ever seen.  Suddenly, standing the pocket taking pressure, giving what the D gives you and getting the ball to your best player, is a negative.  lmfao.

Jets fans, it's week 1.  We'll see how this Darnold experiment works in Carolina but I'd be encouraged if were them, you didnt see any of the boneheaded sh*t that makes Darnold a liability.  He just missed a few throws on opening day.  Wilson missed a few throws too, they werent nail in the coffin TD's like Sam but he missed throws because that's what QB's do.  Nobody is perfect, except Jameis Winston.

Throwing to McCaffrey was the right call and I won't knock that.  But I will knock the idea that that is going to be a sustainable means of putting together winnable performances.  Better teams will either take that away from him or limit the damage, forcing Darnold to beat them, and that will not go well.

The Saints (2x), Bucs (2x), Patriots, Bills, Vikings and WFT will eat the Darnold-led offense alive.  And the Panthers aren't winning shootouts with the Cowboys or Cardinals, either.  That's 9 or 10 losses right there.  Much like us, the Panthers' ceiling this year is probably about 7 wins.  And that's not what you sign on for when you trade a 2 & a 4 for a veteran QB and then hand him a $20M 5th-year option for 2022.

10 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Exactly.  Look I’ve always like Sam BUT I was ready to move on and restart the rookie contract clock.  I also felt Sam was in a dreadful situation but was a supper professional about it and deserved a better situation.  It’s perfectly fine to make criticisms but there seems to be a select group that seem to have a lot of venom toward him which is very hard to understand why.  I understand why many(like myself) dislike Adams because he was a cancer.  Anyway my ducts is on Wilson now who showed a lot of good things in the second half 

I was in favor of keeping him but after watching him yesterday the right move was made he was missing guys all over the field and that game should have been out of reach at half time....I'll just never understand the vitriol towards the guy he was a class act who was given no talent and Adam Gase....Plus I haven't seen one poster say we made a mistake so what's the problem? lol

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Throwing to McCaffrey was the right call and I won't knock that.  But I will knock the idea that that is going to be a sustainable means of putting together winnable performances.  Better teams will either take that away from him or limit the damage, forcing Darnold to beat them, and that will not go well.

The Saints (2x), Bucs (2x), Patriots, Bills, Vikings and WFT will eat the Darnold-led offense alive.  And the Panthers aren't winning shootouts with the Cowboys or Cardinals, either.  That's 9 or 10 losses right there.  Much like us, the Panthers' ceiling this year is probably about 7 wins.  And that's not what you sign on for when you trade a 2 & a 4 for a veteran QB and then hand him a $20M 5th-year option for 2022.

Never said it was sustainable only that "we'll see if this experiment works".  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

And do you realize you are arguing with someone that has repeatedly said he preferred trading Darnold and drafting Wilson? The point is that the Darnold haters appear wrong when they thought he would be bad even with a better supporting cast. 

its only one game. better teams will figure out how to stop CMC and then we will see if Sam can do with his WR weapons. CMC is a super RB. 

Sam on a decent team is Andy Dalton. Nothing from yesterday should alarm anyone. If you actually watched the game you still saw the warts: two easy TDs missed with poor throws, the bonehead fumble inside the five on a botched hand off. We adjusted at halftime and he was 7/13 for 45 yards in the second half of a close game. Once we took away the easy checkdown the Panthers offense didn't do much. 

Just wait until the Panthers face better teams and the opposition gets some film on Sam in this new system. He'll obviously be better than he ever was in New York, but he'll be a middling QB for his entire career. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, undertow said:

The people who wanted to keep Darnold seemed to have moved on after Wilson was drafted the ones that wanted him gone are still angry and talking about him on a daily basis it's kinda bizarre. 

The Sam haters yesterday was a traumatic event.  The watched the guy who they all swore was maybe only slightly better than Hackenberg not only beat the Jets but beat Chris Simms’ golden boy the anointed one Zach

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

The Sam haters yesterday was a traumatic event.  The watched the guy who they all swore was maybe only slightly better than Hackenberg not only beat the Jets but beat Chris Simms’ golden boy the anointed one Zach

I wanted to keep Sam and I didn't think he played that great...missed a few wide open guys fumbled the ball inside the 5 honestly that game shoulda been 28-0 at half. I root for the guy though hopefully he lights it up this year. 

4 minutes ago, undertow said:

I wanted to keep Sam and I didn't think he played that great...missed a few wide open guys fumbled the ball inside the 5 honestly that game shoulda been 28-0 at half. I root for the guy though hopefully he lights it up this year. 

The root cause of the Jets sucking is still there.  We have no roster.

I want to see Zach succeed not only as a fan but I think overall it would be great for the NFL for the Jets to be not a joke again.  The NBA was so much more interesting this season when the Knicks were actually competitive 

The Panthers made a different bet.  

They have Sam cheap this year and relatively cheap next year.  

Sam is a decent QB.  Under this Panthers regime he can be Andy Dalton.  He will make good money in the NFL.   I don't know how many playoff games he wins.   The Panthers will have a lower chance of being able to draft a replacement, but look where Fields and Jones went this year.  

The Jets have the better deal and the better NFL QB, if they don't kill him.  

The Panthers were better off picking Mac Jones than trading draft capital for Sam Darnold. 

5 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

They're gonna honor that sunken cost for a good while.  The 5th year option gives him 2 years there.  And beyond that they may convince themselves he's the guy if he only performs bad instead of performing like a travesty.  

48 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

The problem wasn’t dumping Sam in favor of another QB.  The problem is we never addressed the real problem which was the the horrible roster

You can argue Douglas isn't doing well at addressing the rest of the roster, but you can't argue he isn't addressing it.  Brand new WR corps (including two high picks), two 1st round picks used at LT and LG, some pretty good coin spent on a C and not one but two Right Tackles, and even some resources spent on the defense (imagine if Lawson hadn't gotten hurt, for instance) while he was at it.  With a ton of picks coming up in 2022 to boot, and plenty of cap space, a lot of which will most definitely be used. 

The only position he hasn't addressed is TE, and I am very confident a high pick is getting used there in the 2022 draft.

I fully admit they jury is still out on Douglas but he absolutely is addressing the rest of the roster.  

48 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

I'm a Sam hater and I was confident we'd lose pre-game.  I said it would be an ugly 16-13 type game and it ended up being 19-14.  No trauma at all. 

Darnold is exactly who we thought he is and that team's ceiling is 7 wins this year with him under center.

33 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Panthers made a different bet.  

They have Sam cheap this year and relatively cheap next year.  

Sam is a decent QB.  Under this Panthers regime he can be Andy Dalton.  He will make good money in the NFL.   I don't know how many playoff games he wins.   The Panthers will have a lower chance of being able to draft a replacement, but look where Fields and Jones went this year.  

There was no good reason for the Panthers to hand him the 5th-year option, nor was there any good reason not to draft Fields or Jones with both on the board for them.  Hell, even taking a Kyle Trask or Kellen Mond in round 2 would have been more than acceptable decisions. 

Even if you think Darnold has a future, you always have to hedge your bets on QB's, especially one who was the lowest-ranked starting QB in the NFL 3 straight years.

And it's funny you compare Darnold to Dalton, because the Bears have both Dalton AND Fields.  Why settle for a Dalton as your locked in QB1 when you don't have to?

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm a Sam hater and I was confident we'd lose pre-game.  I said it would be an ugly 16-13 type game and it ended up being 19-14.  No trauma at all. 

Darnold is exactly who we thought he is and that team's ceiling is 7 wins this year with him under center.

If darnold didn’t have mccaffrey, we’d have watched a different game.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If darnold didn’t have mccaffrey, we’d have watched a different game.  

And even WITH McCaffrey, he isn't going to have games like yesterday all season.  As if putting up 19 points is super impressive in today's NFL to begin with....

If that was the best we're going to see out of Darnold this year (pretty likely), Panthers fans are in for a long year.  And it'll get worse if/when CMC goes down.  

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And even WITH McCaffrey, he isn't going to have games like yesterday all season.  As if putting up 19 points is super impressive in today's NFL to begin with....

If that was the best we're going to see out of Darnold this year (pretty likely), Panthers fans are in for a long year.  And it'll get worse if/when CMC goes down.  

True, better defenses are going to make that harder for him.  And give the jets coaches credit, they shut them down in the 2nd half.  And this is a defense starting basically all rookie cbs and very little experience overall.  

Actually darnold yesterday was the same guy we had for 3 years.  A few good throws, some questionable ones, a nice td pass and then utter failure in the red zone.  Gives you enough to leave you with some hope but overall, still a below average qb. 

• Upvote 1

The only reason I wanted to keep Sam another year was to get a ton of draft capital by trading away #2. I wanted the team to be better before we drafted our QB. If Sam turned it around great (not likely), if not the new kid would come in during year 2 with the staff and players getting a chance to settle in and the extra picks could have shored up the OL. Plus coming in during year 2 would give him an extra year of rebuilding over Zack. It was NEVER about Sam.

I don't know if there wasn't the big trade available or they just loved Zack. Either way, I am glad Zack is here - hopefully he can be really special. I hope we don't ruin him.