Only rushing 4 in the 1st half is why we lost this game

Saleh was banking that his front 4 would be able to get to Darnold.  It didnt happen.  Quinnen williams was completely non existant.

Now the good news is Saleh was able to see his plan wasnt working and adjusted in the 2nd half.  Once we starting blitzing Darnold, he did not do much for the rest of the game.

I know the oline sucked etc, but I believe the reason we lost is because we gave Sam too much time in the 1st half.  And alot of that falls on Quinnen Williams.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Saleh was banking that his front 4 would be able to get to Darnold.  It didnt happen.  Quinnen williams was completely non existant.

Now the good news is Saleh was able to see his plan wasnt working and adjusted in the 2nd half.  Once we starting blitzing Darnold, he did not do much for the rest of the game.

I know the oline sucked etc, but I believe the reason we lost is because we gave Sam too much time in the 1st half.  And alot of that falls on Quinnen Williams.

When your defense holds a team to 19 points you should win the game every time. 

Rushing 4 wasn'tthe issue. It had everything to do with letting CMC be Darnolds security blanket the first half.  When they adjusted at halftime and took CMC away Darnold struggled like we thought he would.  

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Little no adjustments were made and we couldn't stop 1 man CMC. 

They stopped him in the 2nd half bc of adjustments.

They protected Wilson better in the 2nd half bc they started using TE's to help the tackles. 

Both huge adjustments that helped the team almost come back. But other then that there were no adjustments. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The defense had NOTHING to do with why we lost this game.

• Upvote 3

The entire defensive philosophy relies on the front 4 getting pressure.  Period.  We just don't have the horses to do it with consistency with no Lawson.

But having said that, JFM made some really nice plays today and the push in the middle looked good at times, so perhaps we can figure something out.  The D wasn't nearly as bad as many here expected it would be today. 

Point being, however, don't expect us to suddenly start sending a bunch of extra blitzers regardless of whether we're getting much pressure from the front 4.  This is a Cover-3 scheme.  It doesn't work like that.  We're gonna live and die by sending 4 and dropping 7 back a lot of the time. 

Next draft we'll likely use our first or 2nd pick on an EDGE guy, we'll get Lawson back, and things will be a lot more fun on the defensive side of the ball.

• Upvote 3

Our offense is focused around establishing itself through the run, but obviously it doesn't look like we can do that. 

We played so much better once adjusted towards the pass. I hope we build on that instead of try the good ol ground and pound against the pats until we're losing by three scores. Trying to run is always useful, but if it's not working then STOP before it's too late.

2 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Our offense is focused around establishing itself through the run, but obviously it doesn't look like we can do that. 

We played so much better once adjusted towards the pass. I hope we build on that instead of try the good ol ground and pound against the pats until we're losing by three scores. Trying to run is always useful, but if it's not working then STOP before it's too late.

This.  The entire offensive game plan in the first half was flawed.  Carolina made sure to send enough guys to stop the run and generate pressure and this blew up the offense.  No running lanes and no time for wilson to set.  Once they changed things up in the 2nd half it looked a lot better.  It was nice to see the adjustments for a change, but this does run contrary to what they want to do philosophically.  Wilson throws so well on the run i think they need to have him rolling out a fair amount to help out the line and give guys like mims and moore time to get downfield.  That will also help open up the run.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Oh please. This was a team suck effort on both O and D. 

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This.  The entire offensive game plan in the first half was flawed.  Carolina made sure to send enough guys to stop the run and generate pressure and this blew up the offense.  No running lanes and no time for wilson to set.  Once they changed things up in the 2nd half it looked a lot better.  It was nice to see the adjustments for a change, but this does run contrary to what they want to do philosophically.  Wilson throws so well on the run i think they need to have him rolling out a fair amount to help out the line and give guys like mims and moore time to get downfield.  That will also help open up the run.  

The problem with the run is our RB's aren't  very good. We have a bunch of third down backs. The fact that we got virtually  no run blocking  from the OL also didn't  help.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

We need more rushing yards,

we need sacks…did we even get one today?

JFM had a great one, but none of the interior guys did anything other than dance with his blocker.  Our Oline just watched as Panthers did stunts right past them while our Dline had no moves at all.  Very disappointing.

26 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The defensive front 4 in general was non existent for 4 quarters... The "supposed" strength of the team was obsolete today... They as a group should take this Very Personally... Saleh's "D" "unleashes" the front 4, they really have Zero responsibilities, just get off the ball & attack... each front 4 player this off season stated how this defense was so conducive to their style of play & they as a group laid an egg. 

34 minutes ago, choon328 said:

They stopped him in the 2nd half bc of adjustments.

They protected Wilson better in the 2nd half bc they started using TE's to help the tackles. 

Both huge adjustments that helped the team almost come back. But other then that there were no adjustments. 

I was referring to the first half of football. 

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This team is going to be fairly run-heavy because of the success of the system.  Give it time as the OL figures things out in this scheme.  The run game will become Wilson's best friend.  

I have no problem with a run heavy scheme, i do have a problem of running on 1st down all the time and then being 3rd and long.  Throw some safe short passes instead of a run on 1st down, make the other team loosen up a bit.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I have no problem with a run heavy scheme, i do have a problem of running on 1st down all the time and then being 3rd and long.  Throw some safe short passes instead of a run on 1st down, make the other team loosen up a bit.

Fair enough.  I got excited on the very first play when we pitched it left, into the supposed strength of the line.  But when it only gained 1 yard I knew right away it would be tough sledding today.